Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2016, 20:28   #6676
BANNED

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...How do we stay safe in long distance family trips? Drive safely, drive in convoy, avoid deserted routes, drive during day. If you are stranded in the middle for any reason, you can fetch help easily. Night driving also increases the chances of accident in unlit ghat r It helped a friend of mine who was way laid by a car that followed them for 10kms closely. When their car was quickly overtaken and blocked, these guys knew what was coming. This was Coorg, so they stopped right away, pulled out the double barrel gun from the trunk, and the other car took off...

During night Bangalore ORR is not safe for families, so don't expect Shiradi ghat to be safer than that. Well, it probably is...
That must have been frightening for the robbers.

They thought its timid Harry the bank manager.

It was actually Dirty Harry his cousin!

On a serious note, the tavera robbery is very odd. They were foreigners. The thieves were in a Scorpio. It could have some other angle.

Maybe I'm just reading too many conspiracy theories.
Old 24th April 2016, 09:35   #6677
BHPian

On a lighter note, there used to be a joke floating around about this friend who got waylaid on the BLR-MLR route. " Yes, they even took the imported car perfume. But they could not find the double barrel gun under the seat "

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2016 at 11:17. Reason: Typo
Old 26th April 2016, 11:19   #6678
BHPian

Planning for an early morning start from Bangalore tomorrow. Was wondering if there are any good breakfast options that have come up in recent times. I am doing a Mangalore/Udupi drive after a while so I thought i'll check. If not, I'll probably stick to either Swathi or Mayura.
Old 26th April 2016, 11:28   #6679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Planning for an early morning start from Bangalore tomorrow. Was wondering if there are any good breakfast options that have come up in recent times. I am doing a Mangalore/Udupi drive after a while so I thought i'll check. If not, I'll probably stick to either Swathi or Mayura.
Many more now:
  1. Swathi Delicacy after Kunigal Bypass on RHS
  2. Adigas after Kunical Bypass on RHS
  3. Aadya's after CR Patna bypass on LHS
  4. A2B after CR Patna bypass on LHS
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 19:23   #6680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post

On a serious note, the tavera robbery is very odd. They were foreigners. The thieves were in a Scorpio. It could have some other angle.

Maybe I'm just reading too many conspiracy theories.

Maybe you are reading conspiracy theories.

They weren't foreigners but NRI's, was it mentioned in the press that they were foreigners, guess I missed it
Old 27th April 2016, 11:01   #6681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Hi. I will be driving from Chikamagalur to Bajpe airport and thereon to Bekal. Will need refuelling at Mangalore. Can anyone suggest a trusted diesel pump there ?

Also, need a pump reference for Mysore too. Thanx.
Opposite Kadri park, there is a skating ring and right next to that is a MRPL owned petrol bunk.

Head straight to NH66 from the airport. You will reach KPT junction on the highway. You need to take a left there to go to Bekal. Do not go to the bunk at the intersection. Instead, keep driving about 500mtrs and you'll find the MRPL bunk on the left.
james is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 19:01   #6682
BHPian

Re: Tallboy welcomes longer companion: Maruti Ertiga VDi - 85,000 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
To answer your question, I am usually between 110-120 based on traffic and when I pass these undulations, I go easy on the A pedal for 3 seconds and by speed is around 70-80 kmph when I pass this without making the passengers uncomfortable.

Another thing I normally do (mostly at nights) is drive in the center (over the median marker) when I pass these to take the least hit and still maintain good speeds. I do this only if there is no one in sight in my IRVM else stick to what I mentioned earlier.
I had to visit Dharmasthala this week and returned on the 27th. Your input was right in time for my drive.

So, apart from the usual stuff, I just decided to slow down a little bit to somewhere around ~80 where this becomes much more manageable. Also, since I mostly return during the evenings, observing the taillights of other cars, gave a good indication of the bouncy regions ahead!. All in all, this time was much better.

Lastly, the previous two times I returned via this route, the traffic pileup at Nelamangala was really bad. The jam extended almost a kilometer or two from the Nelamangala junction both the times. I for one didn't expect this on a weekday (27th April). I thought, this was only limited to long weekends.

Anyway, what's your take? Is Magadi road a better alternative? Is it safe to drive on Magadi road during late evenings and night? I remember that while returning from one of your solo trips around Managlore last time, you had taken Magadi road. Do you use that road often?
Old 29th April 2016, 19:28   #6683
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Anyway, what's your take? Is Magadi road a better alternative? Is it safe to drive on Magadi road during late evenings and night? I remember that while returning from one of your solo trips around Managlore last time, you had taken Magadi road. Do you use that road often?
- You need to know where exactly the exit should be taken after Kunigal bypass. (No a difficult thing)
- The road is overall quite good but has lot of curves.
- One more option: Try during day time; Idea is to hit the Big Banayan tree.

Route Link

Good road and less on traffic. You deviate on to this road just after TG Halli reservoir.

But surely for late evenings!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 19:58   #6684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- You need to know where exactly the exit should be taken after Kunigal bypass. (No a difficult thing)
- One more option: Try during day time; Idea is to hit the Big Banayan tree.

Route Link

Good road and less on traffic. You deviate on to this road just after TG Halli reservoir.

But surely for late evenings!
Thanks Amp!

So, you feel, this is a better route than continuing on Magadi road till Nice road junction esp for late evenings. Also, you are suggesting that I try this during day time to get familiar with the route.

Did I get it right?
Old 29th April 2016, 20:01   #6685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So, you feel, this is a better route than continuing on Magadi road till Nice road junction esp for late evenings. Also, you are suggesting that I try this during day time to get familiar with the route.
Magadi road has enough traffic for evenings. Plus by the time you reach the NICE road junction its crowded. So the Big-Banyan route helps.

But I am not sure if they are good for night drives. You may want to check with others. I cant comment on that.
Old 1st May 2016, 20:24   #6686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lastly, the previous two times I returned via this route, the traffic pileup at Nelamangala was really bad. The jam extended almost a kilometer or two from the Nelamangala junction both the times. I for one didn't expect this on a weekday (27th April). I thought, this was only limited to long weekends.
The crazy reason for this Jam is not really the Intersection with Tumkur Highway but the way motorists from Nelemangala side cross NH48 right at the Intersection. If you noticed, the median on Mangalore highway doesn't end at the Intersection exactly but is short by almost 300 meters "to make way" for traffic from both sides of the NH48 corridor to crisscross.

Look at this pic and you know why the mess will remain even on weekdays as there is no viable alternate for the villagers on the left side of Hassan-Mangalore corridor to reach there from Nelemangala.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-nh48nh4.jpg

Quote:
Anyway, what's your take? Is Magadi road a better alternative?
It always is and surprisingly, many motorists take a right turn after Kunigal bypass even today. I remember last year during the Ayudha Pooja long weekend when I was driving back to Bangalore from Mangalore and the highway, especially tolls were a total mess. We spent at least 20 minutes at each toll on that Sunday evening (Usually I am never a Sunday return driver).

We decided to take the Magadi road mainly to beat this and finding out from Googlemaps on how dark red was the NH48-NH4 Junction.

I recall very well that after turning right after Kunigal, we took no more than 75 minutes to reach our Vidyaranyapura Home. That was almost impossible through the regular road.

Quote:
Is it safe to drive on Magadi road during late evenings and night? I remember that while returning from one of your solo trips around Managlore last time, you had taken Magadi road. Do you use that road often?
Never faced any untoward incident at all. That solo trip was not the only instance but we drive out throught Magadi road even post 10PM for our Friday night drives.

Quote:
Right said but its very easy. 2 things to remember:

1. After getting down from Kunigal bypass. this is the second break in the Median where you turn right for Magadi
2. You pass a "Pinkish" Building on your left after Kuniga bypass "Indo SPanish Tasty Foods" after which you turn right for Magadi

Quote:
22 Kms from NH48 to Magadi town has no curves and a lot of straights. The curves are mainly between Magadi and NICE junction but again not something one should worry about.

The road end to end is fantastic with even Magadi-NH48 patched up really well.

Quote:
Thanks Amp!

Did I get it right?

Quote:
Magadi road has enough traffic for evenings. Plus by the time you reach the NICE road junction its crowded. So the Big-Banyan route helps.

But I am not sure if they are good for night drives. You may want to check with others. I cant comment on that.
Answered above. Magadi road is one that many take during Sunday nights. Have noticed enough of these chaps turning right even on Weekdays (like yesterday)

Make sure that you don't hit Magadi Road on a Sunday evening and you will be greeted with a lot of local traffic (mostly 2 wheelers). This is not a case after 8PM as they tend to settle down. While we managed Kunigal - Magadi without ado, another BHPian on a Sunday noon had a tough time to each Rajarajeshwari Nagar because day time traffic of locals was too high.

So factor the timing in mind too when you want to deviate to Magadi Road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agd19682 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Can someone help me out with my query? Lately I have been getting calls from my dealer to bring my car in to their workshop for a "Preventive Check Up" wherein they claim that they will carry out some checks on the vehicle along with WA/WB and a few more things. As per them, this is a Maruti recommendation and not carrying out these check-ups will lead to warranty issues. Is this really true? I was under the impression that only the periodic service intervals (1st/2nd/3rd/4th etc) mattered unless you run into some problems with your car. My vehicle is running niggle free and I am not facing any issues. Is it really mandatory to take the vehicle to these camps? And whether Maruti can deny warranty if I don't take my vehicle to these camps?
This is nonsense. Their periodic checks is to gain more and more customers to flock to them and then they suggest you some paid (& unwanted) stuff that you really don't need at all.

In fact, I got my 82K service done in January and I got a call last week (April) for reminder. Forget 10,000 kms, this is not even 6 Months by standards.

They will keep calling and you keep ignoring and get this attended only during periodic service. No damage to warranty at all unless there is an official recall.

Last edited by ampere : 1st May 2016 at 21:02. Reason: Fixed quote
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 20:37   #6687
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
22 Kms from NH48 to Magadi town has no curves and a lot of straights. The curves are mainly between Magadi and NICE junction but again not something one should worry about.

The road end to end is fantastic with even Magadi-NH48 patched up really well.
Agreed. Never had any doubt about the road condition. Its nice no doubt. What I was not sure is how crowded or desolate the section is. Because I have never done these stretches at night.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 09:20   #6688
Distinguished - BHPian

We had to visit Mangalore for a friend's housewarming last Friday and hence started from EC at 0530, waited at Nelemangala LANCO Toll Plaza for 40 minutes for another car to arrive from the city.

With a dinner break before Hassan at one of the Dhabas, we reached Mangalore around 1:00am with a sedate drive.

We returned back on Saturday night picking a different and route for return. A last minute call to Bhpian Sushrutha helped decide the circuit rather than trust the maps alone as he had traveled this side recently.

After all, I had the lovely company alongside the Ertiga:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20160430_103036.jpg
Bangalore – Hassan – Shiradi – Mangalore – Udupi – Kundapura – Maravanthe – Baindoor – Kollur – Vandse – Halady – Someshwara – Agumbe – Sringeri – Jayapura – Balehonnur – Aldur – Chikmagalur – Belur – Hassan – Bangalore
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-screenshot_20160501105855.png
Road Conditions:

1. Bangalore – Hassan – Shiradi – Mangalore: Nothing much to write about. Pretty much in good shape after Hassan till Mangalore. Glad to notice that the shoulders have been packed to road level but apprehensive on how this will withstand rains which are yet to visit this side of the country

2. Mangalore – Udupi – Kundapura : 4 Lane almost done barring Padubidri where one needs to pass through the town. Else a standard dual carriageway that is tolled since few months now.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-01-mangaloreudupi.png
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-02-udupikundapura.png
3. Kundapura – Maravanthe – Baindoor: 4 Lane work in progress in bits and pieces. Overall, not a roadblock for your journeys anyway. Good to learn that folks here are not obsessed with speedbreakers at every deviation or service lane. This ensures smooth flow of traffic of all kinds.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-03-kundapurabaindoor.png
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-04-kundapurabaindoor.png

4. Baindoor – Kollur – Vandse – Halady – Someshwara: Super good roads all the way. No complaints whatsoever.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-05-baindoor-kollur.png
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-06-kollur-someshwara.png

5. Someshwara – Agumbe – Sringeri: The Ghat roads were being relayed, including some of the Hairpin curves. Otherwise, a fantastic road to drive.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-07-someshwara-agumbe.png
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-08-agumbe-wip.png
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-09-agumbe-concrete.png
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-10-agumbe-sringeri.png

6. Sringeri – Jayapura – Balehonnur – Aldur: Again, cleanest of roads in the recent past with a lot of sections completely re-asphalted. There is no single stretch that you may want to refer as bad or even “OK”. Its brilliant all throughout.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-11-sringeri-balehonnur.png
7. Balehonnur – Aldur – Chikmagalur: Stays good as before and no bad patches here as well

8. Chikmagalur – Belur – Hassan: This needs attention now. It’s been ages since we have seen these stretches redone barring Belur-Kalkere (On Hassan – Belur Stretch). A fresh layer will do a lot of difference. Overall, this 60 kms of stretch from Chikmagalur to Hassan is a mix of Good to Moderate roads. Never bad anywhere that you will repent jumping over a pothole here. Just that the road surface has given away and needs a fresh layer

Bottom Line: If you are headed for Sringeri, the default route should now be Bangalore- Hassan – Chikmagalur – Aldur - Balehonnur – Jayapura – Sringeri. The route is 100% clean.
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 07:37   #6689
BHPian

I would be traveling to Udupi from Chennai during third week of May. The proposed route is Chennai-EC-Nelamangala-Hassan-Shiradi-Mangalore-Udupi. Is there a better alternative considering the road condition. Planning to start by 3 am from chennai and not planning to break the journey.
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:07   #6690
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
I would be traveling to Udupi from Chennai during third week of May. The proposed route is Chennai-EC-Nelamangala-Hassan-Shiradi-Mangalore-Udupi. Is there a better alternative considering the road condition. Planning to start by 3 am from chennai and not planning to break the journey.
I think this route is fine, take NICE road from Electronics City to get to Tumkur road exit and then go up to Nelamangala. Between Mangalore and Udupi you may run into heavier, slow moving traffic but that's a smaller part of your overall journey If you need to take a short break, consider stopping somewhere between Yediyur and Channarayapatna as there are some good options on the highway itself, so no need for a detour.
Some options are at Yediyur (Swathi Delicacy on right side), Bellur Cross (Mayura), Udayapura (A2B).

Last edited by NPV : 3rd May 2016 at 10:30.

Most Viewed