Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2022, 12:52   #9256
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krao View Post
I was looking forward to your feedback on the Thirthahalli road as I am planning a trip in June 1st week to Udupi. Charmady route has that horrible traffic from Ujire to Guruvayankere. I was stuck for nearly 30 mins in that junction last time.
Probably a result of some event or an accident otherwise I have never faced any issues on the Ujjre-Guruvayenkere stretch.

In any case, the Thirthahalli road is all fine as well. I took this route ( Thirthahalli-Tarikere-Hiriyur-Tumkur ) last week on my drive from Manipal to Blore. Only downside is lack of food/restroom options.
explorer09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 14:13   #9257
Team-BHP Support

Anand Mahindra posts beautiful pic of jungle drive from Bengaluru to Udupi. Internet loves it

https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-n...986-2022-06-01

Had he turned right at Gundya towards Sakleshpura, he would have tweeted something very different, or not tweeted at all.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 19:44   #9258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Charmady route has that horrible traffic from Ujire to Guruvayankere. I was stuck for nearly 30 mins in that junction last time.
There is road widening work going on from Guruvayanakere to the fork of Moodabidre Naravi turn off and sometimes the road is blocked by the construction equipment. I too faced similar incident once in the recent past.
Old 6th June 2022, 11:34   #9259
Senior - BHPian

I had to attend an event near Kumbla yesterday and decided to try Shiradi since the plan was to leave from Bangalore at 3 AM. The Hassan - Sakaleshpur stretch was pretty good with one side of the concrete road available for most of the part. Sakaleshpur - Maranahalli was pathetic but we could negotiate it in no time since there was hardly any traffic at 6 AM. I would not suggest taking this stretch at later point of the day as it could get clogged with traffic. Took a left at Gundya and reached Kumbla at 9 AM by taking the Subramanya - Bellare - Kumbra - Bettampadi - Perla - Seetangoli route which is in a great shape.

Started the return journey at 3 PM and took the exact route until Subramanya. Took the Bisle ghat this time instead of Shiradi. Reached Nelamangala at 9:30 PM but it took 1.5 hours more to reach Goraguntepalya junction as most part of the elevated highway had severe water logging due to the heavy rains that Bangalore witnessed last night . The entire drive was very relaxing except for the last 1.5 hours of mayhem.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 6th June 2022 at 11:49.
guyfrmblr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 17:15   #9260
BHPian

We are planning to travel to Udupi on June 11th, starting by 6:30 AM (on Kushaq 1.0 AT); I was checking the routes that could be taken and somehow Gmaps is strongly recommending me to take
Bangalore > Hiriyur > Thirthalli > Agumbe > Udupi (Route 1)
or
Bnagalore > Hassan > Belur > Balehonnur > Agumbe > Udupi (Route 2)
or
Bangalore > Mysore > Madikeri > Puttur > Mangalore > Udupi (seems too long) (Route 3)

I was hoping to take Shirady or Charmady to enjoy some great monsoon views/ride as this will be the 1st time we are driving to Udupi. Are both of these routes in a very bad condition right now ? I have a lot of time, as long as I reach Udupi by 5-6PM I am good, but I just dont want to encounter traffic especially on ghats, we just want to have a peaceful long drive.
I am considering taking Route 2 as of now, if any of you guys have a better recommendation, I am open for it.
Old 8th June 2022, 20:32   #9261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskebail View Post
or
or
Bangalore > Mysore > Madikeri > Puttur > Mangalore > Udupi (seems too long) (Route 3)
Avoid route 2
Take route 1 or Charmady Ghat.

Last edited by ampere : 9th June 2022 at 05:37. Reason: trimmed quoted post
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 10:11   #9262
BHPian

Quote:
Avoid route 2
This is definitely not a route to be avoided! If one is comfortable with the twisty roads, this is absolutely recommended. The roads are good, weaving through the coffee estates.

Quote:
or
or
Route 2 is the shortest of the 3. Avoid the shortcut from Belur to Aldur, stick to Belur - Chikmagalur - Aldur - Balehonnur. Chikmagalur town will have some traffic, but easily manageable. Congested roads leading out of town towards Aldur are now widened.
Food options - Numerous on Hassan highway, handful between Hassan and Chikmagalur. Otherwise at Agumbe or after you descend the ghats into Udupi district.
If you want to savor the journey, opt for Charmady for one way and Chikmagalur-Balehonnur for the other
Shubbi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 11:53   #9263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubbi View Post
This is definitely not a route to be avoided! If one is comfortable with the twisty roads, this is absolutely recommended. The roads are good, weaving through the coffee estates.

Otherwise at Agumbe or after you descend the ghats into Udupi district.
Route 2 is my favourite and first choice. I take the Jayapura-Sringeri bypass route and it has a very good veg restaurant at Sharada Comforts. No need to enter the temple town.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 12:19   #9264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are planning to travel to Udupi on June 11th, starting by 6:30 AM (on Kushaq 1.0 AT); I was checking the routes that could be taken and somehow Gmaps is strongly recommending me to take
or
or
Route 1 is longer than Route 2 (+35 KMs), but probably similar driving time. Food/Rest room options are limited. You have to plan in advance where to take any breaks.
I did two different trips (Mangalore-Shivamogga and Bangalore-Shivamogga) in last few weeks covering majority of this route, road conditions are pretty decent.

Route 2 is shortest (I don't have personal experience of Balehonnur-Agumbe stretch)
Route 2a (similar, via Charmady instead of Agumbe)

Route 3 - Avoid! I wonder why Google even suggests this! Could be due to your starting point in Bangalore. Bangalore-Mysore stretch was in horrible shape due to construction work going on throughout. Unless the route is via Nelamangala/Kunigal/Channarayapatna/Madikeri, still it's way too longer and not enjoyable to drive.

Quote:
I was hoping to take Shirady or Charmady to enjoy some great monsoon views/ride as this will be the 1st time we are driving to Udupi. Are both of these routes in a very bad condition right now ? I have a lot of time, as long as I reach Udupi by 5-6PM I am good, but I just dont want to encounter traffic especially on ghats, we just want to have a peaceful long drive.
I am considering taking Route 2 as of now, if any of you guys have a better recommendation, I am open for it.
Shirady is definitely to be avoided. Charmady is definitely not in bad shape, and it's the better choice for now, for people doing Mangalore-Bangalore drives.

If you are feeling little adventurous, you could try Route 1. Otherwise you can't go wrong with Route 2 or 2a.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 9th June 2022 at 12:23.
SilentEngine is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2022, 10:52   #9265
BHPian

I travelled this weekend from BLR to Udupi. Took Charmady Ghat towards Udupi, still holding good without any potholes. Had some traffic though and overtaking is a challenge from Belur onwards.
On return, took Shirady ghat. Sedans and hatchback will struggle and should avoid this. Also , the route is expected to get worse with more diversions.
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 00:03   #9266
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Needs to travel to Panja in South Canara. Please do suggest a route among these choices, I would be driving a Sedan with low ground clearance, plan start at 8:00 AM from Bangalore south.

1. Bangalore -> Nelamangala --> Hassan --> Belur --.> Mudigere --> Dharmasthala --> Kadaba --> Panja

2. Bangalore -> Nelamangala --> Hassan --> Sakaleshpura --> Gundya --> Panja

3. Bangalore -> Nelamangala -->chanarayapatana--> Sanivarasanthe --> Bisle ghat --> Panja

4. Bangalore-->Mysore--> Madikeri --> Sullia --> Bellare--> Panja

Last edited by manjubp : 14th June 2022 at 00:10.
Old 14th June 2022, 09:00   #9267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Needs to travel to Panja in South Canara. I would be driving a Sedan with low ground clearance, plan start at 8:00 AM from Bangalore south.

1. Bangalore -> Nelamangala --> Hassan --> Belur --.> Mudigere --> Dharmasthala --> Kadaba --> Panja
This is the best route as on today for your car.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 10:40   #9268
BHPian

Hi all, This is about travelling between Bengaluru and Mangaluru.
I know that Sakaleshapura route is still a bad choice. Thanks to whoever is responsible for this pathetic road . What a waste of fuel and time . Not to forget the damage done to vehicles. Waiting and hoping for the day when this National highway between two biggest cities of Karnataka becomes reliable for the motorists.

So now we are left with only one other option i.e via Charmadi ghat.

But the question is, Is Charmadi route good? At present what is the road condition of this route?
Old 14th June 2022, 11:24   #9269
BHPian

Quote:
By far this is the farthest route and wouldn`t recommend it unless you want to visit Dharmasthala.

Quote:
Hassan - Sakaleshpura stretch, with one side of the concrete, is almost complete, the only bad stretch one needs to manage is between Sakaleshpura - Maranahalli which is terrible. Having said that this route is still the fastest stretch. Last week I did this from Bannerghatta Road, starting at 1 pm, it took me a little under 6.30 hours to Kaniyoor near Panja.

Quote:
3. Bangalore -> Nelamangala -->chanarayapatana--> Sanivarasanthe --> Bisle ghat --> Panja
Bisle Ghat - Subramanya (Kulkunda) is single lane with twisties. You can also consider this but be careful while approaching turns as oncoming vehicles mostly occupy your side.

Quote:
4. Bangalore-->Mysore--> Madikeri --> Sullia --> Bellare--> Panja
I call it the peace of mind route. If one can manage under construction Mysore stretch, till Sullia it will be scenic and beautiful roads with less traffic. Sullia - Bellare - Panja is usual countryside route with good tarmac.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 14th June 2022 at 11:27.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 17:22   #9270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest 2 if you are leaving Bangalore at non-standard hours like early morning or late noon. Else just go with 3, it’s my default route these days to visit anywhere in and around Sullia/Puttur.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 14th June 2022 at 17:28.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed