Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 17:28   #781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Charmadi might have choked to landslides(Though I don't have concerete information), it's raining like anything there.
My option as of now to travel towards Mangalore is BLR-HASSAN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-KOTTIGEHARA-KALASA-KARKALA-PADUBIDRE-MLR
Even Sringeri route is submerged (ref today's Deccan Herald)
. I recently saw some news about Charmadi in some website (i forgot the name). It seems they are widening the roads by cutting into the mountain and strengthening the bridges. Not sure how true it is though.

The best route to Mangalore would be via Hsn-Mudigere-Kudremukh-Karkala. The roads are in good condition except for a few kms between Kottigehara & Kalasa.

@sushrutha, Where exactly is the route submerged?
Old 17th July 2009, 17:57   #782
Senior - BHPian

addy, i think the road connecting to Sringeri is submerged...link to Mlore from Kudremukha should be fine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
. I recently saw some news about Charmadi in some website (i forgot the name). It seems they are widening the roads by cutting into the mountain and strengthening the bridges. Not sure how true it is though.

The best route to Mangalore would be via Hsn-Mudigere-Kudremukh-Karkala. The roads are in good condition except for a few kms between Kottigehara & Kalasa.

@sushrutha, Where exactly is the route submerged?
Old 17th July 2009, 18:43   #783
Senior - BHPian

Today one of my Relative drove to Udupi(Hasan-belur-chickmaglur-aldur-sringeri-agumbe-udupi) and said the road was great except some stretch near sringeri and agumbe ghat.

I am starting tomorrow morning and Until now i was thinking of shiradi. Now i am giving it a serious thought because of the truck traffic. Is it so horrible ?

any latest news ? how bad would be the traffic jam ?
Old 17th July 2009, 18:46   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The advice I got from a local - DO NOT! As simple as that.
This info is for which route ? I guess you are mentioning about Charmadi
Old 17th July 2009, 18:48   #785
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The advice I got from a local - DO NOT! As simple as that.
For some reason, I am reminded of this scene from Ace Ventura - Pet Detective.

Do Not Go In There...!
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-untitled.jpg

Watch from 1:00 in this video:
Old 20th July 2009, 15:44   #786
BHPian

Any latest update on the road conditions to Mangalore from Bangalore?
Old 20th July 2009, 20:59   #787
BHPian

Drove back to B'lore via Madikeri. The fun part was getting to drive through thick mist, which was a first-time experience. Madikeri to Bylukoppa is not good for a hatch at this time, as the mud has turned into slush and it's hard deciding which crater to drive into. Anyways, not as bad as Shiradi in any case.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:09   #788
Senior - BHPian

Guys i am back from my trip to Udupi yesterday

While going i took the Shiradi route(NH48) and i feel the road is holding up well(keep your eyes open and avoid waterfilled craters as they might be pretty deep)

Another problems are the mud slides(couple of places) and fallen trees(3-4 places) but luckily it happened previous night and some gentlemen had already cleared it

I Started early at 4:30 and manage to climb down Shiradi by 9:45 in the morning. To my bad luck there was a huge traffic jam running few KMs (Which is what i was very skeptical) and it was due to partial flooding of the road due to rains

There were these truckers and Tankers on both side of the road and from both sides as well and it was a total mess

Luckily the rains had stopped and water was receding so managed to drive through the water filled stretch and escape from the mess(as per some peoples version the water was 4 feet deep and trucks were stuck in water, but luckily it turned out to be abt 1 feet only,as the water levels had dropped by the time i had to cross) Still saw a dozen Omni's breaking down due to water in spark plug

Overall i feel the roads are good but it is the heavy traffic that makes this road unpredictable(i spent 2 hrs in traffic) so better to avoid or try your luck

While returning i took the Agumbe-sringeri-jayapura-balehonnur-aldur-chikmaglur-belur-hasan-bangy route and the road is great(just few km of bad stretch but can be done fast) and very very scenic

For those travelling to Udupi side i recommend this anyday
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:22   #789
Senior - BHPian

Raj, good to know shiradi is still in shape but the traffic jam bothers me

The truck traffic has multiplied over the years and this is what causing so much of issue..

Here are few pics taken by my bro while he was driving down to Mlore from Shimoga and all the pics are taken around Agumbe..

apparently all the pics where taken around 12ish and the fog is so strong, i wonder how it would be in the early mornings and during the nights...
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-fog1.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-fog2.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-fog3.jpg  

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-fog4.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2009, 11:36   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

To my bad luck there was a huge traffic jam running few KMs (Which is what i was very skeptical) and it was due to partial flooding of the road due to rains

While returning i took the Agumbe-sringeri-jayapura-balehonnur-aldur-chikmaglur-belur-hasan-bangy route and the road is great(just few km of bad stretch but can be done fast) and very very scenic

For those travelling to Udupi side i recommend this anyday
Flooding???? in Shiradi??? All these years, I have never heard traffic being blocked due to flooding of the roads in Shiradi. Of course there are traffic jams, but none that I know are caused from flooding.

I was expecting the flooding to happen, but only after Mr whatsisname's govt bypasses all environmental clearances and builds a hydel project right in the middle of a pristine rainforest.

Can you specify where exactly the flooding happened?

Yup, I agree on the return route. I would any day recommend the route via Agumbe & chikmaglur for people coming from Udupi side.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:48   #791
Senior - BHPian

addy, is that hydel project still on or stuck? i hate people playing with the nature grrrrrrrr
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:18   #792
Senior - BHPian

Addy:
Well I was suppose to take a diversion towards dharmastala and this happened abt 10-15km before near Gundya in two places. One of the places had about a feet of water in other place the water had receded towards one corner so one lane of traffic could pass with the help of Cops who luckily reached by that time

My father was saying this is something new and doesn't happen usually(Uppinangadi is a different story) but i wasn't going till there
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:05   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
addy, is that hydel project still on or stuck? i hate people playing with the nature grrrrrrrr
From what I have read, the central government has advised the state to get environmental clearances before it goes ahead with the project (instead of shelving the project).

But, it may just be a matter of time before it will be cleared. It will not take much of their effort to get 'Zero Environment damage' certificate for the project and it will start soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Addy:
Well I was suppose to take a diversion towards dharmastala and this happened abt 10-15km before near Gundya in two places. One of the places had about a feet of water in other place the water had receded towards one corner so one lane of traffic could pass with the help of Cops who luckily reached by that time

My father was saying this is something new and doesn't happen usually(Uppinangadi is a different story) but i wasn't going till there
So, this must be after you get down from the ghats near Shiradi village, right??
I had never even dreamed that there were places on the NH48 where it would come under water.
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:57   #794
BHPian

Shiradi on swift VDi ?

I have plans for travelling around wee hours of friday to m'lore.. and would be on swift VDi. As always, the shiradi is the question mark. I am ok with spending couple of hours in shiradi, if i can scrape through safe. So please advise.
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:52   #795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I have plans for travelling around wee hours of friday to m'lore.. and would be on swift VDi. As always, the shiradi is the question mark. I am ok with spending couple of hours in shiradi, if i can scrape through safe. So please advise.
I drove Swift as well..you can definitely manage without much problems except the traffic(try your luck)

But I heard that road has gone really bad in Uppinangadi-BCRoad-Mangalore stretch plus the traffic(Locals can confirm) Since i took the diversion i am not aware of this road condition

Shiradi is the shortest route and in except where the curves end and one or two bridges, its in good shape

Also alot of loose gravel on some curves, so you better be slow as sudden breaking might cause the car to skid

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks