Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2023, 18:45   #9496
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Anyone traveled recently through Hulikal ghats ? According to Gmaps it says closed. Is Agumbe the better route to Kundapura?
SUBRU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2023, 23:17   #9497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBRU View Post
Anyone traveled recently through Hulikal ghats ? According to Gmaps it says closed. Is Agumbe the better route to Kundapura?
Agumbe ghat would be the best route to drive to Kundapura. Hulikal ghats are closed.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 08:03   #9498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
Agumbe ghat would be the best route to drive to Kundapura. Hulikal ghats are closed.
Drove to Brahmavar via Charmady on Saturday and back to Bangalore via Agumbe-Tirtahalli-Tarikere-Hiriyur on Sunday. Route via Agumbe is fantastic with very less traffic.
Old 22nd February 2023, 10:50   #9499
BHPian

Traveled to Kudremukha and then to Padubidri blue flag beach last weekend. Took the Bangalore - Neelamanagala - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere -Kottigehera - Kalasa -Kudremukha - Karakala - Padubidri route. There are few diversions on NH-75 towards Hassan (both lanes) but the diversions are well-tarred. From Kalasa to Sringeri turn-off post Kudremukh, the road is patchy. Some patches have the top layer of the road surface eroded. Post Sringeri crossing, the road to Padubidri is very good. Special Note: I am very impressed with the cleanliness and amenities of Padubidri blue flag beach (my first visit to any blue flag beach).
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:00   #9500
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Special Note: I am very impressed with the cleanliness and amenities of Padubidri blue flag beach (my first visit to any blue flag beach).
That whole stretch is developing into a great beach tourism destination. What are the stay options there like? Homestays mainly?
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 11:38   #9501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
That whole stretch is developing into a great beach tourism destination. What are the stay options there like? Homestays mainly?
Yes, accommodation options are mainly homestays on beach road. Although we did not stay at Padubidri, we stayed at the Kudremukha JLR Bhagavati Nature Camp (a fantastic location in the midst of Kudremukha National Park).
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 13:59   #9502
BHPian

Folks, I am planning to go to Udupi in March 2nd week, with family. Going by the latest updates, planning to take the BLR-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Belthangady-Karkala-Udupi. Google shows a right diversion before Belman via Kodu and joining NH 66 at Katpadi, instead of via Padubidri. Any idea how road condition of this stretch (Belman - Katpadi on SH 67) is? Or should we go via Padubidri?

On Day 2, we will travel from Udupi to Hornadu and then to Sringeri. So I guess, the best route to Hornadu is Udupi-Karkala-Kudremukh-Samse-Kalasa-Hornadu. Please suggest if any alternate is better. Also, any idea on the road condition of this stretch? From Hornadu, there are 3 routes to Sringeri - One via Bajagoly-Kere-Sringeri, 2nd is via Magundi-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri and the 3rd is what google shows via interior roads through Shanthigrama. Which would be the best route to go to Sringeri from Hornadu?

Day 3 - We will go to Murudeswar via Sringeri-Agumbe-Kundapura-Murudeswar. Hope this is the best route. Any suggestion?

Day 4 - Muudeswar to Bangalore via Baindur-Kolur-Thirthahalli-Tarikere-Hiriyur-Bangalore. Any suggestion on this route whether this would be good or any other alternate would be better?

Thanks in Advance
Old 26th February 2023, 14:40   #9503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Folks, I am planning to go to Udupi in March 2nd week, with family. Going by the latest updates, planning to take the BLR-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Belthangady-Karkala-Udupi. Google shows a right diversion before Belman via Kodu and joining NH 66 at Katpadi, instead of via Padubidri. Any idea how road condition of this stretch (Belman - Katpadi on SH 67) is? Or should we go via Padubidri?

On Day 2, we will travel from Udupi to Hornadu and then to Sringeri. So I guess, the best route to Hornadu is Udupi-Karkala-Kudremukh-Samse-Kalasa-Hornadu. Please suggest if any alternate is better. Also, any idea on the road condition of this stretch? From Hornadu, there are 3 routes to Sringeri - One via Bajagoly-Kere-Sringeri, 2nd is via Magundi-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri and the 3rd is what google shows via interior roads through Shanthigrama. Which would be the best route to go to Sringeri from Hornadu?

Day 3 - We will go to Murudeswar via Sringeri-Agumbe-Kundapura-Murudeswar. Hope this is the best route. Any suggestion?

Thanks in Advance
Just wondering why not Bangalore - Kalasa - Horanadu - Sringeri - Udupi - Murudeswar - Bangalore; or Bangalore - Udupi - Murudeswar - Sringeri - Horanadu - Kalasa - Bangalore.

Now answering your question:
Karkala - Belman - Katpadi - Udupi is 2 lane, good condition road.
Karkala - Padubidri - Udupi - excellent condition - 4 lane. (Got toll), so take your pick.

Karkala-Kudremukh-Samse-Kalasa-Hornadu - I did this route couple of years ago, few sections of this route were very narrow, not sure if that has changed. If the section is same and if you see an approaching bus find a wider area and stop, they wont get off the road and for a car getting off is difficult as the edges are deep.

Sringeri-Agumbe-Kundapura-Murudeswar - I drove from Udupi to Bangalore via Agumbe and Chikkamagalur yesterday, so I can comment about part of this section, road is excellent, but again watch out for narrow sections and hairpin bends in Agumbe.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip.

Last edited by thirugata : 26th February 2023 at 14:42.
thirugata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 21:38   #9504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
Just wondering why not Bangalore - Kalasa - Horanadu - Sringeri - Udupi - Murudeswar - Bangalore; or Bangalore - Udupi - Murudeswar - Sringeri - Horanadu - Kalasa - Bangalore.

Hope that helps. Have a great trip.
Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.
Good question - actually we wanted to be in Sringeri on Saturday evening for a reason but at the same time, had to use Friday and Monday from leave perspective....
Old 3rd March 2023, 16:37   #9505
BHPian

Quote:

Karkala - Belman - Katpadi - Udupi is 2 lane, good condition road.
Karkala - Padubidri - Udupi - excellent condition - 4 lane. (Got toll), so take your pick.
As far as I know, Karkala - Padubidri - Udupi does not have a toll gate. Excellent roads indeed. Instead of taking the route via Karkala - Shirva - Katapady, I just go via Padubidri since the roads are much better.
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 08:29   #9506
BHPian

Travelled to Mangalore from BLR previous Saturday. Took the Charmadi ghat route. Roads are good all over. I had started at 3am and reached Mangalore at 12pm with sufficient breaks. I had breakfast at The Growers. They serve awesome crispy dosas and steaming hot idlis.

While coming back I visited Shigandur. I took the Kollur route from Mangalore to Shigandur. The ghats roads are amazing and there are quite a few remote areas with no cellphone connectivity. Make sure you download offline maps, if using Gmaps. I am glad I did.

Took the Holebaghilu ferry service to come towards Sagar (NH369E) and then proceeded towards Ranebennur to catch the NH48 then towards Chitradurga > Tumkur > BLR. Roads were awesome on the way back as well.

Only problem I faced was too many flying insects getting stuck to the windshield and these would not go away with the wiper wash. I had to stop and manually clean with some wet newspaper. Saw 2 other people doing the same when I had stopped for tea break.
Old 6th March 2023, 21:06   #9507
BHPian

Took Sakaleshapura Shiradi Ghat -> Gundya -> Kadaba -> Savanoor to reach Puttur from Bengaluru.
Shiradi Ghat from Hotel Samrat Grand to Kadumane has been pathed up and mostly improved.
Here is dashcam video at 2X Speed, if anyone wants to take the route.
Beyond Gundya, took deviation to avoid ongoing road work.

DetectiveMiles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 08:59   #9508
BHPian

Need help! I will be in Udupi this month end and will be travelling to an interior village in my friend's vehicle or use public transport. Please let me know of a safe and secure place to park my vehicle for the entire day. Preferably near railway station (but safety of the vehicle more important). I am happy with paid parking too.

Quote:

Karkala-Kudremukh-Samse-Kalasa-Hornadu - I did this route couple of years ago, few sections of this route were very narrow, not sure if that has changed. If the section is same and if you see an approaching bus find a wider area and stop, they wont get off the road and for a car getting off is difficult as the edges are deep.
Did this route twice in last few months. The road is now broad enough for 2 buses to pass each other comfortably. However, the road from SK Cross to Kalasa is not in great shape, but drivable.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th March 2023 at 10:06. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 20:34   #9509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Travelled to Mangalore from BLR previous Saturday. Took the Charmadi ghat route. Roads are good all over. I had started at 3am and reached Mangalore at 12pm with sufficient breaks. I had breakfast at The Growers. They serve awesome crispy dosas and steaming hot idlis.

Only problem I faced was too many flying insects getting stuck to the windshield and these would not go away with the wiper wash. I had to stop and manually clean with some wet newspaper. Saw 2 other people doing the same when I had stopped for tea break.
Hi,

I am from Chennai, so not much aware of these routes.
Could you please let me know whether the route from Belur to Mangalore has too many hair pin bends and twisty roads ?

Planning to reach Belur previous evening and start from there to Mangalore next day morning so that the ghats can be done during the day.
Any sectors that we have to take care of.

Also are there any bad sections between Nice road and Belur ?
Is it safe to drive after dusk approaching towards Belur.
Thanks in advance for the reply.
Old 9th March 2023, 20:57   #9510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Hi,

I am from Chennai, so not much aware of these routes
Bangalore to Belur roads are great, absolutely no issues travelling in the evening/late evening or even at night.

Post Belur, yes you'll encounter Charmadi ghat. Lot of hairpin bends. Passengers with motion sickness should definitely take domstal or vomikind, as the case was with my wife. Definitely avoid travelling in the dark in this route if not familiar.
sidzz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks