Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2018, 13:46   #7906
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Bangalore - Sakleshpur - Mangalore
Is it throughout 4/6 lane now, except the ghat section?
  • Peenya - Nelamangala - 6 Lane
  • Nelamangala - CR Patna Bypass start - 4 Lane
  • CR Patna Bypass - 2 Lane
  • CR Patna - Hassan Bypass Start - 4 Lane
  • Hassan Bypass - 2 Lane
  • Hassan Bypass end - Sakaleshpur - 4 Lane work in progress
  • Sakaleshpur - Donigal - Gundya - BC Road - 2 Lane
  • BC Road - Mangalore (Pumpwell) - 4 Lane
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 15:00   #7907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Hello, I am going to drive to Murdeshwar in November, the Diwali week. Request expert advice on the route to take. My desire is to be on the fastest route that has good quality tarmac. Thank you in advance.
You have two routes to choose from which are almost of same distance:

1. Blr - Haveri - Hanagal - Sirsi - Kumta - Murudeshwara: Best thing about this route is: Till Haveri it is breeze (though Blr-Tumkur is bit heavy traffic). Beyond Haveri it is good road with quality asphalt. Some bad patches in between Sirsi - Murudeshwara

2. Blr - Hassan - Mangaluru - Udupi - Bhatkala - Murudeshwara: Scenic than the other option. Super quality tarmac till Murudeshwara assured.

Have a safe drive and happy time! Hoping to see your update on road conditions and your trip after you return.
SharathScorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 08:46   #7908
BHPian

I am planning to go from Bangalore to Mangalore via Dharmasthala. Can someone pls advice a good road route. Thanks.
Old 1st November 2018, 10:30   #7909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I think they met just after Ossoor Hotel in Sakleshwar. Was yours a white Abarth?

Route Update:

Just took the Shiradi ghats road to Mangalore, no issues at all. 4 lane work going on at a lot of places so need to be a little careful but no issues with road surface. Reached Mangalore in 6 hrs driving time.
Wow BLR - MLR in 6 hrs?. Is that even possible? What speed were you doing?
BigWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 11:59   #7910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
Super quality tarmac till Murudeshwara assured.
Has the 4Laning completed till Murudeshwara. When I was there earlier this year, it took me 2 hours to drive 70 kms from Kundapura to Murudeshwara because 4Laning was WIP.
Old 1st November 2018, 12:38   #7911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Has the 4Laning completed till Murudeshwara. When I was there earlier this year, it took me 2 hours to drive 70 kms from Kundapura to Murudeshwara because 4Laning was WIP.
I stand corrected. Yes, Beyond Kundapura 4L work is still in progress. But need not slow down too much as one side road is newly bedded. Shifting the line surely slows down a bit !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheels View Post
I am planning to go from Bangalore to Mangalore via Dharmasthala. Can someone pls advice a good road route. Thanks.
Blr - Hassan - Sakaleshpur - Gundya - Kokkada - Dharmasthala

Dharmasthala - Ujire - Belthangady - Bantwala - Mangaluru (you have other options too ) but road conditions, distance and time is almost same.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd November 2018 at 10:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged
SharathScorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:37   #7912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Right. So you either choose Murudeshwar or Kukke and Dharmasthala.

The roads leading to Murudeshwara will be mostly straight, 4 lane nearly till Maravanthe and under expansion beyond that. This is a very scenic route, hugging the west coast at many places and some good beaches too.

Mangalore - BC Road - Guruvayanakere - Belthangady - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Aithoor - Kukke

In this, your only concern should be the road connecting Kukke from the intersection of Mangalore - Bangalore highway. Due to rains in last few weeks, this was not in great shape. However, with dry spell over he last 2 weeks, things should have improved.

Between the 2 (Murudeshwara & Dharmasthala/Kukke), the former will be a temple, mostly good roads and beaches and backwaters here and there. You will also pass Udupi and Kundapura if you did Murudeshwara.

While with the latter, it will strictly be a temple run and winding roads all the way.

So choosing between the two really depends on what you want - Purely temple run or some good places (Beaches/Food) to club with it.

I am going from bangalore to mangalore and would like halt at kukke and dharmastala on the way. I know that for kukke i will need to take a left from Gundya. The from Kukke to Dharmastala, I was advised by a taxi driver not to take the Aithoor route and instead to come back to Gundya and then go to Dharmasthala. Any suggestions in this regard. Are the roads from Kukke to Dharmastala via Aithoor good/Bad?
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:55   #7913
BHPian

Quote:
I am going from bangalore to mangalore and would like halt at kukke and dharmastala on the way. I know that for kukke i will need to take a left from Gundya. The from Kukke to Dharmastala, I was advised by a taxi driver not to take the Aithoor route and instead to come back to Gundya and then go to Dharmasthala. Any suggestions in this regard. Are the roads from Kukke to Dharmastala via Aithoor good/Bad?
I took Aithoor-Subramanya road last January and I agree with his suggestion. Aithoor - Ichlampady- periyashanti is single carriage narrow road and in some places road is not wide enough for two cars to pass at the same time. Add to that road edges are too deep and you need to watch out if you driving a low slung car. There were news about strengthening of road edges by laying fresh layer of mud with boulders but I haven`t heard about progress made on that. So I would recommend you to stick with defacto route ie via Gundya-Periyashanti-Kokkada.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 2nd November 2018 at 09:03.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:58   #7914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Hello, I am going to drive to Murdeshwar in November, the Diwali week. Request expert advice on the route to take. My desire is to be on the fastest route that has good quality tarmac. Thank you in advance.
Route No.1 mentioned by SharthaScorp below will be the fastest route. I drove on this route right upto Murudeshwar in October.
  • Upto Haveri the NH is smooth sailing. Left turn off from the highway at Haveri is tricky!
  • Haveri to Hangal is a newly laid road. A few continuous speed breakers which were troublesome earlier have worn down quite a lot.
  • Hangal to Sirsi has some bad patches as you near Sirsi. The last 7 to 8 kms to Sirsi were particularly bad. If you are lucky, it might have been patched up as the rains have gone.
  • Sirsi to Kumta has some bad patches in the ghat. But overall road is good, nothing to worry.
  • Kumta - Honnavar - Murudeshwar are good with incomplete/ stalled 4 laning work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharathScorp View Post
You have two routes to choose from which are almost of same distance:

1. Blr - Haveri - Hanagal - Sirsi - Kumta - Murudeshwara: Best thing about this route is: Till Haveri it is breeze (though Blr-Tumkur is bit heavy traffic). Beyond Haveri it is good road with quality asphalt. Some bad patches in between Sirsi - Murudeshwara

2. Blr - Hassan - Mangaluru - Udupi - Bhatkala - Murudeshwara: Scenic than the other option. Super quality tarmac till Murudeshwara assured.

Have a safe drive and happy time! Hoping to see your update on road conditions and your trip after you return.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:59   #7915
BHPian

Quote:
I am going from bangalore to mangalore and would like halt at kukke and dharmastala on the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I took Aithoor-Subramanya road last January and I agree with his suggestion.
I travelled in that route yesterday while going from to Kukke to Sowthadka and Dharmasthala. Roads aren't that bad except for some stretches where there are a lot of potholes. But yes, like DragonHawk said roads are narrow and will need to exercise caution while taking turns in this route. Also, I can recall at least two small bridges without side walls over some streams. And, a quick search on Google maps now tells me the advantage it offers over the Gundya route is only 7min and 7kms.

P.S: I also saw a maroon Grand i10 with number 7**5 and LTD sticker on the rear bumper in the same road.
LazyGunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:05   #7916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
I travelled in that route yesterday while going from to Kukke to Sowthadka and Dharmasthala. Roads aren't that bad except for some stretches where there are a lot of potholes. But yes, like DragonHawk said roads are narrow and will need to exercise caution while taking turns in this route. Also, I can recall at least two small bridges without side walls over some streams. And, a quick search on Google maps now tells me the advantage it offers over the Gundya route is only 7min and 7kms.

P.S: I also saw a maroon Grand i10 with number 7**5 and LTD sticker on the rear bumper in the same road.
Thanks for that. Then probably best if i went back to Gundya and go to Dharmasthala as mentioned by Dragnhawk.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:20   #7917
BHPian

Quote:
  • Peenya - Nelamangala - 6 Lane
  • Nelamangala - CR Patna Bypass start - 4 Lane
  • CR Patna Bypass - 2 Lane
  • CR Patna - Hassan Bypass Start - 4 Lane
  • Hassan Bypass - 2 Lane
  • Hassan Bypass end - Sakaleshpur - 4 Lane work in progress
  • Sakaleshpur - Donigal - Gundya - BC Road - 2 Lane
  • BC Road - Mangalore (Pumpwell) - 4 Lane
I plan to drive down next week and would be taking Nelamangala > Hassan > Sakalespur > BC Road > Mlore.

Quick query , is FastTag enabled all thorough and what is the rough Toll amount from Bangalore ?
Asking so that I can re-charge with the right amount and dont get stuck with low balance.

Old 2nd November 2018, 11:23   #7918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Quick query , is FastTag enabled all thorough and what is the rough Toll amount from Bangalore ?
Yes. At least NBTL, Devihalli, Bellur Cross, Hirisave and Stantigrama tolls are.

I am not sure if the one after BC Road is enabled though.
Quote:
Asking so that I can re-charge with the right amount and dont get stuck with low balance.
Best would be to recharge at least 500-600 for a round trip to be on the safer side.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:31   #7919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow BLR - MLR in 6 hrs?. Is that even possible? What speed were you doing?
I wasnt doing insane speeds as from Hassan the roads are single laned and Ghats also starts. The secret was only a single stop for breakfast and no stops in between.

Will be doing this route again next week with friends and family. Hope the conditions are same.

Quote:
Yes. At least NBTL, Devihalli, Bellur Cross, Hirisave and Stantigrama tolls are.

Best would be to recharge at least 500-600 for a round trip to be on the safer side.
The one after BC road I am not sure its highway toll because looks more local to me, even the slip given is non-computerised.

Last edited by motomaverick : 2nd November 2018 at 11:35.
Old 2nd November 2018, 11:40   #7920
BHPian

Quote:
Fasttag is available at this toll. They have manual scanner to read the tag.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed