Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 16:47   #7366
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhasark View Post
Breakfast options : Plenty of them until Hassan once you cross Nelamangala and there are boards all the way until Hassan with advertisements everywhere. A2B is popular and you will find it just after Chennarayapatna bye pass,

Cheers
Suhas
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Thanks Mate. One more query. How do you compare the route you suggested as against the Mysore-Madikeri-Sullia route. I am contemplatin taking the Madikeri route.
The A2B is such a waste of time and money, if you ask me. Getting a seat to the bill is a laborious process. You will easily lose an hour and half in the process. I would suggest Swati Delicacy or Mayura for an early breakfast and reach in time for lunch at Mangalore.

Some of the popular joints in Mangaluru

For non veg
Girimanja's, Lower car street
Sizzling Chef's, Mannagudde
Hotel Narayana, Bunder
Kakunje's Parantha, City center
Hotel Maya INternational, Bendoorwell
Kori Rotti, Jail road
Rai's hot dragon
Hotel Village, Yeyyadi
Danish, Light house road
Pop taste, Balmatta
Gajalee, near Kadri park
Shin Min Rice Hao Ming, Balmatta
Machali, Opp Sharadha college

Veg:
Gujrathi hotel, Bavanthi street
Hotel Amantran
Taj mahal
Hotel Janatha delux
Hotel Woodlands, Bunts hostel
Hotel Palkhi
Hangyo, Saibeen complex
Ram Lunchhouse, PVS
Ideal and Pabbas for desserts
unk9ja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 09:04   #7367
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mate. One more query. How do you compare the route you suggested as against the Mysore-Madikeri-Sullia route. I am contemplatin taking the Madikeri route.
The route is longer. Madikeri to Mangalore road is good (including Sampaje Ghat). The road from Madikeri to Mangalore intersects Mani on NH 75. Bangalore-Mysore road as all of us know depends on the time of the day. If the idea is to avoid toll as your signature suggests you will encounter a toll at BC road (25 rupees) irrespective of the route you take.
Old 20th November 2017, 18:21   #7368
BHPian

Hello, did you try the Hanbal route ? sorry, i saw this query now. I used this stretch to drive to Dharmasthala back in Aug. It was a nice twisty stretch with less traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srihari154 View Post
Hello People,

Anyone traveled on the Anemahal --> Hanbal route recently to reach Charmadi from Sakleshpur? Need to travel to Udupi this Friday(early morning) and want to avoid Shiradi.

Travelling with an infant and need to reach Udupi as soon as possible.
Old 21st November 2017, 15:08   #7369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Hello, did you try the Hanbal route ? sorry, i saw this query now. I used this stretch to drive to Dharmasthala back in Aug. It was a nice twisty stretch with less traffic.
Hello,

Took this route on 17th and the same back on 20th while returning, Absolutely fantastic route with pothole free drive the entire stretch. This road is still in its pristine condition.

Took this route onwards
Blore-->Sakleshpur-->Hanbal-->Charmadi(Ghat)-->Belthangady-->Naravi-->Bajagoli-->Belman-->Katpadi--Udupi

Started at 3:30AM in the morning from Bengaluru and reached at 11:00AM Udupi.

Charmadi is still holding good with about 50 to 100 meters stretch after the haripin curves in a very bad state(feels like a river crossing), although way better than Shiradi.
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:57   #7370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you compare the route you suggested against the Mysore-Madikeri-Sullia route.
Suhas has suggested the best option in terms of time, traffic and road conditions.
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:25   #7371
BHPian

My drive in August was like this : - BLR-Sakleshpur-Hanbal-Kottigehara-Ujire-Belthangady-Naravi-Bajagoli-Kudremukha-Kalasa-Hassan-BLR. Absolutely fantastic roads with rain for company. We got stuck in Charmadi for 2 hours due to a overturned truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srihari154 View Post
Hello,

Took this route on 17th and the same back on 20th while returning, Absolutely fantastic route with pothole free drive the entire stretch. This road is still in its pristine condition.

Took this route onwards
Blore-->Sakleshpur-->Hanbal-->Charmadi(Ghat)-->Belthangady-->Naravi-->Bajagoli-->Belman-->Katpadi--Udupi

Started at 3:30AM in the morning from Bengaluru and reached at 11:00AM Udupi.

Charmadi is still holding good with about 50 to 100 meters stretch after the haripin curves in a very bad state(feels like a river crossing), although way better than Shiradi.
Old 27th November 2017, 07:48   #7372
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I would be taking this stretch day time in few days:
Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa - Kuduremukha - Karkala - Udupi

Can you please help me with the road conditions. TIA

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 27th November 2017, 18:06   #7373
Senior - BHPian

I had to attend a wedding at Bijoor near Byndoor on Sunday. So planned to do a Bangalore - Udupi on day 1 and Udupi - Bijoor and Bijoor - Bengaluru on day2 on my Duke390. I had heard a lot about the Chikmagalur and Agumbe route and decided to try that this time around onwards.

The onward route was Girinagar - Nelamangala - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Agumbe - Perduru - Hebri - Manipal - Udupi

Left home from Girinagar at 0500 and reached Udupi at 1150. Roads till Hassan is nothing but great to drive on. Filled petrol at the IOC bunk in front of Bhanu theater as mentioned here by Parag and others at Hassan. Hassan to Belur is good but lot of speed breakers. The road thereafter till Chikmagalur is in good condition. Reached CK by 0810.

The road from Chikmagalur till Jayapura is okish with lot of undulations. Add the numerous twisting roads, it is really hard on the driver negotiating these. After Jayapura, it gets better and better. It finally joins the Karkala - Manipal road at Hebri and from thereafter, it is bad with numerous potholes and local traffic adding to the woes. The roads in Manipal is being white topped and may result in chaos during peak hours. Since it was a weekend, there was sparse traffic all though the way.

Apart from the fuel stop at Hassan, the other stop was at the famous Bhadra Coffee Shop at Balehonnur. This time around, only coffee was available here.

On Sunday, left Udupi to Bijoor. Excellent roads till Kundapure. From Kundapura to Trasi, the roads are bad with patched up potholes adding to the woes. Thereafter due to the road widening, there are numerous deviations but the condition remains excellent.

On the return journey, took the following route as it was the fastest to get home, and boy I loved this route
Bijoor - Kollur- Nittur - Nagara - Hosanagara - Ripponpet - Ayanur - Harihar bypass - Davanagere - Tumakuru - Nelamangala - Girinagar

Left Bijoor at 1300 and reached Girrinagar at 2050 with 2 stops for fuel.

Bijoor to Kollur was a narrow 2 lane road with sparse traffic. Roads inside the Kollur town is in tatters but that accounts to 2 km, so no sweat induced. Nagodi ghat has concrete roads that is unsettling. Maybe the four wheelers would not experience this, but two wheelers would definitely find this vague. The route after tiill Ayanur was superb with long twisting stretches. A biker's heaven indeed. Roads within the villages/ towns enroute are slightly bad but manageable. A couple of potholes on the Nagara - Hosanagara stretch took me by surprise. After the Ayanur, I did the mistake of taking the Harihar stretch when I missed the deviation to Channagiri and Davanagere. This was recommended route which I missed out but had a different way of fun here. This route has tarmac of previous 3 generation exposed and is horrible. An off roaders paradise. Where you don't see these tarmac, there is are huge potholes. And vehicles drive as they want, left right and center. The meaner KSRTC buses too brake for the state of roads here. Reached the Harihar bypass at 1650 and then onwards it was peaceful drive till Tumakuru. After this, traffic builds up considerably and the construction of flyover near the NICE exit adds to chaos on the road. Adding to this was a breakdown on the elevated stretch. Managed to reach home at 2050.

Not wanting to hurt people driving the mentioned vehicles here, this was my observation. People on Kwids are the most dangerous lot. Looks like a 2W owner upgrading to a 4W. Next in line to Kwid is Nano, same opinion but don't see these on highways these days. And biker's returning from the IBW are the worst lot. A mixed group of riders just zipped past without any respect to the rules or safety of fellow users. Similarly a group of Versys riders with loud exhausts riding at insane speeds sped past me on the left of the white marking on the left lane. I managed to see a TN registration bike at the end but others just whizzed past.
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 09:21   #7374
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Any latest updates on Shiradi? Planning to drive to mangalore this Friday.

Cheers
Rahulb22
Old 28th November 2017, 10:21   #7375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hello Folks,

Any latest updates on Shiradi? Planning to drive to mangalore this Friday.

Cheers
Rahulb22
I drove over the last weekend on Alto. It's manageable if you are careful and drive slow. Lot of patch work has been done below shiradi and around gundya.
_chikku is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 12:16   #7376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Hello Folks,
Any latest updates on Shiradi? Planning to drive to Mangalore this Friday.
Go ahead, since your car has a good GC.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 17:32   #7377
BHPian

Sorry for the slightly nature of this query. This thread seemed to be the most active for routes in Karnataka, hence the post here.

I'm planning a motorcycle ride in December which includes the route from Chickmagaluru to Palolem in South Goa. The idea is not to take the fastest route but the longer, more scenic one.

What do you guys think about this route plan? Is route worth exploring?
  1. Chickmagaluru
  2. Agumbe
  3. Hulikal
  4. Sagara
  5. Siddapur
  6. Sirsi
  7. Karwar
  8. Palolem

Basically this route

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ch...15.0099648!3e0

I can manage the long riding time. Do let me know what you think.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 29th November 2017 at 17:33.
Old 29th November 2017, 23:32   #7378
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ranjit, the route you have selected is very scenic. It will be a great driving experience in December. There are couple of threads related to Sirsi and Karwar, have shared one link below,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...si-trip-6.html
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 12:46   #7379
BHPian

NITK Surathkal & Hejmadi toll gates set to be merged; Surathkal one would be shut down.

Source - http://www.daijiworld.com/news/newsD...?newsID=483919

Last edited by Eddy : 30th November 2017 at 19:37. Reason: corrected link
Old 7th December 2017, 20:00   #7380
BHPian

Hello Folks,

Just completed a trip to Moodbidri and back. Took Shiradi while going and Charmadi on the way back. Took about 7 Hours both ways on average.
Road between Yediyur and Belur cross (towards mangalore) seems to have suddenly gone rough for a few kms. Shiradi continues to be bad for about 20 kms as discussed above, with some patch work done after Gundya.
Charmadi is better in terms of road quality except for a few craters near the hair-pin bends, if you do not mind steeper curves. It was good to see a new layer of tar being laid after Mudigere which makes the ride up to Belur butter smooth. Belur to Hassan has a few craters nearer to Hassan town. Hassan to Bangalore remains good.

Cheers
Rahul
rahulb22 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks