Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2009, 19:27   #706
Senior - BHPian

Got to learn from one of my relative that Charmadi has been widened and the road is in good condition, so i guess this is an good alternative! anyone has updates on this?
Old 8th June 2009, 18:42   #707
BHPian

Was fun!

Got back last Wednesday. Sorry for a delayed post. Thanks to this thread I took the Shiradi route and the Magadi road.

Started an hour and a half late at 05:30! Took Magadi road from behind Majestic. Absolutely beautiful road with only a handful of bad stretches. Some places freshly laid. You can smell the tar and median is not remarked! Even milestones are not marked. But beautiful and easy. Like Hassan - Belur stretch! joins 7 km before Kunigal! Only one 30 m stretch is bad, rest is perfect.

Hassan got bypassed quickly and then Sakhleshpur and then hit Shiradi. By then the (LPG-Bullet) Tanker Traffic had increased exponentially. Yes they are big and cumbersome and hard to overtake in traffic. But are driven by level headed quys who guide you with overtaking as they can see much further. Also saw a couple (more actually) of spilled tankers (no gas leaks tho) across the way, and all were manned by police who was helping traffic! One was right outside Kamat's blocking the road completely.

Even though we were doing good speeds, our aim of reaching Mangalore by 11:00 ish was way off target. (Mainly due to the late start and waste of time at Kamat's).

Shiradi was a joy! Almost fully done up and no issues what so ever (relatively). Of course look out for stones left behind by former breakdowners.

One more experience was the increase in air pressure as we descended the Western Ghats down to Mangalore (from the Bangalore Plateau). The ears were getting blocked like they do in a jet plane. It was much more than what happens on a flight and took several efforts to clear. One more reason could be that we were both having a cold and blocked noses could have added to this.

We finally reached BC road. Until now the roads were bliss. At BC Road, the horror unveiled. It was a mess with road construction/widening going on. No proper signals and people using completed sections of the road (not yet opened to traffic). Took a while to clear this messy stretch. Soon we were in Padil. Then Pumpwell.

Another bad stretch is the Mangalore-Udipi one. Esp if you try to bypass innner Mangalore by going from Pumpwell-Nanthoor-KPT/Kadri-Kottara directly. The road between KPT-Kottara cross is so bad it shuddered me in a Fusion!

Suggest getting into Mangalore by Pumpwell-Nanthoor-Kadri-Bejai-Lalbagh(Corporation)-MG Road-Lady Hill-Urwa Store-Infosys-Kottara. Better despite the traffic/signals you may face.

Mangalore-Udupi is bad till Surathkal, after that decent. Of course the traffic is high, but manageable.

Besides doing Mangalore-Udipi a couple of times we also went into the villages off Kundapur. A place called Padukone .

Return was easy as well. Met some heavy rain that added to the adventure (Udupi-Mangalore stretch, before and after BC Road).

Got into Bangalore also from Magadi Road. Clue in finding it is take the right after Indo-Spanish Foods factory (on the left) when approaching Bangalore.

Was easy till we touched town and got stuck near Majestic.

Had clicked some pics, but lost them as I formatted the card without realising!
Old 9th June 2009, 00:27   #708
BHPian

I am planning to do a 4 days trip to Mangalore-Udupi-Gokarna. I dont wanna come back in the same route. Please suggest the route and the places to visit on the way. I want to have lazy drive as I am going for a vacation.
Old 9th June 2009, 00:49   #709
Team-BHP Support

If you didn't have to go to Mangalore, it can be avoided. I usually never enter B.C.Road, instead take right turn and go through Moodbidri, Karkala and Manipal. Saves me 22Kms and the roads is very good.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:04   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I am planning to do a 4 days trip to Mangalore-Udupi-Gokarna. I dont wanna come back in the same route. Please suggest the route and the places to visit on the way. I want to have lazy drive as I am going for a vacation.
Please take the below mentioned route,
BLR-HASSAN-SHIRADI-MANGALORE-UDUPI-BHATKALA-KUMTA-GOKARNA.
1.GOKARNA-KUMTA-HONNAVARA-JOGFALLS-SHIMOGA-TUMKUR-BLR
or
2.GOKARNA-ANKOLA-HUBLI-HAVERI-DAVANGERE-TUMKUR-BLR
Both routes are equally good, but 2nd route is slightly high distance wise.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:55   #711
BHPian

Is the Shiradi route now popular with trucks ferrying ore ? Read today's TOI about KSRTC not using this route as it's dangerous and that the truckers park hap hazardly and hurtle through these ghats.

Here's a link to the article
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/M...ow/4632798.cms
Old 9th June 2009, 12:20   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Is the Shiradi route now popular with trucks ferrying ore ? Read today's TOI about KSRTC not using this route as it's dangerous and that the truckers park hap hazardly and hurtle through these ghats.

Here's a link to the article
KSRTC to resume night bus service - Mangalore - Cities - The Times of India

Yes, Shiradi is one of the major gateway from interior Karnataka to Coastal Karnataka. As far as I know, Shiradi and Kalghatgi-Ankola ghats are the only ghat roads in Karnataka which are wide enough to take mining lorry traffic. So, lorry traffic is very high here.
Old 24th June 2009, 13:41   #713
BHPian

What's happening TEAM-BHP'ians? This thread is silent for 15 days now. Very surprising.
Old 24th June 2009, 13:45   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
What's happening TEAM-BHP'ians? This thread is silent for 15 days now. Very surprising.
Maybe everyone here has finally mastered the art of traveling between Bangalore & Mangalore/Udupi
Old 24th June 2009, 15:21   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Maybe everyone here has finally mastered the art of traveling between Bangalore & Mangalore/Udupi
You stole the words from my mouth.
Old 24th June 2009, 15:52   #716
Team-BHP Support

Give it a month, the roads would change under the monsoon rain and new breakthroughs and discoveries can be made.
Old 24th June 2009, 16:24   #717
Senior - BHPian

Guess i have already found some updates

Last week my bro came to Bangalore via Shiradi, for now the ghats is decent shuld hold up for a month ot 2 but the road from Gundya till BC road is giving up and i feel this is where we could save/loose some time... also it gets too frustuating when the winding road has pot holes..
Old 24th June 2009, 17:59   #718
Senior - BHPian

I was also begining to miss this thread, good that it is back

some update from my side

My Brother travelled to Udupi on Monday morning via Shiradi Ghat.
He is a new driver and this was his first long trip. His family wife and son accompanied him. They left at 7 AM from BTM layout and reached my native place by 6 PM in the evening. they took several breaks on the way for breakfast, lunch plus some breaks because of 3 year old kid.
Old 24th June 2009, 18:32   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Give it a month, the roads would change under the monsoon rain and new breakthroughs and discoveries can be made.
Monsoons are arriving late. So travel as much as you can on the BLR MLR roads till atleast a fortnight. After that, the rest as we know...
Old 25th June 2009, 12:37   #720
BHPian

guys,
Whats the decent route between Madikeri to Agumbe in terms of road conditon? I can see 3 routes(via sulya/karkala/Hebri, via Sakleshpur/Kudremuk/Sringeri, via Sakleshpur/Balehonnur/Koppa) but not sure which one would be in decent condition currently.

Most Viewed