Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 19:27   #8176
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Will do sir. Had heard that the Agumbe route was closed for repairs and we had gone through Kuduremukh reserve forest/Sringeri to reach Manipal. This was before the monsoon season when rains had lashed the area causing some damage due to heavy traffic being diverted through that route.
Thanks for the update anyway procrj.
Just did this route on Sunday and the route is holding up well. Bangalore - Kundapur via Agumbe. The ghats are in decent condition and with the rains declining, it's a good idea to drive through this route
hallik9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 20:13   #8177
Senior - BHPian

I returned from Mangalore via Shiradi yesterday. Except the cemented portion - roads are in a pretty bad shape till Sakleshpur with loads of potholes. Sakleshpur to Hassan is ok road condition but narrow. Hassan to Bangalore is a breeze as usual.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 22:40   #8178
Senior - BHPian

Charmadi has been opened for light vehicles.

However, as of now, vehicles can pass through only between 6am - 6pm.

Thanks to my colleague Santhosh for the information. He shared the relevant Government Order in our WhatsApp group.
Old 30th August 2019, 00:32   #8179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Just did this route on Sunday and the route is holding up well. Bangalore - Kundapur via Agumbe. The ghats are in decent condition and with the rains declining, it's a good idea to drive through this route
What route did you take for Bangalore-Agumbe?
Old 31st August 2019, 11:09   #8180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Charmadi has been opened for light vehicles.
And closed again .

Kannada Prabha reports that in view of the possible landslides and slippery nature of the roads, movement of vehicles has been stopped by the district administration.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20190831_1107171816x3115.jpg  

dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 12:10   #8181
Senior - BHPian

Did a Bangalore - Udupi run yesterday.
Left E city toll on NICE road at 1150 and reached Udupi at 2050 with 2 breaks in between. Traffic was sparse till Mangalore after which it was crazy.
Road till Hassan is excellent now. There was a diversion onto the opposite carriageway for a few kms on the last toll stretch due to relaying of asphalt. Number of speed breakers have increased considerably from the last run.
Hassan to the start of concrete stretch is now giving away at many places. The stretch after Sakleshpura is the worst here with the Up part being in worse condition than the Down part and the dust from the vehicles in front adds to the misery.
Concrete stretch is good, except for the places where a layer of asphalt is laid which is slowly giving away. And a small stretch of around 10m before the concrete section ends.
After this, the roads again deteriorates considerably with the newly constructed culverts being worse affected.
BC road to Nantoor signal is good after which the road worsens till Surathkal. The road along the Mangalore port is in pretty bad shape and the truck traffic adds to the woes. After Surathkal, the traffic and the road condition improves a lot. The barricades placed without any indication poses a huge risk at night as the oncoming vehicles blind you.
Plan to take the Agumbe route on my return on tuesday.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 12:56   #8182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
What route did you take for Bangalore-Agumbe?
Used this route

Blr(Nice Road)-Tumkur-Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Ajjampura-Tarikere-Bhadra Dam-Muttinakoppa-Thirthahalli-Agumbe
Old 1st September 2019, 12:59   #8183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Did a Bangalore - Udupi run yesterday.
Left E city toll on NICE road at 1150 and reached Udupi at 2050 with 2 breaks in between. Traffic was sparse till Mangalore after which it was crazy.
Road till Hassan is excellent now. There was a diversion onto the opposite carriageway for a few kms on the last toll stretch due to relaying of asphalt. Number of speed breakers have increased considerably from the last run.
Hassan to the start of concrete stretch is now giving away at many places. The stretch after Sakleshpura is the worst here with the Up part being in worse condition than the Down part and the dust from the vehicles in front adds to the misery.
Concrete stretch is good, except for the places where a layer of asphalt is laid which is slowly giving away. And a small stretch of around 10m before the concrete section ends.
After this, the roads again deteriorates considerably with the newly constructed culverts being worse affected.
BC road to Nantoor signal is good after which the road worsens till Surathkal. The road along the Mangalore port is in pretty bad shape and the truck traffic adds to the woes. After Surathkal, the traffic and the road condition improves a lot. The barricades placed without any indication poses a huge risk at night as the oncoming vehicles blind you.
Plan to take the Agumbe route on my return on tuesday.
Did the Blr - Hassan - Mlore route on Saturday and it was painful. Blr - Hassan is a breeze but after that, it took me 5 hours from Hassan to Mangalore. Road conditions before and after sakleshpur are bad. The concrete stretch in the ghats are allright but the rest of it is sheer pain. Would avoid taking this going forward and would stick to Blr-Agumbe-Kundapur for the time being
Old 1st September 2019, 13:49   #8184
BHPian

Guys, Have to attend a wedding in Mangalore in a couple of weeks. I will be travelling with my wife and 6 month old son. I have never been to Mangalore and need you guys' help in deciding on the route and if it is safe to take a 6 month old after the recent rains. Cheers.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:51   #8185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Guys, Have to attend a wedding in Mangalore in a couple of weeks. I will be travelling with my wife and 6 month old son. I have never been to Mangalore and need you guys' help in deciding on the route and if it is safe to take a 6 month old after the recent rains. Cheers.
You can take Shiradi route. The stretch from Hassan-Sakleshpur(Until concrete road where the ghat begins) is in bad state. Ghat road is awesome. Once you come down to Gundya, the road until Mangalore is again in bad state. If you are travelling in Sedan/Hatchback, be watchful and drive slowly, cautiously.Despite bad stretches, this should be fastest and safest route.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 13:43   #8186
Senior - BHPian

I went to Kundapura and returned yesterday.

Took this route
Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe Koteshwar - Kundapura.

Returned via the same.

Excellent roads barring a few patches. this is negligible though. Roads have been cleared and some portions are being cleared.

Stayed at UVA Meridian Bay Resort - Koteshwar. Excellent place to be at! Good for kids too. Got a nice pool / gym and the works.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 16:34   #8187
Senior - BHPian

I returned from Byndoor yesterday, route taken was Byndoor - Udupi - Hebri - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Mutttinakoppa - Tarikere - Ajjampura - Hosadurga - Hiriyur - Bangalore. Had to pick up relatives in Udupi and so the detour.

The road from Udupi to Hiriyadka is in bad shape with work going on in for road widening.
Then the road till Agumbe was very good with sparse traffic and lot of greenery all round. The road from Agumbe to Thirthahalli is littered with WIP for widening and there are some rough patches. We took a detour towards Muttinakoppa to Tarikere and this part is excellent with some rough patch within the towns enroute. Tarikere to Hosadurga is good except for the traffic in Tarikere town. The road from Hosadurga to Hiriyur is a mixed bag. There are huge culverts (Around 4) being dug and vehicles need to go off the road to circumnavigate this. After this, there are some WIP of asphalting and widening with around 3 kms of rough road.

Hiriyur to Bangalore is a breeze until you hit the toll at Nelamangala where it becomes frantic drive by one and all.
We started at 0830 and reached at 1745 with a stop at Bhadra dam, another at Aramane Vybhava in Tarikere for lunch and Kamat in Dobaspet for a tea. Bhel puri and Mandakki at Bhadra was awesome and the lunch in Tarikere was good. The Aramane restaurant was decent with clean restrooms. However the Kamat is a big letdown and would not recommend this for a stop. The roadside makeshift hotels makes better food than this restaurant.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 12:43   #8188
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends, I am have planned to cover Udupi, Agumbe, Murdheswar, Belur & Halebeedu and return to Chennai. My starting place is Coimbatore. I have 4 full days.

My plan is

Day 1 - Coimbatore (6 am dep)- to Udupi Via Mysuru-Madikeri-Mangalore- Udupi (Halt)
Day 2 - Morning Udupi Krishna Darshan and then Murdheswar, Agumbe, Udupi (Halt)
Day 3 - Morning Udupi - Start around 11 - Sringeri - Belur, Halebeedu - Hassan (Halt)
Day 4 - Hassan to Chennai

The trip is with my family (temples & sightseeing). I know that Coimbatore to Udupi will be hectic on day 1 but can take sufficient rest on the night and start fresh for the rest of the days. Hassan to Chennai on day 4 is a long stretch but manageable due to better road condition.

Is this is a good plan?. I planned this based on google maps travel time. How is the road condition in Madikeri and other ghat sections? Can regular travelers guide me?

Thanks

Last edited by RGK : 9th September 2019 at 12:44.
Old 9th September 2019, 12:50   #8189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Hi Friends, I am have planned to cover Udupi, Agumbe, Murdheswar, Belur & Halebeedu and return to Chennai. My starting place is Coimbatore. I have 4 full days.

My plan is

Day 1 - Coimbatore (6 am dep)- to Udupi Via Mysuru-Madikeri-Mangalore- Udupi (Halt)
Day 2 - Morning Udupi Krishna Darshan and then Murdheswar, Agumbe, Udupi (Halt)
Day 3 - Morning Udupi - Start around 11 - Sringeri - Belur, Halebeedu - Hassan (Halt)
Day 4 - Hassan to Chennai

The trip is with my family (temples & sightseeing). I know that Coimbatore to Udupi will be hectic on day 1 but can take sufficient rest on the night and start fresh for the rest of the days. Hassan to Chennai on day 4 is a long stretch but manageable due to better road condition.

Is this is a good plan?. I planned this based on google maps travel time. How is the road condition in Madikeri and other ghat sections? Can regular travelers guide me?

Thanks
I believe you have a reason to do CBE Mysore and then Udupi instead of driving via Bangalore and then reach Udupi.

Day 1 is definitely possible with 2 ghats to tackle - Climb up Sathyamangalam and climb down Sampaje and Sullia and this can be tiring because it is all in a single day.

Day 3, please start no later than 06:00 if you really want to cover Sringeri, Belur and Halebidu all in a single day. Starting at 11:00 means you will hardly get time at Belur and Halebidu.

Day 4 - Hassan to Chennai looks reasonably OK as many do this and roads are in excellent shape.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:05   #8190
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I believe you have a reason to do CBE Mysore and then Udupi instead of driving via Bangalore and then reach Udupi.

Day 1 is definitely possible with 2 ghats to tackle - Climb up Sathyamangalam and climb down Sampaje and Sullia and this can be tiring because it is all in a single day.
The options are CBE -Kannur-Kasargod-Mangalore-Udupi and Mysuru route. I preferred Mysuru - Madikeri - Suliya - Puttur -Mangalore due to less traffic

OK, then I will start early on day 3 OR can I shift my stay at Belur on day 3 and do early morning sightseeing and leave to CHN via Hassan.

Most Viewed