Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2021, 20:31   #8806
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
It is open till 7pm for light traffic and case to case basis they allow post 7pm.
Today I took Shiradi ghat to travel from Udupi to Bangalore. All traffic except trucks are allowed.

However, if you are travelling towards Sakleshpur, they divert the traffic as shown below. It adds roughly 15kms to the trip. But it is a very scenic, slow & narrow road. But it is mostly concrete, in very good condition.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-fullscreen-capture-31072021-202749.bmp.jpg

I don't know what they do for cars travelling towards mangalore. I didn't see any oncoming traffic while I was driving in the diversion.

Edit: Just found out that the traffic towards mangalore is sent via Bisle ghat.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st July 2021 at 20:43.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 20:45   #8807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't know what they do for cars travelling towards mangalore........ Edit: Just found out that the traffic towards mangalore is sent via Bisle ghat.
Just travelled from Bangalore to Puttur (around 40 km before Mangalore).
Yes, after Sakleshpur got diverted to the Bisle ghat route, followed GPS and reached Puttur in 8 hours with a half hour break.
Bisle ghat road is in good condition, but narrow almost throughout the ghats. Lucky not have seen any traffic jams and fallen trees !
mooza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:12   #8808
Senior - BHPian

Any changes to intra district travel guidelines? I need to get back to bangalore from udupi this week and hearing about some restrictions/checks for coastal districts
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:53   #8809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Any changes to intra district travel guidelines? I need to get back to bangalore from udupi this week and hearing about some restrictions/checks for coastal districts
I think that's specific to only state borders of Kerala and Maharashtra in Karnataka.

Even I am planning a drive to Mangalore next week, I dont think this checking will be applicable to BLR-MLR.

https://www.daijiworld.com/news/news...?newsID=859150
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:53   #8810
BHPian

Quote:
Today I took Shiradi ghat to travel from Udupi to Bangalore. All traffic except trucks are allowed.

However, if you are travelling towards Sakleshpur, they divert the traffic as shown below. It adds roughly 15kms to the trip. But it is a very scenic, slow & narrow road. But it is mostly concrete, in very good condition.
Thanks Samurai! We took this route from Mangalore to Bangalore yesterday after seeing your message.

The diversion route is quite scenic and once you reach SH27, the road is superb till it rejoins the main highway. There's a barricade and a policeman directing traffic at the diversion point. It added 30 minutes to the undiverted route overall.
gadiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:37   #8811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
RTPCR needed to enter Chikkamagalur district. Wont be surprised if Coorg district releases a similar notification soon.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dst.jpg
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:46   #8812
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
RTPCR needed to enter Chikkamagalur district. Wont be surprised if Coorg district releases a similar notification soon.
What if we are just passing through?
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:52   #8813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am guessing that that will be upto the Cops who are cheking at borders. Cops might look at car registration number and ask for proof that you are just traveling through CKM district. IMO this is a move to curb weekend toursit influx and shouldnt impact locals OR people traveling on business/personal reasons.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:43   #8814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2187845
Thanks, This must be district level decision since i did not come across any such official intra district guidelines at karnataka covid portal.

in my case i will be just passing through, mostly via Agumbe and have no plans of halting. I guess it will require some convincing as we will be at cops mercy. Will wait for further news.
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:19   #8815
BHPian

Quote:
Edit: Just found out that the traffic towards mangalore is sent via Bisle ghat.
Does anyone have the route map to Mangalore via Bisle ghat? Planning to travel on Friday from Bangalore.

Also does anyone know how's the route via Mysore-Madikeri?
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:28   #8816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
Does anyone have the route map to Mangalore via Bisle ghat? Planning to travel on Friday from Bangalore.

Also does anyone know how's the route via Mysore-Madikeri?
There are multiple options, shortest one is to take right at Gundya gate and proceed towards Bisle. There was some landslide/road cracks reported at Madenadu, but did not see any news about traffic closure.
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:57   #8817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
There are multiple options, shortest one is to take right at Gundya gate and proceed towards Bisle. There was some landslide/road cracks reported at Madenadu, but did not see any news about traffic closure.
This I guess for the drive to Bangalore. Read in another post that Hassan - Gorur - Bisle is one of the routes towards Mangalore. Any idea the conditions on this route?
Old 4th August 2021, 12:44   #8818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
Does anyone have the route map to Mangalore via Bisle ghat? Planning to travel on Friday from Bangalore ....

Here is the route I was diverted to from Sakleshpur while driving from Bangalore towards Puttur (near Mangalore) last Sunday:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sakl...54!2d12.709297

The 1st leg of Bangalore - Sakleshpur was without any problems.

The Bisle ghat drive was very scenic, with a lot of lovely waterfalls.

We have to be extra cautious while driving in Bisle ghat, as this is a narrow concrete road, with no barriers or protections on the outer edges of the ghat road curves. Also the road was quite foggy due to low hanging clouds during my drive.

From Bisle ghat to Mangalore, an option could be to proceed via Uppinangadi.

Last edited by mooza : 4th August 2021 at 13:01.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 13:12   #8819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
We have to be extra cautious while driving in Bisle ghat, as this is a narrow concrete road, with no barriers or protections on the outer edges of the ghat road curves. Also the road was quite foggy due to low hanging clouds during my drive.
This actually happen to me on Bisle ghat, I went to left to allow oncoming vehicles and my tyre fell out of the road.

See the drop off from the road.

Quote:
So far we hadn’t encountered any traffic in this road. All of a sudden I saw a Qualis and a Sumo coming from the opposite side. Those drivers showed no inclination to move to side and kept on coming. Therefore I moved slightly off the road, content to run one side wheels on the bushes on the side. I was not in any great speed considering I was running with my engine off, I was probably at 10kmph.

Suddenly…. Bam! The Jeep was not moving anymore and stuck at 30 degree angle. There was a wedge along the shoulder, like soil erosion caused by rain water. And the front left wheel had fallen into that wedge. We had fallen so smoothly, and our seat belts saved us from ramming our faces into the windshield. Then all of a sudden, I see people jumping out of the Sumo/Qualis, they come to us and hold on to the Jeep, to stop it from rolling away.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th August 2021 at 13:27.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 13:51   #8820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2187845
Quote:
I don't think this will be mandatory if you are just passing through. I learnt that this is being done especially to ensure homestay owners follow these guidelines for the guests who check-in and contain the spread. This had also come in several newspapers too:

Quote:
Reviewing the situation of Covid-19 in several districts of the state, Bommai also stated that resort - homestay bookings have to be done only after the mandatory procurement of negative RT-PCR reports not older than 72 hours.

"Resorts - homestay bookings have to be done only after the mandatory procurement of negative RT-PCR report not older than 72 hours," he said.
SOURCE

If they indeed are seeking RTPCR to enter the district then many routes to the coast will be out of bounds even for regular commuters who are just passing through the district. Charmadi, Kuduremukha, Sringeri/Agumbe all pass through Chikmagalur. In fact, someone drove via Charmadi to Bangalore only few hours back and reported no such blocks for checking.

Hence, till someone actually reports that every vehicle entering the district is stopped for RTPCR, I would still assume that for commute purpose this will not be an issue.

EDIT: Just managed to read the hazy image shared by RJ and as expected it is focussing on tourists visiting Chikmagalur districts and that rhymes well with what our CM has mentioned.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th August 2021 at 14:05.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed