Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2009, 10:33   #661
Senior - BHPian

Wow a wonderful name to a thread that just refuses to die(thanks to the state of our roads)

Samurai, you rock dude..but yeah its kind of bit too far from Bangalore side

I guess now a days people dont have much doubts about how to reach as the NH seems to be in a pretty ok condition
Old 19th May 2009, 12:03   #662
BHPian

Have to Fusion down to Mangalore + Udipi near the end of this month! Will take the Shiradi route when going down. Return may be from Charmadi if time permits with an overnight in Chickamagalur!

Will update!
Old 19th May 2009, 12:14   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is the list of adjacent ghats:

Sampaje
Shiradi

Charmadi
Kudremukh

Agumbe
Balebare
I have travelled all the ghats listed above except for Sampaje and Balebare. Can you tell me where Balebare starts and ends? I mean, at which places.

Even I have the dream of doing all the gateways to the coast in Karnataka, but lack of time and moolah have kept me away. I would have loved to join your trip this time, but am still hoping that I will do this someday
Old 19th May 2009, 13:44   #664
BHPian

Hi,

This is for those who have experienced the Art of Travelling from B'lore to Udupi :-)

My dad is travelling to Kolur this Friday and needed some clarity on routes to take. During the 3 days, he wants to visit Sringeri, Udupi, Kolur & Dharmasthala. His plan is as follows:

Day 1: BLR - Sringeri - Udupi -stay (not sure which route to take; is it hassan - Chikmagalur -??? - sringeri - ??? - Udupi? Details? road condition? Any alternate route?)
Day 2: Udupi - Kolur - Marvanthe - Udupi - stay (he knows this stretch quite well)
Day 3: Udupi - Dharmasthala - BLR (Route: Udupi - Karkala - Mudbidri - Belthangadi - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Shiradi - Hassan - etc; what's the condition of the Udupi - Karkala - Dharmasthala section?)

Any inputs ASAP for the highlighlighted queries would be much appreciated.

FYI, he will be using his City (NHC) and will be taking his driver along.

Cheers,
Old 19th May 2009, 13:47   #665
BHPian

Guys beware of these roads for stopped trucks!

Five killed as log cuts through bus

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Mangalore: Five persons were killed, including three from Bangalore, and 14 others injured when a KSRTC Volvo (Airavat) crashed into a timber-laden lorry at Udane on Bangalore-Mangalore NH 48 early on Monday.
The bus, on its way to Mangalore from Bangalore, rammed into the parked lorry while trying to avoid an oncoming truck. A log that entered the bus on impact caused the casualties.
The deceased are Satish Chandra, 55, a motor vehicle inspector from Yelahanka; Girisha, 33, from Madhavanagar; Santhosh, 33, from Viveknagar; Prabha Hegde, 50, from Puttur and Varaprasada, 27, from Vishakapatnam.
The bus was carrying 40 passengers. Transport minister R Ashok announced a compensation of Rs 2.5 lakh each to the dependents of the victims, Rs 15,000 of which will be paid immediately and the rest within a week.
Ashok said: “We use our best drivers on the Airavat as the emphasis is on accident-free journeys.”

TRAGIC JOURNEY
Old 19th May 2009, 14:02   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Even I have the dream of doing all the gateways to the coast in Karnataka, but lack of time and moolah have kept me away. I would have loved to join your trip this time, but am still hoping that I will do this someday
addy, with DDsi its almost like going in bike(enfield) hehe so moolah should not be a issue

I second your thoughts, planning a detailed trip myself, yea moolah matters as i own a petrol car
Old 19th May 2009, 14:06   #667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have travelled all the ghats listed above except for Sampaje and Balebare. Can you tell me where Balebare starts and ends? I mean, at which places.
Even I have not done Balebare and Kudremakh ghats, I'll be finding out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Day 1: BLR - Sringeri - Udupi -stay (not sure which route to take; is it hassan - Chikmagalur -??? - sringeri - ??? - Udupi? Details? road condition? Any alternate route?)
Hassan-Belur-Chikmaglur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Udupi.

Quote:
Day 3: Udupi - Dharmasthala - BLR (Route: Udupi - Karkala - Mudbidri - Belthangadi - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Shiradi - Hassan - etc; what's the condition of the Udupi - Karkala - Dharmasthala section?)
The Udupi-Karkala-Dharmasthala route is always good, never seen it bad.
Old 19th May 2009, 14:23   #668
Senior - BHPian

dev yes its a sad incident, NH48 is risky these days esp from Kunigal onwards. since the road widening is going on at many places they have dug up and no barricades...

Most of the trucks wont have there tail lamp working and people have bad habbit of placing the stones around the vehicle if there is a break down but they dont have the sense to clear them before they move off so at night esp when its raining this can be very dangerous!
Old 19th May 2009, 15:36   #669
BHPian

[quote:
Hassan-Belur-Chikmaglur-Balehonnur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Udupi.

The Udupi-Karkala-Dharmasthala route is always good, never seen it bad.[/quote]

Samurai, Thanks for the details and confirmation.

How is the Chikmagalur-Sringeri-Udupi stretch - are the roads in fairly decent condition? Approximately how long would it take to travel from Sringeri to Udupi?

Thanks & cheers
Old 19th May 2009, 16:11   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the Chikmagalur-Sringeri-Udupi stretch - are the roads in fairly decent condition? Approximately how long would it take to travel from Sringeri to Udupi?
Thanks & cheers
Chikmagalur-Sringeri-Udupi stretch is very good. Except for rough patch between Aldur & Balehonnur, the whole stretch is pretty good. The good roads end just before you enter Manipal.

Sringeri to Udupi should not take more than 2 hrs I guess. I'm not sure, somebody please help out on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
dev yes its a sad incident, NH48 is risky these days esp from Kunigal onwards. since the road widening is going on at many places they have dug up and no barricades...

Most of the trucks wont have there tail lamp working and people have bad habbit of placing the stones around the vehicle if there is a break down but they dont have the sense to clear them before they move off so at night esp when its raining this can be very dangerous!
Actually the whole NH48 has become a death trap. Before the construction work started, Kunigal to Bangalore was always a pain. But now, the whole road has become a pain. I miss the old NH48. It really was a driver's highway

I was shocked to see the pictures of the volvo accident. I believe both the lorry driver & the bus driver are at fault. Lorry drivers don't have the basic common sense while driving and do it as they wish. Volvo drivers are very arrogant and think they own the road. They see all other vehicles on the road as lesser mortals.

I'm not saying that all truck drivers or bus drivers are like this, but a few of them are certainly damaging the reputation of others

Last edited by addyhemmige : 19th May 2009 at 16:25.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:18   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Actually the whole NH48 has become a death trap. Before the construction work started, Kunigal to Bangalore was always a pain. But now, the whole road has become a pain. I miss the old NH48. It really was a driver's highway
I am getting mixed views on NH48! Esp. from people who have travelled recently! Some say it is decent. Some say bad in the Nelamangala-Kunigal stretch.

When did you travel? How safe is it for daylight travel? Which stretches are bad?
Old 19th May 2009, 16:24   #672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The good roads end just before you enter Manipal.
What?? Can you be more specific? Right now Manipal roads are in top shape, totally new tarmac, not patchup like last time.
Old 19th May 2009, 16:36   #673
Senior - BHPian

Glifford, Dont worry you can take this route. but be little cautious.

Offlate NH48 has become little risky as the construction work is going on, as addy was mentioning few years back that is before the road widening work started after nelamangla it was a pleasure to drive ... firstly huge tress on both the sides of the roads made it a sceni road and also the traffic was much lesser then what it is these days..

Also the road used to be GREAT, now its been some time since its been tarred...

Anyhow it is difninitley drivable on this route just that it has lost its old charm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
I am getting mixed views on NH48! Esp. from people who have travelled recently! Some say it is decent. Some say bad in the Nelamangala-Kunigal stretch.

When did you travel? How safe is it for daylight travel? Which stretches are bad?
Old 19th May 2009, 16:40   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Glifford, Dont worry you can take this route. but be little cautious.

.... it was a pleasure to drive ... firstly huge tress on both the sides of the roads made it a sceni road and also the traffic was much lesser then what it is these days..

Also the road used to be GREAT, now its been some time since its been tarred...

Anyhow it is difninitley drivable on this route just that it has lost its old charm...
Thanks Lohith! Will take care!

I just remember when I last did that complete stretch in April 2005 on my Pulsar 180! Was so much fun!

After that when I went to Mangalore next by bike (Sept 2006) used the Chickamagalur-Sringeri-Agumbe route to get to Mangalore and returned via Madikeri!
Old 19th May 2009, 16:43   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What?? Can you be more specific? Right now Manipal roads are in top shape, totally new tarmac, not patchup like last time.
I don't know the name of the place, but when I went there on May 1st weekend, the stretch before entering Manipal town was a bit rough. I came from Karkala side & moved towards Udupi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post

The road is pretty decent. What I'm talking about is the amount of traffic and the construction work which is going on.
The road is quite safe for both day and night. But you have to negotiate heavy bus & lorry traffic at night. I travel on this road almost every weekend, the previous sunday being the last.
The Nelamangala-Kunigal stretch was bad, I'm not sure of the current status as I have stopped using this road for the past 6 months. I take the Kunigal-Magadi-Bangalore route instead

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks