Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 11:01   #8686
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Did Bangalore Kundapura on 10th and mostly concur to what Parag has mentioned above . However the devotees walking down the ghat at Charmadi made it challenging and of course there was ample litter on the side of the road. The road repair work is going on around Kotigehara. But the ghat road of Charmadi was SUPER.

From the base of the ghat to Ujire and G'kere progress is not as fast as I thought as the roads are winding, surface is not that smooth and traffic is a bit more. Thereafter to Bajagoly, Belman and Padubidri road is good and wide, unfortunately marred by frequent and regular rumbling strips.

The coastal 4 lane is good but it's not like Old NH4, in the sense that there is a lot of 2/3 wheelers, frequent breaks in the divider and barricades before each break. So average does come down.

I did the 468 Kms in 9 hours driving very sedately and with a couple of stops.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 18:03   #8687
Team-BHP Support

I drove up from Manipal to Bangalore on March 7th, and I too had to deal with foot pilgrims from Ujire to Hassan. But we in the car felt their pain was much more, we saw so many out of shape people limping and struggling along. Only their faith kept them going.

After a long time I also had to deal with Sunday traffic nearing Bangalore, which is quite bad. I am going to avoid sunday returns in the future.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 09:33   #8688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
and I too had to deal with foot pilgrims from Ujire to Hassan.
When I drove to Kundapura and beyond on March 3rd, certainly the number of pilgrims right from Bangalore all the way till Ujire were high. This was on Channarayapatna bypass on 3rd:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img_20210303_070450.jpg

However, we did not encounter much of them once we were on Charmadi ghats. In fact, when I drove to Kalasa last Saturday, they were even less between Belur and Kottigehara perhaps because it was already sunny too by the time I was crossing this section.

Quote:
But we in the car felt their pain was much more, we saw so many out of shape people limping and struggling along. Only their faith kept them going.
A colleague's father has been part of these walking pilgrimage to Dharmasthala since more than 2 decades and he is also now an active office bearer of the association that manages this from Bangalore. In the year 2018 I had helped their group with an accommodation between Belur and Mudigere. I was told that they normally start walking between 0400 till about 0900 and again in the evening after 1700 till 2000. The rest of the time is when they simply settle down at whatever facilities are provided by the locals or those that they have arranged themselves.

I also learnt from him that this year 4 pilgrims lost their lives on Charmadi when a Tempo Traveler hit them. When I checked for the news, it says 12 were injured (Tempo Traveler bit is true) but none died.

Quote:
Twelve pilgrims from Arakere in Hassan district were injured after being hit by a tempo traveller near Charmadi on Sunday afternoon.

According to the Belthangady traffic police, the pilgrims were walking (on their padayatra) to Dharmasthala as part of their vow for Shivaratri. Near the second turn of the Charmadi Ghat, the driver of the tempo traveller is said to have lost control of the vehicle and hit the retaining wall. The tempo traveller was also bringing pilgrims to Dharmasthala.

The 12 pilgrims walking on the roadside and a few persons inside the tempo traveller were injured. One of the pilgrims, who fractured his hand, was taken to a private hospital.
Source

Also, what I had noticed is that while most (if not all) of the walkers wear reflective aprons/waistcoats, they would be walking on the left side of the road which is quite a dangerous trend.

Quote:
After a long time I also had to deal with Sunday traffic nearing Bangalore, which is quite bad. I am going to avoid sunday returns in the future.
This is to true. Weekend returns, especially after 1600 hours is becoming extremely painful. Last Sunday, I returned from Kalasa and was at Nelamangala at 1545 and could already imagine how the scenes would be in the next 2 hours including the fact that most of the eateries en-route were full of parked cars!!

Look at the parking lot on the highway that also has restaurants on both sides

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th March 2021 at 09:40.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 09:50   #8689
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I was told that they normally start walking between 0400 till about 0900 and again in the evening after 1700 till 2000. The rest of the time is when they simply settle down at whatever facilities are provided by the locals or those that they have arranged themselves.
They aren't strictly following these timings. I crossed Ujire at 1:40pm, and started seeing them right away. After that it was non-stop until Hassan, which we crossed by 4:45pm. So, they were are all walking in blistering sun, on hot tar road, some were even walking bare foot.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 09:53   #8690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They aren't strictly following these timings. I crossed Ujire at 1:40pm, and started seeing them right away. After that it was non-stop until Hassan, which we crossed by 4:45pm. So, they were are all walking in blistering sun, on hot tar road, some were even walking bare foot.
Yes but what I will as referring to is about organisations that are serious into this and have been doing this regularly would stick to their timings and be efficient too.

There are a lot such groups represented by so many organisations from across the state, few even having standard set of uniform and safety jackets and ID cards and tagging along with them would be cars or LCVs carrying their baggage and other essentials to help them.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 12:08   #8691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Drive report: Bangalore - Kundapura

I did a super longish drive picking a weekday on a Wednesday.
Great updates there...1200 kms in a day
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:30   #8692
BHPian

I need to travel to Mangalore from Bangalore and return the same day. Any update on the Charmady Route Padayatris? That should be over right? And do these ghat sections have any restrictions post-sunset?
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:34   #8693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
Any update on the Charmady Route Padayatris?
The event should have got over by now
Quote:
And do these ghat sections have any restrictions post-sunset?
No restrictions on Charmadi 24X7.
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:46   #8694

Had travelled from Karkala to Bangalore and back on 14th of March.

Left Karkala at 6:15AM, reached bangalore at 1.30PM. Completed some chores here and started back at 3.30PM and reached karkala by 10PM.

We took Charmady route because of the road condition. Good roads all along barring some small sections in between.
Did not find any padayatris throughout the journey. Hope that helps
Shrix458 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 14:30   #8695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The event should have got over by now No restrictions on Charmadi 24X7.
I read about a week ago that Charmadi has been opened for heavy vehicles now. Not sure of the exact date of resumption.
Old 24th March 2021, 14:39   #8696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I read about a week ago that Charmadi has been opened for heavy vehicles now. Not sure of the exact date of resumption.
As per this report, indeed it is open for heavy vehicles from March 17:

Charmadi Ghat opened for a few heavy vehicles

Quote:
The KSRTC buses (normal), six-wheel lorries, tempo travellers, ambulances, cars, jeeps, minivans and two-wheelers will be allowed on the Charmadi Ghat.
They also mention this about long chassis and multi-axle trucks though:

Quote:
Deputy Commissioner K N Ramesh said that the movement of bullet tankers, ship cargo containers, long chassis vehicles, trucks, multi-axle trucks, KSRTC Rajahamsa and heavy-loaded goods vehicles have been banned.
Old 24th March 2021, 14:52   #8697
Team-BHP Support

Ah, so the smooth traffic honeymoon of the last few months on charmady ghat will come to any end.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 20:37   #8698
BANNED

What is the fastest way to reach Thirtha-halli frm Mysore?

I understand this thread is mostly for the Bangalore to Mangalore/Udupi route, but nonetheless posting here as i did not see any relevant thread.

Note: Preference to tolled roads over single carriageway. Will be with elderlies, hence the preference to N.H

Final destination is This1, if some can advise better.

Last edited by Rama Kumara : 28th March 2021 at 20:39.
Rama Kumara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 15:06   #8699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Kumara View Post
What is the fastest way to reach Thirtha-halli frm Mysore?

I understand this thread is mostly for the Bangalore to Mangalore/Udupi route, but nonetheless posting here as i did not see any relevant thread.

Note: Preference to tolled roads over single carriageway. Will be with elderlies, hence the preference to N.H

Final destination is This1, if some can advise better.
Try the Bangalore-Hiriyur-Tarikere-Shimoga-ThirthaHalli route. Roads are in very good condition.
Bangalore-Hiriyur is tolled highway. Hiriyur-Tarikere and beyond is two lane carriage way and is in good nick.

Google will suggest a slightly shorter route through Bhadra Dam, even that route is in good condition, but roads from Tarikere till you rejoin the Shimoga-Udupi highway is a bit narrow. I had taken this road last August.
Old 29th March 2021, 15:58   #8700
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Rama Kumara - Considering elderly folks, try stopping near Hassan to refresh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks