Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2020, 19:27   #8416
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The restaurant which is famous for Akki Rotti at Sakaleshpur (unable to recollect the name) was open too.
That should be 'Mythri' besides the highway near Sakleshpur. How about after Shirady? Is 'Adithya' near uppinangady and 'Laxmi' at Kalladka open?
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 19:57   #8417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
That should be 'Mythri' besides the highway near Sakleshpur. How about after Shirady? Is 'Adithya' near uppinangady and 'Laxmi' at Kalladka open?
Yes, it's Mythri. Another hotel called Surabhi too was open at Sakaleshpur. I never observed Adithya and didn't go until Kalladka as I drove towards Puttur from Uppinangadi. The only hotel that was open beyond Gundya is the one where KSRTC Sarige buses stop (near Nellyadi). They had outside seating arrangements. Meanwhile it was just business as usual at Puttur. There were no signs of any pandemic situation. Every possible business was open and the narrow streets of the town was filled with people as usual

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 4th August 2020 at 19:59.
Old 4th August 2020, 21:09   #8418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Laxmi at Kalladka is open but the usual crowd is missing.
Old 5th August 2020, 20:41   #8419
BHPian

Just for information.. Charmadi is closed as of now. There is a landslide near 6th curve of the ghat.
_chikku is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 22:31   #8420
Distinguished - BHPian

Bisile was closed today. We were not allowed to cross the checkpost due to a tree fall.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20200806_132004.jpg

We were around this area today for a short drive and it has been raining extremely heavily (even now) since morning. The one above was a local cab (Vanganoor written on windscreen) and still he wasn't let to pass means the roads were indeed blocked here.

Hassan Sakleshpur is in shambles, with large to very large potholes. Avoid night driving in this section altogether. Day itself was difficult to maneuver the bad roads.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 14:45   #8421
Distinguished - BHPian

I took the Shiradi route yesterday(Banfalore-Mangalore-Bangalore), the concrete stretch is excellent, however either side of this stretch is not in a great shape. There were some mega sized potholes which even the truckers were trying to avoid and it was causing traffic jams. At some places, just when you think that road is good and increase the speed you will stumble upon a pothole. So, we will have to be very cautious in this stretch. Here are some pics from my dashcam,

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-ed10.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-ed9.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-ed8.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 15:15   #8422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I took the Shiradi route yesterday(Banfalore-Mangalore-Bangalore), the concrete stretch is excellent, however either side of this stretch is not in a great shape. There were some mega sized potholes which even the truckers were trying to avoid and it was causing traffic jams. At some places, just when you think that road is good and increase the speed you will stumble upon a pothole. So, we will have to be very cautious in this stretch. Here are some pics from my dashcam,
Thanks Arun. I am planning to take this route on 11th aug, travelling from Chennai to Kerala (Kasargod). The plan is to touch Bangalore Nice road and head straight towards Neelamangala and enter NH 75.

I was having bit of concern regarding Shirdi ghat section. Thanks for providing the latest information. Hope the rest of the route is quite fine.
Old 9th August 2020, 17:51   #8423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Hope the rest of the route is quite fine.
Yes, nothing to be worried about the 4L stretch.

As mentioned by parag, it is better to do Hassan - Mangalore in day light. Or you should be extra cautious.

Last edited by arun_josie : 9th August 2020 at 17:53.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:58   #8424
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I posted here. My parents who are currently here with me in Bangalore need to get down to Mangalore. Both are 70+ and are recovering from Cancer (hence high risk individuals in the COVID-19 scenario). Due to this, taking a flight is not a good idea (closed recirculated air with a 100+ other people). So next option is by road.

They are keen on taking a taxi (which I consider another risk in itself, with an unknown driver and cab) and do not want me to drop them (all because I would have to return alone... no matter how old one grows, they are still a kid in their parents' eyes).

So while the mode of travel is being debated had two questions:

1. Current state of the route. Esp. Shiradi (with news like this).

2. Decent stopping point on the way. For years we have been regulars at A2B, Udayapura (near Channarayapattana), after it came in opposite Kamat (that was our stop earlier). The main reason for stopping would be for restroom facilities (not so much food that can be carried from home). I would like a place less frequented (cleanliness being secondary) simply to reduce the risk of COVID again!

Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Old 10th August 2020, 12:59   #8425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
1. Current state of the route. Esp. Shiradi (with news like this).
Shiradi still should be the choice given that Charmadi is narrow and prone to more landslides than Shiradi and is uncertain. If driven during the day, this can be tackled.

Quote:
2. Decent stopping point on the way. For years we have been regulars at A2B, Udayapura (near Channarayapattana), after it came in opposite Kamat (that was our stop earlier). The main reason for stopping would be for restroom facilities (not so much food that can be carried from home). I would like a place less frequented (cleanliness being secondary) simply to reduce the risk of COVID again!
We stopped at Mayura during our onward and at Swati Delicacy during return last Thursday.

At both these places, rest rooms were clean (and have been clean too). However, the staff wore face shields and disposable gloves all the times, along with masks to cover their mouth. There was Temperatur check at the entrance too. Both these places took orders and served in the car or at the outside.

I expect the same with many other popular places enroute in both directions too not only because they would want to play safe but also because everyone would want to fare better than the other when it comes to maintaining hygiene and best practices because during these times, if not good food, this is what is going to attract customers.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 13:16   #8426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
TI was having bit of concern regarding Shirdi ghat section.
Shiradi, not Shirdi. Shirdi is in MH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
We stopped at Mayura during our onward and at Swati Delicacy during return last Thursday.

At both these places, rest rooms were clean (and have been clean too).
I think these two places are relatively safe, because they maintained very good cleanliness before the pandemic and have been doing it for years and even decades in case of Mayura. Any restaurant that kept their toilets very clean before the pandemic would have high sense of hygiene and would have practiced it in every aspect of the operation. Those who didn't do it before, would mostly resort to eyewash even now.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 13:26   #8427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
They are keen on taking a taxi (which I consider another risk in itself, with an unknown driver and cab) and do not want me to drop them (all because I would have to return alone... no matter how old one grows, they are still a kid in their parents' eyes).
I'd say dropping them yourself is the safest option. Returning alone should not be an issue if you are comfortable with it.

If there is no urgent need to travel this week, would suggest waiting for a few days. DK and Sakleshpur have seen heavy rain and that is predicted to taper off in the next few days. I'm in Mangalore right now, ready to head back home to Bangalore, but am going to wait for a few days of no rain before starting off. But like others have said, even with the rain, Shiradi is very doable during the day.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 07:56   #8428

I will be traveling from Bangalore to Udupi and back this weekend. Request folks to help me with the following two questions :
1) my route options are Hiriyur - Tirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Udupi OR Hassan - Belur - Charmadi - Ujire - Karla - Udupi. Yes, I want to skip Shiradi despite Google showing this as the fastest;
2) Between the Skoda Octavia and Ford EcoSport, which one is ideal, given the road conditions after the rain.
Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 17:45   #8429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant Shenoi View Post
I will be traveling from Bangalore to Udupi and back this weekend. Request folks to help me with the following two questions
1. Charmady is open between 7AM - 7PM for LMVs.

2. I would prefer Ecosport, considering the road situation after heavy rains.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 18:18   #8430
BHPian

I traveled from BLR to Udupi on 7th and back on 10th.
Took Shiradi route and it was in very good condition with not more than 5kms of rough patch here and there.

I would recommend this route being peak monsoon.
livyodream is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks