Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 23:44   #6586
Senior - BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

For a change , we started early morning at 430 from Mangalore. Took us 6.15 hours including the breakfast stop at Kamat.

We encountered some of the heaviest fog I have ever seen on NH48 ( but nothing like the one I saw in December ). Hence , I was driving slow and cautiously. There were the occasional idiots who were driving with high beams and overtaking close even in such heavy fog. Visibility was down to a few car lengths at regular intervals between Mani and Hassan !

There were a couple of accidents we saw on the way just after Sakleshpur. At one place , there was a head on collision between a Bangalore bound bus ( Reshma travels ) and a Chevy Beat while there was another crash involving 3 cars at the speedbreakers just before Hassan. Easily a case of reckless driving and inexperience of driving in such heavy fog

Attaching a video of a near miss between an excavator and a tanker truck. The hapless truck driver can be heard honking desperately while the excavator driver is driving blind in the fog. Had it been one of those KA 51 cabbies instead of the truck , the story would have had a different ending for sure

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453832061.191294.jpgThe art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453832080.118513.jpg

Last edited by speedsatya : 26th January 2016 at 23:48.
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 00:00   #6587
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
The hapless truck driver can be heard honking desperately while the excavator driver is driving blind in the fog.
It appears from the video that the truck was on the wrong side of the divider, on the fast lane, while the excavator in all probability didn't expect the truck there in the first place.
Driving through fog needs a lot of caution and slow manageable speeds to react to such situations.
Old 27th January 2016, 07:53   #6588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
It appears from the video that the truck was on the wrong side of the divider, on the fast lane, while the excavator in all probability didn't expect the truck there in the first place.

That's a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic. The median you see on the RHS is the separator for the bye-lane to park vehicles on the other side. So the truck was on the correct side , maybe the other driver had dozed off or maybe he was a newbie in that area and assumed that's a median with no oncoming traffic
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 09:45   #6589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
For a change , we started early morning at 430 from Mangalore. Took us 6.15 hours including the breakfast stop at Kamat.

We encountered some of the heaviest fog I have ever seen on NH48 ( but nothing like the one I saw in December ). Hence , I was driving slow and cautiously. There were the occasional idiots who were driving with high beams and overtaking close even in such heavy fog. Visibility was down to a few car lengths at regular intervals between Mani and Hassan !
Indeed it was one of the heaviest fog that I have encountered. I had left 5.30 from Puttur in my C5 and visibility was getting reduced further after 2 hair pin curves and till Hassan bypass the visibility was very poor. Add to that I saw many idiots driving very fast with no lights switched on in their cars, with near zero visibility it is a perfect recipe for disaster. Talking about the crash involving 3 cars, this is the case of not maintaining proper distance from the car ahead of you, I can say almost 90% of time newbies in this route miss to notice the speedbreaker in this spot and after noticing at the last moment, out of panic they apply brakes and end result is this. Whenever I reach this spot or any spot which has speadbreakers, I used to check my rear mirror first, just to be on safer side and avoid someone rear ending my bullet and running over me

Last edited by DragonHawk : 27th January 2016 at 09:48.
Old 28th January 2016, 01:19   #6590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Indeed it was one of the heaviest fog that I have encounteredl

This was between Sakleshpur and Hassan. See the way the Getz driver just makes it in front of the tanker at 1.10
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 22:50   #6591

Hi folks,

I'm travelling from Bangalore to Mangalore over the weekend 30 Jan. Wanted to check if Shirdi ghat Road is motorable? Will be driving XUV 500 and during day time. Thanks for the advice!
Old 29th January 2016, 09:16   #6592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchmeifuwant View Post
Hi folks,

I'm travelling from Bangalore to Mangalore over the weekend 30 Jan. Wanted to check if Shirdi ghat Road is motorable? Will be driving XUV 500 and during day time. Thanks for the advice!
Yes. It is in good condition.
DejavuTrip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 08:26   #6593
Senior - BHPian

Shiradi Ghat may close by Feb 10. Else the work may be pushed to December. Article in TOI
Old 31st January 2016, 09:59   #6594
Senior - BHPian

Speed bump warning: For anyone travelling via Mulky to Mangalore in NH 66 / 17. There used to be a small culvert / bridge about 2 kms from Mulky bus-stand before the 2 laning started. While travelling by express bus years back, anyone sitting on the last row would jump up 2 feet when the bus went over this bridge.

This ought to have been fixed but alas it had not.

It a nice and fast stretch of road where you get to rev the engine. But then the bridge is just high enough to act like a big road hump. You will not scrape the underbody but there is very good chance to losing control over the vehicle if you don't know it's coming up.

I was going at 80 and the car was almost a foot off the tarmac. Also noticed a lot of swaying tyre marks on the road - typical of vehicles trying to regain control.

So, be careful.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 19:21   #6595
BHPian

Had my first encounter with an Interceptor in this route today, just before the 2nd toll gate coming from Hassan and lost Rs.300. Never had seen one in my regular drives the past 6 years. I don't know how does one really maintain 80Kmph on this road.
Old 1st February 2016, 19:26   #6596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Had my first encounter with an Interceptor in this route today, just before the 2nd toll gate coming from Hassan and lost Rs.300. Never had seen one in my regular drives the past 6 years. I don't know how does one really maintain 80Kmph on this road.
Tough, isn't it? Were they positioned around a curve?

The online shopping sites should start selling radar detectors now.
Old 1st February 2016, 22:24   #6597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Tough, isn't it? Were they positioned around a curve?

The online shopping sites should start selling radar detectors now.
Exactly, a curve leading to a long straight.
We need a waze (https://www.waze.com/) like service now since our highways have become much better but speed limits are still in the stone age .
Old 2nd February 2016, 07:11   #6598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Same here. Around noon, we got bumped for over speeding. He said we were doing 110 in 80 zone. I told him it's impossible to maintain 80 on these highways, he said they do it once a month in different locations as they have to meet targets 😡
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:34   #6599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Same here. Around noon, we got bumped for over speeding. He said we were doing 110 in 80 zone. I told him it's impossible to maintain 80 on these highways, he said they do it once a month in different locations as they have to meet targets 😡
Oh we must have just missed each other .
Old 3rd February 2016, 21:55   #6600
BHPian

Though I have gleaned lots of information from TBHP so far, this is my first post here Anyways, does anyone know if the NITK toll-booth has any exemptions for local (KA19, KA20) vehicles? I have heard/seen varying takes on this; I have myself been let go twice, stopped once in the last 10 days. Any such experience?

Most Viewed