Team-BHP - The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/91125-art-travelling-between-bangalore-mangalore-udupi-51.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sushrutha (Post 1378537)
Raghu,I was talking purely interms of build quality. I know Shiradi ghats receives more rainfall than Hassan - Belur stretch, and traffic is quite not as shiradi. But why doesn't B.M. Road have that quality of road? The road still(H.Belur Rd) still looks like new, heck even the markings(yellow at the edges, white in middle) haven't gone even after 5+ years of usage.
.@anuj,As I meantioned previously in my post(strech to chikmgalur) is not upto the mark. Only some parts of stretch is good between Belur & Chikmagalur

The Belur-Chikmagalur stretch did have some major bad patches near some culverts, but that has been patched up very well.

The stretch from Hassan to Belur is actually part of a larger project which covers a whole state highway. It starts from Bilikere near Mysore and ends in Tarikere passing Holenarsipur, Hassan, Belur, Chikmagalur & Santaveri (Belur-tarikere stretch was completed long before the Belur-Bilikere stretch). I think I can safely say that this road ranks among the best state highways in the state.

There may be different reasons (as specified by raghu) as to why this road is still in good condition. But still, It has held good all these seasons and I think the quality of work is way better than many other roads the govt has built recently. Probably if BM road was made up to this kind of quality, it would have lasted at least a couple of months if not more.

One of my friend's relatives who was a sub-contractor working on the Hassan-Holenarsipur stretch had told him that there was a severe penalty if the work was found to be shoddy and that fear made them 'eat less' :D (if you know what I mean) and 'use more'.

Udupi/D.K districts are considered the most corrupt in the state. Therefore, here they eat a lot. I have seen roads destroyed in 3 days of pre-monsoon rain. Their skill humbles me.

Gowda79, Shiradi ghats condition went bad all because there was no drainage and it dint last for a month after the work was completed..the firm which carried out that work should be black listed and penalised for the shoddy work.

On shoddy work, we have loads of example in Bangalore too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 1378825)
Gowda79, Shiradi ghats condition went bad all because there was no drainage and it dint last for a month after the work was completed..the firm which carried out that work should be black listed and penalised for the shoddy work.

On shoddy work, we have loads of example in Bangalore too...

This time, I think it was the PWD who did the road work.

This was done during the previous govt's tenure. I believe no contractor came forward to take up the road work in Shiradi Ghats and hence it had to be done by the state PWD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anujmishra (Post 1378525)
At least Raju did show some honesty here making roads and not gulping all money. :D

Yes, some people dont have simply the art of cheating and making money. Raju was one of them.
Nobody bothered to check those who said 'Growth is Life'

Quote:

Originally Posted by addyhemmige (Post 1378921)
This time, I think it was the PWD who did the road work.

This was done during the previous govt's tenure. I believe no contractor came forward to take up the road work in Shiradi Ghats and hence it had to be done by the state PWD.

No, the asphalting work was done by Durga Constructions from Coimbatore. The concreting of critical curves was by Bhandarkar Constructions.

Recently been to Mangalore on 09.07.09.
Started at 5AM from Bangalore. Reached Shiradi by 8.30Am.

Shiradi has become a canvas for our artists.
2 hours of traffic block on shiradi.
Started rolling again by 10.30.

Add to that the 10km before Mangalore. This took another 2 hours.
Overall felt like visiting MOON.

Further NH17 is also gone too bad. Had driven Mangalore Honnavar. Pathetic!!

The canvas for you guys.

laluks, thanks for the update..

Was hoping that the road will hold up for a while, rains have just started and this is the state of the road:(

Next week most probably will drive down to Mlore but road condition is discouraging:(

Hows the Charmadi route?? Mysore route is another option....god we are back to same where we were last year grrrrr

Thanks laluks for the visual update. The Manipal-Udupi roads are in similar state now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 1381032)
laluks, thanks for the update..

Was hoping that the road will hold up for a while, rains have just started and this is the state of the road:(

Next week most probably will drive down to Mlore but road condition is discouraging:(

Hows the Charmadi route?? Mysore route is another option....god we are back to same where we were last year grrrrr

Some guys have come through mysore, madikeri, sullya route. They told me it is ok. They are not very much motor heads, just travellors. So I guess the condition might be mixed, but good enough to travel. Shiradi anybody would have said "what the hell!"

Charmadi - no info.

laluks, actually "SHiradi" was hell couple of years back, remember driving in 1st and 2nd gear all through the ghats in my OHC...but anyways in matter of a week or 2 it will be a nightmare!

btw what caused the jam on the ghat for 2 hours??

And is the road condition btw mlore and kundapura very bad?:(

Last year, the Government spent 40 crores to repair the Shiradi Ghat and this year they spent 3 crores to fill up the pot holes. Both got washed away. This gives an indication of the quality of work. I am sure with the amount that has gone into this stretch during the last 10 years, we could have easily built a road which can withstand 100 tonne trucks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 1381296)
laluks, actually "SHiradi" was hell couple of years back, remember driving in 1st and 2nd gear all through the ghats in my OHC...but anyways in matter of a week or 2 it will be a nightmare!

btw what caused the jam on the ghat for 2 hours??

And is the road condition btw mlore and kundapura very bad?:(

It is a nightmare even now. Some pits are too big that the car completely gets in and out. Now also its 1st 2nd gear business only :D

Oncoming traffic not allowing the others to use the available good space to cross the curves, resultiong in the front guy waiting to get a slot at almost all curves. Add to that falling of trees.

Mangalore to udipi and upwards are horrible. but after 10-15km away from udipi roads becomes ok with doable patches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laluks (Post 1380924)
Recently been to Mangalore on 09.07.09.
Started at 5AM from Bangalore. Reached Shiradi by 8.30Am.

Shiradi has become a canvas for our artists.
The canvas for you guys.

Sad! We travelled these roads just a month back and they were so much better!

A month during monsoon is a long time in Shiradi...
(a rather New Jungle saying, as opposed Old Jungle saying)