Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2018, 14:54   #7756
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
More good news for those taking Charmadi
This news coming to someone like me at the right time. I am planning to drive down to Mangalore during August mid and was contemplating until today which route to opt for. Without any doubt i will go via Shiradi ghat (the best and shortest route to reach Mangalore). Thanks for sharing this news
Old 2nd August 2018, 15:20   #7757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
This news coming to someone like me at the right time. I am planning to drive down to Mangalore during August mid and was contemplating until today which route to opt for. Without any doubt i will go via Shiradi ghat (the best and shortest route to reach Mangalore). Thanks for sharing this news
Shiradi was thrown open for LMVs at least 2 weeks before. From today they are allowing heavy vehicles also .
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 12:38   #7758
Senior - BHPian

Drove again on Shiradi ghat over the weekend. The ghat roads are good and most of the work is complete barring few places. Anybody travelling to Puttur/Kasargod can consider taking Gundya-Subrahmanya-Kaniyoor route. The roads after Gundya is not in great shape as road widening work is in progress. Local traffic makes things worse.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 22:09   #7759
MCR
BHPian

Drove on the Shiradi Ghat road this weekend. The Ghat road is just awesome, thanks to the concreting work. The nature is beautiful too, thanks to the rain.
The roads after Gundya towards Mangalore is a mess in few places, thanks to the 4 laning work.

The road from Holenarsipur to Hassan is full of craters. Mysore to Holenarsipur is good.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 17:33   #7760
BHPian

Hi All - Have planned Bangalore - Sringeri - Dharmastala - Kukke Subrahmanya - Bangalore trip during coming weekend.

Planning to leave at 5pm on Thursday and based on the mood will stop overnight either at Hassan (Mallige Residency) or Chikkamagalur. Please suggest decent hotel in Chikkamagalur for stay.

Friday night stay will be in Dharmastala and Saturday will be in Kukke.

Suggest me the best route for Dharmastala - Kukke. Should I take via Gundya or Kadaba?

And - Planning to take Shiradi for Kukke - Bangalore.

Shall update my experience next week after the trip
Old 9th August 2018, 23:38   #7761
BHPian

There's been very heavy rain in the Malnad region.
Kannada news channels are reporting
- Part of Sampaje ghat road has caved in. The DC has ordered vehicles to be barred (not sure if thats only heavy vehicles or smaller vehicles also) on NH 275 on Sampaje till Sept

- Overflowing streams near Addahole, causing kilometer long traffic jams, although this is probably a temporary phenomenon

- Bridge on the road between Kalasa and Horanadu is under water, for a record 10th time in the past one month

Watch out for news on local channels if traveling on this stretch.

Last edited by perty : 9th August 2018 at 23:40.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 11:54   #7762
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive through Sullya Madikeri Mysore Bangalore this afternoon. Any update on road condition please? Is it okay to drive?
Old 13th August 2018, 10:01   #7763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Planning to drive through Sullya Madikeri Mysore Bangalore this afternoon. Any update on road condition please? Is it okay to drive?
Okay, let me update myself. Traveled yesterday evening. The road is open for traffic including heavy vehicles. Only at two places- the ghat section before reaching Madikeri, the land has slid down to the gorge down. Traffic is allowed on only one lane at that short stretch.
Old 14th August 2018, 16:44   #7764
Senior - BHPian

Shiradi ghat was blocked today due to land slide. I don't have info for how long though.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 20:58   #7765
BHPian

Have to leave for Bangalore from Mangalore tomorrow morning. How is the situation at Shiradi?

Got a suggestion from someone to take Bisle Ghat instead of Shiradi by taking the Subramanya route and reach Sakleshpur. But it could be a gamble as the roads are narrow in this route and the whole load of traffic might get diverted to the same route if Shiradi is out of bounds.
k88k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 21:21   #7766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
Have to leave for Bangalore from Mangalore tomorrow morning. How is the situation at Shiradi?
Difficult choice.

Going by the reports in local media, even Charmadi is a gamble. Shiradi is being monitored round the clock and grapevine has it that orders have been issued to clear all obstacles on this route on a war footing.
Old 14th August 2018, 22:03   #7767
BHPian

Quote:
More info here http://www.daijiworld.com/news/newsD...?newsID=523847

Quote:
As per the latest report, landslides have yet again occurred at two hills at different areas.

It is learnt that landslide has taken place in approximately five places downwards from Kempuhalla and efforts are being made on priority to clear the same. The people who are stuck on the ghat since the night of Monday, August 13 cannot even communicate with others as the network is not available.
Coming to Bisle ghat, as far as I know it is closed for traffic as road is dugged up from Subramanya side so better double check with the locals and decide.

Looking at the current situation with Madikeri-Mangalore route closed due to landslide, frequent land slides in Shiradi , Charmadi is only route which I haven`t heard of any blockades. However I just talked to one of the friendly private bus driver who is frequent in Bangalore-Mangalore route, he said shiradi is again blocked at 8pm and clearing the mud is underway.

So looking at the fury of rain god and current condition of the stretch it is recommended to avoid travelling to Mangalore if you can.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 14th August 2018 at 22:04.
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 23:21   #7768
BHPian

Quote:
Shiradi is still blocked. There was a landslip which happened on a KSRTC bus, which collided with another KSRTC bus and narrowly missed taking both of them down the precipice.
Reports of 10km long traffic jam with people stuck in the rain and cold.
It might take a long while to clear, provided there is no further landslip again.
Better to avoid Shiradi. Check with KSRTC bus drivers as they have apparently been guided to alternate routes.

Last edited by perty : 14th August 2018 at 23:33.
perty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 10:42   #7769
BHPian

Kannada news channels are reporting that the Dakshina Kannada District Commissioner has ordered Shiradi ghat road to be closed until the situation eases and for repairs. Will post more details as I hear it.

Folks going towards Malnad / coastal areas please get first hand information from locals on the situation in all ghat routes.

Also saw that the Sampaje route is also officially closed indefinitely.

Bisile Ghat is also blocked due to fallen trees. Charmadi is still open*

* All according to news reports

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th August 2018 at 11:30. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Sangre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 14:42   #7770
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a query for an acquaintance who has to visit Shantivana near Ujire next week to undergo a nature cure treatment course.

What would be the best route to reach the place given that Shiradi ghat is closed due to landslides ?

Most Viewed