Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 16:48   #676
BHPian

Just back from Mangalore.
Nelamangala to Kunigal is bumpy and uneven road surface but you can still do decent speeds. Lot of construction work going on in this stretch.
Shiradi Ghat is fine, no bad road whatsoever. BC road to Mangalore is a pain . All in all a good drive.

Venkat.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:52   #677
Senior - BHPian

The road from udupi to manipal is under construction in some stretches and some deviations exist. Probably this is what addyhemmige is mentioning.

The road users especially the two wheelers are always in a hurry here, not to mention the buses. The roads are narrow to say the least.

Last edited by laluks : 21st May 2009 at 16:54.
Old 21st May 2009, 19:30   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The Nelamangala-Kunigal stretch was bad, I'm not sure of the current status as I have stopped using this road for the past 6 months. I take the Kunigal-Magadi-Bangalore route instead
Thanks Addy!

I too am tempted to take the Magadi route out of Bangalore. I remember taking it some 5 years back on the bike and it was lovely, those winding roads were a beauty!

Just a couple of questions tho'

1. Which is the best place to get on to Magadi road when heading out of Bangalore (considering I live in Fraser Town / near Bangalore East/Cantt stations). Would it be:
a. From behind Majestic, near Rajajinagar or
b. From Tumkur Road, via Peenya?

2. How safe is the road (also considering it passes through some villages) to drive before daybreak? I plan to leave home at around 4:00 AM Thursday/Friday morning. Also is it safe to do decent speeds (80 ish)?
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:31   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Thanks Addy!

1. Which is the best place to get on to Magadi road when heading out of Bangalore (considering I live in Fraser Town / near Bangalore East/Cantt stations). Would it be:
Hey Gliff,
I think the option a will be better as u r leaving early morning. And the road is also good. I had been almost 2 months back.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:41   #680
BHPian

Weather update: The monsoon is all set to hit Coastal Karnataka 'officially'; may be in the next 3 or 4 days. The frontrunners are here already. We are seeing some decent rains in Mangalore in the evenings /early mornings in the last three or four days.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:42   #681
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to take Shiradi route to Mangalore tomorrow. I have 2 queries

1) I will be starting around 7 am from Kanakpura road. Plan is to take NICE road, cut Mysore Highway (guess the over bridge is completed now) and take NICE to Magadi and then look for Kunigal direction (read it as a right turn from the thread). Can some one confirm this is correct. Also it will help any further details can be provided about this route. I hope it is safe to take this road during morning hours

2) Are there any Shell outlets available in this route.

An early reply will help since I am starting tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance

Last edited by gadadhar : 22nd May 2009 at 10:43. Reason: formatting
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:11   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post

An early reply will help since I am starting tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance
Dude Mangalore is not very far.. fill your car and start your journey, you have Shell in Mangalore where you can fill up during return

I dont think Shell has any outlets in between
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:34   #683
Senior - BHPian

Yes monsoon is here, can say at the door step
that makes it more important to visit sooon hehehe
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mon.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2009, 11:38   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Dude Mangalore is not very far.. fill your car and start your journey, you have Shell in Mangalore where you can fill up during return

My tank is less than half full, need to fill before I start and won't be able to do it today.. so trying to find out whether I could hit any shell outlet on route (in NICE, magadi, mangalore route)
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:02   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I think the option a will be better as u r leaving early morning. And the road is also good. I had been almost 2 months back.
Thanks Arindam!

Just a question. As per Google Maps the Magadi road seems to join NH48 near Solur and not Nelamangala. Is there a route I / Google Maps must be missing?

Also is the Magadi route straight enough to get to NH48. Or do I need to stop and ask for directions once I get to/inside Magadi. Assuming it would be before 5:00 AM, I doubt there would be someone I could ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Weather update: The monsoon is all set to hit Coastal Karnataka 'officially'; may be in the next 3 or 4 days. The frontrunners are here already. We are seeing some decent rains in Mangalore in the evenings /early mornings in the last three or four days.
Yes my parents (who are currently in Mangalore) were so aggressively discouraging me to take a bus/train instead because of the heavy rains! They said the road is dangerous (they also mentioned the KSRTC accident) and hence we must not drive ourselves. I laughed! That's precisely the reason we should not take a bus and put our lives in others' hands! They are still not convinced and pretty angry we want to drive down! Sigh!

Quote:
True! Add to that he is driving a CRDI Diesel! :P.

BTW, Where exactly is Shell in Mangalore? I need to refill on the return!

Quote:
Actually Shell has two outlets on Tumkur Road itself. The first one is on the right (when heading out of Bangalore) a few km after Yeshwantpur station.

The next one is much farther, on on the left just a few km (Guess about 10) before Nelamangala. One concern however is (I guess) Shell opens from 6/7:00 hrs till 23:00 hrs. So you may find a closed bunk if you heading out really early!
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:10   #686
BHPian

Shell Pumps in Mangalore

Quote:
BTW, Where exactly is Shell in Mangalore? I need to refill on the return!
Ok found it. On the Shell Website.

There are two! One at Lady Hill and the other on Falnir Road!

Both seem close to where I will stay/go through! Of course they close relatively early! Not an issue tho'

Quote:
My tank is less than half full, need to fill before I start and won't be able to do it today.. so trying to find out whether I could hit any shell outlet on route (in NICE, magadi, mangalore route)
There are several. Even on Magadi Road (opens 6 AM).

Check here!

Last edited by Glifford : 22nd May 2009 at 12:15. Reason: Added a quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:37   #687
Senior - BHPian

Driving in rain is fun but need to be very careful, i had fun in last monsoon. Ac needs to be good else it would be difficult esp during the nights...

On filling petrol, most of the times my car guzzles half tank fuel. alternatively i look for Indian Oil on hiway.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:14   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. How safe is the road (also considering it passes through some villages) to drive before daybreak? I plan to leave home at around 4:00 AM Thursday/Friday morning. Also is it safe to do decent speeds (80 ish)?
Yep, the winding roads are even better now!! You don't need to go to Majestic to get to Magadi road. You can take Mekhri Circle-Malleshwaram 18th cross-Rajkumar road-chord road-magadi road. You can also take Mekhri circle-Yeswantpur-goraguntepalya-Outer ring road-Magadi road. Better take the latter. Less confusion there.

2. The road will be generally empty during that time. Traffic picks up only after 7. You can easily do speeds of 80 upto magadi. After Magadi, you can do more than 100-120 easily. The road is wide enough and has long straights. do watch out for people though.

Quote:

1) I will be starting around 7 am from Kanakpura road. Plan is to take NICE road, cut Mysore Highway (guess the over bridge is completed now) and take NICE to Magadi and then look for Kunigal direction (read it as a right turn from the thread). Can some one confirm this is correct. Also it will help any further details can be provided about this route. I hope it is safe to take this road during morning hours

From NICE road take a left U turn towards Magadi road and after reaching Magadi road take a right (left goes to Bangalore city). Continue on the same road till magadi. there are no confusions here (There are no signboards indicating distance here). When you near Magadi, you will reach a junction. Left goes to Savandurga & Ramnagaram. continue straight. Later, you see a fort to your right side. Continue straight inside Magadi town. After you leave Magadi town, you will see a signboard indicating direction to Kunigal. Take a right there. Move forward for about 4-5 kms (approx) you will get another junction. keep to the left. Both the roads reach NH48, but the left one joins near to Kunigal.

You will not find any Shell bunk in this route. there is a shell bunk on Magadi road, but that is inside Bangalore city (near Rajajinagar)

Quote:
Just a question. As per Google Maps the Magadi road seems to join NH48 near Solur and not Nelamangala. Is there a route I / Google Maps must be missing?

Also is the Magadi route straight enough to get to NH48. Or do I need to stop and ask for directions once I get to/inside Magadi. Assuming it would be before 5:00 AM, I doubt there would be someone I could ask!
Magadi road is not shown on Google maps. It joins NH48 near Kunigal Industrial area (Johnson tiles, Indo-Spanish Foods etc). Try Yahoo maps. It shows the road.

Once you get to magadi town, just follow the main road until you reach a fork just outside the town. Take a right there. There is a signboard indicating direction.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:58   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting mixed views on NH48! Esp. from people who have travelled recently! Some say it is decent. Some say bad in the Nelamangala-Kunigal stretch.

When did you travel? How safe is it for daylight travel? Which stretches are bad?
It's safe during day/night... but be careful as the road is less wide now.

Quote:
I too am tempted to take the Magadi route out of Bangalore.
Take Majestic, Rajajinagar6h block, Magadi Rd

Quote:
The route is slightly isolated before dawn and after dusk.
U can safely do 80kmph in this route. But be careful , there's a bad stretch near to thippagondanahally resorvoiur and Magadi town limits

Quote:
Just a question.
Please check addy's comments he has explained everything in detail

Quote:
Yep, the winding roads are even better now!! You don't need to go to Majestic to get to Magadi road. You can take Mekhri Circle-Malleshwaram 18th cross-Rajkumar road-chord road-magadi road. You can also take Mekhri circle-Yeswantpur-goraguntepalya-Outer ring road-Magadi road. Better take the latter. Less confusion there.

2. The road will be generally empty during that time. Traffic picks up only after 7. You can easily do speeds of 80 upto magadi. After Magadi, you can do more than 100-120 easily. The road is wide enough and has long straights. do watch out for people though.

From NICE road take a left U turn towards Magadi road and after reaching Magadi road take a right (left goes to Bangalore city). Continue on the same road till magadi. there are no confusions here (There are no signboards indicating distance here). When you near Magadi, you will reach a junction. Left goes to Savandurga & Ramnagaram. continue straight. Later, you see a fort to your right side. Continue straight inside Magadi town. After you leave Magadi town, you will see a signboard indicating direction to Kunigal. Take a right there. Move forward for about 4-5 kms (approx) you will get another junction. keep to the left. Both the roads reach NH48, but the left one joins near to Kunigal.

You will not find any Shell bunk in this route. there is a shell bunk on Magadi road, but that is inside Bangalore city (near Rajajinagar)

Magadi road is not shown on Google maps. It joins NH48 near Kunigal Industrial area (Johnson tiles, Indo-Spanish Foods etc). Try Yahoo maps. It shows the road.

Once you get to magadi town, just follow the main road until you reach a fork just outside the town. Take a right there. There is a signboard indicating direction.
Old 22nd May 2009, 17:03   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man! I saw both the routes and I guess the first one may just be a wee bit easier! Let's see!

Quote:

Thanks again! Saw the entire route on Yahoo Maps! Now I can't wait for the week to get over!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks