Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 02:35   #7966
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

This was long overdue. I recently did a Mumbai--Belgaum--Bangalore--Udupi--Ankola--Hubli--Pune--Mumbai solo trip ( 2754 kms ) in my VW Polo and here are some updates on Bangalore--Kukke--Dharmasthala--Udupi sector that I drove on 19th November 2018. Before I proceed, I wish to tell you that I had a pleasure meeting Distinguished-BHPian @paragsachania nearby his workplace at Hosur road, Bangalore. We both finally met nearly after 4 years of planning to catch up someday in either Mumbai/Pune/Belgaum or Bangalore. We had an awesome meet over the breakfast, thank you Parag sir for that. On his guidance, I fuelled up at the nearby BP COCO and hit the NICE road towards Nelamangala.

1. NICE Road, Bangalore :- Absolutely awesome stretch
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20181119_091613__01.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20181119_092529__01.jpg

2. Bangalore ( Nelamangala ) -- Hassan :-
Nice smooth 4 lane straight road devoid of traffic. I am used to driving amidst high traffic levels on the highways in Maharashtra, so the empty roads in Karnataka was a different experience although boring here and there. The traffic on NH75 was extremely low, almost nil. However there are a good number of nice restaurants on this mere 180 km stretch that easily outnumber those on the entire Bangalore--Belgaum stretch of NH4 ( 500 kms ). But with such low levels of traffic, how do all of them make any business ?? !!

Some pics
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20181119_102157__01.jpg

I am an avid busfan, so a pic with our dear KSRTC Airavat Club class Volvo B9R multiaxle
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20181119_110507__01.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20181119_110446__01.jpg

3. Hassan -- Sakleshpur -- 2 lane patchy road but not that bad.

4. Sakleshpur -- Shiradi ghat -- Gundya --> Initial stretch is a bit patchy but once you hit the concrete stretch, its very beautifully done up.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20181119_155243__01.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20181119_154926__01.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20181119_155506__01__01.jpg

5. Gundya to Kukke Subrahmanya --
Nice smooth 2 lane forest road.

6. Kukke to Dharmasthala ( it turns dark since here and the further distance covered at night ) -- Mostly 2 lane smooth forest road with intermittent potholes. There was a very rough stretch nearing NH75 from Kukke, but didn't bother me much.

7. Dharmasthala -- Ujire -- Good 2 lane smooth road

8. Ujire -- Bajegoli -- Karkala -- Udupi --> Average road interspersed with really bad stretches with huge horrendous potholes. Overall an average road and warrants extreme caution at night.

I took a total of 6 hours stop in between inclusive of lunch, tea, photo session at scenic spots, darshan at Kukke and Dharmasthala temples and dinner. Started at 9:00 a.m from Hosur road, Bangalore and reached Parkala, Udupi at 11:45pm, a very long day at that ! I drove very sedately too.

Overall, a delightful drive
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20181119_155533__01.jpg

Last edited by vivek95 : 5th December 2018 at 02:46.
vivek95 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 20:20   #7967
Senior - BHPian

Anybody knows if Madikeri - Sullya route is all fine for cars?
Old 7th December 2018, 20:24   #7968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Anybody knows if Madikeri - Sullya route is all fine for cars?
Yes it is perfectly fine for cars. I had been on that route a month back when I was in India for vacation. No issues on that stretch.

Just that they are not letting heavy vehicles, apart from that for cars and mini buses it is just fine.
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 19:24   #7969
BHPian

Need to travel to Kundapura in a couple of days. Will be starting early from Bangalore. Which route is preferable?

Bangalore - Shiradi - Mangalore - Kundapura or
Bangalore - Agumbe - Kundapura?
Old 10th December 2018, 20:06   #7970
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
Bangalore - Shiradi - Mangalore - Kundapura or
Bangalore - Agumbe - Kundapura?
Shiradi is still the fastest and best route for you. Agumbe will be much slower. With the early morning start, Shiradi should be a breeze.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 10:15   #7971
BHPian

Planning for a Bangalore - Mangalore - Puttur - Bangalore drive for the last week of December , idea is to leave early morning 4AM from Jayanagar and reach Mangalore by lunch. Wanted to check the fog condition on Shiradi ghat , will it be too dense or manageable?. Will be driving a EcoSport this time around.
Old 12th December 2018, 11:29   #7972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Planning for a Bangalore - Mangalore - Puttur - Bangalore drive for the last week of December , idea is to leave early morning 4AM from Jayanagar and reach Mangalore by lunch. Wanted to check the fog condition on Shiradi ghat , will it be too dense or manageable?. Will be driving a EcoSport this time around.
I don't think you will witness substantial fog by the time you reach Shiradi. There are more chances of experiencing thick fog around CR Patna bypass area.
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 15:11   #7973
BHPian

Planning for Kukke and Dharmasthala trip from Bangalore next week. Any updates on the route please. I was told that Charmadi ghats are closed. First time I am travelling towards that region. Any suggestions on accommodation also welcome.
Old 12th December 2018, 15:18   #7974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Planning for Kukke and Dharmasthala trip from Bangalore next week. Any updates on the route please. I was told that Charmadi ghats are closed. First time I am travelling towards that region. Any suggestions on accommodation also welcome.
Please check the first post on this page ( post no. 7966), I have shared the latest updates. In short, stick to Bangalore--Hassan--Sakleshpur--Shiradi ghat--Gundya--Kukke--Dharmasthala route.
vivek95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 20:34   #7975
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions on accommodation also welcome.
Vijay Comforts is a nice place for your visit to Kukke, not very far from the temple and is on the main road.
Not sure about places (private hotels) to stay for Dharmasthala visit, do check if the temple trust managed accommodation is available.
Old 13th December 2018, 11:30   #7976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Vijay Comforts is a nice place for your visit to Kukke, not very far from the temple and is on the main road.
Not sure about places (private hotels) to stay for Dharmasthala visit, do check if the temple trust managed accommodation is available.
Another option is Vyasa Mandir, which is right next to the temple. Pretty clean and has a restaurant attached as well. They have ample car parking also.
Old 16th December 2018, 06:50   #7977
BHPian

Quote:
One suggestion is after finishing Kukke avoid going via Aithoor to Dharmasthala. Instead come back to Gundya and turn left. The road between Gundya and Kukke is very good.
Old 17th December 2018, 04:01   #7978
BHPian

I’m planning for a similar trip from Bangalore to Udupi - Murudeshwara and few other famous temples in Mangalore along the coast.

Is there still problem and have to be cautious while travelling to core Karnataka with TN number plate or situation is under control now?

Please someone share the list of famous temples which we can cover during our trip along with Murudeshwara. If someone can share the Google map along with the list of pure veg eateries, it will be much helpful.
Old 17th December 2018, 06:35   #7979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
I
Is there still problem and have to be cautious while travelling to core Karnataka with TN number plate or situation is under control now?
Never was a problem in coastal Karnataka. TN and all other plates welcome.
cogWheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 17:49   #7980
BHPian

Hi All... I am planning to drive to Udupi from Bangalore on the night of 21st Dec. Is the Hassan route safe for a couple to drive at night? I know the roads till Hassan are smooth and fast not sure if daylight is sort of mandatory post that.

Any help on the best route to reach Udupi as early in the morning as possible would really help.

Renault Kwid, 1 couple, night driving is not an issue in general. We usually leave such that we reach our destinations in the morning.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 17th December 2018 at 17:53. Reason: Spelling correction

Most Viewed