Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2016, 08:38   #6916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
Is the ghat closed already?
Operational and from few sources I learnt that it's postponed to Dec but that too is unconfirmed.

http://m.thehindu.com/news/cities/Ma...cle9228521.ece

Quote:

Mangaluru
Subscribe
Mangaluru
No decision yet on closing Shiradi Ghat
Updated: October 17, 2016 05:35 IST | Special Correspondent

Minister in-charge of Dakshina Kannada B. Ramanath Rai said here recently that it was still not clear when the second phase works of widening the Shiradi Ghat on the Mangaluru-Bengaluru NH would start, and no decision had been taken on whether or not to close the ghat during the widening.

Speaking to presspersons, he said that the ghat should be kept open for light motor vehicles and two-wheelers.

Deputy Commissioner K.G. Jagadeesha said that Volvo buses and tankers could be diverted on Sampaje Ghat, and buses and other vehicles via Charmadi Ghat. He said that the State National Highways Division had not approached the district administration seeking the closure of the ghat.

Mr. Rai suggested that the Deputy Commissioner call a meeting of stakeholders before taking any decision.

He said that concreting of Bisle Ghat, connecting Kukke Subrahmanya had not been completed yet, as a 2-km stretch remained.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 09:58   #6917
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to travel from Bangalore to Mangalore for the upcoming long weekend. One of the resorts in Mangalore informed us that Shiradi ghat is already closed. I checked both Google maps and MapmyIndia, here's what I get:

MapmyIndia:
Name:  mapmyindia.png
Views: 1841
Size:  106.5 KB

Google Maps:
Name:  googlemap.png
Views: 1592
Size:  366.1 KB

No matter what I do, Google maps does not give me the MapmyIndia route. Has anyone been through this part to give me the updated status. This would be my first visit through here, so I need some confirmation. Else, I plan to take the Madikere route.

Regards,
Prasad
Old 25th October 2016, 10:55   #6918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Google Maps:
Attachment 1570347No matter what I do, Google maps does not give me the MapmyIndia route.
Prasad, the one shown as an alternate to Shiradi is via Hethur - Kudurasthe - Bisile.

The road from the point where you exit from Donigal all the way to Kudurasthe is fantastic but then the biggest point of concern here is the Bisile Ghat itself.

Read posts few pages back and you will know why that still cannot be a good option for you to reach Mangalore and you are better off with Mysore- Madikeri option.

Meanwhile, I am checking with my friends around Sakleshpur to confirm the closure of Shiradi Ghat. One of them who I spoke to said they were planning closure in a week but I have asked him to double check.

There are no reliable news reports in the past few days too and even Googlemaps shows a the stretch "Under repairs" already.

This post should give you an idea on the state of affairs on Bisile Ghats.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th October 2016 at 10:57.
Old 25th October 2016, 11:14   #6919
VMC
BHPian

I will be travelling to Udupi, Kundapura and Murudeshwara with stops in Anegudde and Saligrama this long weekend.
I booked the Meridian Bay Resort, Koteshwara for 2 nights and gmaps shows Bangalore- Hassan- Chikmagalur- Jayapura, HHpura-Agumbe and then deviation directly to Kundapur -Agumbe highway instead of Hebri to reach Koteshwara. Does anyone know the present road condition after HHPura? I assume stretch should be decent given the present situation of Shiradi.
Old 25th October 2016, 11:16   #6920
BHPian

Thanks Parag.

Yes, I had read about the Bisle Ghat condition few pages back and was worried that this might be the same route. I also read about the Charmadi Ghat condition; I want a relaxed drive even if its a bit longer. I think I will stick to Madikere route.

Regards,
Prasad
pnredkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 11:22   #6921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think I will stick to Madikere route.
Here is some news for you. Shiradi as of today is not closed and it wont close at least till Dec 20th.

There is a bridge under construction that had to complete only after which they will close Shiradi officially.

Usually the local media reports this almost instantly if it was closed but I don't see this anywhere. This news is confirmed from a friend who I spoke to just now.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 11:48   #6922
Senior - BHPian

My friend returned from Mangalore yesterday by bus (KSRTC) and he told me that the bus took the Shiradi route, so it is certainly not closed as of now
kannan666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 11:54   #6923
Distinguished - BHPian

And Googlemaps (when you enable traffic) merrily shows the ghats as closed which is quite not true!

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shiradi.jpg

I have reported this to a friend who is a certified Google MapMaker to make necessary corrections.

It is certainly misleading.
Old 25th October 2016, 11:59   #6924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And Googlemaps (when you enable traffic) merrily shows the ghats as closed which is quite not true!
It is certainly misleading.
This is the root cause of all my route confusion
Old 25th October 2016, 12:04   #6925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the root cause of all my route confusion
And trust me when I say that Dajjiworld will always be in forefront to report the closure and I see now such news anywhere on that portal.

See here on what the developmental Minister has to say when asked about Shiradi Ghat Closure (The article dates back to Oct 14)

Quote:
On being asked whether the Shiradi ghat will be closed for the second phase of work, Rai said, "It is a serious issue. We want to keep it open for small vehicles. We will convene a meeting and take a fitting decision.”
Old 25th October 2016, 12:21   #6926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMC View Post
... Kundapur -Agumbe highway instead of Hebri to reach Koteshwara...
You need not go to Hebri, to reach Koteshwara from Agumbe.
Take the right turn after getting down the ghat at Someshwara. Roads are excellent all the way in this stretch. Here is the link to gmaps

https://goo.gl/maps/NEMHgG1SinM2
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2016, 16:31   #6927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMC View Post
Does anyone know the present road condition after HHPura? I assume stretch should be decent given the present situation of Shiradi.
10 Kms right after Jayapura is a bit patchy, not so smooth. Rest of the route is
awesome to drive on. Note - this route avoids both Sringeri & Koppa.

I drove on this route couple of weeks back. Short report here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4075074

From Someshwara to Koteshwara, take the right turn after petrol bunk in Someshwara, then follow the road via Belve, Goliangadi, Halady, Bidkalkatte, Hunsemakki
Shubbi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 11:34   #6928
BHPian

Extremely sorry for This is not an update on the road conditions for this route ( Charmadi ), just wanted to share an observation which I am sure most of the regulars are already well aware of. I caught this thing only recently about 3 months back, thus thought of expressing my views.

Well, is there anything really special about most of the KSRTC bus stands across the state ?? Probably nothing but I found the location of Kottegehra bus stand to be really unique and awesome. The panaromic view of the hills that one gets from this bus stand is really superb. It reminds me of some of the bus stands located in the Sahyadris/Konkan belt of Maharashtra. This is all I wanted to say
Old 26th October 2016, 11:46   #6929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Probably nothing but I found the location of Kottegehra bus stand to be really unique and awesome. The panaromic view of the hills that one gets from this bus stand is really superb.
Indeed it is a fantastic view on a bright sunny day but when there is a thick block of cloud that covers these beautiful hills, you will never know the beauty that gets covered, like this from my recent drive 3 weeks before!!

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-kottigehara.jpg
Old 26th October 2016, 12:33   #6930

Hello all,

Planning to drive to Goa from Mysore Via Mangalore. Any update on the road conditions between Mangalore and Karwar towards Goa would be appreciated, thanks in advance. This is for a low slung sedan. (Jetta)

Regards

Last edited by ampere : 27th October 2016 at 22:20. Reason: Formatted post. Please proofread before submitting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks