Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2019, 19:30   #8161
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Today I returned from Kundapur and took the same Agumbe - Sringeri - CKM - Hassan route. Did not encounter any rain whatsoever throughout. Initial plan was to take Shiradi since I was starting very early at 4AM.
Wasn't it too foggy at/around Agumbe that early in the day ? I keep hearing that visibility is too poor before 10/11 AM on this stretch, so I always thought, I have to start late if at all I plan to take Agumbe for my return trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
I drove from Kadapa to Kollur temple today via Bangalore. As it was late night,I took Mangalore route but the road condition is pretty bad. I plan to use the above route while returning back.
Yes Shiradi route is too tiresome with frequent potholes between Hassan - B.C Road barring concrete/ghat stretch.

In stead of via CKM, you may also want to consider Tarikere-Hosadurga-Hiriyur-Sira-Tumkur-Blr route. I just did this route a week back and it was a pleasure !

Last edited by pachchu77 : 18th August 2019 at 19:35. Reason: Quoting multiple posts
Old 18th August 2019, 21:40   #8162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu77 View Post
Wasn't it too foggy at/around Agumbe that early in the day ? I keep hearing that visibility is too poor before 10/11 AM on this stretch, so I always thought, I have to start late if at all I plan to take Agumbe for my return trips.
No, I did not face any fog issues today. But there were instances in the past when I was caught in fog at or after Agumbe.
Anyway, I prefer early morning starts to escape from weekend traffic build up at the ghats and as well evening traffic by the time I enter Chennai.
Makin Rulesz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 10:08   #8163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Today I returned from Kundapur and took the same Agumbe - Sringeri - CKM - Hassan route. Did not encounter any rain whatsoever throughout. Initial plan was to take Shiradi since I was starting very early at 4AM. But after seeing the above post by rahulskumar, I took the risk of taking Agumbe so early in the morning. In my earlier post when I took Shiradi in the month of May I had expressed by reluctance to go by that route. It was not good that time itself and recent rains must have made the really bad.
@rahulskumar, please be careful if you are planning to return by Agumbe - CKM route. First, it is narrow(1.5 lane) for most part of it. Second, roads are very twisty and winding throughout. Third, there are no decent options for food or bio breaks. If you are comfortable with these then only take this route. Otherwise stick to Shiradi.

@Makin : I took the same route yesterday. Left Kollur at 7 am , reached Hassan around 11:30. Completed lunch at Hotel Raama. Then dropped my cousin at Hebbal ( 4 pm ) and reached Hyderabad by 11:30 pm. Road condition is much better than Shiradi but we need to cross few ghat areas. I dont know if forest section will be open during night time.
Old 19th August 2019, 10:33   #8164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
I dont know if forest section will be open during night time.
This route is open 24 X 7. There are no restrictions.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 11:53   #8165
BHPian

Traveled from Udupi to Bangalore on 18th/Aug

Route -> Udupi -> Mangalore -> BC Rd -> Shiradi -> Hasan -> Blr

The main ghat with concrete is great and is a breeze to drive on
The BC Road to the ghats is starting to show signs of wear and tear but still easily motorable
After the concrete section till Sakleshpur is getting really bad really quickly. I suspect that by end of August any car will have significant trouble on this section.

Hasan to BLR is smooth and great as usual.

Overall journey took 6.5hrs including a 30 mins break at A2B
Old 19th August 2019, 12:34   #8166
BHPian

Roads via Shiradi and Sampaje are open. Road condition has deteriorated at places so one has to keep eyes open for potholes.
Old 19th August 2019, 14:26   #8167
BHPian

Completed home run from Bangalore to Udupi and return journey yesterday. Took Bengaluru> Hasana> Beluru > Chikkamagaluru > Jayapura > Sringeri > Agumbe > Udupi
route on 15th Aug and preferred the same while returning yesterday.

Chikkamagaluru to Alduru road is remarkably deteriorated due to heavy rains in the region from last few weeks. Drive cautiously and look for the random potholes. Apart from this, the tiny stretch just before entering Jayapura bus station looks hazardous but repair works are already started.

Not to be surprised, recently widened Jayapura to Sringeri stretch is in post-apocalypse condition. All along the way, you can see trees lying on the road and heavy landslides (In some places it has conquered half of the road). Thanks to the unscientific widening keeping Sringeri tourists in mind, nature has taken its revenge.
ThilakNex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 16:46   #8168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu77 View Post
In stead of via CKM, you may also want to consider Tarikere-Hosadurga-Hiriyur-Sira-Tumkur-Blr route. I just did this route a week back and it was a pleasure !
I am a regular on this route now and haven't ventured via Shiradi or Agumbe to get to my native. It's always been Bangalore - Tumkur - Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Tarikere - Lakkavalli - Muttinakoppa - Thirthahalli - Hulikal - Ampar - Kundapur. This is , by far, the most stable one for the last few years now in terms of road quality. Yes, there are odd potholes near Muttinakoppa stretch but nothing to be worried about. I did this route on the 14th of Aug(left Bangalore at 2.30pm and reached Kundapur by 10pm with an 1 hour break in between). Returned via this route on the 18th and didn't encounter any issues
hallik9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 10:44   #8169
BHPian

Hi,

I have booked a Ford Freestyle through Zoom Car and going to Mangalore on 31st Aug (Sat) with 2 more friends from Bangalore. Return is on 4th Sept (taking 2 days off on Tuesday and Wednesday).

Plan is to stay at Phalguni River Lodge. Keeping it as center point want to drive to Agumbe, Udupi and Bekal Fort.

Can anyone suggest if it is a good time to do this trip ? Both of my friends are flying from different cities and definitely have to return catching Wednesday evening flight.

Can we at all drive around with the current flood situation ? I have 2 more days in hand to cancel the existing bookings. Plan to call up the lodge too but I doubt that they might say to come down but then once we reach the place we might not be able to drive around because of road closures or completely broken roads.

Please advice.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-phalguni.jpg  

Old 26th August 2019, 15:38   #8170
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

Got plans to go Kundapura for 3 days for the festival.

Can someone update on the Hassan - Sakleshpur - Gundya - Mangalore section?

Any better alternative suggestions are also welcome.

I have seen a few recent posts but a lot of rains have happened after that. So any current update would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!
Old 27th August 2019, 16:35   #8171
BHPian

I came back to Bangalore via Shiradi yesterday. There are lot of pot holes near and under the trees. Below the ghat section they are filling it up and making it rough. It seems between Hasana, sakleshpura and start of ghat section no work will be done untill rain is over. I also heard that 4 lane work will start only after this monsoon season.
Old 27th August 2019, 19:59   #8172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Got plans to go Kundapura for 3 days for the festival.
Wouldn't Hiriyur - Tarikere - Tirthahalli - Agumbe/Hulikal be faster and maybe even a better route to take vis a vis shiradi.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 21:20   #8173
Senior - BHPian

Is Agumbe route open?
Old 27th August 2019, 22:13   #8174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Is Agumbe route open?
When was it closed? Dont remember agumbe being closed this monsoon season. Remember someone traveled recently and updated here as well. Do check previous pages.

Last edited by procrj : 27th August 2019 at 22:15.
Old 27th August 2019, 22:30   #8175
Senior - BHPian

Will do sir. Had heard that the Agumbe route was closed for repairs and we had gone through Kuduremukh reserve forest/Sringeri to reach Manipal. This was before the monsoon season when rains had lashed the area causing some damage due to heavy traffic being diverted through that route.
Thanks for the update anyway procrj.

Most Viewed