Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 19:14   #7636
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I just checked about this restriction with my classmate from Samse. He in turn called his folks and called back to inform that there is no restriction on Entry from both the sides.
+1. I have my relatives settled in kalasa for 50+ years and they keep traveling this section(Karkala <> Kalasa) late nights and early mornings. No restrictions! Its just that you need to stop n report to them at Bajegoli and SK Border.
JMaruru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 16:39   #7637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just checked about this restriction with my classmate from Samse. He in turn called his folks and called back to inform that there is no restriction on Entry from both the sides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
+1. I have my relatives settled in kalasa for 50+ years and they keep traveling this section(Karkala <> Kalasa) late nights and early mornings. No restrictions! Its just that you need to stop n report to them at Bajegoli and SK Border.

A BIG sorry for misleading and Thanks for the update. I stand corrected on this from now on. I was stopped years ago when I was returning late evening from Udupi and was asked to run through Charmadi/ Agumbe. I thought this was still prevailing and so I quoted.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 16:52   #7638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I stand corrected on this from now on.
Absolutely no worries mate. In fact, even as a regular traveler via these routes, I have not done a night drive via Kuduremukha but have done plenty via Charmadi and hence I too wasn't sure but due to my earlier conversation with my friend I knew there was no such restriction.

So last year when a BHPian asked me about any restrictions, even I wasn't sure and had to call up my friend and ask who confirmed in negative. And this time too I checked because you never know how few rules come into place and this one being a road less taken (on this thread ) even if something like that happens, it may not really make it as big news like how Shiradi made it.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 14:34   #7639
BHPian

Today when I checked google map for Bangalore-Mangalore route, it showed the route via Shiradi. Does any one know for sure if Shiradi is open for traffic now?

Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 15:12   #7640
Senior - BHPian

I read somewhere that shiradi road will be open by mid june. Any further updates?

Also curious to know if there is any update on road widening happening between nelyadi to gundya
Old 5th June 2018, 12:54   #7641
BHPian

As per the latest news on Deccan Herald on 29th May, it will be open in 1st week of July. MP Nalin Kateel had inspected and said this. Hope they will keep the date. Already it is a month delay from the publicised date.

I had some hope when I saw the Google map showing the route via Shiradi. Looks like it is false.
Old 5th June 2018, 13:03   #7642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zensure View Post
Today when I checked google map for Bangalore-Mangalore route, it showed the route via Shiradi. Does any one know for sure if Shiradi is open for traffic now?

Thanks

Heard from a friend who runs lorry service between Bangalore-Mangalore that final touches are being given to a bridge near Addahole. The road is open only for locals currently and may be thrown open to public by mid-June.
Old 7th June 2018, 16:15   #7643
BHPian

Hello All,

Request suggestions and options for route from

1. Sringeri to Hornad - Kudremukh / Balehonnur / Internal routes

2. Hornad to Bangalore - Sakleshpur or Belur

Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 16:25   #7644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
1. Sringeri to Hornad - Kudremukh / Balehonnur / Internal routes
The thing with Sringeri - Horanadu is that the shorter route via Shantigrama is not in great condition since many years. No wonder even google shows 1H41M for just 42 Kms whereas the tried and tested route connecting these 2 places via Kuduremukha takes another 30 Minutes more for double the distance!

Hence, if you want to stick to roads which is a regular one traveled by most, you must stick to the Kuduremukha option in my opinion.

Here is someone who did Kalasa Sringeri via Shantigrama and reported as below (Dec '17):

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiler View Post
[*]Sringeri - Kalasa: Took the Shantigrama route. Decent roads with some broken patches, since the drive was during the daytime there was no problem in tacking the bad sections. Took less than 2 hrs.
Quote:
Hornad to Bangalore - Sakleshpur or Belur
Straightforward this : Horanadu - Kalasa - Balur - Kottigehara - Mudigere Hand Post - Jannapura - Hanbal - Anemahal - Sakleshpura.

I would chose this over going via Belur because from Belur onward, you will merge with tourist/weekend traffic from Chikmagalur and etc.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th June 2018 at 16:28.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 20:44   #7645
BHPian

@paragsachania,

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

How is Sringeri-Balehonnur-Hornad compared to Kudremukh option?

How is road quality at Hornad-Mudigere-Sakleshpur section compared to Belur option?
Old 7th June 2018, 20:54   #7646
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
@paragsachania,

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

How is Sringeri-Balehonnur-Hornad compared to Kudremukh option?

How is road quality at Hornad-Mudigere-Sakleshpur section compared to Belur option?
Since I am phone I will keep this short without quoting the 2 bits.

Sringeri Balehonnur has always been good (at least last few years). Not sure on Balehonnur Horanadu. I assume this to be good as well but you can safely pick Kudremukh option between the two.

Horanadu Mudigere Sakaleshpur vs Horanadu Mudigere Belur is same all the way till Jannapura (after Mudigere). It's only here you split based on whether you want to go to Sakaleshpura or Belur and his is just 25+ Kms to both Belur and Sakaleshpura from Jannapura. Road conditions are definitely good in both.

If you were referring to Horanadu Balehonnur Aldur Chikkamagaluru Belur, even that is good.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th June 2018 at 20:56.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 21:04   #7647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post

Thanks for the practical suggestion. I'm actually leaving my office near Kadubeesanahalli by 4 PM and picking up my wife from her workplace at Bommanahalli. Then will take the NICE Road till Yeshwanthpura....

Will post an update on how it goes.

So, I managed to leave from Bommanahalli by 5.30 PM last Friday. Took the NICE road till Tumkur Road exit. It was almost 6.45 PM by the time I exited here, battling heavy rain all along the way. Around 8.15 PM we stopped at VRL Refreshment after Tumkur here.
It was a nice and big place with hardly any crowd and clean toilets, ample parking. From then on it was a non-stop drive through Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Bhadravati - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Manipal. Brilliant roads with manageable traffic. After you turnoff from NH4 (AH47) there is a dearth of roadside places for a rest-stop. It was close to 1AM when I was crossing Agumbe and about just before 2AM when I reached home in Udupi. Total distance ~ 485 Kms. Zero rainfall encountered after Tumkur.

I took the Kudremukha route while returning as suggested by a lot of folks here that there are no timing restrictions. Thanks to paragsachania, unk9ja and JMaruru for the information on this. Started from Udupi around 2.30 PM and took the Manipal - Karkala - Kudremukha - Kottigehara - Belur - Hassan - Nalemangala route.

The Kudremukha ghat section is longer and curvier than the Agumbe section. There was quite a bit of traffic since it was Sunday evening. I noticed one accident on the ghats between an Ertiga and a hatchback. Looked like a case of carelessness on a blind left turn from the hatchback (my side of the road). Be sure to honk at blind turns, which are aplenty on this route. It was 6 PM when I reached Kottigehara where we stopped for almost an hour for food (packed and carried from home ) and Tea.

From here till Hassan, it was a drive with a lot of curvy roads and heavier traffic. Crossed Hassan just before 9PM and the tolled highway was a welcome.

Just a small thing to note here - on the way from Belur to Hassan, Google will take you via the Hassan bypass (opposite from Hassan for a short distance) and then ask you to take a left to join the main highway. This left turn looked almost too narrow to take. Just go a little bit further and you'll find a proper junction which joins the main highway. This is preferable especially during night.

From here on it was a quick drive till home near Domlur where we reached by 11.45 PM.

The route suggestions from all you folks really made for a reassured drive
Sangre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 21:32   #7648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The thing with Sringeri - Horanadu is that the shorter route and etc.
All the way from karkala till kalsa the roads are in good shape, however with rains it may get bad.....
Old 7th June 2018, 23:27   #7649
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post

Just a small thing to note here - on the way from Belur to Hassan, Google will take you via the Hassan bypass (opposite from Hassan for a short distance) and then ask you to take a left to join the main highway. This left turn looked almost too narrow to take. Just go a little bit further and you'll find a proper junction which joins the main highway. This is preferable especially during night.
Specifically about belur <--> hassan stretch :

1) How is the road surface ? Last time I drove in the dusk, I found the potholes mind-numbing, especially after the beautiful mudigere to belur stretch on one side and the 4L section on the other side

2) What about the suddenly appearing central dividers, do they now have reflectors stuck on them ?

3) how about unmarked humps ?
Old 8th June 2018, 05:43   #7650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
All the way from karkala till kalsa the roads are in good shape, however with rains it may get bad.
Lohit, aware or Kalasa Kuduremukha Karkala.

The section discussed here is the shorter route that connects Horanadu and Sringeri via Shantigrama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Specifically about belur <--> hassan stretch :

1) How is the road surface ? Last time I drove in the dusk, I found the potholes mind-numbing, especially after the beautiful mudigere to belur stretch on one side and the 4L section on the other side

2) What about the suddenly appearing central dividers, do they now have reflectors stuck on them ?

3) how about unmarked humps ?
I missed reading this earlier and responsed to the next one.

1. The road surface in Belur taluk was good and Hassan was bad. Now even that is addressed and the entire surface is good.

2. Central dividers exist. Few have reflectors and few done. Caution advised. This is a badly designed road that way and same is the story from Hassan to Elwala (Mysore) too as this road ends there.

3. Most of them are marked but if you are tailing traffic irresponsibly, you are most likely to brake at the last moment.

Last edited by ampere : 8th June 2018 at 06:57. Reason: back to back posts merged
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks