Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2021, 18:28   #9076
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I did B'lore <> M'lore this month via Charmady. Onward journey towards M'lore was on 8th and there was a check for vehicle documents right at the onset of ghat section. The cops were asking for RC, Insurance and Pollution certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amavin View Post
On return, Google Maps recommended Hassan ring-road which, in hindsight, I should have bypassed. The initial stretch is still work-in-progress, but the later part is no good either - median breaks every 100m or so with an inevitable, mostly unmarked and unscientific speed-breaker. Not to mention the complete nonchalance about driving the wrong way to save some fuel. Think twice before taking the ring-road after dark.
On my return on 20th, the GMAPs was asking me to take a left turn much before the hassan junction where we take a left, then a U-turn and a left to join the bypass. I didn't take but was wondering how was this ring road. Is it good to take during the day time? Is it circuitous and also where does it meet the highway again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Plus I've done Uppinangadi Bantwal several times before and found Ujire Bantwal to be better, hardly any truck traffic while the former has too much of them.
Bantwal > Ujire is good and wide until Punjalkatte. After that it is narrow and also traffic increases until Ujire junction.
Old 23rd December 2021, 21:39   #9077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

On my return on 20th, the GMAPs was asking me to take a left turn much before the hassan junction where we take a left, then a U-turn and a left to join the bypass. I didn't take but was wondering how was this ring road. Is it good to take during the day time? Is it circuitous and also where does it meet the highway again?
You can take the ring road during the day. Just beware of the unmarked speedbreakers and enlightened souls driving your way. From what I saw, helmets and riders heads haven't met each other in Hassan.

The ring road took me to a point between the dairy circle, and the small bridge on the road leading towards the town from the highway when coming from Bangalore. Took a left to get to the highway.

I for one would prefer the bypass even during the day.
Old 23rd December 2021, 23:23   #9078
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't take but was wondering how was this ring road. Is it good to take during the day time?
I would not recommend taking the By-pass , instead take the link road near Taneerhalla which leads you to the NH.
Old 24th December 2021, 10:06   #9079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is the ring road. It is a wiser option depending on the time of the day you are travelling back and also whether it is a weekday or a weekend.

On a weekend, if I am passing Hassan in the evening, I will happily prefer taking the ring road. It is not traffic prone but the only grouse here are the numerous speedbreakers that will ensure you to drop your gears down to 1st the moment you think you can slot to 5th and continue driving!

Otherwise, traffic itself is less here and then it is a divided road and that means you will still get chance to overtake crawling vehicles which is not the case with the bypass.

Another advantage is that the moment you merge with the bypass, you will have Bangalore bound traffic coming from Sakleshpur side join you and then that notorious slow moving tanker will ensure you crawl all along till the end of bypass.

If I am crossing Hassan after 8pm, even on a weekday, I take the good old BM road all the way through the city.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 22:28   #9080

I did the Bangalore-Mangalore trip today.
Bangalore-Hassan (bypassed)- Belur - Mudigere - Ujjire -Mangalore
7:30 to 6:15. Main drivers for the duration are
  1. Slightly late start
  2. Nelamangala
  3. 45 min breakfast
  4. 45 min lunch break
  5. Got caught behind the main lorry celebrating Hanuman Jayanthi at Belur !
  6. Multiple Photo stops
  7. Relaxed driving
On the positive side I was not really very tired at the end of ride. The roads are by and large good, but as warned by the previous posters, the ghats does have some section which are very narrow.
Other Points :
We stopped at Paakashala for Breakfast - Food was good and rest rooms clean
We stopped at Nisarga Grand - Food was fine though simple. They were a little overwhelmed.
My brother had done the same trip last week in 7.5 hours but he started early, drove fast and only stopped for Breakfast.
Old 26th December 2021, 08:59   #9081
BHPian

Did a day long trip between Mangalore to Sonda and back... posting in this thread as it might help any traveling to Sirsi/ UK district. Road from Mangalore to Kumta is a breeze and absolutely fine, from Kumta to Sirsi is bad to very bad and recommendation is to take the deviation towards Manjugani Venkataramana temple and join back just before Sirsi. Roads are better on this route and I drove back late at night and be aware of dense fog in some of the stretches.
Old 26th December 2021, 09:45   #9082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp77 View Post
I traveled from Bangalore to Mangalore on Thursday, 21st May and drove back on Saturday, 23rd May. FYI, I do not take the Nelamangala route to get out from or get in to Bangalore. I prefer the Magadi road route which comes out before Kunigal. This saves toll money, little distance and also serves as a scenic route. Buying fresh vegetables in Magadi also serves as an incentive...
I'm also considering taking this route to get out of south-east Blore for getting on to Blore - Hassan Hwy (viz. via Magadi Rd and joining the hwy at Talekere just east of Kunigal), for our drive to Chikkamagalur later this week.

I see that it's been 18 months since your last experience. Anyone has any recent experience on this route?

It's a 2-lane road I believe? That I don't mind as long as the route is scenic, road is of good quality, and decent speeds can be maintained.
Old 26th December 2021, 19:16   #9083
Senior - BHPian

Elevated Nelamangala-Goraguntepalya section along Tumkur Road is closed for a week. This is problematic for people entering Bangalore from this side.

I wasn’t aware of this of and got stuck in the traffic and it took more than an hour to reach Goragungepalya from Nelamangala junction.

Did Mangalore-Bangalore through Charmady today. This is 20 km extra compared to usual Shiradi route, but it was much better to drive, less tiring overall and much more scenic.

Overall driving time of 7h25m for 362 KM. This includes the above Tumkur Road stretch, so it would have been quicker by at least 30 mins otherwise.

Other points:
- Breaks at Ibbani Cafe and Mayura at Bellur cross
- Took Hasana bypass instead of ring road

Last edited by SilentEngine : 26th December 2021 at 19:27.
Old 27th December 2021, 15:38   #9084

I did a Bangalore - Malpe last weekend & went via Hassan, mudigere,Belthangady& Karkala. The roads were in good condition except from Mudigere to Charmadi where road widening is on at some stretches. The ghats do have some really narrow stretches but its very scenic stretch.

Bengaluru -Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Ujire - Belthangady - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Malpe
Old 27th December 2021, 23:23   #9085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Elevated Nelamangala-Goraguntepalya section along Tumkur Road is closed for a week. This is problematic for people entering Bangalore from this side.
So, Is the Goraguntepalya > Nelamangala elevated section open?
Old 27th December 2021, 23:28   #9086
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, Is the Goraguntepalya > Nelmamangala elevated section open?
Closed for a week from 25 Dec, so should be opening on Dec 31 or Jan 1 I think.
Old 27th December 2021, 23:35   #9087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, Is the Goraguntepalya > Nelamangala elevated section open?
No, it's closed both directions.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 09:47   #9088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
GV kere to Naravi is slightly damaged. But Karkala to Hiriyadka is fine. After Karkala, you have the option of taking belman-Katpady route to reach NH-66 too.
Thanks for the suggestion, I took the GV Kere - Naravi - Karkala - Belman - Katpady to reach NH-66 and the entire route was great. All the damaged sections between GV Kere - Naravi are patched up.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 22:24   #9089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
No, it's closed both directions.
I am traveling from Shimoga to Bangalore tomorrow. Will generate take the Pune - Bangalore Highway.

But since the Neelamangala road is closed in both directions, could you advise which is the best road to take to make it to Bangalore?
Old 28th December 2021, 23:16   #9090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
But since the Neelamangala road is closed in both directions, could you advise which is the best road to take to make it to Bangalore?
The Nelamangala road is not closed in both directions. It is the elevated section that remains closed and hence puts additional load on main carriageway and the service lanes below.

So you can very much take the Tumkur road (if doing very early morning before 0700).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks