Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 11:46   #6661
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Kukke-Kadaba-Alankaru-Uppinangadi-Mangalore - Excellent
Mangalore - Bajpe - Kateel -Mulki - Udupi- Kundapura - Good roads
Did a weekend Bangalore-Udupi drive. Rough patches on Gundya-Uppinangadi-BC Road stretch have been freshly tarred. Now pretty good drive all the way to Mangalore.

Mangalore-Udupi -> The only sore point is around Padubidri. Wonder when will that stretch ever be solved.
Haleyangadi old bridge was being tarred, so all the traffic was diverted onto the new bridge.
The new toll gate near Hejmadi should be ready in a month's time. Drives to hometown just keep getting costlier all the time
Old 29th March 2016, 19:23   #6662
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. This is the route that I took. I drove from ITPL to Udupi and back. The rest were taxi rides.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-route.jpg  

Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 19:53   #6663
BHPian

Hi All,

Another South Kanara trip next week. Need your advice! Just wife & me in the car.

Question 1:

Monday I leave Bangalore for Neelavar; this is off Brahmavar - Hebri Road. I plan to go via Hassan - Shiradi - Nellyadi - Belthangady - Bajagoli - Karkala - Hiriadka - Kukkehalli - Cherkady - Left on Brahmavar - Hebri Road. Map.

My concerns are a) quality of the road once I take the Belthangady road after Nellyadi and before Uppinangadi and b) quality and safety of the road past Hiriadka. Instead should I go from Hiriadka to Manipal, join the main Hwy, and turn right at Brahmavar? I usually go to Mangalore first and then take the highway to Brahmavar.

Question 2:

Monday night I will end up in Mangalore. Tuesday right after lunch, I leave for Sirsi. Will head back to Mangalore Wednesday either after breakfast or mid-morning. Is the best route still the coastal Hwy from Mangalore and then right at Kumta to Sirsi, and back the same way?

Thanks very much!
Old 13th April 2016, 09:29   #6664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
b) quality and safety of the road past Hiriadka. Instead should I go from Hiriadka to Manipal, join the main Hwy, and turn right at Brahmavar? I usually go to Mangalore first and then take the highway to Brahmavar.!
I took this road sometime in September last year, since I got bored of the regular route via Manipal and Udupi. It is a single lane road for most of the part and condition was decent at that time. There is hardly any traffic in this route until you get into hebri-brahmavar road.

You have to take one right turn near kukkehalli, just after the school which is very easy to miss and if you continue straight, you will reach the highway at kolalagiri.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 12:33   #6665
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Another South Kanara trip next week. Need your advice! Just wife & me in the car.

Question 1:

Monday I leave Bangalore for Neelavar; this is off Brahmavar - Hebri Road. I plan to go via Hassan - Shiradi - Nellyadi - Belthangady - Bajagoli - Karkala - Hiriadka - Kukkehalli - Cherkady - Left on Brahmavar - Hebri Road. Map.
Is there any reason for you to take Shiradi route. It is sure fastest route. Better route would be via Chennarayapatna -> Arsikere -> Shimoga -> Thirthahalli -> Agumbe -> Hebri -> Nellyadi.

After Chennarayapatna its two lane with lots of shades. With this heat heat its better route, roads are good all the way.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 15:18   #6666
BHPian

Ragu, I am constrained in my departure time; cannot leave before 10 am. Going the Shiradi route, will reach the Neelavar temple by ~ 6:30 pm. Have to catch the evening darshan, then head to Mangalore. So time is of the essence. I will save your route for another trip when time is not so severe a constraint.

A couple of years back when Shiradi was closed, at somebody's suggestion, I did Bangalore - Chitradurga - Tirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Neelavar. The Chitradurga - Tirthahalli stretch was quite bad and I won't be doing that stretch again!

Thanks.
Old 13th April 2016, 15:39   #6667
BHPian

travelling to mundkur tomorrow from bangalore, please suggest which of the 2 routes are better?

1. Bangalore - hassan - sakleshpur - Gundya - Uppinangadi - belthangady - Moodbidri - Mundkur (Map)

or

2. Bangalore - hassan - sakleshpur - Gundya - Uppinangadi - Bantwal - Adyar - Mangaluru - Kateel - Mundkur (Map)
Old 13th April 2016, 17:18   #6668
BHPian

Quote:
Ragu, I am constrained in my departure time; cannot leave before 10 am. Going the Shiradi route, will reach the Neelavar temple by ~ 6:30 pm. Have to catch the evening darshan, then head to Mangalore. So time is of the essence. I will save your route for another trip when time is not so severe a constraint.

A couple of years back when Shiradi was closed, at somebody's suggestion, I did Bangalore - Chitradurga - Tirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Neelavar. The Chitradurga - Tirthahalli stretch was quite bad and I won't be doing that stretch again!

Thanks.
The difference between both Routes is 20 min (as per Google). The time your are staring it would make a better sense you go via Shiradi, as you can save time in Arsikere, Kadur, Birur, Tarikere. But you will have enough traffic @ Uppinagdy bypass, Belthandy, Karkala.

I take my suggested route every time I need to go to native Kundapura. I never took route via Chitradurga. But this route is good.
Old 14th April 2016, 00:05   #6669

Hi Folks,

For people travelling via Shiradi there was robbery incident on April 11. Please drive very carefully along this stretch.

Please refer the below links for more information on this.

http://www.newskarnataka.com/mangalo...cals-catch-one

http://www.newskarnataka.com/mangalo...s-another-gang

I travel regularly on this stretch, bit shaken by this news, not sure how safe this route is now.

Regards
Srihari
srihari154 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 11:23   #6670
BHPian

Hi. I will be driving from Chikamagalur to Bajpe airport and thereon to Bekal. Will need refuelling at Mangalore. Can anyone suggest a trusted diesel pump there ?

Also, need a pump reference for Mysore too. Thanx.
Old 20th April 2016, 11:37   #6671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srihari154 View Post
I travel regularly on this stretch, bit shaken by this news, not sure how safe this route is now.
A very rare incidence. I don't think you need to be concerned. They are already caught, lost more than they gained, and it shows how difficult it is to rob and get away. Between Gundya and Donigal, there are no side roads to escape. By the time culprits reach the other side, road blocks can be arranged.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 12:08   #6672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Hi. I will be driving from Chikamagalur to Bajpe airport and thereon to Bekal. Will need refuelling at Mangalore. Can anyone suggest a trusted diesel pump there ?

Also, need a pump reference for Mysore too. Thanx.
From Airport on the road towards Bekal there is one petrol pump just after Kavoor Junction opposite Karnataka Electricity board sub station, and further on when you take a left on the Kochi Panvel highway there is a pump on the corner there. I dont think that quality of fuel should be an issue even though I have never filled fuel there as they are not on my regular route.
nityaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 12:13   #6673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A very rare incidence. I don't think you need to be concerned.
The main concern has to be the LPG bullet tankers. I had driven past Mani junction, towards M'lore on the 18th around 11.15pm, and read in the papers today that a bullet tanker rolled on the road around that place at about 11.30pm, causing leakage of gas and some loss to property due to fire. Waiting for a piped transport solution hopefully in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nityaya View Post
From Airport on the road towards Bekal there is one petrol pump just after Kavoor Junction opposite Karnataka Electricity board sub station, and further on when you take a left on the Kochi Panvel highway there is a pump on the corner there.
Another choice is the MRPL retail outlet, about 100 meters from the KPT junction, along NH66, towards Nanthoor junction.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th April 2016 at 12:26. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 23rd April 2016, 15:08   #6674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A very rare incidence. I don't think you need to be concerned. They are already caught, lost more than they gained, and it shows how difficult it is to rob and get away. Between Gundya and Donigal, there are no side roads to escape. By the time culprits reach the other side, road blocks can be arranged.

It was a harrowing experience for the family involved though.
Glass broken, chilli powder thrown at them and nearly attacked.

But as you said this should teach the culprits and the likes that its not easy to get away with stuff like this
Old 23rd April 2016, 16:36   #6675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
It was a harrowing experience for the family involved though.
Glass broken, chilli powder thrown at them and nearly attacked.
One can reduce such occurrences by having situational awareness. It is considered one of the most important aspects of self defense. Be continuously aware of who is around you and what they are doing.

http://www.functionalselfdefense.org...ess-prevention

Want to be very safe during long distance travel with family? Take the flight. Next choice would be train, followed by bus. Driving by car is not safe compared to the public transportation, but we all do it because we love to drive or love the convenience and independence.

How do we stay safe in long distance family trips? Drive safely, drive in convoy, avoid deserted routes, drive during day. If you are stranded in the middle for any reason, you can fetch help easily. Night driving also increases the chances of accident in unlit ghat roads. Getting stranded on roads at night can invite attack from opportunist robbers.

During day you can also notice if somebody is suspiciously following you. For that you should also be observant and keep scanning the cars around you for such behavior. It helped a friend of mine who was way laid by a car that followed them for 10kms closely. When their car was quickly overtaken and blocked, these guys knew what was coming. This was Coorg, so they stopped right away, pulled out the double barrel gun from the trunk, and the other car took off. If they hadn't suspected anything, they could have been surprised before they got to the trunk.

Once my Jeep with my wife and I lost engine oil in a deserted ghat road at 1am. If we were alone, can't imagine how we would have fared. But we had 4 more jeeps with us. They were able to put a temp-fix and we managed to start again in 20 minutes.

During night Bangalore ORR is not safe for families, so don't expect Shiradi ghat to be safer than that. Well, it probably is...
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed