Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2018, 08:33   #7591
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
Will Election check posts try to create nuisance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
By the way how is the election related check posts, hopefully they do not cause too much delay!
Nope, first of all they don't stop all vehicles. The only place where it happened in my trip was just off Shimoga-Tirthahalli road heading towards Mutinakoppa-Koppa where the number of vehicles were lesser.

In the ones we were stopped, they asked one question (where we were coming from and where we were heading). Asked us to open the boot. Looked who were travelling with us and then let us go! That is all, this maximum took about 2 mins each. Only one occasion did they ask us how much money we were carrying.

On NH48, there was only one near Belur Cross where they were at the most flagging down 10-20% of the vehicles passing through. On the early morning return (430am start) from Hassan, there was checking presence at all.

In summary, you are likely to be flagged more frequently in low traffic routes than the high traffic ones. Even then its not going to affect your travel time.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 08:42   #7592
BHPian

Agree with the above,

I have been driving extensively in the ghats and the coast in the last 2 weeks. Was stopped only twice out of nearly 50 of those posts in total. In those those two stops, they just asked origin and destination. Also, I was dressed more like an "uncle/yajman" of the ghats/coast, with all windows down, smiling face (not over-obedient), no weights being thrown around and not much luggage.

Good idea to switch-on the cabin lights and indicate willingness to stop much before. However, my family travelled around lakkavalli in a taxi once where they did a thorough check - opening all bags, pockets and a lot of questions. The limit for cash is ₹25k, excess cash needs docs to prove genuine reasons, I was told.
aithalsandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 14:50   #7593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
However, my family travelled around lakkavalli in a taxi once where they did a thorough check - opening all bags, pockets and a lot of questions. The limit for cash is ₹25k, excess cash needs docs to prove genuine reasons, I was told.
It's kind of Random checks. Once I was stopped near Mysore while traveling from Malavalli. I guess Check post guy was too keen on checking out my new car, asked me to open all the bags including my wife's ladies handbag. I argued with him if its legal for the male staff to check ladies bag. He clarified that he won't check ladies handbag if they are going in a two-wheeler. What a logic!! To my frustration, I was looking at the heavily loaded vegetable mini trucks were not at all stopped and asked any questions. Probably these guys don't watch movies where carrying illegal stuff happen more in such trucks or
ThilakNex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 19:19   #7594
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThilakNex View Post
It's kind of Random checks. Once I was stopped near Mysore while traveling from Malavalli. I guess Check post guy was too keen on checking out my new car, asked me to open all the bags including my wife's ladies handbag. I argued with him if its legal for the male staff to check ladies bag. He clarified that he won't check ladies handbag if they are going in a two-wheeler. What a logic!! To my frustration, I was looking at the heavily loaded vegetable mini trucks were not at all stopped and asked any questions. Probably these guys don't watch movies where carrying illegal stuff happen more in such trucks or
Personally, I dont believe these checks serve the intended purpose. Money still flows before elections and gets transported right in front of their eyes anyway. Sometimes one or two vehicles are thrown into the ring as bait (some people get sacrificed) to keep the bureaucracy happy. These checks are forced upon the people doing it, from "above" , and the checkers themselves use this chance to go on a power trip. I had to do a bangalore-mysore trip recently and the already clogged state highway had many new barricades for "checking" - serves no other purpose than converting a bad traffic situation into a nightmare. A 3 hour trip became 6-1/2 hour trip.
Old 11th May 2018, 19:58   #7595
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess we have had enough posts that refer only about Police checking during election time in general while this thread is about routes to drive to Mangalore.

About time we all realise that the checking shall remain as long as there are elections in any state for that matter and depending on the route and day you drive, you may be lucky or delayed due to this too.

Now let's get back to advises and feedbacks about ways to reach Kudla .
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 20:40   #7596
Senior - BHPian

Quick question-

Planning a drive from Udupi to Bangalore this weekend.
After passing through Charmadi ghat, which is the preferred way? via Sakleshpur or Belur - Hassan? Any good restaurant suggestions en-route until Hassan. I know about beyond Hassan.
Old 15th May 2018, 20:55   #7597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Quick question-

Planning a drive from Udupi to Bangalore this weekend.
After passing through Charmadi ghat, which is the preferred way? via Sakleshpur or Belur - Hassan? Any good restaurant suggestions en-route until Hassan. I know about beyond Hassan.
Both are preferred but given the present case that Sakaleshpur Hassan will have lesser traffic owing to closure of Shiradi, please take Charmadi Kottigehara Mudigere Jannapura Hanbal Anemahal Sakleshpur Hassan Bangalore.

The other option would have been Charmadi Kottigehara Mudigere Jannapura Cheeknahalli Belur Hassan Bangalore.

Time wise both would be more or less same but traffic wise the former would have lesser traffic.

Remember that due to closure of Shiradi most good restaurants in Sakleshpur have shut down temporarily and this was experienced by a BHPian 2 weeks before.

Hence Hassan is your best bet for a break for proper hotel. Belur has very limited options and are just about OK.

If you don't mind an early break, Fresh Bean Cafe at Banakal (soon after you get down from Charmadi) would be a good choice.

Then you have few options between Mudigere and Jannapura before you take right for Hanbal and Sakleshpur - Mostly 'Family Dhaba and Restaurant' type.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th May 2018 at 20:57.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2018, 12:34   #7598
BHPian

I would be travelling to Dharmasthala and Mangalore between 19th and 22nd. Plan is to start from Bangalore on 19th morning, reach Dharmasthala by afternoon and overnight stay there. On 20th morning, will be starting to Mangalore and stay there for 2 nights, with the main agenda being beach and Pabbas on both days, both for the sake of my little daughter. Start back to Bangalore on 22nd morning.

Usually, it used to be Shiradi for onward and Charmadi for return. Now that the Shiradi is closed and traffic is more in Charmadi, I would like to know if the traffic is really high enough to avoid this route or can I still stick to this route. Also, as I have traveled this route quite often, can I take any other alternate route, criteria being good roads, scenic, and not much of additional kilometers so as to make the journey more enjoyable? I have visited Pilikula zoo as well in Mangalore. Are there any other must-see (kids friendly) places in Mangalore. I have visited only Panambur beach; any other beach worth a visit?

Another query is, with a little early start from Mangalore on 22nd, can I visit either Sringeri or Hornadu or Madikeri, and the places that can be covered in a short span in case I come via Madikeri?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Raj
Old 16th May 2018, 15:04   #7599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post

Another query is, with a little early start from Mangalore on 22nd, can I visit either Sringeri or Hornadu or Madikeri, and the places that can be covered in a short span in case I come via Madikeri?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Raj
I suggest you to take Mangaluru > Moodubidre > Karkala > Bajagoli > Kudremukha > Kalasa > Horanadu

And next day Horanadu > Kelaguru > Kottigehara > Beluru > Hasana > Bengaluru.

By planning like this you can cover lot of good places.
Day 1:
Day 2:
And if you prefer to visit Sringeri you need to drive from Mangalore > Moodubidri > Karkala > Someshwara > Agumbe > Sringeri > Jayapura > Balehonnuru > Chikkamagaluru > Beluru > Hasana > Bengaluru.

You can refer below vlog if you are planning to visit Agumbe and Sringeri.

Recently
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
had a very pleasant trip to coastal Karnataka. Read his experience here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4395319

Last edited by Samurai : 18th May 2018 at 15:42. Reason: quote fixed
ThilakNex is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 10:08   #7600
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you to take Mangaluru > Moodubidre > Karkala > Bajagoli > Kudremukha > Kalasa > Horanadu

And next day Horanadu > Kelaguru > Kottigehara > Beluru > Hasana > Bengaluru.
Thank you, Thilak.....will stick to Charmadi onward and come back via Kuduremukh route

Best Regards,

Last edited by GTO : 19th May 2018 at 08:50. Reason: quote fixed
Old 18th May 2018, 18:10   #7601
BHPian

I just learnt that Shiradi ghat opens up for all road users from May 22 onward. Can anyone confirm? or has anyone heard any update on this?

I heard this from my bro-in-law who is based in south Kanara and pretty well-informed about the Mangalore-BLR routes.
Old 18th May 2018, 18:39   #7602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoner View Post
I just learnt that Shiradi ghat opens up for all road users from May 22 onward. Can anyone confirm? or has anyone heard any update on this?
Couple of news articles mention about work to be completed by end of May and thrown open to public in June.

Quote:
The concreting work of the 13 kilometre stretch of road between Kempuhole to Addahole in Shiradi Ghat is being done with greater speed and is expected to be complete by the end of May 2018. In all likelihood, the road will be open for traffic in the month of June
Source: Dajjiworld

One more that also says May end.

I think there is a likelyhood that it can happen sooner but mind you, the current state of affairs politically can also hamper the 'official' opening too!

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th May 2018 at 18:40.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 19:38   #7603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Couple of news articles mention about work to be completed by end of May and thrown open to public in June.
By the sloth speed with which they completed the stretch previously, this is too hard to believe that they will complete this by June.

Let's keep up the hopes so that other ghat routes will return back to their old charm with reduced traffic.
ThilakNex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 20:11   #7604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let's keep up the hopes so that other ghat routes will return back to their old charm with reduced traffic.
It is only because of this that I have refrained myself from driving on Charmadi, Kuduremukha or Agumbe this year. They would be best when Shiradi opens and all traffic heads that way.
Old 18th May 2018, 20:49   #7605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can refer below vlog if you are planning to visit Agumbe and Sringeri.
Unmindful of the other discussion thread going on here - those who plan to visit Agumbe must try visiting Kudlu Theertha also (aka 'Sita falls').

We used to ride our motorcycles from Manipal to Agumbe; just at the foothills of Agumbe before the ghat roads start, we'd take a right to Kudlu Theertha. You needed to park your vehicles and take a good 45 minute trek to get to Kudlu theertha.

It is totally worth it. I promise to later on dig out photos from 2009-2011 and upload them here. It's a really tall waterfall and it falls from such a great height that it becomes a spray and there's a perpetual rainbow to be seen.

We used to bathe in the pool that collects at the foot of the falls.

Sigh! I envy all the people who get to live near Udupi or Mangalore. Hell, it's only 8 hours from Bangalore!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks