Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2021, 23:51   #9091
Senior - BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
I am traveling from Shimoga to Bangalore tomorrow. Will generate take the Pune - Bangalore Highway.

But since the Neelamangala road is closed in both directions, could you advise which is the best road to take to make it to Bangalore?
When they say it's closed, it's only the elevated section that's closed (from near Nagasandra Metro till Goraguntepalya). The service roads on the side and the road under the elevated section is still open, but there will be lot of jostling around to get to it from the toll road (so can easily expect 30+ minutes compared to usual). Depending on your exact destination in Bangalore, may be NICE road could be an option.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 07:02   #9092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Depending on your exact destination in Bangalore, may be NICE road could be an option.
This is great and timely info. Thank you.
We are headed for South Bangalore and the electronics city NICE road exit would be ideal for us.
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 08:48   #9093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
This is great and timely info. Thank you.
We are headed for South Bangalore and the electronics city NICE road exit would be ideal for us.
Do keep in mind that NICE also has roadworks happening and in several sections it is narrowed to one lane in both directions and can cause significant slowdows. I returned from Chikmagalur couple of days back and did take NICE and it was fortunately pretty ok. Would recommend to keep a watch on Google maps as you approach to see the best recommendation.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 08:54   #9094
BHPian

Did Bangalore to Mangalore yesterday - Nelamangala, Kunigal, Channarayapatna, Hassan, Belur, Charmady, and Belthangady. I left Hebbal at 8 am and it took me an hour and twenty minutes to reach Nelamangala via Yashwantpur. Driving through the congested road below the elevated road required a lot of patience. The road widening work as you approach Charmady has made the ride very rough at places and very dusty too The road on the ghat section though narrow, is good. Once you are done with the ghat section there are patches of bad road for another 20 kms or so. The travel time was 7 hours and 20 minutes with a stop of 30 minutes near Hassan for a snack.
Old 29th December 2021, 09:32   #9095
BHPian

Travelled to Dharmasthala last week. Took the usual Charmady ghat.
Interestingly, did not have to go up to Ujire this time; instead, took a left turn about 8 kms before Ujire, at a place called Mundaje (as suggested by Gmaps). It is a smaller double lane road primarily used by cars and occasional TTs. The overall road condition is good.
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 11:59   #9096
Senior - BHPian

A friend will be driving to Mangalore tomorrow morning. Google map is showing Shirady ghat route as the fastest. But with my experience of driving two months back I suggested him to take Charmady ghat. He will be driving a Toyota Urban Cruiser.

Is there any improvement in road condition of Hassan - Sakleshpur section to consider Shirady ghat?

Secondly, is the following route good for Belthangady to Mangalore?
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-bm.jpg  

Old 29th December 2021, 12:34   #9097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_aithal View Post
Interestingly, did not have to go up to Ujire this time; instead, took a left turn about 8 kms before Ujire, at a place called Mundaje (as suggested by Gmaps). It is a smaller double lane road primarily used by cars and occasional TTs. The overall road condition is good.
This is a road that is also used regularly by the paadayatris who walk to Dharmasthlala every year. As you descend Charmadi and cross Kakkinje, you will see prominent posters and banners requesting all the walkers to consider taking this route to Dhramasthala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Google map is showing Shirady ghat route as the fastest.
Leave that route for Google aunty to travel by a battle tank and am sure she will reach faster but Charmadi will take more or less same time with a lot of peace .

Ideal comparison:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-hassan-bc-road.jpg

2 common points for both Shiradi and Charmadi are turn off for Belur road on Hassan Bypass and BC Road bridge before BC Road. When you compare time estimates by google in present conditions, you can very well realise that:

Shiradi | 142 Km | 3:39 Hrs
Charmadi | 164 Km | 3:52 Hrs

Summary: As per google, Charmadi route is 22 Km longer and takes only 13 minutes extra. In reality, unless there is any incident on Charmadi that results in blocks, it is always efficient over Shiradi and one will take same time to do Mangalore as Charmadi.

Quote:
Is there any improvement in road condition of Hassan - Sakleshpur section to consider Shirady ghat?
Wishful thinking but there has been no change in the road conditions despite of the recent media attention it got.

Quote:
Secondly, is the following route good for Belthangady to Mangalore?
Yes. From Belthangady you reach Mangalore via BC Road and that's the most ideal route if destination is Mangalore.

Last edited by paragsachania : 29th December 2021 at 12:43.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 16:09   #9098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post

Been there last week. Hassan - Sakleshpur section is a pathetic excuse to be called a NH.

Strictly LR Defender territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Do keep in mind that NICE also has roadworks happening
Just reached home. Surprisingly didn't face any challenge at the Neelamangala junction.
Exited towards NICE road.
Yes, you are absolutely right about the NICE road situation. Did face a 20 mins delay.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th December 2021 at 19:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 17:24   #9099
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Mangalore last week, on return took the route via bisle ghats to relive a nostalgic trip we had some 12 years back. You can read about it here (Swifted : Bisle, Belur, Halebid, Chikmagalur, Kemmangundi)

We were prepared for worst roads and we had the time at hand, but surprisingly the route turned out to be good with concretised roads through out. Took all of 40 minutes to cover the route. Is a good alternative for people trying other routes to/from Mangalore.

A video of the entire bisle section here, speed is advanced to compress to smaller duration

Last edited by laluks : 29th December 2021 at 17:27.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 20:51   #9100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
2 common points for both Shiradi and Charmadi are turn off for Belur road on Hassan Bypass and BC Road bridge before BC Road. When you compare time estimates by google in present conditions, you can very well realise that:

Shiradi | 142 Km | 3:39 Hrs
Charmadi | 164 Km | 3:52 Hrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Had been to Mangalore last week, on return took the route via bisle ghats to relive a nostalgic trip we had some 12 years back.
How is this as an alternative for charmadi route for B'lore <> M'lore?
Are the road conditions better OR at the least as good as Charmadi?

Bengaluru > Kunigal > Channarayapatna > Arakalgud > Shanivarasante > Bisle Ghat > Kadaba > Uppinangady > Mangalore.
8 Hours 2 Mins | 370 KMs

OR

Bengaluru > Kunigal > Channarayapatna > Arakalgud > Shanivarasante > Bisle Ghat > Kaikamba > Kenjala > Gundya > Uppinangady > Mangalore.
8 Hours 10 mins | 379 KMs
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 23:19   #9101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How is this as an alternative for charmadi route for B'lore <> M'lore?
Are the road conditions better OR at the least as good as Charmadi?

Bengaluru > Kunigal > Channarayapatna > Arakalgud > Shanivarasante > Bisle Ghat > Kadaba > Uppinangady > Mangalore.
8 Hours 2 Mins | 370 KMs
This is what I suggest. Going to Gundya means you will encounter the truck traffic for most part of your drive and it can be pain to overtake. The above route is much easier to drive and roads are better. This was from my last year's drive experience.
There are no good restaurants on this route once you cross Mayura or another option is you can go to Anagha Grand and come back into CR Patna.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 10:08   #9102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
This is what I suggest. Going to Gundya means you will encounter the truck traffic for most part of your drive and it can be pain to overtake. The above route is much easier to drive and roads are better. This was from my last year's drive experience.
There are no good restaurants on this route once you cross Mayura or another option is you can go to Anagha Grand and come back into CR Patna.
I wouldn't mind some truck traffic as long as roads are better and wider. I asked for the route as I wanted to minimize the detour to as less as possible and join back into NH75.
But, if Kaikamba > Kadaba > Uppinangady is good, will take it.

About restaurants, anyways they are mainly around Kunigal and If NOT I prefer the 'Aditya' at Uppinangady OR further ahead the restaurants around Kalladka.

When I start early morning at around 7AM from B'lore, I reach the diversion to Belur at around say 11AM at Hassan bypass. The Hassan bypass <> Kottigehara has lots of small towns and consequently pedestrian traffic, narrow roads and road humps make it exhausting. Hope Channarayapatna > Shanivarasante > Bisle Ghat is better, comparatively.
Old 2nd January 2022, 16:59   #9103
CJP
BHPian

We are planning to drive to Udupi from Kengeri/Bangalore on the 4th Jan., driving our 12 year old Innova.

Google suggestions are
1. Bangalore > Tumkur > Hiriyur > Badra > Thirthahalli > Agumbe > Udupi
2. Bangalore > Hassan > Belur > Mudugere > Agumbe > Udupi

Looking for suggestions or recommendations from folks who have travelled recently to understand road conditions.

Appreciate your help
Old 2nd January 2022, 17:24   #9104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
We are planning to drive to Udupi from Kengeri/Bangalore on the 4th Jan., driving our 12 year old Innova.

Google suggestions are

Looking for suggestions or recommendations from folks who have travelled recently to understand road conditions.

Appreciate your help
I traveled on 28 Dec on the route Bangalore > Hassan > Belur > Mudugere > Charmady > Mangalore.
And I went to Udupi from Mangalore on 29 Dec. Overall, I can say taking the Hassan Belur Mudigere Charmady route was helpful as the road quality was definitely good even though the ghat section had narrow roads.

While returning I went to Dharmasthala and then to Kukke and while leaving Kukke I lost 4G network and took to the board and by mistake took the route to Sakleshpur which was a huge mistake that cost me time and nasty ride nearing Sakleshpur and leaving Sakleshpur till I reached Hassan.

The other route via Tirthahalli, I noticed reading a few posts before that one section has somewhat bad roads.

I myself had wanted to return from mangalore via Agumbe just to experience Agumbe’s steep hairpin bends and the top of the cliff but kind of forgot that route altogether in a hurry to return back to bangalore.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 22:26   #9105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Google suggestions are
My recommendation is to opt route 1. Bangalore > Tumkur > Hiriyur > Badra > Thirthahalli > Agumbe > Udupi.

The only section which might have potholes is Badra > Thirthahalli and that too for about 15 to 20 Kms.

Route 1 has less curves compared to Route 2 and is faster than Route 2.
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks