Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 09:38   #9346
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
This seems to be the best thread to ask for route help from the all the lovely people of Karnataka.

So we are doing a post-Diwali ride to your beautiful state and need to travel between Madikeri and Jog Falls. A few hours of research and googling throws up these options. I've attached a map.
  • Option 1: Through Sankleshpura, Mudigere and Ballehonnur
  • Option 2: Through Chramadi Ghat, Ballehonnur
  • Option 3: Through Kudremukh, Sringeri, Tirthahallii
  • Option 3: Through Agumbe, Tirthahallii

[/ATTACH]
Let me give another option as you prefer scenic ghat route...Some section of this route could be average /narrow

Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Karkala - Belthangadi - Uppianagadi - Subramanya - Arekatte - Shuntikoppa

https://goo.gl/maps/rrV3cJwRTuLGv4cu8
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 15:46   #9347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
That's a difficult choice as all of these routes are quite scenic and takes you through the heart of Malnad. If I have to pick, I would take the Option 3 through Kudremukh, Sringeri and Tirthahalli.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
Let me give another option as you prefer scenic ghat route...Some section of this route could be average /narrow

Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Karkala - Belthangadi - Uppianagadi - Subramanya - Arekatte - Shuntikoppa

https://goo.gl/maps/rrV3cJwRTuLGv4cu8
Thank you speedmiester and thirugata. Your feedback is very helpful.

Thirugata, I noticed on your suggested route an option to pass through Kudremukh which speedmiester prefers (turn off from Bajagoly to Sringeri to Thirthahalli). Would you pick that over Agumbe?

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 28th August 2022 at 15:48.
Old 28th August 2022, 16:54   #9348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Thank you speedmiester and thirugata. Your feedback is very helpful.

Thirugata, I noticed on your suggested route an option to pass through Kudremukh which speedmiester prefers (turn off from Bajagoly to Sringeri to Thirthahalli). Would you pick that over Agumbe?
I deliberately added Agumbe as this is the best ghat section you can drive. This route involves sharp bends and only mini buses ply this route. Thirthahalli - Bajagoli route has some winding roads, but I prefer Agumbe to any ghat section in this stretch.
Old 29th August 2022, 23:02   #9349
BHPian

I travelled to Mangalore today from Bangalore and back. I went through CR Patna - Holenasirpur - Arkalgud - Hullikhal as I had some work there. From Hullikhal I went through Kodlipete - Shukrawarasanthe - Donnigalu Road - NH 75 Shirdi Ghat - Mangalore.

Shiradi ghat is really in bad shape for the first part, concrete road was fine. Lot of road work after you get down from Shiradi ghat also. We were late for some work in Mangalore and it was really taxing on body for driving fast in Shiradi ghat.

On the way back we took Puttur - Sullia - Madikeri - Kushalnagar - Ramanathpuram - Hullikhal. Superb roads. Ghat roads are ok and less taxing when you drive fast. It was dark when we came back and raining heavily, but not much issues with wide well paved roads. It was also not steep.

If I need to go to Mangalore, I would any day prefer Madikeri route for now over Shiradi ghat. Bangalore to Arkalgud takes about three hours (with breakfast). Arkalgud to Mangalore will take about 5 hours.
Old 30th August 2022, 09:56   #9350

Just an update. I recently travelled from Bangalore to Mangalore via Shirady Ghat route and roads are pretty bad (although I did expect them to be non-existent).
udidecoy.2302 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 11:20   #9351
BHPian

Hi Folks, I plan to travel Mangalore (particularly to a campsite near Ullal) and the shortest route from Bangalore shows this one:

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-mangalore-route.png

I think this is the similar to route: Option 1: Through Sankleshpura, Mudigere and Ballehonnur
as mentioned by "Thirugata" above. But since, I'm not exactly going to Mangalore but few kms before Mangalore city, is there any other route that I can take as I just read horror stories about Shirady Ghat roads above :(
Old 30th August 2022, 12:54   #9352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravarag View Post
Hi Folks, I plan to travel Mangalore (particularly to a campsite near Ullal) and the shortest route from Bangalore shows this one:

Attachment 2352477

I think this is the similar to route: Option 1: Through Sankleshpura, Mudigere and Ballehonnur
as mentioned by "Thirugata" above. But since, I'm not exactly going to Mangalore but few kms before Mangalore city, is there any other route that I can take as I just read horror stories about Shirady Ghat roads above :(
In the current scenario the best ghat route is Sampaje.. it will be longer by 40 odd kms.

https://goo.gl/maps/U23h3851k7YE6eCU9
Old 31st August 2022, 11:08   #9353
BHPian

Traveled to Udupi via Charmadi route (Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Charmadi - Belthangady - Karkala - Udupi). Roads are good for the most part, however, the rains have damaged some sections. Hassan to Belur stretch is broken in several sections. Mudigere to Charmady is in very good condition and fun to drive. Some hairpins in Charmadi have deteriorated. Belthangy - Karkala stretch is broken in several places and one needs to slow down on a couple of occasions. Charmadi was beautiful as usual. This will still be the default route for me.

Charmadi around 10 am.
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc_3795.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc_3828.jpg

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dsc_3836.jpg
Meph1st0 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 13:49   #9354
BHPian

During the return leg, decided to take the route to Charmady. However, in Ujire saw a huge black cloud of smoke. Apparently, there was a fire in a couple of shops (this is what I heard from rickshaw driver), and traffic was stopped. Waited for around 15 minutes and the traffic started to pile up further with no sign of movement. Hence decided to take the route through Shiradi.

The route from Ujire via Dharmasthala was good, two lane road but wide and well tarred. The road widening work is ongoing in NH75, one needs to toggle between left and right depending on where the work is partly done. Shiradi was a breeze to drive with concrete holding well. Once this concrete stretch finishes, the nightmare begins. This stretch is still a two-lane road, widening work has not started and the condition is pathetic. What helped me was the traffic was less as it was a weekday, holiday (shops closed) and no rain. I can't imagine how one would drive on weekends. I would not suggest this route to anyone. After this stretch, one needs to toggle between left or right depending on where the concrete work is complete.
Meph1st0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 18:43   #9355

Need to travel to Sringeri and back to Bangalore over the upcoming weekend, Planning to take Bangalore >> Hassan >> belur >> chikmagalur >> aldur >> balehonnuru >> Jayapura >> Sringeri route.
Can someone please let me know the road condition between Hassan and Sringeri ?

Thanks in advance,.
Old 7th September 2022, 15:10   #9356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatsar View Post
Need to travel to Sringeri and back to Bangalore over the upcoming weekend, Planning to take Bangalore >> Hassan >> belur >> chikmagalur >> aldur >> balehonnuru >> Jayapura >> Sringeri route.
Can someone please let me know the road condition between Hassan and Sringeri ?

Thanks in advance,.
Similar query for Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikamagalur route. Given all the recent rains in Karnataka, hope the road conditions are fine. I am taking my team for an offsite next week and dont want to strand and cause business continuity issues for my company
Old 8th September 2022, 11:07   #9357
BHPian

Hello All Bhpians,
I plan to travel in my Tata Nano from Bangalore to Mangalore on Sunday 11 Sept.
How is the route Via shiradi now? is it ok for safe driving ?
I'm planning for alternate route via Chennarayapatna > Holenarasipur >Arakalgud > Bisle ghat> Bellare > Puttur > Mangalore.

Any suggestions from members is welcome, with thanks in advance.
Old 12th September 2022, 22:43   #9358
BHPian

Hello,

We are planning a visit to Udupi during Oct 2nd week. Usually I would prefer to drive down but this time we will be traveling by train from Blr as other family members would not prefer such long travel by car. Please recommend reliable travel/taxi operators for local roaming and sight seeing.

Thanks for your help.
Old 20th September 2022, 10:56   #9359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Similar query for Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikamagalur route. Given all the recent rains in Karnataka, hope the road conditions are fine. I am taking my team for an offsite next week and dont want to strand and cause business continuity issues for my company
I'm planning to take the route as mentioned here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5390482 (The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi) and will be travelling day after tomorrow. Hoping it to be a smoother drive.
Old 20th September 2022, 23:13   #9360
Senior - BHPian

Had to drive to Kasargod last weekend and decided to take the Channarayapatna - Holenarasipura - Arakalagud - Ramanathapura - Konanur - Kushalnagar - Madikeri - Sullia route. The stretch between Channarayapatna - Arakalagud has developed multiple nasty potholes. Until unless one wants to avoid the weekend rush on the main highways, I would not recommend this route until all the bad sections are fixed. The driving was pretty tiring on this stretch. There are multiple deep potholes that could easily damage the tires.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 20th September 2022 at 23:14.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks