Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 18:57   #871
Senior - BHPian

Prabhu, looks like this route is worth taking? just the travel time is gona be long. i did take this about a year back and i guess took about 11hrs...

Btw even i fill in "lady hill shell bunk" they are not crowded so get lots of importance..

@ star :hope the roads improve by that time.

Hoping for miracles
Old 28th August 2009, 21:13   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Prabhu, looks like this route is worth taking? just the travel time is gona be long. i did take this about a year back and i guess took about 11hrs...

Btw even i fill in "lady hill shell bunk" they are not crowded so get lots of importance..
Lohit, Belur to Mudigere is average, but Mudigere to Kalasa is poor roads. If you have the time to enjoy nature in full glory, worth taking this route.

You are right, the Shell bunk at Lady Hill is not crowded at all and they provide you good service.
Old 28th August 2009, 21:29   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Lohit, Belur to Mudigere is average, but Mudigere to Kalasa is poor roads. If you have the time to enjoy nature in full glory, worth taking this route.
Rightly said. If reaching your destination ASAP is the ultimate goal, this is not the route to take - specifically not Kottigehara - Kalasa.

Lohith, go via Madikeri. A colleague of mine just drive back from Puttur and said the bad patch is quite manageable.
Old 28th August 2009, 21:42   #874
Senior - BHPian

Presently am confused

Both Madikeri and Kudremukha root is lil longer.

Has anyone travelled via SHiradi & BC road?
Old 28th August 2009, 21:52   #875
BHPian

Guys please let us know the road condition of shiradi ghats if any of you have travelled on it. Am drving down to Mangalore on the 3rd.
Old 28th August 2009, 22:12   #876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Guys please let us know the road condition of shiradi ghats if any of you have travelled on it. Am drving down to Mangalore on the 3rd.
zteg even i might be driving on the same day to Mlore..

On SHiradi, i feel th ghat might be manageable but after gundya is what have heard that rads are lil bad at curves. This is the common scene every monsoon.

Also the BC road condition...
Old 28th August 2009, 22:13   #877
BHPian

I travelled via Shiradi ghat on my way back. Did not travel via BC Road. People known to me in Mangalore strictly advised to avoid this mess!!

I took the pumpwell - thokkottu - towards Mudipu - Melkar - join NH48 after the Nethravathi bridge at Bantwal.

NH48 from Melkar to Uppinangady is ok. But beyond Uppinangady starts to get worst. As you near Gundya, all the curves are badly damaged and slows down your speed.

Road condition on the ghat is bad and full of potholes. You will be driving at 10 to 20kmph speed. We started at 6.20am and reached Bangalore at 5.30pm.

I will try to update with pictures by tomorrow.
Old 28th August 2009, 22:33   #878
BHPian

Quote:
zteg even i might be driving on the same day to Mlore..

On SHiradi, i feel th ghat might be manageable but after gundya is what have heard that rads are lil bad at curves. This is the common scene every monsoon.

Also the BC road condition...
Hey Lohith, i will be starting most probably by 6 or 7AM. what time are you planning to start. Are u travelling in your Fiat. If yes I will look out for a Fiat adventure on the road

Thinking of taking chances on the Shiradi ghats this time. How about you?

Hey prabhu, kindly post the pics. It may change my mind
Old 28th August 2009, 22:50   #879
Senior - BHPian

hi zteg, yes will be taking my Adventure. Which car you will be driving?

Am confused man

Seems like all routes are messed up Prabhu/bull which route you guys prefer?
Old 28th August 2009, 23:01   #880
BHPian

Quote:
hi zteg, yes will be taking my Adventure. Which car you will be driving?
Hey Lohith, I will be driving my getz. Taking it home for the first time

Been following the thread for a while. Read the suggestions by most of the BHPians. But kind of scared to take those routes. Scared of loosing the way. Moreover, we cant expect what is going to come next. Atleast over the Shiradi or charmadi or Mysore routes, we know what to expect. I need to reach home as early as possible.
Old 29th August 2009, 09:17   #881
Senior - BHPian

Zteg, for me route via Kudremukha seems to be more viable, i have enjoyed this route. only that lots of twisty's and is longer....

Via Madikeri is not worth, Kushanagar.Sampaje ghat and after that horror on nh48.

on CHarmadi is a gamble....

guess i wil make up my mind by 2nd
Old 29th August 2009, 10:25   #882
BHPian

Quote:
on CHarmadi is a gamble....

guess i wil make up my mind by 2nd
Waiting for prabhu to post the pics. Will make up my mind then.
Old 29th August 2009, 11:15   #883
BHPian

Mangalore received heavy rainfall from 23rd Aug morning and even on the morning of 26th Aug it was raining. During our stay, there was almost non stop rain for 3 days. We decided to start early so that we reach Bangalore before the roads are clogged with evening traffic. Our plan was to start by 6.00AM, but could start at 6.20AM only. Rains had not stopped and it was drizzling. At pumpwell circle, we took the NH17 towards Ullal. Road is decent with a few potholes here and there, but not the type that will slow down your driving speed. At the Thokkottu junction, took a left turn towards Konaje. We have to drive past the Mangalore University, and you will see the Infosys campus on the right. When you see "Mudipu - 1km" stone sign mark, you will see a cross road on the left. One has to take this to reach NH48 at Melkar. As we were reaching this junction, i was surprised to see heavy fog in that area. Road is decent and since it was early morning, not much traffic.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-21.jpg

Melkar to Uppinangady stretch of NH48 is ok. I was surprised to see that the road is holding up well near the Uppinangady bridge. Last year this stretch had huge crators. We stopped for breakfast at Uppinangady (Hotel Aditya) on NH48 just after Uppinangady town. Time was around 8.15am. Had Idli Wada, Uppittu, Dosa and some excellent coffee. Food was good and with our stomach filled up, continued our journey. But after Uppinangady, the NH48 starts to deteriorate. There is no road on most of the curves and this slows down the speed significantly. Shiradi Ghat roads are no different. Roads are full of craters and washed away on most stretches. The concrete stretches are holding well. Maybe, concreting the entire Shiradi Ghat the only solution.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-22.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-23.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-24.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-25.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-26.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-27.jpg

Name:  Pic 28.JPG
Views: 1071
Size:  55.5 KB

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-29.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pic-30.jpg

....to be continued

Last edited by prabhusati : 29th August 2009 at 11:21.
Old 29th August 2009, 11:43   #884
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pics Prabhu...

Actually the roads dont look that bad! i guess am used to the road condition 2years back which was incomparable ! but hope the conditions dont get there!

As per the present condition i guess a hatch or a sedan with low sg can do it. only catch is you will drive slowly.
Old 29th August 2009, 11:49   #885
BHPian

Hey even I felt that the road is not all that bad. It is far better than what it was last year. Atleast now, there is something that we can call 'road'.

Prabhu, I know that route,. isnt it the same route that Ideal travels take from Mangalore to Bangalore. One of their buses have a pick up at konaje.

@Lohith, In case you are travelling via Shiradi and you see a real earth colour getz parked on the road with a person clicking pics of the road, then you can be sure that it is me

Last edited by zteg : 29th August 2009 at 11:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks