Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2017, 07:43   #7411
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hello people,

Shirdi ghat work is expected to start from Jan and close by March ( as per PWD minister). They had cancelled the previous tender and reissued the new. As per the article, original date to start the work was Nov 2017, got pushed to Jan 2018, now they claim it may start by 15th Jan.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-1513822605264460365832.jpg  

Last edited by ampere : 21st December 2017 at 08:11.
aithalsandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:16   #7412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Then time to enjoy it again. By the way you posted your query, it was missing the main term (Agumbe) and that made me guess you perhaps were not aware of that because you mentioned just Chikmagalur.

Enjoy your drive. The Agumbe ghats are relaid and in the best of their shape as of now.
Yesterday we came to Udupi via the planned route. Hassan-Chikmagalur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri-Agumbe-Halady-Udupi.

The route was awesome and we really enjoyed it. My Alto 800 could comfortably cruise at 120 at most stretches, before Hasan. We visited the ancient Sringeri temple and my daughter really loved watching those huge fishes in river behind the temple. We had lunch near the temple. Not so good. But okay.

The Agumbe ghat section was also a thrill to drive. We saw many varieties of monkeys on the way, which you only find in zoos.

Overall highly recommend route. Probably not the best route if you want to do 120 all throughout. But good scenic route, for leisure driving. We started from Bangalore at 7.30 Am and reached at 5 Pm

We will next go from Udupi to Bellary and then Bellary to Bangalore. Any suggestions for route to Bellary?

Last edited by ampere : 22nd December 2017 at 20:45. Reason: back to back posts merged
revhappy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:44   #7413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
We will next go from Udupi to Bellary and then Bellary to Bangalore. Any suggestions for route to Bellary?
Tirthahalli - Bhadravati - Channagiri - Chitradurga - Challakere - Bellary I think should be a decent route. Channagiri - Chitradurga is apparently OK based on this post. Not sure about Bhadravati - Channagiri.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:37   #7414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Agumbe ghat section was also a thrill to drive.
How is the road condition on this stretch? How long did it take to travel from Sringeri to Agumbe? We are supposed to take the same route but in the reverse direction next Sunday.
Old 22nd December 2017, 16:28   #7415
BHPian

Just drove this route in the last 4 days:

Onward:
Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Agumbe - Udupi - Malpe

Return:
Malpe - Mangalore - Bantwala - Uppinangadi - Kadaba - Kukke - Gundya - Sakaleshpura - Hassan - Bangalore

Special mention for "Uppinangadi - Kadaba - Kukke" route - Amazingly smooth road - a pleasure to drive on.
10-15km between Gundya and the concretized part of the Shiradi ghat remains horrible. I was lucky to be driving on a weekday with not many vehicles. This allowed me to negotiate the craters better

Last edited by amazer2013 : 22nd December 2017 at 16:31. Reason: Edited incomplete post which was submitted by mistake
amazer2013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 20:16   #7416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
How is the road condition on this stretch? How long did it take to travel from Sringeri to Agumbe? We are supposed to take the same route but in the reverse direction next Sunday.
The road is good, no potholes, very scenic in between a forest. I don't remember the amount of time. But i think we did avg 60-80 kmph at that stretch. The other alternative is to skip sringeri and take the road via koppa, this is the suggestion given by Google maps. We wanted to visit the Sringeri temple hence we decided that route. But I think the route from Koppa should be nice as well.

Last edited by revhappy : 22nd December 2017 at 20:20.
revhappy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 20:28   #7417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The other alternative is to skip sringeri and take the road via koppa, this is the suggestion given by Google maps.
That's quite a deviation from the direct route. What is the purpose of going through Koppa?
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 04:56   #7418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's quite a deviation from the direct route. What is the purpose of going through Koppa?
This is the default route suggested by Google. I guess it is because Google expects traffic in the Sringeri route.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20171223_045503.png  

revhappy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 11:03   #7419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the default route suggested by Google. I guess it is because Google expects traffic in the Sringeri route.
It is clear from the map that the route doesn't go all the way to Koppa. I was confused because you said to go via Koppa.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 19:30   #7420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I took Shiradi route while travelling to Puttur on 17th
Took the Shiradi Ghat today, 20km stretch before Gundya is in shambles. Though very much do-able, couldnt avoid scraping the bumper bottom a couple of times though.

Traffic density was just too much with the long weekend rush -hardly felt like a highway drive with the road choked with vehicles all going away from Bangalore and progress painfully slow.

With all the trees after Hassan chopped off in the name of road widening, it looks barren with lot of dust everywhere.
Old 23rd December 2017, 20:42   #7421
BHPian

Quote:

Udupi - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Shimoga - Chitradurga - Bellary

Agumbe to Shimoga is awesome drive, it will exceed your heightened expectations set from the onward journey , but do expect patches of road widening/upgrade. Shimoga to Chitradurga 80% good road (also under widening n upgrade). Check Bangalore-Shimoga thread for detail. Rest/hotel options are Seethanadi, Mayura at Thirthahalli, multiple at Shimoga (try Meenakshi Bhavan for old world small town charm), Mysore cafe/Laxmi Bhavan at Chitradurga.

Chitradurga to Bellary, take a call based on threads. One of the related thread is Bangalore-Hampi.
aithalsandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 16:43   #7422
BHPian

Hi All,

Planning to drive down to Mangalore on Wednesday morning in my Corolla. As i am driving a sedan and feedback for Shirdi Ghat is not great.

Which is the best route to take out of the below 2 :

Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Sakaleshpura - Anemahal - Hanbal - Jannapura - Mudigere Handpost - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - BC Road - Mangalore

Alternate route via Belur avoiding Sakleshpur :

Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere Handpost - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - BC Road - Mangalore

It will be an early morning 4 AM start from Bangalore i am hoping to reach mangalore during lunch time around 1 PM or earlier if possible.
Old 24th December 2017, 17:05   #7423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Hi All,

Planning to drive down to Mangalore on Wednesday morning in my Corolla. As i am driving a sedan and feedback for Shirdi Ghat is not great.

Which is the best route to take out of the below 2 :

Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Sakaleshpura - Anemahal - Hanbal - Jannapura - Mudigere Handpost - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - BC Road - Mangalore

Alternate route via Belur avoiding Sakleshpur :

Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere Handpost - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - BC Road - Mangalore

It will be an early morning 4 AM start from Bangalore i am hoping to reach mangalore during lunch time around 1 PM or earlier if possible.
I have used option 2 multiple times. You can easily reach Mangalore by lunch. I mostly start around 5 and cross Mangalore around 12 to reach udupi before 1
Old 24th December 2017, 19:30   #7424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I have used option 2 multiple times. You can easily reach Mangalore by lunch. I mostly start around 5 and cross Mangalore around 12 to reach udupi before 1
Thanks will be going via 2nd route.
Old 25th December 2017, 07:45   #7425
BHPian

Hello guys, we are travelling today from Udupi to Bellary. I am confused whether I should take the Agumbe ghat route or the Hulikal ghat route. Agumbe ghat route was awesome during onward journey. But I am a but skeptical about going upslope on those steep curves. I did Hulikal route in 2013 and the roads were very bad, but the curves manageble. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks