Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2021, 16:53   #8926
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Quick update on a late evening drive from Bangalore to Mangalore yesterday. Decided to take Shiradi as I was told Charmadi is closed at night.

Started at 6 PM from Banashankari and stopped for dinner at Anagha Grand just after Channarayapatna. It was a good choice as the food was fine and restrooms were clean. The nightmare started after Hassan with uneven roads and unmarked diversions until the concrete section. Hard to believe that it is a National Highway.

The roads beyond Gundya have surprisingly held up except for some occasional potholes on the way. I finally reached Mangalore by 1 AM. However, there was 2 KM long queue of trucks at Gundya, as they are not allowed to cross Shiradi at night.

I would say, if you are on a sedan/hatchback, probably better to avoid Shiradi as of now. Also, avoid reaching the ghat around 5-6 AM as you may encounter heavy lorry traffic.

Cheers
Rahulb22
I did three trips recently to Udupi. I took 3 different routes. Charmadi, Agumbe and Madikeri. All 3 routes are exceptionally good. I would still avoid Shiradi for few more months. On the return journey, I took Bisle Ghat to avoid Shiradi once and its very scenic as well.
chethan.ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 20:12   #8927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
On the return journey, I took Bisle Ghat to avoid Shiradi once and its very scenic as well.
What's the entry and exit point for 'Bisle Ghat' on Hassan <> Gundya section?
Old 24th September 2021, 22:49   #8928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What's the entry and exit point for 'Bisle Ghat' on Hassan <> Gundya section?
I had some work in Puttur. I entered Bisle via Subramanya and exited at Shanivarasante. I continued towards Arakalagud, Holenarsipura, Channarayapatna and joined Hassan - Bangalore Highway.

Last edited by chethan.ram : 24th September 2021 at 22:50. Reason: Typo
Old 27th September 2021, 13:12   #8929
Distinguished - BHPian

(As of now, avoid Kuduremukha route to reach Udupi/Kundapura)

Although I have posted details of certain sections related to traveling to the coastal towns on another thread here, I believe this thread has a lot of traffic where it ideally makes sense to post some latest updates.

I was in Chikmagalur for a personal chore last Monday and then had some idle time to kill. What more than a weekday to drive around in total peace, with no weekend traffic and crowd and come back home fully satisfied.

The Kalasa - Kuduremukha route though not an ideal option to reach Udupi still has been a good alternate if one really likes to explore this side of the western ghats. Invariably, I end up driving at least twice to a year taking this route and this time too was no different.

From Chikmagalur, I did a circuitous section taking the Aldur-Balehonnur option to reach Sringeri and returning back via Kuduremukha-Kalasa route.

Onward: Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri : 85 Km
Return: Sringeri - SK Border - Samse - Kalasa - Kelagur - Balur - Kottigehara - Mudigere - Chikmagalur - 162 Km

Hence, this update will help those wanting to do the following routes:
  • Bangalore - Chikmagalur - Sringeri
  • Bangalore - Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa
  • Sringeri - Kalasa
  • Kalasa - Kuduremukha - SK Border - Dharmasthala
Chikmagalur to Sringeri via Aldur/Belehonnur/Jayapura:
  1. Except for the road expansion work that is in progress for 10km from Chikmagalur town on Mudigere road, the roads remain excellent all the way till Sringeri.
Sringeri to SK Border (those heading to Dhamasthala or Kalasa from Sringeri):
  1. Sringeri to SK Border is extremely narrow and even when 2 cars pass, there are quite a lot of sections where you will have to get down the road and make/give way
  2. Road conditions from Sringeri to SK Border is a mixed bag due to incessant rains in this region
  3. The surface is rough, has sharp edges and also considerable number of potholes and speedbreakers at regular locations
  4. Post SK Border towards Bajagoli the roads are in better shape

SK Border to Kalasa via Kuduremukha:
  1. This entire stretch has deteriorated with lot of potholes and rough roads all the way, especially for the lane towards Kuduremukha
  2. Due to rains, top layer of the road for almost 50% of this stretch has gone bad and will certainly decrease your overall average speeds

Kalasa to Mudigere via Balur, Kottigehara:
  1. This section remains fantastic with no bad stretches
  2. The widening of Kottigehara to Mudigere handpost is almost over and hence is a faster affair now due to extra width
Here is a time-lapse video that shows the road conditions between SK Border and Kalasa via Kuduremukha:

Tip: The direct route from Kalasa to Sringeri via Balehonnur is shorter by 15km but takes lesser time when compared to Kalasa to Sringeri via Kuduremukha. Hence, choosing between the 2 options should be easier now considering the road current condition between Kuduremukha and Kalasa. Secondly, SK Border to Sringeri is really narrow that some of you may find it uncomfortable to drive on, especially when you are not used to driving on such roads.[/quote]

Here are some of the pictures taken by my folks during the trip:

Piping hot thatte idlies inside Kunigal town. Something I have been savoring since 2 decades now - Location
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-breakfast-01.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-breakfast-02.jpg

A must stop at Sri Chennakeshava Swamy Temple at Belur - Location
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-belur-temple.jpg
The ever awesome benne masala dosa at the Town Canteen at Chikmagalur - Location
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-breakfast-03.jpg
A Coffee Break at Bhadra Coffee Shop - Location
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-bhadra.jpg
As an alternate, Khandya Cafe is what I will prefer if with ladies and family due to better availability of rest rooms - Location

Sri Sharadambe Temple complex on a Tuesday noon - Location
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-sringeri.jpg
We had lunch at the temple premises itself as part of the Bhojana Prasada and the crowd was very less.

The checkpost to enter Kuduremukha forest range now provides you with a card with a QR Code. However, you will still be asked to get down and furnish the details of your destination, vehicle number and number of passengers travelling with you:
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-forest-pass-01.jpg

A usual stop at the cable stayed bridge between Kuduremukha and Samse- Location
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-cable-bridge.jpg
The picturesque Kuduremukha Samse route:
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-kuduremukha-01.jpg

Quick tea stop here gazing the tea estates and Ganapathi Temple - Location
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-tea-stop.jpg
Tip: Neer Dose here was excellent. We were hungry and just ordered them and they tasted good, especially as the chutney was made right though I would personally prefer the traditional brinjal curry with it.

Sri Kalaseshwara Swamy Temple that we passed enroute on my return: Location
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-kalasa-temple.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th September 2021 at 13:16.
paragsachania is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:12   #8930
BHPian

Guys, how is the road condition via Bisle? Can cars with low ground clearance travel through this route?
Old 28th September 2021, 13:01   #8931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Guys, how is the road condition via Bisle? Can cars with low ground clearance travel through this route?
Bisle is completely concreted. Since the road is narrow just watch out for sharp road edges while giving way for on-coming vehicles.
Old 30th September 2021, 21:14   #8932
BHPian

Wanted to know road condition of Agumbe to Udupi section. I was told post the monsoon its was not that good.

thank you,
AM
Old 30th September 2021, 22:11   #8933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Wanted to know road condition of Agumbe to Udupi section. I was told post the monsoon its was not that good.

thank you,
AM
The Agumbe Ghat section is good except on the hairpins, but it is very much manageable. The roads are little patchy for about 5 kms after you descend till Hotel Seetanadi. After that it’s pretty nice. As you are about to reach Manipal a small section of about 200 meters or so is really bad, but it is absolutely okay to drive there.

By the way, Mangalore Buns and Neer Dose are awesome at Hotel Seetanadi.

PS: I drove this section 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by chethan.ram : 30th September 2021 at 22:12.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 09:01   #8934

Quote:
Originally Posted by astatine View Post
Thanks. The tip on the Ibbani cafe/clean rest rooms is particularly helpful! Thanks again.

This is good (and fresh!) info. This looks like a settled route for me now.
A quick report after following the advice here. Took the route via Charmady and Karkala. The road is in good shape for the most part. There are minor stretches where construction work is going on, which together add up to maybe 8-10 KMs overall. The poorest stretch is right at the entrance of Manipal which one can't do much about :-)

Thanks for the tip about Ibbani Cafe. It was every bit as good as described and I expect I will be stopping there regularly in the future.
Old 8th October 2021, 19:05   #8935
BHPian

We are planning to drive from Bengaluru to Pune via coastal karnataka, with a stopover in Goa.
Current drives planned are
1. BLR to Mangalore
2. Mangalore to Gokarna
3. Gokarna to Benaulim, Goa
4. Benaulim to Pune

We will be travelling with our pet. Any recommendations for pet friendly hotels on this route? Finding it especially difficult to find a good pet friendly hotel in Mangalore.

Last edited by Silverfire : 8th October 2021 at 19:05. Reason: Formatting
Old 8th October 2021, 19:31   #8936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
We will be travelling with our pet. Any recommendations for pet friendly hotels on this route? Finding it especially difficult to find a good pet friendly hotel in Mangalore.
As for the goa part, there were a few posts / discussions on pet friendly hotels on the goa accommodation thread. Have a look there too for options.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:04   #8937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
[*]Except for the road expansion work that is in progress for 10km from Chikmagalur town on Mudigere road, the roads remain excellent all the way till Sringeri.
For going to Sringeri from Hassan, how is the route from Belur to Aldur which avoids Chikmagalur? Is that relatively better than going through Chikmagalur?
Old 10th October 2021, 20:07   #8938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
For going to Sringeri from Hassan, how is the route from Belur to Aldur which avoids Chikmagalur? Is that relatively better than going through Chikmagalur?

It’s a nice route with lot of greenery. The road surface is also good. Few sections are a bit narrow, but the traffic is too less and hence should not be a problem. We did the same route last year during our Tour of Karnataka Bicycle Tour.
chethan.ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 03:09   #8939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Worth considering this option via Belur Gendehalli. As Chetan says its a typical MDR passing through some lovely stretches and coffee plantations soon after Belur. Knowing that you will take time to cross Chikmagalur all the way till the Aldur turn off on Chikmagalur Mudigere road, this alternate is a good option and will certainly save time.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 07:02   #8940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Worth considering this option via Belur Gendehalli. As Chetan says its a typical MDR passing through some lovely stretches and coffee plantations soon after Belur. Knowing that you will take time to cross Chikmagalur all the way till the Aldur turn off on Chikmagalur Mudigere road, this alternate is a good option and will certainly save time.
There is another route from Belur to Chikmagalur. It is much longer, but it’s very scenic. Belur - Gonibeedu - Jannapura - Chandrapura - Kunnahalli - Nandipura - Bhaskal - Gendehalli - Malaluru - Chikmagalur. This is a beautiful stretch which runs through the coffee estates with lots of elevation, but the road surface is just fantastic. Nesting Grounds Homestay is on the same route and it’s a fantastic place to stay. This route can be taken when you have enough time and there is nothing much to do in Chikmagalur by reaching early.

Most Viewed