Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2021, 09:30   #8836

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Did a Bangalore-Mangalore on Sunday, 15th Aug. Initial plan was to take the Mysore Road-Sampaje however changed mind to stick to Charmadi. Good news is that the roads all along the way are easily drivable. In ghat section visibility was low due to fog. No checking done for any reports while entering Dakshina Kannada or Mangalore city.
Old 17th August 2021, 15:58   #8837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Right now there is no restriction. But the rules for 15th onwards is not yet declared.
Apparently no new restriction is announced. I have checked with the resort in Kundapura and they have confirmed that no restriction is there. A friend also checked with his colleague in Kundapura and did not receive any negative feedback. We plan to start our trip on Thursday, 19 August morning provided situation does not change drastically in the next 24 hours.

We plan to take Agumbe route. Can I just follow Google Map or anything else to be considered while taking Agumbe route?

Last edited by airbus : 17th August 2021 at 16:01.
Old 17th August 2021, 20:23   #8838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Apparently no new restriction is announced. I have checked with the resort in Kundapura and they have confirmed that no restriction is there. A friend also checked with his colleague in Kundapura and did not receive any negative feedback. We plan to start our trip on Thursday, 19 August morning provided situation does not change drastically in the next 24 hours.

We plan to take Agumbe route. Can I just follow Google Map or anything else to be considered while taking Agumbe route?
No restrictions in Kundapura as of today.
Agumbe is the final part of the route where you get down the hill. Which route are you planning to take till Agumbe? By default google will route you via Hassan - Belur, Chikmagalur/Aldur, Sringeri.
Agumbe ghat roads are in great condition, you might get fog or rain clouds on the top half of the climb down.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 21:10   #8839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Which route are you planning to take till Agumbe? By default google will route you via Hassan - Belur, Chikmagalur/Aldur, Sringeri.
Yes, we are planning to take the default route on Google map: Bengaluru - Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kundapura. We are two families on two vehicles, one TUV3OO and another XUV5OO. Hope this route will not put any challenges
Old 17th August 2021, 22:07   #8840
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, we are planning to take the default route on Google map: Bengaluru - Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Kundapura. We are two families on two vehicles, one TUV3OO and another XUV5OO. Hope this route will not put any challenges
Last Sunday I took the other alternative suggested by google through Hiriyur, Tarikere, Bhadra, Thirthahalli, Agumbe, Kundapura. It is longer in terms of distance and time taken.
I don't have the latest info on the road conditions of route via Chikmagalur. Last I drove was in January. Direct route as shown by Google between Belur and Aldur was not is good condition then. You can drive through Chikmagalur alternatively. Also map directs you through Hariharapura after Jayapura. You can drive through Sringeri instead.
Overall this route has lots of twisty sections, traffic would be sparse, beautiful views. So don't hurry and enjoy the drive. Plan your breaks in advance as the option for food and bio break are limited.
You can PM me if you have any questions. I will be in Kundapura till 22nd.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 07:46   #8841
BHPian

Looks like Shiradi ghat is open via Maranahalli for cars and other LMVs between 6am to 6pm.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le35935716.ece
Old 18th August 2021, 11:17   #8842
BHPian

Quote:
Hope this route will not put any challenges
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
Last I drove was in January. Direct route as shown by Google between Belur and Aldur was not is good condition then.
I usually take Bengaluru - Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Jayapura - Harihara - Agumbe - Kundapura route (As default suggested by Google maps).

Between Belur and Aldur roads are single line and have potholes in some places (near Gendhalli, Malahalli). However I prefer this route as compared to Chikmagaluru route. While Chikmagaluru route has wider roads, but full of traffic, and lot more potholes between Chikmagluru and Aldur.

Belur - Aldur route, google maps optimization (fast route) means it will ask you to drive non-existence road near Handi. Route is motor-able (marked in red, stretch is about 150 mtrs) or you can turn left , and make a sharp right in 100 mtrs (as marked in blue)
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-route.jpg

Route is in good conditions all the way (feedback from friend who traveled last week).
RaguHolla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 19:49   #8843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Looks like Shiradi ghat is open via Maranahalli for cars and other LMVs between 6am to 6pm.
Does this mean, NO detour required via Bisle? I have plans for traveling this weekend and so worried about taking our hatchback on Bisle route.
Old 20th August 2021, 07:00   #8844
BHPian

Have a travel coming up next week to Udupi (2 nights) and then Bhadra (2 nights).

BLR - Udupi

Have the usual GMap route in mind : Hassan > Belur > Aldur > Agumbe

Any suggestions from recent travellers - is there a better option ?

Which route has best roads with good ghat sections ? And also decent options for breaks and restrooms.

Udupi - Bhadra

Planning : Agumbe > Tirthahalli route

Will have a kid along, so don't want to get stuck anywhere on the way.
MG Hector DCT and just 3 of us.

Requesting expert advice
Old 20th August 2021, 19:23   #8845
BHPian

Did Mangalore to Bangalore today through Shirady ghat. No deviations to be taken on the ghat road. The road is pretty bad at the stretch where there was landslide.
Old 20th August 2021, 21:40   #8846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvmallya View Post
Did Mangalore to Bangalore today through Shirady ghat. No deviations to be taken on the ghat road. The road is pretty bad at the stretch where there was landslide.
Nice to know there are NO deviations on shiradi as I will be doing this route on this Sunday.

How is the stretch between Hassan > Sakleshpur? Hope it's better than the last run I did in March.
Old 20th August 2021, 21:45   #8847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Nice to know there are NO deviations on shiradi as I will be doing this route on this Sunday.

How is the stretch between Hassan > Sakleshpur? Hope it's better than the last run I did in March.
Sakleshpur to Hassan is good in parts where concreted. But the other sections are really bad due to rains.
Old 21st August 2021, 00:10   #8848
BHPian

Did MLR - BLR through Charmadi yesterday. Route is pretty good all through. It was raining on and off. Charmadi was very scenic with the rains and fog, looked like a dream. Currently, this is the best route if not in a hurry.
Old 21st August 2021, 15:12   #8849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Belur - Aldur route, google maps optimization (fast route) means it will ask you to drive non-existence road near Handi. Route is motor-able (marked in red, stretch is about 150 mtrs) or you can turn left , and make a sharp right in 100 mtrs (as marked in blue)
Attachment 2194749
Thanks for the info. Google also seems to be now showing the route marked in blue now, maybe keeping a tab on team-bhp.
Old 22nd August 2021, 22:15   #8850
Senior - BHPian

Returned to Bengaluru from Kundapura today. We took Shiradi ghat road and there was no diversion. Some sections were not good, but I did not face trouble in handling the bad sections with my TUV3OO.

For the onward trip from Bengaluru to Kundapura on 19 Aug, we took default route shown by Google via Agumbe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks