Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:41   #7321
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I need to travel to Kukke and Dharmasthala from Udupi and then continue to Bangalore. This is planned for end of October. Is Shiradi the only option for me or is there a better road? Also do I need to visit Mangalore or is there a direct road from Udupi?
Kukke and Dharmasthala (and Udupi) are on either sides of the NH 75, so I think you will need to endure a part of Shiradi at least till Gundya and at the same time bypass the rest of Shiradi towards Mangalore
One possible option is:
1. Bangalore-Sakleshpur-Gundya-Kukke
2. Kukke-Take SH 37 via Aithoor-cut across the NH 75-Kokkada-Dharmasthala
3. Dharmasthala-Belthangady-Bajegoli-Turn off to SH1 towards Karkala-Nitte-Turn off to SH67 towards Shirva, Yenagudde-Merge on to NH 66-Udupi

Map Link

*A large part of this route is on SH 37 and I'm not aware of the conditions of these routes, better to get suggestions from folks more familiar with these roads
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 09:53   #7322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I need to travel to Kukke and Dharmasthala from Udupi and then continue to Bangalore. This is planned for end of October. Is Shiradi the only option for me or is there a better road?
I drove Shiradi yesterday and it truly is in horrid shape. Try getting out using Charmadi, even if it take longer.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 15:26   #7323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I drove Shiradi yesterday and it truly is in horrid shape. Try getting out using Charmadi, even if it takes longer.
I plan to drive to Kukke and Dharmasthala from Bengaluru this weekend. Given that we visit Kukke first every time, I guess I'm stuck with Shiradi at least for the onward journey. I'm also a little concerned because I'm driving my 2 months old City (first long drive for the car) and will be traveling with my 5 months old son(first long drive for him too). Also, like NPV suggested, I'm planning to take Aithoor cross to reach Dharmasthala via Kokkada. The plan is to stay at Dharmasthala and it's going to be nothing but Charmadi > Mudigere > Belur > Hassan route while returning

I guess that is the best possible route I can take. Please suggest if there is anything I should be aware of in my above plan, especially Shiradi stretch.

Thanks,
Bhushan

Last edited by LazyGunner : 4th October 2017 at 15:27.
Old 4th October 2017, 15:43   #7324
Senior - BHPian

Completed a drive to Udupi and back over the long weekend. Since Shiradi ghat road conditions were updated to be bad, took the BLR-Hassan-Belur-Chikamagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Agumbe-Manipal-Udupi route. This turned out to be the best decision. Good roads all through out with very few bad patches scattered across the 400+kms journey. Traffic is also quite less and very scenic route too! Came back via the same route and though the long weekend traffic had grown to a small extent it was still very much manageable compared to the mad overtaking traffic in Shiradi ghats. If you are not driving to Mangalore, this seems to be a good route for travelers going to Manipal/Udupi direct.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 4th October 2017 at 15:44.
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 18:42   #7325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
I plan to drive to Kukke and Dharmasthala from Bengaluru this weekend. Given that we visit Kukke first every time, I guess I'm stuck with Shiradi at least for the onward journey. I'm also a little concerned because I'm driving my 2 months old City (first long drive for the car) and will be traveling with my 5 months old son(first long drive for him too). Also, like NPV suggested, I'm planning to take Aithoor cross to reach Dharmasthala via Kokkada. The plan is to stay at Dharmasthala and it's going to be nothing but Charmadi > Mudigere > Belur > Hassan route while returning

I guess that is the best possible route I can take. Please suggest if there is anything I should be aware of in my above plan, especially Shiradi stretch.

Thanks,
Bhushan
Bhushan, you could still try shiradi while going as the tarmac is still much better downhill. I drove ertiga last week and must say the road is at worst after concrete work, but seen etios manage it. We all know etios GC.

While going down you can also assess the uphill part and take a call
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 21:07   #7326
BHPian

Does any one have any update on Bisle Ghat road? I will be driving to Subramanya during end of October and wanted to take this route.
Old 5th October 2017, 08:54   #7327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Does any one have any update on Bisle Ghat road? I will be driving to Subramanya during end of October and wanted to take this route.
Check post #7320 by Gany.
It's better to be avoided..
_chikku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 17:34   #7328
BHPian

Brace for Shiradi ghats closure, concreting the remaining half is again in news - http://www.daijiworld.com/news/newsD...?newsID=476259
Shubbi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 09:31   #7329
BHPian

I travel between Bangalore and Mangalore quite often and the preferred route is usually via Shiradi. Around 3 weeks back , took Charmadi Ghat and as mentioned by various folks on this forum it is a far better option than Charmadi given the current state of Shiradi. This weekend I am again driving to Mangalore on my Honda City and we plan visit Horanadu on the way. Google suggests the route as Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Mudigere -> Kottigehara -> Kalasa -> Horanadu . I had some queries mentioned below :

* How is the road condition between Kottigehara and Kalasa ?
* There is another route to Horanadu which is Bangalore -> Hassan -> Belur -> Mudigere -> Aldur -> Balehonnur -> Magundi -> Horanadu ? This is longer by around 30 kms , but would be a new route to explore. Is this road worth taking ?
* From Horanadu , we plan to take Kudremukh -> Karkala -> Mangalore. How are the roads here ?

Thanks
Suhas
suhasark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 10:22   #7330
BHPian

Driving to Sringeri-Hornadu next weekend, followed by a stay in Chikkamagalur.
How are the roads from Chikkamagalur to Sringeri post monsoon?
And is Sringeri-Hornadu and back doable in half a day, say with a 8AM start from Sringeri? Are the roads in decent shape?
Also plan a quick visit to Shimoga while in Chikkamagalur. Is the best route through Kadur or skirting the hills and through Tarikere?
Old 16th October 2017, 14:10   #7331
BHPian

Should one miss Shiradi Ghat while going to Mangalore from Hassan? Planning a trip the next weekend.
Old 16th October 2017, 21:51   #7332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanp23 View Post
Should one miss Shiradi Ghat while going to Mangalore from Hassan? Planning a trip the next weekend.
Better to avoid Shiradi and take Charmadi. Took Hassan->Belur->Mudigere->Charmadi-> Mangalore a couple of weeks back and roads were OK with minor potholes(and humps) until Mudigere. Charmadi was in good condition with a few curves in bad shape , but did not scrape the bottom with a low GC vehicle like Jazz whereas when I last drove through Shiradi , it was painful.

This weekend on the way to Horanadu , took Hassan->Sakleshpur->Hanbal->Mudigere and this road is excellent. I would recommend this over Hassan->Belur->Mudigere.

Cheers
Suhas
Old 17th October 2017, 10:00   #7333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasark View Post
This weekend on the way to Horanadu , took Hassan->Sakleshpur->Hanbal->Mudigere and this road is excellent. I would recommend this over Hassan->Belur->Mudigere.
Hi Suhas,

Did you take the Kudremukh route from Horanadu? How is the road condition till Karkala? Planning to take that route next weekend.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 17th October 2017, 10:13   #7334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hi Suhas,

Did you take the Kudremukh route from Horanadu? How is the road condition till Karkala? Planning to take that route next weekend.

Cheers
Rahul
Horanadu Kalasa Samse Kuduremukha SK Border Bajagoli Karkala is a road that usually remains in good shape. My last drive was 2 months back but even in general this road is either all good or partially OK but never been horrible or bad!

Karkala to Mangalore via Nitte - Belman is a wonderfully done road with frequent speedbreakers now.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 11:13   #7335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hi Suhas,

Cheers
Rahul
As Parag mentioned , very good roads all the way. Encountered heavy rains and fog (at 3 pm in the afternoon) in the ghat section which slowed down our drive a little bit. Since it is a reserve forest area , one needs to collect a token with vehicle details at the checkpost before the ghat and hand it over on the South Kanara side. Vehicular movement is minimal on this ghat , but just keep a lookout for cows and dogs at blind curves as there were plenty during our drive
suhasark is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed