Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2017, 11:45   #7336
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Thanks Paragbhai.

Tentative plan as follows:
Day 1 - 4 AM start from Bangalore, with visits to Sringeri and Horanadu and then drive down to moodbidri for the night.
Day 2 - In and around mangalore
Day 3 - Return to Bangalore via Coorg (on purpose to drive that route)

Question 1: I guess the best route on day 1 would be Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Sringeri - Shantigrama - Horanadu - Kalasa - Kudremukh - Karkala - Moodbidri. Any feedback?

Question 2: On Day 3 I would prefer to avoid mysore and therefore take Mangalore - Madikeri - Somwarpet - Shanivarasanthe - Arkalgud - Channarayapatna - Nelamangala/Magadi (depending on traffic) - Bangalore. Any feedback?

Cheers
Rahul
Old 17th October 2017, 12:09   #7337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Question 2: On Day 3 I would prefer to avoid mysore and therefore take Mangalore - Madikeri - Somwarpet - Shanivarasanthe - Arkalgud - Channarayapatna - Nelamangala/Magadi (depending on traffic) - Bangalore.
Somwarpet route has lot more twists & turns (more scenic too, driving amidst vast coffee estates). Relatively, Madikeri - Kushalnagar - Konanur - Arkalgud has lesser twists, so higher speed.
If your day 3 happens to be this Sunday, expect a sea of vehicles and long lines in all the toll gates right until Bangalore.

Question on Charmadi - there have been reports of landslides and traffic jams this past week due to incessant rains. Does anyone know the latest on this? I need to drive to the coast this week. If the picture of this is hazy, I will stick to my usual route of Hassan - CKM - Jayapura - Hariharpura - Agumbe.
Shubbi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 00:43   #7338
MSA

Hi Abhinav,

quick question on the road - are there fair number of hairpin bends? i'm traveling with some kids and my mom - wanted to know if it's not for the faint hearted!

thanks!
Old 18th October 2017, 08:35   #7339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSA View Post
are there fair number of hairpin bends?
Is this the route in question BLR-Hassan-Belur-Chikamagalur-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Agumbe-Manipal-Udupi?

If yes, then Aldur - Agumbe - Manipal has its fair share of hairpins, twists and turns but the roads are good hence should not be a problem if you drive cautiously.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 18:03   #7340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
Driving to Sringeri-Hornadu next weekend, followed by a stay in Chikkamagalur.
How are the roads from Chikkamagalur to Sringeri post monsoon?
And is Sringeri-Hornadu and back doable in half a day, say with a 8AM start from Sringeri? Are the roads in decent shape?
Also plan a quick visit to Shimoga while in Chikkamagalur. Is the best route through Kadur or skirting the hills and through Tarikere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Tentative plan as follows:
Day 1 - 4 AM start from Bangalore, with visits to Sringeri and Horanadu and then drive down to moodbidri for the night.
Day 2 - In and around mangalore
Day 3 - Return to Bangalore via Coorg (on purpose to drive that route)

Question 1: I guess the best route on day 1 would be Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Sringeri - Shantigrama - Horanadu - Kalasa - Kudremukh - Karkala - Moodbidri. Any feedback?
In the same boat as rahulb22, and would like to know conditions on Chikkamagalur-Sringeri-Shantigrama-Hornadu route.
Old 21st October 2017, 19:13   #7341

I will be travelling to Mangalore, Surathkal next weekend. Is the Shiradi route manageable in a low GC vehicle?
Old 21st October 2017, 21:09   #7342
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjeet_sam View Post
I will be travelling to Mangalore, Surathkal next weekend. Is the Shiradi route manageable in a low GC vehicle?
I think Shiradi is best avoided especially since you're driving a low GC car. Consider alternatives like charmadi.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 21:16   #7343
BHPian

Did Mangalore-Bangalore on my Honda City today. Took 7.5 hours including a break for 45 minutes for lunch at Sakleshpur.

The route taken was Mangalore >> BC Road >> Ujire >> Charmadi Ghat >> Mudigere >> Hanbal >> Sakleshpur >> Hassan>> Nelamangala >> Nice Road >> Bannerghatta Road .

Excellent roads throughout, though the food & service at Ossoor (Sakleshpur) was below average. Fastag lane at toll booths worked in most of the tolls except near BC road where they did the scan using a handheld device.

Saw quite a few cops on the road until Ujire and reason being the Karnataka CM’s proposed visit to BC Road & Dharmasthala tomorrow. I guess this route could have extra traffic regulations & delay because of VIP movement tomorrow.

Thanks
Suhas
suhasark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 13:30   #7344
BHPian

Planning to drive to Udupi this weekend from Bangalore. As I understand, charmadi still happens to be the best option. Will have an infant with me and hence want to start and reach early and I plan to start around 4.30AM. Hassan would be way too early for breakfast. What are my options post Hassan for breakfast/restroom post Hassan. Do I need to drive till Ujire?
Old 23rd October 2017, 13:50   #7345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Hassan would be way too early for breakfast. What are my options post Hassan for breakfast/restroom post Hassan. Do I need to drive till Ujire?
You can try Fresh Bean Cafe & Restaurant. Limited menu but top quality food and very clean rest rooms. They are open from 8 AM and you will be there just in time if you start after 4 AM.

The cafe is located between Mudigere and Kottigehara - in the premises of an Indian Oil pump.
Thunderbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:01   #7346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Planning to drive to Udupi this weekend from Bangalore. As I understand, charmadi still happens to be the best option. Will have an infant with me and hence want to start and reach early and I plan to start around 4.30AM. Hassan would be way too early for breakfast. What are my options post Hassan for breakfast/restroom post Hassan. Do I need to drive till Ujire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
You can try Fresh Bean Cafe & Restaurant. Limited menu but top quality food and very clean rest rooms. They are open from 8 AM and you will be there just in time if you start after 4 AM.

The cafe is located between Mudigere and Kottigehara - in the premises of an Indian Oil pump.
Fresh bean makes perfect sense and quite a decent (rather good) place to stop by when heading via Charmadi.

It is located soon after crossing Banakal town on the right hand side attached to IOCL (that accepts cards and fuel has been good for my car).

paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:11   #7347
BHPian

Quote:
Driving to Sringeri-Hornadu next weekend, followed by a stay in Chikkamagalur.
How are the roads from Chikkamagalur to Sringeri post monsoon?
And is Sringeri-Hornadu and back doable in half a day, say with a 8AM start from Sringeri? Are the roads in decent shape?
Also plan a quick visit to Shimoga while in Chikkamagalur. Is the best route through Kadur or skirting the hills and through Tarikere?
Completed Bengalooru-Sringeri-Hornadu-Chikkamagalur over the last 4 days. Sringeri-Hornadu via Shantigrama-Balehole is a lovely drive through scenic but mostly very narrow roads. Traffic is sparse.
OT, Chikkamagalur-Shimoga via Lingadahalli-Tarikere is also a great drive and
it avoids the horrible conjested Kadur-Shimoga stretch for the most part as a bonus.
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:16   #7348
Senior - BHPian

My brother in law traveled from Goa-Udupi-Kukke to Bangalore via Shiradi yesterday. It was a Honda city with 5 people, fully loaded with luggage. The information I got is some 5-6KM stretch is in bad shape where you need to negotiate but rest concrete part is excellent. Since Honda city can do it I feel the road is still do-able Thought of sharing this since it is 1 day old data.
Old 25th October 2017, 17:17   #7349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OT, Chikkamagalur-Shimoga via Lingadahalli-Tarikere is also a great drive and it avoids the horrible conjested Kadur-Shimoga stretch for the most part as a bonus.
Chikkamagalur - Kaimara - Lingadahalli - Tarikere has been one of the most preferred options to reach Shivamogga, mainly for the locals and the fact that the dreaded KM Road connecting to Kadur was mostly in bad state till it was done-up completely around 5 years back.

The better part of taking the Lingadahalli option is that it has sparse traffic and very scenic compared to the Sakkharayataptna - Kadur route. Plus on this route you need not pass through the Twin towns of Kadur and Birur and hit Tarikere directly.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 19:35   #7350
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think Shiradi is best avoided especially since you're driving a low GC car. Consider alternatives like charmadi.
Hey man,
What is this about low ground clearance?
I travel on Shiradi in my type 2 Honda city every month.

Sometimes I take my brother's Civic. Obviously one needs to plan ones path across potholes.

GC should not be a reason to avoid bad roads.

I took my city atop Bili kal Betta near Kanakapura. And flew kites (unsuccessfully, as it was too windy) and then had a barbecue (slightly burnt). 10 years ago I took a premier padmini diesel and literally pushed it to the top of BKBetta.

Charmadi is good. No doubt. The only thing I like about it is the neer dosa joint halfway up those ghats, There is also a good roadside restaurant before climbing Charmadi. On the left side.

7t is unsafe from every point of view. Rock outcroppings are seen at every blind turns. Our red KSRTC Kempanna busses often cone hurtling in the opposite direction.

In Shiradi, you will find many side gullies to take you to the Netravathi river flowing alongside. It has plenty of eating places.

If you, the original poster, wish to avoid the bad roads, go via Madikeri and Puttur. It's a bit longer. GC is not a problem on that route.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th October 2017 at 13:58.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks