Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 09:24   #7951
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu411 View Post
Hello all,
From Bangalore to Mangalore, what is the best route to take?

Also, from Mangalore along the Karnataka coast, what are the must-see places? (non touristy). I am thinking of going up to Gokharna and returning to Bangalore.

Thanks!
The best route as recommended by more frequent travellers on this thread is via Shiradi ghat, suggest you to take this route. If you like visiting temples, you have enough to see for 3 days.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 13:31   #7952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

There was news that Heavy Vehicles will now be allowed on Shiradi a few days back and if that is true now, Charmadi will witness less freight traffic and that means faster progress to cross the ghats.

All in all, Shiradi is still a better bet for your return.
Just read in today's TOI, you were right, HTV will be allowed on Shiradi Ghat.
Old 15th November 2018, 16:14   #7953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Within Belur it is quite OK and good after you exit Belur. Road after Kottigehara is winding all the way to Horanadu. Rear seat may experience some difficulty here. Take it easy and it will be fine. I visited the temple on 22/10, leaving Bangalore at 0515 and reaching Horanadu by 1200 with a fuel stop and a stop for breakfast in between.
From Horanadu, it is Kalasa - Samse - Kudremukha - Karkala.

After Karkala, you can take Karkala - Palli - Moodubelle - Dendoorkatte - Kukkikatte - Udupi. This road seems to be in better shape, shorter and faster. Hope this helps.

we also went to Horanadu from BLR via Kottigehara. Started from BLR on the night of 15th and reached Horanadu on 16th at 5.30 am. Experience very heavy fog from Kottigehaara to Horanadu which slowed us down considerably.
Return was again on 16th night and again very heavy fog upto Kottigehaara.. after which it was a good sedate run to BLR.
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 09:43   #7954
BHPian

Morning All,

I just completed a Bangalore to Moodbidri (non-stop) drive today morning. Started at 2 AM and reached my destination by around 8 AM.

Key updates:
- Road after Sakleshpur town until Concrete section remains bumpy
- The presence of heavy vehicles throughout the route now spoils the fun of a peaceful drive
- Speed breakers have come up at some of the narrow one way sections on Shiradi
- The rough patches created as part of the 4-Laning after Gundya, are patched up which means you now do not have to move in and out of each crater which was a real pain

Cheers
Rahulb22

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th November 2018 at 13:07. Reason: edited
rahulb22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 16:44   #7955
Senior - BHPian

I did a round trip to Dharmasthala today, started from Bangalore at 4:30am, and reached Dharmasthala at 9:30am with a 30 minutes break. There was very less crowd courtesy got direct entry from the main gate of temple, was out of the temple at 10:00am. I started my return journey to Bangalore at 10:30am and reached home at 3:15pm. As rahul has mentioned heavy vehicles are big nuisances while negotiating unfinished curves on Shiradi ghat
deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 17:24   #7956
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Question on getting to the Huliyurdurga road via the NH 75 (Bangalore-Hassan-Mangalore highway):
According to google maps, seems like there is an unfinished section of the service road and hence one needs to take a right turn at one perpendicular underpass to get to the service road on right side, then take the next perpendicular underpass to get back to the service road on left to finally hit the junction for the SH33 to Huliyurdurga ? Is this is correct or just a case of the map data not being updated ?

Route Map link
*I used a temple on the SH33 as a sample destination for this routing

Here is a screenshot of the relevant diversions (Courtesy & Credits Google Maps):
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-map.png

Last edited by NPV : 24th November 2018 at 17:28.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 08:34   #7957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Question on getting to the Huliyurdurga road via the NH 75 (Bangalore-Hassan-Mangalore highway):
According to google maps, seems like there is an unfinished section of the service road and hence one needs to take a right turn at one perpendicular underpass to get to the service road on right side, then take the next perpendicular underpass to get back to the service road on left to finally hit the junction for the SH33 to Huliyurdurga ?
When you approach Kunigal coming from Nelamangala, there is a stretch of service road to your left(marked in the picture) which is not asphalted. It is the same road shown on map, have explored this road once returning from Huliyurdurga. The roads were bad when passing through the second underpass, it is better to enter Kunigal town and take SH33 to reach Huliyurdurga.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-service-road-kunigal.jpg  

Last edited by deehunk : 26th November 2018 at 08:42.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 08:50   #7958
Senior - BHPian

If somebody wants to avoid the toll gate near Shanthigrama, this route can be used. I found it yesterday due to mad rush of vehicles on NH75, it is a decent village road, a bit narrow but better than waiting in the toll plaza.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-shanthigrama-avoid-toll.jpg  

deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 14:10   #7959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
.... On our onward journey, we drove from Blore to Baindur via Chitradurga, Channagiri, Shimoga, Ayanur, Ripponpet, Hosanagara, Nagara, Nittur and Kollur.

Lessons learned:
- On 2-laned/undivided roads, tone down the aggression.
- On 2-laned/undivided roads, avoid night driving esp on routes with high traffic.
Agree with you. Whenever I have to travel from Udupi/Mangalore back to Bangalore, I make it a point to leave max by 2 PM, so that I can reach Hassan by 6-6.30. Beyond Hassan, it is much easier to navigate on the 4 lane highway even at night - except for those terrible rumblers.
nikipedia87 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 18:06   #7960
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
When you approach Kunigal coming from Nelamangala, there is a stretch of service road to your left(marked in the picture) which is not asphalted. It is the same road shown on map, have explored this road once returning from Huliyurdurga.
My query was for a friend who drove that side on Sunday. Here is the update from him:
Quote:
The main entry to Kunigal near Anchepalya (Taj restaurant on left) is signaged well, but it did seem like the service road was bit rough there. However, since we used Jodi Anjaneya temple as the destination, google maps navigation asked us to make a right turn onto service road about 3Km after the main Kunigal entry. At this place the median has a break, but the service road on right side is a good 7-8 feet below the main carriageway and has a steep ramp, so we avoided this turn. Now, navigation suggested going another 8Km ahead and making a U-turn onto service road, going another 3Km and then taking a road towards a Mosque (Herur) that joins back to SH33 on the Kunigal side about 500 m from the underpass (where SH 33 goes below NH75). On our way towards the U turn point, we saw that service roads on both sides were very rough, incomplete at some places, so we went further up towards Yadiyur to make a U turn and took the other entry into Kunigal and then turned towards SH 33.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 09:57   #7961
BHPian

How is the fastag implementation on this route?

Could any list the fastag lanes for onward and return journeys to M'lore. Has it been implemented at BC Road toll? Also, any update on the suratkal toll? There was news that the same will be merged with hejamady toll.

On another note, saw a news of approval of 4 lane for channarayapatna bypass and hassan bypass.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 10:52   #7962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
On another note, saw a news of approval of 4 lane for channarayapatna bypass and hassan bypass.
Saw an article in today's The Hindu (link)

They are widening the 2-lane Hassan and Channarayapatna bypasses to 4-lanes. Inauguration is today (1st Dec) by Union Minister for Road Transport Nitin Gadkari and Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy at Hassan around 1pm.

This widening is 1 of 3 projects that Shri Gadkari is inaugurating. Total costs for all 3 projects is Rs.1865 crore (another link).

Hassan & Channarayapatna bypass widening cost alone is about Rs.823 crores (for about 21kms of length ).
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 14:46   #7963
BHPian

Quote:
How is the fastag implementation on this route?

Could any list the fastag lanes for onward and return journeys to M'lore. Has it been implemented at BC Road toll? Also, any update on the suratkal toll? There was news that the same will be merged with hejamady toll.

All tolls on this route are fastag enabled including BC road. The fastag lanes are on the left (Lane no.2 i guess). KA19 registered vehicles do not have to pay toll at Suratkal. I have seen some non KA19 vehicle get into the no toll lane (extreme left) and pass by.

I had atleast a couple of instances wherein the reader listed my tag as blacklisted though there was enough balance. This looks like a random occurence. Very irritating though.
Old 1st December 2018, 16:44   #7964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hassan & Channarayapatna bypass widening cost alone is about Rs.823 crores (for about 21kms of length ).
That would add an additional 30-40 bucks as toll charges once it is completed.

Is the two laned stretch 21km long? I always believed it to be some 8-10km at most; must keep proper count the next time I drive there.

The Belur-Bilikere route is a far sighted expansion. I am sure the authorities must have done their surveys, but to plain sight, the traffic from Belur to Mysore via Holenarasipura appears too thin to warrant a four laned highway. If at all they had to pick a route, expanding the Srirangapatna-Bellur Cross and Srirangapatna-Chennarayapatna stretches would have been better and pro-people.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 23:39   #7965
BHPian

Completed a ~950 Km BLR- Horanadu-Udupi- Mangalore- BLR trip last week. (Sorry for not sharing a timely update).

Onward journey

Left BLR on Saturday noon around 2 PM after picking up my aunt at her place near Kanakapura road. Took nice road all the way till Tumkur road. Excellent roads all the way till Hassan. Took a deviation outside Hassan towards Belur only to regret it later. The road abruptly ended and I had to drive through typical village roads through someone's agricultural lands. Finally after 45 precious minutes managed to join Belur road. The road all the way from Belur - Kottigehara- Kelagur- Kalasa - Horanadu was overall good with some bumpy streatch in between, but nothing to complain about. The ghat section near Horanadu is very twisty and lots of blind curves. Everyone becomes a Lewis Hamilton or Kimi Raikkonen on those roads. By the time I reached Horanadu it was around 9 PM. A decent 7 hour drive with a 30 minute stop for lunch and tender coconut water near CR Patna bypass.

Sunday morning, had breakfast at Horanadu, proceeded towards Udupi.
Horanadu-Kalasa-Samse- Kudremukha -Bajegoli- Karkala - Katpadi-Udupi was an excellent drive. Took 4 hours to reach Udupi after a sedate drive with a lunch break near Karkala.

Return Journey

Left Udupi on Monday around 3PM, drove via Mangalore (could not miss Pabbas)- BC Road - Gundya- Shiradi - Sakleshpura - Hassan- Bangalore. Roads are nothing to boast about. Road expansion work is in progress from Mangalore till Shiradi ghat. Shiradi Ghat was a bliss to drive . The joy was short lived once the ghat ends. The roads till Hassan was very bumpy , narrow at certain places and drive was quite tiring.
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed