Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 12:55   #9001
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How is Hoysala Food Park on Belur road? I see quite some crowd, but not sure about the food quality. So I never stop there.
Good for a meal not really for a coffee break though.

This is the same place that came up way back in 1998-2000 era and back then itself they were clear that their clientele was not local population and they continue to do that even today. We have had couple of functions and events here.

I recollect you mentioning that you take Hassan Ring road these days and that means I cannot recommended you Hotel Raama located at Thanneruhalla where BM road forks out for Belur.

Hoysala food park is good for lunch or dinner when you have loads of time but certainly not for coffee.

Since you take Hassan Ring road, you cross Dairy circle and from here there are few places with very short detour that can offer good coffee for you around Prithvi Theatte area.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th October 2021 at 12:56.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:59   #9002
BHPian

Quote:
How is Hoysala Food Park on Belur road? I see quite some crowd, but not sure about the food quality. So I never stop there.
Nothing to write about, last time i saw them baking Idly on plastic sheet(Cancerous). Better to avoid.

If you going through ring-road you can eat here - Vishnu Udupi hotel
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 13:08   #9003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is the same place that came up way back in 1998-2000 era and back then itself they were clear that their clientele was not local population and they continue to do that even today. We have had couple of functions and events here.
Um, I think you are talking about Hoysala Village resort, whose food is very good. I once had a buffet lunch for ₹600 there. Hoysala Food park is a restaurant (new one), about a km away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
If you going through ring-road you can eat here - Vishnu Udupi hotel
Yeah, I have seen that. Being from Udupi I feel weird walking into restaurant's named Udupi.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th October 2021 at 13:09.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 13:23   #9004
BHPian

Quick update: Travelled back to Bangalore from Mangalore just now , nothing new to report except our favorite Ibbani cafe had ran out of the green pepper and lemon pickle that we all love.
Old 26th October 2021, 13:41   #9005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Quick update: Travelled back to Bangalore from Mangalore just now , nothing new to report except our favorite Ibbani cafe had ran out of the green pepper and lemon pickle that we all love.
The same thing is available in Malnad Cafe on the same road. This is about 5kms after Kottigehara if you are coming from Charmadi. I always buy from there.
chethan.ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 14:18   #9006
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Um, I think you are talking about Hoysala Village resort, whose food is very good. I once had a buffet lunch for ₹600 there. Hoysala Food park is a restaurant (new one), about a km away.
Yes. Realised it later . This place too has changed names. Earlier this was just like another shady restaurant run by saw mill owners from Belur. Later due to demand they converted it and tried to make it look like a proper "restaurant" but it still is not.

This is definitely not a place I would recommend as it has no such USP to offer anyway.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 15:29   #9007
BHPian

I hardly used to see anyone there but off late, this seems to have gained in popularity. Last time on my way back, Hoysala Food Park was quite crowded but we ended up going to the Hoysala resort.
Old 28th October 2021, 13:46   #9008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The Hassan <> Sakleshpur stretch is NO good. I would prefer Charmady for safe and faster travel.
Absolutely no good, we did this stretch on a run from Chennai to Mangalore and it was a nightmare to drive with rain and after dark. Thanks a lot for this suggestion on Charmady route, will take this on our way back this weekend.
Old 30th October 2021, 09:05   #9009
BHPian

Lorry accident in Agumbe ghat.
Four dead and five injured.
News report from today's The Hindu.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-20211030_090404.jpg
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 17:00   #9010
BHPian

Hello Fellow BHPians,
On your recommendation did BNG UDP via Charmadi, Fantastic Roads. Might have had a cumulative of ~5Kms of Potholes ridden roads and they were after the right turn from guruvayankere until karkala. Good Roads, Toll Free, Clean Air and fresh coffee makes this road a delight. Had Good BF at Paakshaala. Its about a KM ahead of the ever crowded Swathi Delicacy and food was very tasty. Have a large parking area and big clean restrooms. U have to take a right while traveling towards hassan but its right at the highway median divider. Ibanni Cafe after mudigere cross had real good akki rotis and filter coffee . Over all i would say, for time being charmadi route to udupi is pleasure to drive, time saving, cost efficient ( no tolls ) and nice on tummy.
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:21   #9011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Hi All,

I am planning to drive to Udupi this weekend with family. Any good restaurants recommendation before Hassan, preferably on the left side of the road with decent rest rooms? I used to go to A2B, but nowadays, their food quality is pathetic.

TIA
I travelled on 10/30, Saturday morning, but couldn't enter any popular restaurant due to over crowding. Started from BG road around 5:50AM and reached Udupi via charmadi at 2 PM with multiple short breaks. Roads were good overall except few rough patholes.
funda2max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 13:50   #9012
BHPian

Guys,

Planning to visit Mangalore on coming Sunday with my family (2 - 3 kids).
As per the recent reports by BHP'ians will be taking BLR -> Hassan -> Charmady -> Belthangady -> Bantwal -> MLR route.

Planning to leave BLR (from whitefield) by 5 - 5:30 am. Would be stopping at Paakashala for breakfast (by 8:30 - 9 am) and then Ibbani Cafe (12 PM) for quick coffee break.

Does this plan look okay ?
Any place after Bantwal where we can stop for a lunch halt ? Would prefer open space & clean washrooms.
Would be returning on Wednesday. Does the same route make sense ? We wish to be in BLR before 6 PM. What would be good time to leave from MLR ?
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:09   #9013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Would be returning on Wednesday. Does the same route make sense ? We wish to be in BLR before 6 PM. What would be good time to leave from MLR ?
Just answering your query on your time to leave Mangalore - Would say 11:30 AM would be ideal taking into account couple of pit stops.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 18:53   #9014
BHPian

Hi Team,

I need to be in Mangalore on Saturday morning and this time I will be starting from Mysore. Planning to take the Madikeri route and start off at around 3:00 AM. Are there any embargo on night travel on this route ?, pls let me know asap
Old 4th November 2021, 22:35   #9015
BHPian

If you are leaving Mysore at 3:00am, you will reach Madikeri by 5:15am. I don’t see any problem there. The roads are little patchy till Hunsur, they get better after that. If you are looking for a breakfast point, Santrupthi Veg is a good place with parking. Mangalore buns are very good there.
chethan.ram is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed