Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2018, 13:01   #7876
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I am visiting the Western Ghat after a long time and have no idea about the road conditions. Any suggestion regarding the road conditions and things to be aware off is welcome
Bangalore - Chikmagalur is top class road. Though Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur is 2 lanes, it is of good quality and nice to drive. Hassan- Belur stretch is also recently asphalted. Chikmagalur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri is with curves and in between forest and estates. Slows you down a bit but road conditions are great.

Sringeri -Begar - Agumbe is nice stretch again curvy. Agumbe ghat is in good state and is always fun to pass through. No need to explain more about this ghat, until you reach Someshwara.
Someshwara - Hebri - Udupi is in good condition and easy drive.

Udupi -Kundapur - Kollur is again in good condition. 4 lane works here and there but nice to drive. Just be alerted about rocket speed private buses. You may visit Maravante in between this stretch, so that you need not head back south again.

Kollur - Bhatkal - Murudeshwara - Excellent condition again.

Murudeshwara - Honnavar - Jog is in good condition but ghat section with curves after Upponi.

Jogfalls - Bangalore via Ranebennur is fantastic. Good route to take while returning.

Have a safe trip and Happy journey!
SharathScorp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 13:24   #7877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
Sringeri -Begar - Agumbe is nice stretch again curvy. Agumbe ghat is in good state and is always fun to pass through. No need to explain more about this ghat, until you reach Someshwara.
Someshwara - Hebri - Udupi is in good condition and easy drive.
Yes, I love to drive through Agumbe ghat, a nippy stretch!
Old 8th October 2018, 16:54   #7878
BHPian

Hello Team,

We are planning to visit the north Karnataka coastal stretch between Oct 16- Oct 20, 2018. Need some advice on the places to visit. It will be a leisure tour as I have a small 3.6 Yr lady who is obsessed with Sand and Water (Sea Shores). We will be driving down from Bangalore in my beloved Scross.
We would need to be there at Udupi on 19th as we will be joined by one of our close friends. We have the week till 20th to go around.

Below mentioned is the Hotel Bookings:
1. 15 Oct 2018 - Madikere -- Kasaragod --- Mangaluru [Hotel Booked in Mangaluru]
2. 16 Oct 2018 -
3. 17 Oct 2018 - Hotel booked in Udupi.
4. 18 Oct 2018 -
5. 19 Oct 2018 - Udupi and Around
6. 20 Oct 2018 - Afternoon [Udupi -- Sidapur -- Bangalore]

The following are the Places which I found from the internet and our site still craving for more from our fellow group members:
a. Kudroli Gokarnath Temple
b. Kateel Shri Durgaparameshwari Temple
c. Someshwara Temple
d. Tannirbhavi Beach
e. Surathkal Beach
f. Malpe, St Mary Island, Light house (Kaup Beach)

Also please let us know if there is something like a 1 day cruise. I can give it a try in case the expenses are within my limits.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited by Arindam_Nayek : 8th October 2018 at 16:57.
Old 8th October 2018, 17:01   #7879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
Have a safe trip and Happy journey!
Thanks a lot for the update, gives me the confidence

Regards
Old 8th October 2018, 17:30   #7880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
Hello Team,

We are planning to visit the north Karnataka coastal stretch between Oct 16- Oct 20, 2018. Need some advice on the places to visit. It will be a leisure tour as I have a small 3.6 Yr lady who is obsessed with Sand and Water (Sea Shores). We will be driving down from Bangalore in my beloved Scross.
We would need to be there at Udupi on 19th as we will be joined by one of our close friends. We have the week till 20th to go around.

1. 15 Oct 2018 - Madikere -- Kasaragod --- Mangaluru [Hotel Booked in Mangaluru]
2. 16 Oct 2018 -
4. 18 Oct 2018 -
Where are you starting from? Road from Madikeri to Mangaluru is probably closed. Kasargod is down south and I presume you added since you wanted to visit Bekal Fort. If so you, you can take Uppinangadi-Puttur-Kasargod Route and then hit Mangalore.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 18:14   #7881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Where are you starting from? Road from Madikeri to Mangaluru is probably closed. Kasargod is down south and I presume you added since you wanted to visit Bekal Fort. If so you, you can take Uppinangadi-Puttur-Kasargod Route and then hit Mangalore.
Thank you @PrideRed.
I have some work in Sidapura, so will start from there.
My friend is a local so will check the best possible route available and yes you were right wanted to visit the Bekal fort.
Old 8th October 2018, 19:31   #7882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
more from our fellow group members
Most of the well known tourist spots will be crawling with people given the long weekend. Would suggest you try and find relatively unknown spots along the coast.

1. Kapu lighthouse beach is definitely going to be crawling with people. Instead you could check out yard beach, which is just a few kms ahead and should only have a few locals there.

2. If you plan to go to st mary's, then drive up the coast road and hit Kodi bengare. check out this suspension bridge - https://goo.gl/maps/6q9kEvHpg942

3. Drive along the beach road from kapu to malpe
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 19:45   #7883
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team,

2. 16 Oct 2018 -
4. 18 Oct 2018 -

The following are the Places which I found from the internet and our site still craving for more from our fellow group members:
a. Kudroli Gokarnath Temple
b. Kateel Shri Durgaparameshwari Temple
c. Someshwara Temple
d. Tannirbhavi Beach
e. Surathkal Beach
f. Malpe, St Mary Island, Light house (Kaup Beach)

Also please let us know if there is something like a 1 day cruise. I can give it a try in case the expenses are within my limits.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Krishna Temple is not in your list.It would be a boat ride from Malpe to St Mary's island. if you prefer to visit a estuary, try Delta beach (Bengre beach), Udupi, . You can check http://www.panchajanyacruise.com/packages.php or https://thirumalacruise.com/packages/ for cruise details.
roshanjathanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 22:56   #7884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Road from Madikeri to Mangaluru is probably closed.
Anyone has a confirmation on the status of this road?
Old 15th October 2018, 14:01   #7885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I have planned a trip with family (2 Kids and Wife) starting tomorrow as follows. The plan is start at 7 AM in the morning -

9th - Bangalore to Udupi via Hassan, Chikamagalur, Balehonnur and Sringeri. I will be visiting the Sringeri Temple and proceeding towards Udupi. We will be staying at Udupi
10th - Local Udupi Visits
11th - Kollur Temple - Maravanthe and return to Udupi
12th - Murudeshwara and Jog Falls. We will be staying near Jog Falls
13th - Visit places close to Jog Falls
14th - Return to Bangalore from Jog Falls via Soraba, Ranebennur, Davanagere, Tumkur and Bangalore.

I am visiting the Western Ghat after a long time and have no idea about the road conditions. Any suggestion regarding the road conditions and things to be aware off is welcome

I will be driving Duster and will avoid night drive as mush as possible.

Regards
Successfully completed the Trip with Family as planned. Had a pleasant and relaxed drive through out except while returning as I got closer to Bangalore -

Bangalore to Sringeri - Excellent road condition up to Chikamagalur. The road from Chikamagalur to Aldur has lot of pot holes and slows you down. Road from Aldur to Sringeri is in good condition

Sringeri to Udupi/Malpe - The roads are in good condition, except for the hairpin curves on the Agumbe Ghat.

Udupi to kollur - Its 6 lane road till Kundapura. The road widening in Kundapura itself is till in progress and hence a single lane all the way till Hemmadi deviation to Kollur. The road are in excellent conditions there after till Kollur

Udupi - Honnavar - The road widening is in full swing from Kundapura all the way till Honnavar. Though the roads are in good condition, its lot of work in progress, deviations, single roads, contraflow lanes, construction vehicles which has to be negotiated.

Honnavar to Jog Falls - Good road except for the ghat section after Gersoppa.

Jog Falls to Bangalore via Sagar/Shivamogga and Gubbi - Had originally planned to return via Ranebennur and Chitradurga, but a last minute plan to visit my sister in Gubbi changed the route. Jog Falls to Shivamogga road is in good condition and the road from Shivamogga to Gubbi has lot of pot holes.

Gubbi to Bangalore was stuck in weekend evening traffic and the road conditions din't matter any more.

Thanks for all the advise.
chandrda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 20:42   #7886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Anyone has a confirmation on the status of this road?
This road is open for small vehicles. We took the road on 15th Oct. Though there are some places where road repairs are on. I can say majority 85% of the road is in very good condition.
Old 16th October 2018, 21:15   #7887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanjathanna View Post
Krishna Temple is not in your list.It would be a boat ride from Malpe to St Mary's island. if you prefer to visit a estuary, try Delta beach (Bengre beach), Udupi, . You can check http://www.panchajanyacruise.com/packages.php or https://thirumalacruise.com/packages/ for cruise details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Most of the well known tourist spots will be crawling with people given the long weekend. Would suggest you try and find relatively unknown spots along the coast.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions have tuned my plans accordingly, I missed to mention the Krishna Matha that is in top of my list. For the Cruise I have fond memories of houseboats of Alappuzha so I will skip this costly affair this time.

Now I need to plan the exit route from Udupi to Bangalore. Planning to start on Sat Afternoon with a halt midway. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Arindam_Nayek : 16th October 2018 at 21:23. Reason: More info
Arindam_Nayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 09:26   #7888
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions have tuned my plans accordingly, I missed to mention the Krishna Matha that is in top of my list. For the Cruise I have fond memories of houseboats of Alappuzha so I will skip this costly affair this time.

Now I need to plan the exit route from Udupi to Bangalore. Planning to start on Sat Afternoon with a halt midway. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
if you leave Udupi around 1 pm , you can reach Bangalore around 10 pm. If you want to stay en route, Sakleshpur would be the best place.
roshanjathanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 15:07   #7889
BHPian

Hi Guys, my office team outing is happening on 26th Oct. The plan is to stay overnight in Hassan and than move on to Malpe/Udupi in a 35 seater Bus. Which route do you suggest for an early morning start from Hassan ( ~6am)? I was wondering if the Shiradi Ghat is functioning now OR charmadi could be my best bet? There is also an idea floating for taking the route via Kudremukh.
Old 19th October 2018, 04:42   #7890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Hi Guys, my office team outing is happening on 26th Oct. The plan is to stay overnight in Hassan and than move on to Malpe/Udupi in a 35 seater Bus. Which route do you suggest for an early morning start from Hassan ( ~6am)? I was wondering if the Shiradi Ghat is functioning now OR charmadi could be my best bet? There is also an idea floating for taking the route via Kudremukh.
I guess you can do the Bangalore-Udupi in a single stretch when driven by a professional driver!
Shiradi ghat is open right now, I herd a few days back that it was open for all light vehicular traffic, I'm assuming it must be open for all traffic by now. When leaving early from Hassan, you can go via Kudremukha - Sringeri - Agumbe as well, very beautiful and scenic route, must be all green post this monsoon and you should enjoy the ride! Charmadi is an option too, it may have mixed conditions of roads post the kind of monsoon we just had. I'd prefer via Kudremukha - Agumbe if have I have enough time on hand.

I'm planning to ride to Kodi Bengre in another couple hours, may just take usual Shiradi route while I have some limitation in terms of time (moreover, I'm not going to be able to ride at the same speed I drive) I have to reach the destination. I'm hoping to see Shiradi ghat in good condition except a few kms post Gundya where I heard the road widening work was going on! I shall be able to report some information if I end up taking that route. Have a great outing!
Ketan is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks