Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2017, 13:01   #7246
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Update from a quick trip to Moodbidri and back via Shiradi.

Started at 1:30 PM yesterday from BSK and reached the destination around 7:30 PM with a tea break at Sakleshpur.
Started back at 4:30 AM today and reached home by 11:30 AM with a breakfast stop at Sakleshpur.

Road updates:
1. About 8-10 kms on either side of the concrete section on Shiradi seems to be deteriorating by the day. Looks like it will be pretty unusable within a month if heavy rain continues.
2. Kunigal bypass (Hassan to Bangalore side) was closed today and this meant I had to drive through Kunigal town (about 20 mins wasted).
Otherwise, decent roads throughout and lots of rain.

Cheers
Rahulb22
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 20:26   #7247
Senior - BHPian

The situation is tense around areas near BC ROAD, from kalladka onwards.

Yesterday I was stopped by cops and diverted towards konaje(towards University )

There is section 144 announced, so those traveling towards this side, please keep yourself updated

Last edited by rajshenoy : 8th July 2017 at 20:29.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:47   #7248
BHPian

Thanks rajshenoy. I was returning from Udupi to Bangalore today morning and the advice I got was also pretty much to avoid BC Road.
I'd actually passed Bantwal, BC Road on Saturday morning when the tensions were just simmering. I was pretty luck to pass that area around 10.30-11 AM after which it seems to have broken down.
So while returning today morning, I was averse to take BC Road-Shiradi back from Udupi. So, with a 4 AM start, I took the Manipal-Karkala-Belthangady-Dharmasthala-Charmadi-Belur-Hassan-Bangalore route. It was a great drive with hardly any traffic till Charmadi. Some road work going on near Karkala. Hardly 2-3 bad spots on Charmadi and one small bad stretch before Belur.

My Figo took it really well getting me to Nelamangala by 9.45 AM. There was a small tea break at Kottigehara and a loo break near Nelamangala. Ofcourse, my mother-in-law's packed Idlis played a significant part in saving us a lot of time Otherwise it was a rapid drive. Another story that it took me 2 hrs from Nelamangala to Bellandur where I work.
Old 10th July 2017, 15:06   #7249
BHPian

Planning to go to kukke subramanya on Monday evening. Any advise regarding road conditions and any other route to avoid Shiradi? Thanks in advance.
Old 10th July 2017, 18:22   #7250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nityaya View Post
Planning to go to kukke subramanya on Monday evening. Any advise regarding road conditions and any other route to avoid Shiradi? Thanks in advance.
Hi nityaya,
Like I've mentioned, I took Shiradi route on Saturday and there is nothing to worry about even if you're in a low slung hatchback/sedan. Be on the lookout for some unexpected potholes on the ghats in the beginning. You should be taking the Shiradi Ghat if you're going to Kukke Subramanya. The current disturbance should not have affected Subramanya side.

Academically, you could consider Bisle Ghat. But not really sure about the road conditions currently as well as the best connecting roads. I'll let other experts weigh in.
Sangre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 09:07   #7251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nityaya View Post
You can stick to Shiradi route as this still remains the fastest route. Gundya -Subramanya stretch is good with lush greenary. Now that the new bridge just before entering Subramanya is open, you don`t need to worry about the old bridge which often sinks whenever there is heavy rain and traffic used to get disrupted. This route is practically open throughout the year.

On Bisle ghat road condition you can refer to my previous post and I don`t recommend it as it is still not fully ready.

EDIT: You might have already reached, sorry for the late response.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 11th July 2017 at 09:09.
Old 14th July 2017, 13:35   #7252
BHPian

Planning to ride to bisle ghat tomorrow from Bangalore, I read dragonhawks recent post, anybody been that side in the last couple of days and encountered heavy rain? Also, anything to watch out for in view of the ongoing political disturbance in DK?
Old 14th July 2017, 13:42   #7253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Planning to ride to bisle ghat tomorrow from Bangalore, I read dragonhawks recent post, anybody been that side in the last couple of days and encountered heavy rain? Also, anything to watch out for in view of the ongoing political disturbance in DK?
The roads after Kudurasthe will lead to Bisile. Am sure I may be repeating this. Till here the roads are Good to excellent anyway.

After this, there are repair/expansion works going on. This may not be comfortably motorable. It is only a chance that you would want to take.

I was around here last Saturday and it hasn't rained much that day or after that. However, no 2 days are same in this region and hence expect rains too.

Political disturbance may not be that bothersome here as its just the border and not really the active Dakshina Kannada Region. If you just head to Bisile and come back, you won't be at major risk as you are venturing between Hassan - Sakleshpur - Coorg- Puttur regions (and mostly Border).
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 13:47   #7254
BHPian

Quote:
Recent disturbance in and around Bantwal had no effect as such in Subramanya-Puttur section even though section 144 is still in place. Rain is quite is unpredictable in Bisle ghat and in the lower catchment places like my hometown Kaniyur which is 20kms from Subramanya is witnessing light showers since morning so better be prepared with proper rain gears if you are riding.

Have a safe and enjoyable drive

Last edited by DragonHawk : 14th July 2017 at 13:49.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 19:24   #7255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The roads after Kudurasthe will lead to Bisile. Am sure I may be repeating this. Till here the roads are Good to excellent anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Have a safe and enjoyable drive
Thanks guys. Am planning to go via Shanivarsanthe - Kudrasthe and drop in at both Mallalli falls and Bisle view pt. I guess Kudrasthe will be the turn off for both. Is it convenient to do the falls first and then Bisle view pt?

I was also thinking to going to Manjarabad fort at Sakleshpur. Google suggests Hethur - Byakaravalli - Arekere - Manjarabad. Read in this thread that this route isnt good (post from 2 years back albeit) and may take upto 2 hours. Any thoughts? Heard that there are scenic meadows too around Sakleshpur and if those are recommended at this time of the year then I may head up to Sakleshpur and return to Bangalore via Hassan.

The other return option is Somwarpet - Hunsur - Mysore - Bangalore. Scenic routes are as important, if not more than the destinations, especially curves (I ride an R15 ) so will take a final call on return via Sakleshpur/Somwarpet basis your suggestions.
Old 14th July 2017, 19:49   #7256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Google suggests Hethur - Byakaravalli - Arekere - Manjarabad.
Ah the meadows around Hethur are breathtakingly beautiful. Check this thread. I dont remember the roads being bad on this stretch when we drove last year and I doubt it might have worsened so much in a year that it has become Bisle part 2 You can do Mallallai - Kundahalli - Vangoor - Bisle just ensure that you take that turn at Kundahalli. Drive safe and post some pics for us monsoon starved toads.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 15:40   #7257
BHPian

So did the ride from Bangalore to Bisile and back yesterday. Started at 445 from Indiranagar planning to connect to Yesvantpur via ORR. Found a massive traffic pileup a km or so before the narrow rail overbridge which leads to Taj Vivanta. Turned back before getting well and truly stuckup and bisected the city to reach Majestic, Magadi and finally joined NH 48 at Kunigal cross. It started drizzling at Arkalgud and by the time I reached Shanivarsanthe it had started coming down. Took the right at Kudrasthe towards Bisile, the scenery was mesmerizing. I expected to ride in the rain so wore rain cover beneath my riding gear and it was a joy to ride amidst lush greenery and zero traffic. Bisile ghat appeared otherworldly with fog descending because of the rain. As Dragonhawk had pointed out, the freshly laid tarmac lacks grip at certain patches and the rear tyre of my bike was twitching now and then. Went up to the beauty spot but one could only stare at the milky fog all around!

Rode back to Kudrasthe for a lunch of porota and chicken curry at one of the shacks before heading back on the same and the turnoff towards Mallalli falls. The rain had intensified by then and given that I had to be back the same evening, I rode past the turnoff to Mallalli and headed towards Somwarpet. Refuelled there with Kushalnagar as the next stop where SH 88 waited with plenty of folks doing crazy speeds right upto Mysore. It being a Saturday evening, there was not much traffic thankfully and if it had not been for the snarl due to metro construction at the entrance to the city, would have been back home before 10 PM. 604 kms, a sore back, drenched clothes but a memorable ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Drive safe and post some pics for us monsoon starved toads.
As requested!

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-19956843_1498090740210995_1694238019921653912_o.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-19983588_1497502756936460_4993866026899581833_o.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20023780_1497502760269793_443106202262760197_o.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20023848_1497504706936265_3451598400369905529_o.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20023995_1498090736877662_5654633553709907390_o.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20157971_1498108686875867_200784780862356815_o.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-19983721_1497505156936220_8467611697557131847_o.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20017519_1498092183544184_6790970550999614772_o.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20116962_1498108920209177_5316859288694832167_o.jpg
hothatchaway is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 20:17   #7258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Found a massive traffic pileup a km or so before the narrow rail overbridge which leads to Taj Vivanta.
The next time you face this problem, take this route to get onto tumkur road. Get onto HMT main road, hit Tumkur road and take the U turn at ORR junction. Much faster than going to majestic and all around.
Name:  Screenshot from 20170716 201436.png
Views: 2313
Size:  268.7 KB

Quote:
As requested!
thanks for those awesome pics. Really need to make time and drive to Mallalli & Bisle before the monsoon disappears.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 14:17   #7259
BHPian

Just did a quick trip to Mangalore. The tarred section of Shiradi has completely deteriorated. It is time to take alternate routes for Mangalore.
Old 24th July 2017, 09:42   #7260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Just did a quick trip to Mangalore. The tarred section of Shiradi has completely deteriorated. It is time to take alternate routes for Mangalore.
I need to head to Bantwal / BC Rd this Friday and wondering what would be the best route to drive down. Would going on Charmadi Ghat be any better at this point of time when compared to Shiradi - Many folks are echoing the same thing about poor tarmac in Shiradi. Can someone please guide me here on the road conditions via Charmadi and also what would be the best route from Bangalore to Bantwal via Charmadi Ghat? Thanks in advance for your help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks