Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2022, 11:38   #9331
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Is Shiradi open now ? I need to travel towards kukke and thinking of taking Shiradi to return to Bangalore as against my usual charmadi route
You must take Bisle ghat. It's good. I did Blore- Charmady- Dharmastala- Kukke-Bisle-Blore this weekend.
Only some bad patches from Dharmastala to Kukke.
abhi_krao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 11:53   #9332
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
We were there at the same resort for an office outing last Saturday and Sunday. We were 6 cars while 3 of us including myself took the CR Patna - Holenarasipura - Arkalgud - Shanivarsanthe - Koodurasthe, the other 3 cars went ahead via Sakleshpur.
We were in same resort for Independence Day weekend. Echo your thoughts to avoid, but for different reason.

Badly maintained, with dirty towels, water problem one morning and very average food.

Parking inside is haphazard and we were stuck for 1.5 hours when we wanted to take our vehicle to the falls, as 2 card were parked front and rear, with the owners leaving for trekking.

Finally they lifted the other car in a way I would not have been comfortable with if done to mine.

Last edited by ampere : 16th August 2022 at 15:27. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Sidban85 is offline  
Old 15th August 2022, 15:33   #9333
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK-XXVII View Post
Hi, not sure if i'm late but i travelled this road today and the road is in good shape just like it used to. No problems anywhere except for a few kms near kalladka where the construction is going on. My low slung city with full load had no problems with any of the patches. This route can definitely be considered.
I took this route on Sunday (14th August). As you said, the route is good. From my home near Sarjapur road, to Kavoor, Mangalore the total driving distance was 397 KM. I didn't take NICE road to reach Mysore road as the start was early morning (saved on the toll ). Apart from the Kalladka section which is not great due to the road work, the other section of concern for me was the KRS road which has deteriorated. However, the bad section doesn't last too long. And then there are mountainous humps (maybe 3-4 of them) further ahead, before joining NH 275. Although my i20 escaped unhurt, some of the sedans driving along were not that lucky. Probably you didn't take that road. I take it to avoid driving till Mysore. It took all of 10 hours to reach Mangalore with holiday traffic clogging Mysore road.
scorp77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 13:52   #9334
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 38
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Dear all
How is the BLR-Magadi-Kunigal Road? i had travelled a year back and it was pathetic with loads of Diversions.
TIA
W@SIM is offline  
Old 16th August 2022, 15:17   #9335
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp77 View Post
I took this route on Sunday (14th August). As you said, the route is good. From my home near Sarjapur road, to Kavoor, Mangalore the total driving distance was 397 KM. I didn't take NICE road to reach Mysore road as the start was early morning (saved on the toll ). Apart from the Kalladka section which is not great due to the road work, the other section of concern for me was the KRS road which has deteriorated. However, the bad section doesn't last too long. And then there are mountainous humps (maybe 3-4 of them) further ahead, before joining NH 275. Although my i20 escaped unhurt, some of the sedans driving along were not that lucky. Probably you didn't take that road. I take it to avoid driving till Mysore. It took all of 10 hours to reach Mangalore with holiday traffic clogging Mysore road.
How many kms is the kalladka bad roads section?
realactivex is offline  
Old 16th August 2022, 16:36   #9336
Senior - BHPian
 
PrideRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: BLR/PTR
Posts: 3,009
Thanked: 8,066 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
How many kms is the kalladka bad roads section?
The bad part may be only for about 2-3KM(or even lesser), which is not much of a problem. However during busy weekends traffic gets pretty bad.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:48   #9337
Newbie
 
Sanbhat1611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hi All - Did someone recently travel from Bangalore to Moodbidri (or Mangalore or nearby town) via Charmadi ? Can I consider this as the best route to choose from (assuming Sakleshpur-Shiradi is still under repair) ?

Please advice.

Planning to drive with family on my Baleno in the next week.
Sanbhat1611 is offline  
Old 23rd August 2022, 13:14   #9338
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore/Udupi
Posts: 25,113
Thanked: 36,124 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I drove via Charmadi on Friday, it was a breeze. The road is not damaged anywhere between Hassan and GV Kere.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:50   #9339
BHPian
 
elroydsilva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Bangalore/Udupi
Posts: 30
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Took our usual Charmadi while returning to Bangalore from Udupi (Katapady) on Sunday. Roads are very good, though they're in a slightly worse shape than earlier. Left at 3am and reached E-city at 11.30am with a 45 min breakfast stop at Paakashaala. Being a Sunday morning, traffic was minimal and it helped a lot.

Observed that NICE road toll has been increased from 180 to 210.
elroydsilva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 22:18   #9340
Senior - BHPian
 
deehunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,815
Thanked: 2,289 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@SIM View Post
Dear all
How is the BLR-Magadi-Kunigal Road? i had travelled a year back and it was pathetic with loads of Diversions.
TIA
It is still in same condition, road work may get completed by mid 2023. The road work between Magadi and Kunigal is still under progress.
deehunk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 11:31   #9341
BHPian
 
meetbadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 215
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Has anyone travelled in Bisle ghat recently? I am planning to have a round trip of visiting Dharmasthala and Southadka, and planning drive via Bisle ghat. Google is suggesting me to take Chennaraypatna - Holenarasipur - Arakalagud route, Can anyone suggest me if this is a good option to drive
meetbadri is offline  
Old 25th August 2022, 22:23   #9342
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 579
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Has anyone travelled in Bisle ghat recently? I am planning to have a round trip of visiting Dharmasthala and Southadka, and planning drive via Bisle ghat. Google is suggesting me to take Chennaraypatna - Holenarasipur - Arakalagud route, Can anyone suggest me if this is a good option to drive
I did around 2/3 months back via Chennaraypatna - Holenarasipur - Arakalagud route, good roads with its own share of road humps. It was actually on Sunday, so upcoming traffic in Bisle Ghat was on higher side, but nothing to worry.

Note there is no decent restaurant post Chennaraypatna, not sure if interiors of Holenarasipur or Arakalagud has any. Plan accordingly.
manjubp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 13:19   #9343
BHPian
 
ranjitnair77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 245
Thanked: 1,249 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

This seems to be the best thread to ask for route help from the all the lovely people of Karnataka.

So we are doing a post-Diwali ride to your beautiful state and need to travel between Madikeri and Jog Falls. A few hours of research and googling throws up these options. I've attached a map.
  • Option 1: Through Sankleshpura, Mudigere and Ballehonnur
  • Option 2: Through Chramadi Ghat, Ballehonnur
  • Option 3: Through Kudremukh, Sringeri, Tirthahallii
  • Option 3: Through Agumbe, Tirthahallii

We are not considering the coastal route.

The time doesn't really matter (beyond a point) but 10 hours is fine. We have ADVs so mixed roads are fine. We would love to take the most scenic route that would be great for riding motorcycles. We would love to enjoy the ghats, post monsoon. What does everyone think?

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-routes.jpg
ranjitnair77 is offline  
Old 26th August 2022, 14:32   #9344
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,148
Thanked: 4,884 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
This seems to be the best thread to ask for route help from the all the lovely people of Karnataka.

So we are doing a post-Diwali ride to your beautiful state and need to travel between Madikeri and Jog Falls. A few hours of research and googling throws up these options. I've attached a map.
  • Option 1: Through Sankleshpura, Mudigere and Ballehonnur
  • Option 2: Through Chramadi Ghat, Ballehonnur
  • Option 3: Through Kudremukh, Sringeri, Tirthahallii
  • Option 3: Through Agumbe, Tirthahallii

We are not considering the coastal route.

The time doesn't really matter (beyond a point) but 10 hours is fine. We have ADVs so mixed roads are fine. We would love to take the most scenic route that would be great for riding motorcycles. We would love to enjoy the ghats, post monsoon. What does everyone think?

Attachment 2351083
That's a difficult choice as all of these routes are quite scenic and takes you through the heart of Malnad. If I have to pick, I would take the Option 3 through Kudremukh, Sringeri and Tirthahalli.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 10:40   #9345
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Has anyone travelled in Bisle ghat recently? I am planning to have a round trip of visiting Dharmasthala and Southadka, and planning drive via Bisle ghat. Google is suggesting me to take Chennaraypatna - Holenarasipur - Arakalagud route, Can anyone suggest me if this is a good option to drive
I have recently travelled this way. Route is good. There is a good restaurant called Sri Lakshmi Delicacy in Arakalagud. They had tasty hot Bonda soup.
abhi_krao is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks