Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 10:13   #7486
BHPian

Planning for Bangalore-Udupi via Hassan-Shiradi either today late noon or early morning tomorrow. Would there be an impact on the journey due to bandh tomorrow?
Old 24th January 2018, 10:36   #7487
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
Planning for Bangalore-Udupi via Hassan-Shiradi either today late noon or early morning tomorrow. Would there be an impact on the journey due to bandh tomorrow?
shiradi is closed, bandh or not. read previous 1 or 2 pages of this thread
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 12:22   #7488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
The bandh you are referring to could impact you if you are driving tomorrow. But the other bandh - closure of the ghat due to road work - will not allow you to pass through the Shiradi ghat even today (pls refer to post#7474 of this thread). After Hassan, you will have to move towards Mudigere to take the Charmadi ghat.
Old 24th January 2018, 12:38   #7489
BHPian

Need some help in route planning for the travel planned for this long weekend starting on 26th Jan. I am travelling with my parents (Senior Citizens) and my wife and 5yr old daughter. Here is my Itinerary.

Day 1 : Start around 5 AM from Bangalore and have Darshan in Dharmasthala and then proceed to Udupi. In Udupi, I've booked Kediyoor hotel and plan to visit Krishna temple in the evening and retire for the day.

Route :

Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi Ghat - Uijre-Dharmasthala-Ujire-Belthangady-Guruvayanakere-Naravi-Nitte-Belman-Udupi

Day 2: Head to Murudeshwar from Udupi. May visit the Saint mary island in the morning and then proceed to Murudeshwar. Booked hotel RNS residency in Murudeshwar for 2 Nights.

Route:

Via the Edapally-Pavavel Highway-Murudeshwar

Day 3: Drive to Gokarna and visit the temple and Om Beach and return back to Murudeshwar

Day 4: Drive back to Bangalore

Route
Murudeshwar - Honnavar - Kumta - Sirsi - Haveri - Chitradurga - Bangalore

Questions:

Does the route for Day 1 makes sense or do u suggest some other route as it seems Charmadi will be chaotic because of the closure of Shriadi and the long weekend traffic.

Do u think it is possible to finish the Darshan in Dharmasthala in 2-3Hrs and reach Udupi by evening. I am planning to go for special Darshan and if possible have lunch in the temple

For Day4, Do u suggest some other routes which would have places to see on the way ?

Also any suggestion to the itinerary and places to see are most welcome.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 24th January 2018, 14:48   #7490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
Day 4: Drive back to Bangalore
Route
Murudeshwar - Honnavar - Kumta - Sirsi - Haveri - Chitradurga - Bangalore
Questions:
For Day4, Do u suggest some other routes which would have places to see on the way ?
Jog falls is en-route (not sure if it is worth in Jan) from Honnavar to Shimoga. This is another ghat road that will take you to Shimoga from Honnavar. Instead of going back all the way to Kumta this is another route. You can reach Chitradurga from Shimoga for NH-4 (NH-48).
I am not sure about road condition, please get it verified from fellow BHPians. I had taken this road a decade ago and it was not great. Narrow in ghat section.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 15:19   #7491
BHPian

Kodagu district administration has banned heavy vehicular traffic between Sampaje - Kushalanagara stretch during 6AM - 9 PM window until further notice.

Link : https://goo.gl/542Q86 [Kannada]
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 18:05   #7492
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
Day 1 : Start around 5 AM from Bangalore and have Darshan in Dharmasthala and then proceed to Udupi. In Udupi, I've booked Kediyoor hotel and plan to visit Krishna temple in the evening and retire for the day.

Route :

Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi Ghat - Uijre-Dharmasthala-Ujire-Belthangady-Guruvayanakere-Naravi-Nitte-Belman-Udupi

Does the route for Day 1 makes sense or do u suggest some other route as it seems Charmadi will be chaotic because of the closure of Shriadi and the long weekend traffic.

Do u think it is possible to finish the Darshan in Dharmasthala in 2-3Hrs and reach Udupi by evening. I am planning to go for special Darshan and if possible have lunch in the temple
I did the exact same thing as Day 1, but without dharmasthala visit. Started at 0500, reached kediyoor at 1300 with 2 breaks. Had kediyoor lunch, took rest, had leisurely darsan in the evening. Since you plan to visit lord manjunatha, start at something like 4ish from bangalore, since the temple is sure to be crowded (even for special darshan) considering long weekend. In fact, if you start at 3 (dont know how practical) you can reach dharmasthala before the crowds gather. Large queues for lunch are a given on such days, so if it doesn't bother you much, dont wait until temple lunch and have lunch on the way or a late lunch at kediyoor itself. Please take a break at fresh bean cafe banakal (i got to know about it in this forum, clean restrooms) for a restroom/fuel break - your parents will thank you for it. Plan such that senior folks & kids can relax a bit before the krishna temple visit and also considering the next few days are going to involve lots of travel.
Happy journey
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 13:10   #7493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Jog falls is en-route (not sure if it is worth in Jan) from Honnavar to Shimoga. This is another ghat road that will take you to Shimoga from Honnavar. Instead of going back all the way to Kumta this is another route. You can reach Chitradurga from Shimoga for NH-4 (NH-48).
I am not sure about road condition, please get it verified from fellow BHPians. I had taken this road a decade ago and it was not great. Narrow in ghat section.
Thanks for the suggestion Rajiv. I thought of visiting Jog however was bit apprehensive considering the water level during this time of the year. Now the plan is bit changed and I am planning of coming back in the same route considering the visit to Dharmasthala on the return leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I did the exact same thing as Day 1, but without dharmasthala visit. Started at 0500, reached kediyoor at 1300 with 2 breaks. Had kediyoor lunch, took rest, had leisurely darsan in the evening. Since you plan to visit lord manjunatha, start at something like 4ish from bangalore, since the temple is sure to be crowded (even for special darshan) considering long weekend. In fact, if you start at 3 (dont know how practical) you can reach dharmasthala before the crowds gather. Large queues for lunch are a given on such days, so if it doesn't bother you much, dont wait until temple lunch and have lunch on the way or a late lunch at kediyoor itself. Please take a break at fresh bean cafe banakal (i got to know about it in this forum, clean restrooms) for a restroom/fuel break - your parents will thank you for it. Plan such that senior folks & kids can relax a bit before the krishna temple visit and also considering the next few days are going to involve lots of travel.
Happy journey
Thanks Venky. I am now thinking on the same lines. It may too hectic to finish Dharmasthala visit and head to Udupi on the same day considering the long weekend and the time it takes for Darshan. So the plan is to have the Darshan on the return leg I.e. on 29th Jan on my way back from Murudeshwar.

While going I am planning to head directly to Udupi and go to Saint Mary Island and then Darshan in Krishna temple in the evening.
Old 27th January 2018, 02:47   #7494
BHPian

Did Blore-Mlore today via channaraypatna - holenarsipura - arkalgudu - shanivarasanthe - somwarapete - madikeri. Road conditions are good throughout except for a few rough patches.

Started at 4PM and reached Mlore at 12.

I was initially thinking of taking Charmadi but changed mind after Nelamangala. I guess this was a good decision as i heard about a traffic jam in Charmadi late evening.

This will be my regular route till Shiradi opens again.
fast_elegance is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 13:53   #7495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
This will be my regular route till Shiradi opens again.
Me too
On Wednesday, I started at 04:45 AM from B'lore and reached M'lore at 12:30 PM. For the return today, started at 4:30 AM and reached at 1 with a couple of breaks.

No tolls or major traffic. Real happy with this route.
Old 30th January 2018, 15:03   #7496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Any reviews on Ibbani Cafe in Mudigere? I passed by yesterday, the place looks nice, but saw only car in the parking lot.
We had breakfast at Ibbani Cafe on Sunday. Pretty decent i should say. We had Neer dose and Kerala Parota. Both were good and we topped it up with some excellent Masala chai.

There were about 5-6 carloads of people on Sunday morning for breakfast.

Dunno about lunch though !!
Rajesh K R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 19:02   #7497
Senior - BHPian

A Google search from Sakleshpura to Kukke shows up the Shiradi route. While a search to Mangaluru shows up Charmadi route. Also the road blocked on the maps shows up a couple of kms from Gundya towards Mangaluru.

Can someone confirm if the above is true.
Old 1st February 2018, 10:04   #7498
BHPian

Hello All,

Has anybody here tried channaraypatna - holenarsipura - arkalgudu - kushalnagar - madikeri route? Heard someone mention that the Holenarsipura - Kushalnagar stretch which was being upgraded is now complete.

Any updates would be of great help.

Regards
Rahulb22
Old 5th February 2018, 13:03   #7499
BHPian

Planning 3 a.m. start from Chennai to Udupi next week on Friday. Considering the fact that the Shiradi route is closed for traffic, please suggest a best alternative. We are a family of four (2 adults and 2 kids above 6 years) and it would be a sedate drive at 80 km/hr. Please suggest restaurants for breakfast and lunch with decent rest rooms. I would like to reach Udupi by around 5 pm.
Old 5th February 2018, 14:14   #7500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
A Google search from Sakleshpura to Kukke shows up the Shiradi route. While a search to Mangaluru shows up Charmadi route. Also the road blocked on the maps shows up a couple of kms from Gundya towards Mangaluru.
Maranahalli - Gundya stretch is closed. Hence if you need to go to Kukke, then Bisle or Charmadi are the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
arkalgudu - kushalnagar - madikeri
Arkalgud - Ramanathapura - Konanur - Kushalnagar is the route. Google sometimes routes you directly from Arkalgud to Konanur via a very narrow stretch of road - do ensure that you go via Ramanathapura. Arkalgud - Ramanathapura stretch was redone sometime last aug/sep and was reported to be good. Not sure if the road works you are talking about is after that time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Planning 3 a.m. start from Chennai to Udupi next week on Friday.
Thats almost 13 hours of driving time. Best bet would be Chennai - Krishnagiri - Hosur - NICE - Nelamangala - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Bajegoli - Udupi.

Breakfast: Target any of the restraunts around Shoolagiri/Krishnagiri assuming that you will be there around 8 am with a 3 am start. A2B or Krishna Bhavan next to McD Shoolagiri.

Lunch: A2B Udayapura - you should be here around 12.30 - 1:00 pm mark

Pit Stop: around 3.30 - 4 PM mark Ibbani cafe or Fresh Bean Cafe Banakal
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks