Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2019, 10:08   #8131
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu77 View Post
Hi all .. Planning to take Agumbe via Hassan-Belur-Balehonnur-Hariharapura for our upcoming Bengaluru-to-Kota trip next month.
=======
Thanks in advance ...
Hi All ... I'll be taking this route tomorrow. Considering that monsoon is in its full fury and glory, if somebody (esp locals) could guide us on the current status or anything to watch out for, it is greatly appreciated.

BLR - Nelamangala - Hassan - Belur - CKM - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Hariharapura - Begar - Agumbe - Someshwara - Goliyangadi - Madhuvana - Kota

Thanking in advance ..
pachchu77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 22:27   #8132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu77 View Post
Hi All ... I'll be taking this route tomorrow. Considering that monsoon is in its full fury and glory, if somebody (esp locals) could guide us on the current status or anything to watch out for, it is greatly appreciated.

BLR - Nelamangala - Hassan - Belur - CKM - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Hariharapura - Begar - Agumbe - Someshwara - Goliyangadi - Madhuvana - Kota

Thanking in advance ..
This is the best option as the road between Jayapura and Sringeri was blocked today.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 07:42   #8133
BHPian

Any updates on the Shiradi ghat route, especially blockages causing traffic jams in/near Sakleshpur?
Old 9th August 2019, 09:21   #8134
BHPian

There are no blocks in Shiradi ghat till today morning. All the night service buses reached destination today morning within time
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 12:12   #8135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
There are no blocks in Shiradi ghat till today morning. All the night service buses reached destination today morning within time

Thanks for the update. Planning to go to Sakleshpur tomorrow morning and was wondering.
Old 9th August 2019, 12:35   #8136
BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Just completed Bangalore-Puttur. Shiradi ghat is open, fallen trees and minor landslides are common sights. I could see 1 JCB on standby near Gundya and 2 more were clearing landslides near kempuhole. River water has entered highway near Udane ie between Gundya and Nelyadi and at one more place near Bedrodi near Uppinangady. Cars could cross overflowing river water near Udane but road was blocked near Bedrodi. One can take alternate route via Gundya - Kadaba-Uppinangady this will bypass both these places.

All in all it's raining cats and dogs and things definitely doesn't look good in some sections of Shiradi ghat. My recommendation avoid driving in this stretch for couple of more days, one can opt for bus if travelling. Even If one need to drive then expect some blockades due to landslides and fallen trees.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 9th August 2019 at 12:46.
DragonHawk is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 19:18   #8137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
This is the best option as the road between Jayapura and Sringeri was blocked today.
Completed Bengaluru - Kota trip today via Agumbe. I was initially planning CKM route, but at the last minute my brother dissuaded me citing monsoon and the geography of the terrain. So, took BLR - Tumkur - Sira - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampura - Tarikere - Agumbe - Someshwara - Goliyangadi - Kota.

Compared to Shiradi that I had been taking all along, this route was so stress-free with good-to-excellent roads coupled with sparse traffic. Add to it, occasional bursts from rain god and fog-laden Agumbe ... it was such a pleasurable drive.

We did have a couple of hiccups though -

1. Road was blocked at Muttinakoppa where you need to take a right towards Maduba (as per GMaps which I was following to the letter). We were told a bridge was submerged or so. So, we drove via NR Pura - Koppa - Hariharapura - Begar - Agumbe.

2. A tree branch fell on the road at the last hair-pin bend on Agumbe, which delayed the journey for 5-10 mins.

So, all in all exercise extreme caution, follow weather updates regularly and be safe !
pachchu77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 20:33   #8138
BHPian

https://twitter.com/DighvijayNews24/...464451072?s=20

https://www.udayavani.com/homepage-k...highway-closed

I also came across photos with bridges under water near Kempu hole and Nethravathi. Land slides reported too. Suggest avoiding for couple of days.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 9th August 2019 at 20:35.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 21:42   #8139
BHPian

Mangalore - Bangalore via Shiradi Ghat is closed due to landslide and as per report things should be cleared by tomorrow. But better to be safe by avoiding this route altogether.
https://vijaykarnataka.indiatimes.co...w/70605343.cms

Here is the video of flood water blocking the highway near Udane as captured in my dash cam.
DragonHawk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 22:02   #8140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Mangalore - Bangalore via Shiradi Ghat is closed due to landslide and as per report things should be cleared by tomorrow. But better to be safe by avoiding this route altogether.
https://vijaykarnataka.indiatimes.co...w/70605343.cms

Any idea where exactly is the road closure? I'm planning to get off the Bangalore - Mangalore highway just at the start of Shiradi ghat (near the Manjarabad fort) so my question is if the blockage is before that or after that? Looks like it may be on the Shiradi ghat road proper and before the ghat starts the road may be clear although with traffic snarls.

Last edited by ajmat : 9th August 2019 at 23:14.
Old 9th August 2019, 22:22   #8141
BHPian

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

If it is near Manjarabad Fort then it shouldn't be a problem as landslides reported is mostly near Donigal.

Meanwhile Hassan DC has ordered closure of shiradi ghat for all vehicle movement between 7pm to 7am till 12th August

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-whatsapp-image-20190809-22.36.00.jpeg

Last edited by DragonHawk : 9th August 2019 at 22:48.
DragonHawk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 05:58   #8142
BHPian

There is going to be heavy backed up traffic on the Mangalore highway then! I may try the alternate Channarayapatana, Holenarsipur, Arkalgund, Kodlipet route to get to where I'm going.
Old 10th August 2019, 08:23   #8143
BHPian

Yesterday around 4pm I left Hassan and commenced my journey towards Mangalore. Little did I know this journey would be an adventure in itself.As soon as I boarded the bus, driver informed us that due to multiple landslides in shiradi ghat they will be diverting via arakalgood- periyapatna- madikeri route.

The road from hassan - gorur to periyapatna is in good condition. As soon as we reached periyapatna, we were informed that due to submerged brigde in Kushalnagar, no vehicles is allowed to take that route. Alternatively cops suggested us to take siddapura Madikeri route. This was a narrow single laned road with a lot of potholes. And lot of incoming traffic made the journey treacherous. A lot of buses were diverted through this road and hence the traffic was heavy in this stretch.Finally around 8pm we managed to reach Madikeri.
There are a couple of spots of bother in sampaje ghat too but we made it through without any hassle. The driver told us that as soon we crossed Mani fresh landslides were reported in sampaje and even sampaje has been blocked. I cannot guarantee the source but I think there is a possibility of landslide near madenadu area.Finally around 11.00 pm I reached Mangalore safely .

So if you're trying to drive down to Mangalore I think it's better to look for alternatives than sampaje- shiradi- bisle - charmadi. Although shiradi might be cleared for traffic in couple of days, there has been reports of waterlogging near addahole and all the traffic is being diverted from gundya towards kadaba uppinangady. So plan accordingly.
avaneesh. is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 20:27   #8144
BHPian

Just reached MLR from BLR. Took the below route
CR Patna - Holenarsipura - Arkalgud - Shanivarasanthe - Somwarpete - Madikeri - Sullia - Puttur - MLR.
Had to take a deviation at Holenarsipura and Arkalgud as the roads were flooded. The deviations were short but were very tricky as it was narrow and slushy. Rest of the route was fine but encountered medium to heavy rains throughout.
Some of the sections between Shanivarasanthe - Sampaje looked like they were just cleared of landslides and tree falls.
Took about 10 hours to cover the distance.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 09:23   #8145
BHPian

Seems like the shiradi/charmadi/Sullia situation is dynamic and things are changing on a daily basis based on the rainfall and the road clearance activities.

Was anyone able to use shiradi/Sullia on August 11th? I have a Bangalore to Udupi trip coming up this Thursday. Wondering what the situation is going to be

Most Viewed