Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2019, 13:10   #8191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
OK, then I will start early on day 3 OR can I shift my stay at Belur on day 3 and do early morning sightseeing and leave to CHN via Hassan.
From Sringeri, return via Chikmagalur and you halt at Chikmagalur as you have plenty of options to stay here.

From here to Belur is mere 25 minutes drive. You can start on Day 3 at 0630, wrap up Belur temple visit by 0800 (Breakfast in town), reach Halebidu after breakfast by 0900, reach Hassan by 1030, enter Nelamangala at 1300 and exit NICE by 1400, Hosur by 1430 and then all the way to Chennai.

Reason I don't recommend staying at Belur is because the options are strictly OK and hence Chikmagalur or Hassan are better choices. Staying at Hassan means you need to drive backward for Belur and Halebidu and hence staying at Chikmagalur makes more sense.

With this, you can still start from Udupi to Sringeri, as planned at 1100 and reach Chickmagalur by evening and relax.

Lastly, the only challenge with visiting Belur early morning would be the absence of ASI approved guides and I highly recommend hiring a guide if you are visiting Belur-Halebidu as there is a lot you will know when they talk about the history of these temples.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th September 2019 at 13:14.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 15:52   #8192
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
From Sringeri, return via Chikmagalur and you halt at Chikmagalur as you have plenty of options to stay here.

From here to Belur is mere 25 minutes drive. You can start on Day 3 at 0630, wrap up Belur temple visit by 0800 (Breakfast in town), reach Halebidu after breakfast by 0900, reach Hassan by 1030, enter Nelamangala at 1300 and exit NICE by 1400, Hosur by 1430 and then all the way to Chennai.

Lastly, the only challenge with visiting Belur early morning would be the absence of ASI approved guides and I highly recommend hiring a guide if you are visiting Belur-Halebidu as there is a lot you will know when they talk about the history of these temples.
That is Day 4 (From Chickmagalur to CHN via Belur-Halebid-Hassan). Let me check on the availability of the guide.

Thanks a lot, Parag.
Old 9th September 2019, 16:16   #8193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Let me check on the availability of the guide.
Usually they don't start their day before at least 0830/0900 on a regular day. I say this because there are few of these guides who have been my neighbors where we have our home at Belur.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 15:40   #8194
Distinguished - BHPian

A few updates on the route from Bangalore to Udupi. My usual issue with this route is the traffic Jam in the Shiradi ghat, most of the times I spend nearly 1 hour stuck in those curves. This time though very less traffic - no prizes for guessing why!

Traffic - Sparse.
Road Surface - BAD.

Bangalore to Hassan is clean, you can make quick progress afterwards its a death trap especially at night. The place where there is a truck lay bye between Hassan and Sakleshpur is a pond to wade through.

Hassan to Mangalore roads are in the worst shape that I have seen in memory, Its dangerous at night. I had to drive to Udupi on Friday night due to time constraints and the return was on Sunday night. During this time I saw quite a few incidents due to road condition.

I saw a vehicle that went super wide on a turn - lots of mud & gravel on the road, One went off the curve onto the bush, several vehicles stopped to put their bumpers back together, Punctures, its that bad.

Shiradi Ghat does have quite a lot of clean concrete roads, however the fog at night will ensure slow progress , an adventurous trip nevertheless.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 13:06   #8195
BHPian

I might have to visit Udupi next week for a family function, and since the Shiradi route isn't really in good shape post Hassan, considering the following two options:

Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampur - Tarikere - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Udupi

Hassan - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Udupi

I know the above routes have been talked about in the last couple of pages. But I have been hearing about recent inclement weather in the region, and would like to know which route would be the best as of today.
Old 13th September 2019, 13:12   #8196
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikipedia87 View Post
I might have to visit Udupi next week for a family function, and since the Shiradi route isn't really in good shape post Hassan, considering the following two options:
You should in my opinion, still stick to Shiradi itself. The bad part of the road is really before and after the concrete sections but rest of the route is really fine.

The option via Aldur - Balehonnur will not really consume too much time but will give you a feel of never ending journey due to twisty roads soon after Chikmagalur all the way till you descend Agumbe. It can be tiring too.

One via Tarikere is a sensible option compared to the above.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:53   #8197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hassan - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Udupi.
Quote:
... will give you a feel of never ending journey due to twisty roads soon after Chikmagalur all the way till you descend Agumbe. It can be tiring too.
But it will provide you with the best scenery and fresh oxygen. And immense driving pleasure if you like the twisties.

I think Parag will agree on this.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 16:07   #8198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
But it will provide you with the best scenery and fresh oxygen. And immense driving pleasure if you like the twisties.

If you are on vacation may be yes, but not if you are visiting on purpose. If you want to reach quickly, Shiradi has to be the one despite bad patches.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 16:14   #8199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hiriyur - Hosadurga - Ajjampur - Tarikere - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Udupi
This route has lot of WIP between Tarikere and Hosadurga, between Thirthahalli and Agumbe and Hebri to Udupi. It is going to slow you down a bit from what the Google says. Plus there is only one decent option for food in Tarikere, Aramane Vybhava restaurant after you turn from the NH.
On the bright side, you can visit the Vani VIlasa Sagar and Bhadra Dam enroue.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 17:37   #8200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Spot on and only I will agree to this without a wink. The problem is gauging the experience and expectations of the travelers and the purpose.

I hardly prefer Shiradi even on a regular day because all the other options are fantastically awesome including Charmadi or Kuduremukha but not for the first timers who have their intent to reach from A to B. It is scary to read reports once they return about roads being narrow or isolated .
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 19:03   #8201
BHPian

Quote:

I hardly prefer Shiradi even on a regular day because all the other options are fantastically awesome including Charmadi or Kuduremukha but not for the first timers who have their intent to reach from A to B. It is scary to read reports once they return about roads being narrow or isolated .
Haha, I get what you are saying. Thankfully, I have travelled via Shiradi, Charmadi and Agumbe ghats in the last few years and know what to expect in terms of terrain and traffic. My priority right now is a smooth, trouble free ride without having to worry too much about my car's suspension even if it means a few kilometers or a few minutes more than a shorter but troublesome route.

If I do change my mind about taking the car out, though, there's always the friendly AC sleeper bus going through the beaten path (pun intended).
nikipedia87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 06:49   #8202
Senior - BHPian

One of those bad patches; near Mani.
A durgamba bus broken down - causing a long pile up this morning.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20190914_064043025.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 20:29   #8203
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, Parag. Have planned and finalized the itinerary inline with your inputs.
On Day 2, we have planned to do Jog falls - Murdeshwar OR Murdeshwar - Agumbe from Udupi.

Last edited by RGK : 15th September 2019 at 20:34.
Old 23rd September 2019, 14:41   #8204
BHPian

Friends,

I have a need to travel to Mangalore next week.

Has anybody used the Madikeri route to Mangalore recently? Considering the current state of the Sakleshpur route, is that a better option? I understand that it would be an additional hour or so of travel time.

Cheers
Rahulb22

Last edited by rahulb22 : 23rd September 2019 at 14:41. Reason: Formatting errors
Old 23rd September 2019, 16:00   #8205
BHPian

Am not sure if this is the right thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread. How is the road condition between Channarayapatna and Holenarsipura? Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed