Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2020, 16:34   #8476
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by viju_bubli View Post
Hi

kindly let me know whether should I opt for Tamil Nadu Goverment's E-Pass for us to return back to chennai from manipal.

Also let me know if any quarantine rule will be applied to us in both Karnataka as well as in Tamilnadu?
There is no quarantine needed in KA as well as TN. No pass is needed to enter KA.

Just only check if you need any kind of pass to enter back TN, I am not sure about that.
Old 17th September 2020, 18:26   #8477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viju_bubli View Post
kindly let me know whether should I opt for Tamil Nadu Goverment's E-Pass for us to return back to chennai from manipal.
The epass is required to enter TN as per a friend of mine who left for Chennai yesterday. Only 4W are checked at the entry but 2W are let through without any checks. There are no check posts in KA as such now.

Last edited by unk9ja : 17th September 2020 at 18:27.
Old 20th September 2020, 11:15   #8478

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Did a Bangalore - Udupi run through Agumbe yesterday and the drive was absolutely fantastic. The route I took: Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikkamagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Hebri - Udupi.

The roads were fantastic. The only small patches of bad roads were inside the Chikkamagalur town and just before entering Manipal. There was hardly any traffic anywhere. Observed few small landslides between Balehonnur - Sringeri. Agumbe ghat is in pristine condition. Just encountered couple of Agumbe Sarige buses in the opposite direction but otherwise there was absolutely no traffic in the ghat.

Started from Bangalore at 4 AM and reached Udupi at 12:30 PM with a half hour break at Sringeri.

It was indeed a good decision by you. I had to drive to Sullia from Udupi last evening and it was a nightmare experience. Udupi - Panambur was great but started encountering frequent water logging with deep potholes between Panambur - Mangalore. It then took a whopping 1.5 hours to drive from Mangalore to Mani. Mangalore - BC road had frequent barricades which created mini traffic jams. BC road to Mani was pathetic and I heard it’s the same between Mani - Nelyadi too. Even truckers were avoiding a lots of monster potholes in this stretch. It was almost like driving on a paddy field. Its best to avoid Mangalore - Gundya stretch. The heavy rains since last week have made the matters only worse.
Just did a round trip from manipal to bangalore. On the onward journey I went through mangalore - BC road -Nelyadi- Shiradi which was a nightmare. The roads were terrible and it was really stressful to find some decent patches of tarmac to plan an overtake without hitting a pothole.

Before I drove back, I saw your post and tried the route you took. I cannot thank you enough for this, it was a really enjoyable drive and the experience was far better.
Mechano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:15   #8479
Team-BHP Support

We were planning to drive back from Udupi to Bangalore today. But the non-stop rains since yesterday changed our mind. Today Kalsanka is flooded, which means the path between Manipal and Udupi is also shut off. Mangalore is flooded in many places. We have postponed the trip by few days until the fury of rain goes down.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 13:18   #8480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We were planning to drive back from Udupi to Bangalore today. But the non-stop rains since yesterday changed our mind. Today Kalsanka is flooded, which means the path between Manipal and Udupi is also shut off. Mangalore is flooded in many places. We have postponed the trip by few days until the fury of rain goes down.

And we have a Blore-Udupi planned for Tuesday. Do you think its a good idea to push it forward by a few days?
Old 20th September 2020, 13:23   #8481
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, many places in-between will be flooded until rain stops and water recedes. Don't try the 400kms trip right now. I usually love driving in rain, since my fulltime 4WD GV handle most challenging roads. But flooded roads are no joke, getting stranded in between is a real possibility.
Old 20th September 2020, 14:27   #8482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But the non-stop rains since yesterday changed our mind. Today Kalsanka is flooded, which means the path between Manipal and Udupi is also shut off.
Saw this on Twitter and was surprised to see so much of water. My friends at Manipal were saying that the rains are pouring at their best. This looks like Kalsanka. Urban Flooding is not a myth anymore. It's present everywhere.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 20th September 2020 at 14:29.
Old 20th September 2020, 14:39   #8483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Saw this on Twitter and was surprised to see so much of water. My friends at Manipal were saying that the rains are pouring at their best. This looks like Kalsanka. Urban Flooding is not a myth anymore. It's present everywhere.
Yes, the 4-lane road between MGM to City bus stand is mostly flooded. This is extremely rare, last time was 40 years ago they say.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 14:45   #8484
BHPian

Do you know if its just Udupi district or is it the same in DK as well? Is the Shiradi-Uppinangadi-Mlore section getting pounded as well?
Old 20th September 2020, 14:53   #8485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We weren't allowed to enter towards Kuduremukha from Kalasa today. So returned back towards Kalasa and now at Hassan.

Rains have been pounding since yesterday and non stop. My car's wipers were on 2nd speed till Hassan. Kottigehara was so windy that I saw few plates fly and a board come down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Do you know if its just Udupi district or is it the same in DK as well? Is the Shiradi-Uppinangadi-Mlore section getting pounded as well?
The whole region is under massive rain cover.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th September 2020 at 14:54.
Old 20th September 2020, 22:07   #8486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
We weren't allowed to enter towards Kuduremukha from Kalasa today. So returned back towards Kalasa and now at Hassan.
Are you planning to resume your journey tomorrow? If yes, do share your experience.

I have more or less pushed my Tue drive to next weekend but if water levels recede tomorrow, i might give it a shot.
Old 21st September 2020, 07:26   #8487
BHPian

Did a round trip on Saturday to Bangalore - Belthangady via Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shirady - Dharmasthala - Ujire.
Surprised to see most of the eateries are open and crowded as well. We never tried any as we took packed food from home.
About the road condition,
Bangalore - Hassan - All good as usual
Hassan - Shirady - It's a mix of good and very bad stretch. We have to be very careful in some turns.
Shirady ghat section in very good shape.
Shirady - SH37 diversion - Again some very bad stretches.
SH37 diversion - Dharmasthala - Belthangady - It's a in a good shape.

We have to be very careful if driving during night or in rain.
Old 21st September 2020, 10:40   #8488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
Just did a round trip from manipal to bangalore. On the onward journey I went through mangalore - BC road -Nelyadi- Shiradi which was a nightmare. The roads were terrible and it was really stressful to find some decent patches of tarmac to plan an overtake without hitting a pothole.

Before I drove back, I saw your post and tried the route you took. I cannot thank you enough for this, it was a really enjoyable drive and the experience was far better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
Did a round trip on Saturday to Bangalore - Belthangady via Hassan - Sakleshpur - Shirady - Dharmasthala - Ujire.
Surprised to see most of the eateries are open and crowded as well. We never tried any as we took packed food from home.
About the road condition,
Bangalore - Hassan - All good as usual
Hassan - Shirady - It's a mix of good and very bad stretch. We have to be very careful in some turns.
Shirady ghat section in very good shape.
Shirady - SH37 diversion - Again some very bad stretches.
SH37 diversion - Dharmasthala - Belthangady - It's a in a good shape.

We have to be very careful if driving during night or in rain.
Planning on a Kannur - Mangalore - Bangalore - Kannur trip this week. Need some help with the route, as I have never traveled between the two cities. The possible route options are:

1. Mangalore - Shiradi - Hassan - Bangalore. Google maps suggested route.
2. Mangalore - Mudigere - Tiptur - Tumkur - Bangalore
3. Mangalore - Chikmagaluru - Hiriyur - Tumkur - Bangalore
4. Mangalore - Madikeri - Mysore - Bangalore

Which of these is preferable?

Last edited by Aditya : 21st September 2020 at 22:14. Reason: As requested
Old 29th September 2020, 10:52   #8489
BHPian

Did anyone drove to Udupi/Mangalore last weekend? My friend is planning to drive from Bangalore to Udupi tomorrow. Which is the preferred route: via shiradi or charmadi? How is the conditions of road via shiradi?
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 23:54   #8490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Did anyone drove to Udupi/Mangalore last weekend? My friend is planning to drive from Bangalore to Udupi tomorrow. Which is the preferred route: via shiradi or charmadi? How is the conditions of road via shiradi?
Did Mangalore to Bangalore yesterday via Shiradi. Road conditions are bad from b c road circle towards the ghat at various places. Later sakaleshpur to Hassan has its own set of bad and dusty roads. I'm not sure of the charmadi road conditions but Shiradi route is in tatters. Also traffic cops are stationed at various places beginning from the ghats till Hassan.

Most Viewed