Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2021, 16:04   #8701
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Kumara View Post
What is the fastest way to reach Thirtha-halli frm Mysore?

Note: Preference to tolled roads over single carriageway. Will be with elderlies, hence the preference to N.H
Well, there is no NH or 4-lane for you in these routes.

Google throws up two options. But the fastest option also has lots of twisting roads, even my family refuses to travel in that route. I suggest you take the second fastest route marked in blue. It has no ghat roads.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-map.bmp.jpg
Old 29th March 2021, 16:07   #8702
BHPian

Quote:
I had taken Mysore - Channaraya pattana - Arasikere - Tarikere - BRP - Thirthahalli in 2018. Roads were good throughout. Don't know about current condition. There is about 5km stretch which is very narrow just before you cross Tunga river, just be attentive, rest all good.The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-screenshot_20210329213201.jpg

Last edited by nandrive : 29th March 2021 at 16:13.
nandrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 20:50   #8703
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Try the Bangalore-Hiriyur-Tarikere-Shimoga-ThirthaHalli route. Roads are in very good condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
@ Rama Kumara - Considering elderly folks, try stopping near Hassan to refresh.
the starting point in the query is mysore, not bangalore
Old 29th March 2021, 21:07   #8704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Drive till Hassan and from here better to take Hassan - Hagare - Halebidu (Or Hassan Saligrama Halebidu is also good) - Banavara - Kadur - Tarikere. The advantage with this that you wont have to drive on and on over never ending twisty sections after Chikmagalur on Belehonnur route.
  • Mysore to Elwala where you turn off for KR Nagar is patchy (you will know)
  • Elwala to Hassan you can refer this post for the update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  • KR Nagar - Hassan : Good. Bit patchy for the initial part but gets a fresh layer all the way, soon after
  • Little bit of roadwork in Holenarasipura town
  • Small patch of bad road between Holenarasipura and Hangarahalli
  • Holenarasipura to Hassan is now mostly 4 lane (Marking pending)
  • Hassan - Hagare- Halebidu - Banavara: Remains good

Whatever the case be, DO NOT TAKE Hassan KR Pet Channarayapatna route that is in bad state as of now.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 12:55   #8705
Team-BHP Support

I heard there is a lone tusker blocking traffic on Charmadi ghat since couple days, forcing the vehicles to wait for turn back.

https://publictv.in/wild-elephant-sp...hikkamagaluru/

What is the latest update on this? Should I take a different route this weekend?

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd April 2021 at 12:57.
Old 2nd April 2021, 20:06   #8706
Senior - BHPian

Today I did a Bengaluru Udupi run. The route taken was BG road - Nelamangala - CR Patna - Holenarsipura - Arkalgudu - Shanivarasanthe - Koodu rasthe - Bisle - Vanagoor - Uppinangadi - Mangaluru - Udupi.
Started at 0600 from BG road Nice road junction and reached Udupi at 1530 with a breakfast break at Mayura, Bellur cross, sometime at Bisle view point and lunch break at Ullas restaurant in Panemangaluru.
Road conditions were good to excellent barring a couple of places first a small detour at Arakalgudu and another after Bisle where concrete road was being constructed. Nothing to worry about in any sort of car you are in, it can be easily taken.
The Bisle has a couple of kilometers where the road is being constructed but the ground is firm and flat unlike yesteryears where it was stewn with stones.
I was stopped just after Vanagoor for a routine check by Traffic police who were courteous and well behaved. A Namaskara to start and Thank you to end the small conversation we had.
Breakfast at Mayura and lunch at Ullas were excellent. Ullas was a new find today and I would highly recommend for a pure veg experience to tag Adithya in Uppinangadi. Since Adithya was full, we carried on to Ullas today. Google location here
https://maps.app.goo.gl/V4UisiA33TWZnfbJ7
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:14   #8707
Senior - BHPian

Today morning, I started back to Bengaluru from Udupi. Took Udupi - Mangaluru - Gundya - Shiradi - Sakleshpura - Hassan - CR Patna - Kunigal - Nelamangala - Bengaluru route.
Started at 0510 from Udupi and had a fuel stop at MRPL outlet in Mangaluru.
An hour after we left Mangaluru, the road was blocked due to an accident for around 30 minutes. The roads are butter smooth till the concert stretch with occasionally patched up stretch in between which are not of any concern.
The concrete stretch remains excellent as ever. The Sakleshpura Hassan was a pleasant surprise with lot of patched up surfaces and deviations which are also not a big concern as thought by me. The last stretch from Alur to Hassan has potholes stewn and needs to be driven with a bit of concentration.
The Hassan Bengaluru again is a breeze barring the second toll which still had issues with tag detection.
We had breakfast at Surabhi Delicacy after Sakleshpura for the first time. Nothing to complain about the food as it is usual fare. But this facility had charger for EV.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20210405wa0021.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20210405wa0022.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-img20210405wa0023.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 19:49   #8708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, there is no NH or 4-lane for you in these routes.

Google throws up two options. But the fastest option also has lots of twisting roads, even my family refuses to travel in that route. I suggest you take the second fastest route marked in blue. It has no ghat roads.

Attachment 2138308
Used the same route last Thursday and continued to Kundapur via Agumbe. Excellent/good roads with not lot of twisties like the other road (except Agumbe ghat). Only thing to be careful is empty roads with occasional on coming vehicles especially from Lakkavalli (near Bhadra Dam) till you join the Shivmogga - Udupi NH.
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 00:37   #8709
BHPian

Did a Bangalore - Mangalore trip this weekend. Took the Shirady route.

Hassan to Sakleshpur - lots of work being done (i guess progress has been very slow). This will eventually be a divided 4 lane concrete stretch. But right now, there are a lot of pathetic stretches in multiple places. Lot of unmarked diversions near Alur. I saw a truck-trailer who presumably went of course and was hanging on a under construction pillar !!. Need to be careful during the night.

No issues on the rest of the stretches. Lot of Barricades though near BC Road / Bantwal.

We stopped at Anagha Grand near Channarayapatna for breakfast / lunch on both directions. Decent food and lot of parking space (compared to other joints like Swathi Delicacy or Dhruvathaare which always seem crowded).
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 18:05   #8710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Did a Bangalore - Mangalore trip this weekend. Took the Shirady route.

Hassan to Sakleshpur - lots of work being done (i guess progress has been very slow). This will eventually be a divided 4 lane concrete stretch. But right now, there are a lot of pathetic stretches in multiple places. Lot of unmarked diversions near Alur. I saw a truck-trailer who presumably went of course and was hanging on a under construction pillar !!. Need to be careful during the night.
How long is this bad stretch of roads. Also is it back breaking bad or manageable in a sedan at low speeds?
Old 17th April 2021, 04:20   #8711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
How long is this bad stretch of roads. Also is it back breaking bad or manageable in a sedan at low speeds?
The entire Hassan to Sakleshpur stretch (about 50km) has bad patches. Can definitely be done in a sedan. I had done the same route in September last year and since then, some of the bigger craters seem to have been patched up.
loki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 09:55   #8712
Team-BHP Support

I traveled Udupi-Bangalore on 13th via Ujire-Shirady route. The traffic was practically non-existent all the way home. Did 406kms in 6h:45m driving time, plus 30 minute break at Mayura. One alarming fact, although Covid19 situation is getting bad, the Mayura staff have stopped wearing masks. I wonder why? I had never seen them without it since the pandemic started.

The roads are in excellent shape except for the stretch between Sakleshpur and Hassan, which is understandable because of the 4-lane construction. Didn't matter much to me since I drive a SUV built for such roads, and it devoured the bad roads easily despite being 13+ years old.

I remember the entire Hassan-Bangalore being that way 10 years ago when 4-lane was being constructed. Thanks to GV I survived the bi-monthly trips those days without losing my mind.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 12:31   #8713
BHPian

A group of 4 friends are planning a trip from Goa to Udupi coming Sunday. Any good sight-seeing suggestions enroute would be great? The plan is to depart by 6 AM.

Also, good eateries to consider would help too!

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

It's been really long time since I have travelled down south; so I don't have much idea about the latest developments there. I just heard that the roads are really good off-late & people have made it to Mangalore from Goa in a record 5 hrs!!

We're planning to take the following route (KARWAR-GOKARNA-MURUDESHWAR) as it seems to be the fastest as per Google.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-udupi.png

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 18th April 2021 at 12:39.
Old 18th April 2021, 13:19   #8714
BHPian

NH-66 road is good and traffic is generally less. As for eateries, below are some I had planned during my trip: Kamat/ CCD just before Ankola town, a Kamat in Honnavar, and a CCD in Trasi / Kundapura area. I'm listing only the ones which are "strategically" located during a drive and not every restaurant ...
ccnarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:11   #8715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
A group of 4 friends are planning a trip from Goa to Udupi coming Sunday. Any good sight-seeing suggestions enroute would be great? The plan is to depart by 6 AM.

Also, good eateries to consider would help too!

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

It's been really long time since I have travelled down south; so I don't have much idea about the latest developments there. I just heard that the roads are really good off-late & people have made it to Mangalore from Goa in a record 5 hrs!!

We're planning to take the following route (KARWAR-GOKARNA-MURUDESHWAR) as it seems to be the fastest as per Google.

Attachment 2145608
Roads are good except for Karwar-Kumta stretch where there is construction happening. Its still pretty decent. You can easily do in 5hrs if starting from south Goa.

For food, you can consider Tamra a newly opened restaurant just before Bhatkal. Panduranga international in Kumta will fill you stomach. Post Kundapur there are many options. Try Cutlet/Goli Baje at Vijaya cafe Padubidri, if heading to Mangalore.

Coming from Goa beaches may not be exciting, though you can try Kasarkod beach which is a blue flag beach. There is also sharavathi mangrove forest board walk near Honnavar. Apsarakonda falls/temple can be visited though don't expect water in Summer. Delta view point in Kundapur is decent place to visit. Other than beaches and temples, I cant think of many other options to visit.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks