Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 07:13   #8281
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Is Bisle ghat motorable in a normal/low GC hatchback/sedan now?
Planning to visit Kukke, but want to avoid the bad roads between Hassan to start of Shiradi ghat.
A friend drove back from Kukke begining of this month. He called to say how painful was Shiradi during that weekend and wanted an alternative.

Having driven till Bisile view point, and one of the updates from Pridered recently, I suggested to take Bisile and he did.

He was more than happy to take Bisile over Shiradi and referred to around 3Km bad stretch which was still manageable with his GLA. This was during the long weekend of Nov 1.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 07:34   #8282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Is Bisle ghat motorable in a normal/low GC hatchback/sedan now?
Planning to visit Kukke, but want to avoid the bad roads between Hassan to start of Shiradi ghat.
As of Monday, about 2 kilometre has no asphalt, only bolders. Shiradi route is better than Bisile.

Last edited by _chikku : 26th November 2019 at 07:35.
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 07:36   #8283
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
About 2 kilometre has no asphalt, only bolders. Shiradi way is better than Bisile.
Bisle is not meant to be a mass traffic routing option. And it better stay like that. It cannot hold such heavy traffic. May be private cars and the odd cabs. Also near non-existent facilities will not aid its utilization. Shiradi anyday should be maintained as the main option.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 11:16   #8284
Senior - BHPian

Came back to Bangalore yesterday via Shiradi yesterday. Road has almost been patched up except 3-4KMs near Maranahalli.

Uppinanngadi-Gundya- Fully patched, not a single pothole.
Ghat Road- Beautiful as it was earlier.
Beginning of asphalt(Maranahalli) to Sakleshpur- 3-4KM's on bad stretch and rest have been patched.
Sakleshpur- Hassan: Patched most of the places, there are some odd tiny potholes which can be avoided.

The way road has been patched is no doubt a shoddy work, however will do until June 2020. Shiradi being shortest is now back as the fastest route down to coast!

Had taken Mysore-Sampaje for onward journey, road is good overall, with few rough sections here and there. That said this route eats quite a lot of time.
PrideRed is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 08:14   #8285
BHPian

Charmadi is open to light vehicles 24 hours from today. Restriction for heavy vehicles continues.
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 08:42   #8286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Charmadi is open to light vehicles 24 hours from today. Restriction for heavy vehicles continues.
That's what the papers say.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20191128_0826162427x746.jpg

Source:: Kannadaprabha

However, I am a bit skeptical about the news; the reason being that the declaration is made by the Deputy Commissioner of Mangaluru and not Chikkamagaluru. The majority of the damaged stretches and danger points were in the latter's limits. Just a few days ago there were reports of how the ghat roads couldn't be reconstructed because of lack of permission from the Department of Forests. There is also the minor issue of the NHAI officials not seeing eye to eye with the revenue authorities.

Deeper still is the vested interests of a few in keeping the Charmadi cluttered, so as to garner support for the proposed Shishila-Byrapura road. Living in the midst of this miasmic political and real estate driven environment, I doubt whether we can re-see the glory days of this utilitarian but beautiful route.

Nevertheless, I am glad Charmadi is open. But do remember to tread with caution!

Last edited by dailydriver : 28th November 2019 at 08:43.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 10:59   #8287
BHPian

Completed a round trip to moodbidri yesterday. I took Shiradi both ways and status remains the same as updated by PrideRed above. Only update is that the 4 Km stretch which was left out is also being patched up and should be done in a week's time.

However I felt that the patch work on the Gundya-Uppinangady stretch is much better than the Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch. The work seems more uniform.

I also got stuck in a bad jam due to an accident after Maranahalli. Luckily, there was enough gap for one car to pass and therefore we could pass through. Lost about 30 mins though. But buses and trucks would have had a tough time!!
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20191130_140628.jpg  

rahulb22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 11:16   #8288
Team-BHP Support

I traveled from Udupi to Bangalore yesterday via Agumbe and CKM. Very peaceful drive, very little bad roads. My first traffic holdup was at Peenya while trying to get down from the flyover.

My biggest grouse was Planter's court. I used to drop in for lunch whenever I passed by over a decade. Yesterday I found them converted into a Chinese bar/restaurant. Since we were hungry and no mood to change restaurant, we settled for it. Food was fresh and good, but very expensive and took a long time to deliver. Just single orders of Veg fried rice + Hunan Chicken Gravy + Veg semi-gravy cost us ₹950. They were also playing nice 60s pop music, but loudly. I need to find a new pitstop in CKM for future trips.

BTW, I found Mayura at Bellur Cross all renovated on the outside. The food quality also appears to have improved. The bonda soup and coffee was very good.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 14:33   #8289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I traveled from Udupi to Bangalore yesterday via Agumbe and CKM. Very peaceful drive, very little bad roads.
+1

I drove from Bangalore to Kundapura on 30th through this route. Except for some small bad patches around Vastare, road conditions are very good.

A nice place for photography with good background.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20191130_123339.jpg
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 14:49   #8290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
A nice place for photography with good background.
The recently added extra shoulder at this spot ensures that its safe to stop here for a click.
OT: What was your drive time from Chennai to Udupi? Did you drive through the night or took at break in BLR?
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 19:44   #8291
BHPian

A quick check on Kudremukha ghat road...

ThilakNex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 20:48   #8292
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamegz View Post
Received via Whatsapp, describes reasons for stopping of work in NH75.
It’s strange that the company is isolux. It was under foreclosure discussions in 2016 itself.

http://www.globalconstructionreview....ors7an-fil7es/

It was also involved in serious litigation with the power Corp of India in the same month it got the contract.
https://caselaw.in/today/arbitration...-05-2016/2396/

Looks like someone didn’t do their homework before awarding the contract to them.
Serious public money goes into a tender process.

What happened to our own CPWD? Aren’t they supposed to build the roads? Why do we need 6000 employees living in govt. quarters in prime localities if they aren’t building roads and bridges?

Last edited by hangover : 1st December 2019 at 20:51.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:55   #8293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Completed a round trip to moodbidri yesterday. I took Shiradi both ways and status remains the same as updated by PrideRed above. Only update is that the 4 Km stretch which was left out is also being patched up and should be done in a week's time.

However I felt that the patch work on the Gundya-Uppinangady stretch is much better than the Hassan-Sakleshpur stretch. The work seems more uniform.

I also got stuck in a bad jam due to an accident after Maranahalli. Luckily, there was enough gap for one car to pass and therefore we could pass through. Lost about 30 mins though. But buses and trucks would have had a tough time!!
I was there too. The accident happened about 5 minutes before I reached the spot. Had to wait for about 5-10 min. There is an alternate route through kadumane estate-hanbal. The patching up is almost done, may be 1km overall remains to be made.Due to rain over weekend, work was probably halted. Monday drive was quick, took me 5hrs to Jalahalli from Puttur including 30 minutes break.

There are quite a lot of restaurants opening up. One next to Hassan toll(to be opened soon)looks good, New Halli mane is average. My preferred place remains Anagha Grand and Swathi(provided crowd is less).
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 12:03   #8294
BHPian

Friends - what are the recommendations for Bangalore - Kukke - Dharmasthala - Bangalore?

Shiradi / Bisle / Charmadi / Sampaje / any other?

Planned vehicle is Vento with family and mostly driving during the day over this weekend.
Old 6th December 2019, 12:21   #8295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aithalsandy View Post
Friends - what are the recommendations for Bangalore - Kukke - Dharmasthala - Bangalore?

Shiradi / Bisle / Charmadi / Sampaje / any other?

Planned vehicle is Vento with family and mostly driving during the day over this weekend.
If it is Kukke first, then Dharmasthala, then I will recommend Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Kukke through Sampaje and return through Charmadi to Bangalore. Roads are in good condition.
If it is Dharmasthala first, then Charmadi will be a better option and then can take Sampaje back to Bangalore
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks