Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:35   #811
Senior - BHPian

crackedHead, repairing will take about a year or more but the condition coming back to the same state will take less then a month
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:44   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
crackedHead, repairing will take about a year or more but the condition coming back to the same state will take less then a month
I've never seen that road get so bad anytime in the last eight years - looks like they just let go of whatever patch work they used to carry out. Agree with you on the time frames but how did it get so bad in the first place!

Back to my other question - is there any interior road I can take to avoid having to do the Udupi-Mangalore-BC road stretch on my way back ?
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:05   #813
Senior - BHPian

CH, never saw such bad roads in last 8 years? last 3+ years this stretch is giving nightmarish experience to all motorists...

On other que there are numerous posts dicussing on the route options on this thread...anyways either madikeri or the best would be "Kudremukha...Karkala" route..
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:30   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Are there any alternate routes that will take me from Udupi to Dharmasthalla (but bypassing Mangalore) ?
You can go via: Udupi-Karkala-Guruvayanakere-Ujire-Dharmasthala
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:39   #815
BHPian

Quote:
CH, never saw such bad roads in last 8 years? last 3+ years this stretch is giving nightmarish experience to all motorists...

On other que there are numerous posts dicussing on the route options on this thread...anyways either madikeri or the best would be "Kudremukha...Karkala" route..
I actually drove thru the ghat section once when it was closed to traffic for maintenance - and the rest of this route was still decent.

What I meant to say was that I've never seen the BC Road to Udupi stretch in such bad shape before. It had potholes but there was road amongst them - seems like one long stretch of potholes now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
You can go via: Udupi-Karkala-Guruvayanakere-Ujire-Dharmasthala
Thanks - This was exactly the kind of detour that I was looking for. I just love driving thru the rest of that road (Dharmasthala-Shakleshpur-Bangalore).
Old 5th August 2009, 11:20   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Thanks - This was exactly the kind of detour that I was looking for. I just love driving thru the rest of that road (Dharmasthala-Shakleshpur-Bangalore).
Well, its infact a shortcut if you are driving from Udupi and want to reach Dharmasthala.

Udupi-Mangalore-Dharmasthala will definitely be far and time will surely be more.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:41   #817
BHPian

I will be driving down to Mangalore this Friday, 21st Aug 2009. The plan as of now is to start early at around 4.30am and drive via Madikeri. Any info on the road condition will be very helpful.

Also, what is the update on the route via Charmadi?
Old 17th August 2009, 10:48   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
I will be driving down to Mangalore this Friday, 21st Aug 2009. The plan as of now is to start early at around 4.30am and drive via Madikeri. Any info on the road condition will be very helpful.

I keep travelling to mangalore atleast twice in a month i recently discovered a route which saved me atleast 45 mins to 1 hour compared to my prior trips due to bad roads and traffic block(on NH) till mangalore .
-As you pass puttur you get into NH keep goin on NH before u reach B.C. ROAD you get a small junction (TOWN) in which if you take a left it goes to KONAJE mangalore university road go straight in that route its a narrow road with limited traffic (but be careful about sudden arrival of local private buses) it will lead you to town called MUDIPU ,you should take right which will go directly to TOKKOTTU (NH) from ther right leads to mangalore . hope it helped

Last edited by nithz : 17th August 2009 at 10:52.
Old 17th August 2009, 11:14   #819
Senior - BHPian

Nithnz i plan t take this route on my next trip hows the road condition?
Old 17th August 2009, 12:23   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Nithnz i plan t take this route on my next trip hows the road condition?
The route felt a lot more reliable no strain on the vehicle as well ,whereas the road from B.C. ROAD TO MANGALORE IS IN PATHETIC SHAPE the holes are no more the holes now they have turned into lakes . this route is far better now try this route and you ll notice the difference.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:16   #821
Senior - BHPian

I am hearing that even KSRTC volvo buses are coming via the NH48 and have avoided Madikeri route and that is due to the bad roads in that stretch it seems.

Does this mean that Shiradi is still the better options to reach Mangalore? [buses seems to be reaching on time)
Old 17th August 2009, 14:22   #822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post

Returned from a recent coorg trip,
Road is good all the way till Kushalnagara, from thereon it's bad. Too much of potholes just after Kushalnagara but from thereon the potholes reduces, till Madikeri. But beware of sudden potholes in the curves.
I took Kushalnagara - Nisargadhama- Dubare- Chettalli -Madikeri route.

Regarding charmadi, It's open now and quite good, recently pramod did a trip in this route.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:19   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Airavats take about 9 hours to and fro M'lore, even via. the Madikeri route... Also, the Airavat i boarded during the return trip came along the Thokkottu - Melkar route, to touch NH48. Not sure if it was our bus alone or all other Airavats are avoiding the Pumpwell->BC Road in their return trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nithz View Post
I keep travelling to mangalore atleast twice in a month i recently discovered a route which saved me atleast 45 mins to 1 hour compared to my prior trips due to bad roads and traffic block(on NH) till mangalore .
-As you pass puttur you get into NH keep goin on NH before u reach B.C. ROAD you get a small junction (TOWN) in which if you take a left it goes to KONAJE mangalore university road go straight in that route its a narrow road with limited traffic (but be careful about sudden arrival of local private buses) it will lead you to town called MUDIPU ,you should take right which will go directly to TOKKOTTU (NH) from ther right leads to mangalore . hope it helped
Hi nithz, KSRTC have discovered that route earlier, hehe. It's the Melkar junction, leading to Thokkottu.
Old 17th August 2009, 16:38   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am hearing that even KSRTC volvo buses are coming via the NH48 and have avoided Madikeri route and that is due to the bad roads in that stretch it seems.

Does this mean that Shiradi is still the better options to reach Mangalore? [buses seems to be reaching on time)
Not sure if the Volvo & Rajahamsa service buses use Shiradi Ghat route.
KSRTC recently gave a press release that both the above mentioned class of buses will go via the Madikeri route to ensure safety of passengers.

There was also a press release that overloaded iron ore trucks are banned on Shiradi Ghat till Aug 31st. Not sure how they will implement this rule though.
Old 18th August 2009, 00:47   #825
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know what would be the best route to Kukke Subramanya at this time? I may plan a trip from Bangalore to Kukke. I dont mind going a few extra KMs, but want to avoid real bad roads. I will be driving PalioD.
Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks