Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 14:09   #1126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Untill 4 years back I used to take bangalore-magadi-kunigal-channarayapatna-arasikere-shimoga route but now it looks like this route is again worth since roads are better now. My friend started taking same route. Distance wise its same as other normal route.

Ravi.
Ravi the distance between Bangalore - Shimoga via Tumkur-Tiptur is 275 kms.
Whereas
Bangalore - Channarayaptna is ~150kms
Channarayapatna - Arsikere is ~50kms
Arasikere - Shimoga is ~ 120kms
So total is ~320kms, so extra of 45 ~50 kms.
Road condition is almost as same as via Tiptur, so better take this route.
Old 29th September 2009, 14:58   #1127
VBV
BHPian

I drove around last week in the same area. I drove from Chikamagalur to Kukke and back. I used the route: Chikamagalur-> Belur-> Sakleshpura-> Gundya-> Kukke. The first and last leg were good stretches of 20 kms each. Shiradi was bad, but the worst stretch was b/w Belur and Sakleshpura. While coming back, found a slight parallel road, instead of taking Sakleshpura->Arevalli-> Bikkodu-> Belur, I came through Sakleshpura-> Bage->Bikkodu->Belur. This turned out to be a good decision in the end.

Shiradi was an interesting experience, its no longer unmotorable. However, it still is a pain to drive on this. The cement stretches were pretty good. The patches that were bad, required us to drive in 1st or 2nd gear for quite some time. The good thing is that the patches of good and bad roads occured for quite some distances, there by not forcing gear changes every 30 secs. In the case of Belur-> Sakleshpur, that was the problem, it warranted a gear change every few seconds, quite frustrating.

Roads apart, it is definitely the best time to hit the green patched areas of Malnad. The scenery is fantastic, even for a person who's been there multiple times.
Old 29th September 2009, 15:07   #1128
BHPian

I travelled to Mangalore on 25th Sept 2009 and returned yesterday, 28th Sept 2009.

Onward journey was via Madikeri-Mani-Melkar-Thokkottu-Mangalore. Total distance came to 413 kms (office in yelahanka to home in Mangalore). Roads beyond Kushalnagar to Madikeri are bad. 32kms of this stretch took 1 hour 15 minutes. Madikeri to Sampaje is also damaged on almost all the curves. Beyond Sampaje, roads are ok till Mani. Took the Melkar diversion to avoid the BC road mess. Roads are damaged at many places on this Melkar-Thokkottu stretch now. The NH17 from Thokkottu till pumpwell junction also is with potholed sections. I started from office at 5.30pm and reached my home in Mangalore at 4.45am.

On the return journey decided to stick our favourite route - "SHIRADI". Also decided to try the famous "BC Road" stretch. I had only heard about the mess it is in. Left home at 6.40am and managed to reach to Sakaleshpur at 12 noon. Reached Kamat Upachar at 12.30pm. Had lunch at started again at 1.05pm. Reached my brother's home near Hebbal at 4.00pm. I was in my home by 5pm.

Mangalore-BC Road stretch of NH48 is bad. Even diversions are not marked properly. BC Road to Uppinangady is a mix of bad and good stretches. As you near Gundya, the roads will be bad on most curves. I could see that Shiradi has deteriorated in condition. My previous travel on this strech was in the last week of Aug 09. Speeds were between 10 & 20kms on this strech. Mangalore to Sakaleshpur took 5 hours 20 minutes.

Did not take the diversion after Kunigal (to come via Magadi) and came via Nelamangala. Since it was Vijayadashami, not much traffic on the Nelamangala stretch. Total distance door to door was 358kms.

Since all options to drive from Bangalore to Mangalore consists of bad roads, my opinion is to take the Shiradi Ghat route and you will end up with less time on the road when compared with other routes.
Old 29th September 2009, 15:10   #1129
VBV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureshS View Post
Which is the best route now to get to Kukke Subramanya from Bangalore? Is it better to take the Madikeri route or is it better to go via Bisle ghat. I want to try going on the Bisle Ghat. Is it in a drivable condition?
I was told that even red board bus gets its bottom scratched in Bisle. Madikeri is the better route, but if you can withstand some bad roads, Shiradi is still usable.
Old 29th September 2009, 15:24   #1130
Senior - BHPian

I second that, i took thokottu and Melkar while coming back but lost too much times as the roads are bad..

i guess will stick to Shiradi while going..

While coming back i plan to come via Sringeri/Hornadu want to visit the temples.. now am not very sure want to come via Kalsa -Mudigeri will have to go through lots of bad stretch..

any other alternatives?

any updates on "[SIZE=2]Basarikatte - Balehonnur - CKM"??[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
I travelled to Mangalore on 25th Sept 2009 and returned yesterday, 28th Sept 2009.

Onward journey was via Madikeri-Mani-Melkar-Thokkottu-Mangalore. Total distance came to 413 kms (office in yelahanka to home in Mangalore). Roads beyond Kushalnagar to Madikeri are bad. 32kms of this stretch took 1 hour 15 minutes. Madikeri to Sampaje is also damaged on almost all the curves. Beyond Sampaje, roads are ok till Mani. Took the Melkar diversion to avoid the BC road mess. Roads are damaged at many places on this Melkar-Thokkottu stretch now. The NH17 from Thokkottu till pumpwell junction also is with potholed sections. I started from office at 5.30pm and reached my home in Mangalore at 4.45am.

On the return journey decided to stick our favourite route - "SHIRADI". Also decided to try the famous "BC Road" stretch. I had only heard about the mess it is in. Left home at 6.40am and managed to reach to Sakaleshpur at 12 noon. Reached Kamat Upachar at 12.30pm. Had lunch at started again at 1.05pm. Reached my brother's home near Hebbal at 4.00pm. I was in my home by 5pm.

Mangalore-BC Road stretch of NH48 is bad. Even diversions are not marked properly. BC Road to Uppinangady is a mix of bad and good stretches. As you near Gundya, the roads will be bad on most curves. I could see that Shiradi has deteriorated in condition. My previous travel on this strech was in the last week of Aug 09. Speeds were between 10 & 20kms on this strech. Mangalore to Sakaleshpur took 5 hours 20 minutes.

Did not take the diversion after Kunigal (to come via Magadi) and came via Nelamangala. Since it was Vijayadashami, not much traffic on the Nelamangala stretch. Total distance door to door was 358kms.

Since all options to drive from Bangalore to Mangalore consists of bad roads, my opinion is to take the Shiradi Ghat route and you will end up with less time on the road when compared with other routes.
Old 29th September 2009, 16:55   #1131
BHPian

Quote:

Prabhusati, thanks for the update. How bad is it between Kushalnagar-Madikeri-Sampaje, is it motorable for a hatchback/Sedan or needs a SUV?
Old 29th September 2009, 17:02   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Prabhusati, thanks for the update. How bad is it between Kushalnagar-Madikeri-Sampaje, is it motorable for a hatchback/Sedan or needs a SUV?

Mohan, this stretch any car can do...just that it will reduce your speed drastically.
Old 29th September 2009, 17:10   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Between Kushalnagar and Madikeri you can try the

Kushalnagar - Dubare (Elephant Camp) - Chikalli - Madikeri route. Supposedly adds 4 kms but very scenic and beautiful and decent roads too.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:28   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
It is motorable for a hatchback / sedan, but the speed of travel will be anywhere between 10 to 30 kms most of the time. Kushalnagar onwards, there are numerous culverts which have been built recently and there is no approach road. Just mud and stones (and potholes ofcourse). We were overtaken by jeeps ferrying passengers (taxis) and he must have been travelling easily at 50kmph if not more. I for sure cannot do that to my vehicle. Beyond Madikeri till Sampaje, the road is damaged on most of the curves and due to this your speed of travel will be slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
Between Kushalnagar and Madikeri you can try the Kushalnagar - Dubare (Elephant Camp) - Chikalli - Madikeri route. Supposedly adds 4 kms but very scenic and beautiful and decent roads too.
I too saw a mention of this route elsewhere on the net, but Kushalnagar was sleeping when we passed by and there was no one to ask. In such a situation thought that the best way would be to go on the known route rather than venture on an unknown one at night.
Old 29th September 2009, 18:33   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
I too saw a mention of this route elsewhere on the net, but Kushalnagar was sleeping when we passed by and there was no one to ask. In such a situation thought that the best way would be to go on the known route rather than venture on an unknown one at night.
Good decision. You have to ask your way through. Esp. after Dubare. Else you would miss the turn to Chikalli
Old 29th September 2009, 19:11   #1136
BHPian

I travelled to Mangalore and back over the last week. I would strongly recommend against the Shiradi adventure unless you are on a hummer!

Onward journey - Took the Hassan - Shiradi route, started off from Old Madras Road at 12 PM and raced to Sakleshpur by 4:15 PM for lunch. Started off again after a 45 minute lunch with prayers on mind, covered some 15 Kms in decent time and comfort, and wondered why a friend who travelled on this strech less than a month back complained. But then, the ordeal started! The stretch after that was nightmarish, to say the least. The ghat had caved in at a few places with trees hanging over precariously. There are long stretches with absolutely no road whatsover. Thankfully, I took a right much before Uppinangadi towards Dharmasthala and reached my destination past Moodbidri at 8:30 PM.

Return Journey - Took the Moodbidri - Guruvayankere - Ujjire - Charmadi Ghats- Belur - Hassan - Bangalore route. Started off at 11:30 from Moodbidri and was at Nelamangala on the outskirts of Bangalore by 6 PM. A lunch and a tea-break included. Took another 2 hours from there to reach back home.

The Charmadi Ghats, although much sharper, are in way better shape, with sparse traffic. I was surprised to see a lovely stetch just after the ghats till close to Mudgere. But after that till Belur, the roads are quite bad, but do' able. Once in belur, its a breeze to Hassan.

Last edited by car'zy : 29th September 2009 at 19:13.
Old 30th September 2009, 00:12   #1137
BHPian

Thanks for the update car'zy.

I will be starting on Thursday morning from Bangalore towards Mangalore. I was thinking of going through Chikmagalur (as in Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Chikmagalur - Sringeri - Mangalore), but that was adding more than 100 KMs to the total distance.

Now it seems, the shiradi ghat is motorable and I will try "shiradi" while going.
Old 30th September 2009, 21:03   #1138
BHPian

After much deliberations I decided to travel by day train to & fro over the past weekend! It was wonderful experience!

Btw - the road between Kushalanagara & Madikeri is being taken up for upgradation This work is expected to start after this Deepavali & completed before end of the year! Next year they will do Madikeri to Mani I guess!
Old 30th September 2009, 23:12   #1139
BHPian

It is shiradi, for me.

I would be starting from b'lore in the wee hours of friday, and i would be travelling via shiradi. I would be making a brief stopover at kukke and then would be back on highway towards m'lore. Now, am used to the bad bad roads of shiradi and anything better would be a surprise!

I would be starting from JP Nagar, and am planning to take the magadi road this time. I know this road until the BEL colony, and would like to know is there any deviations ahead. Please advise.
Old 1st October 2009, 09:57   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I would be starting from JP Nagar, and am planning to take the magadi road this time. I know this road until the BEL colony, and would like to know is there any deviations ahead. Please advise.
Since you are travelling in the early morning, take RV Road- JC Road - Vidhana Soudha - Sankey Road - IISC - Yeshwantpur - GoraguntePalya. At this point take the left turn and take the ring road towards Magadi Road. At the Magadi Road junction take right and towards Magadi.

Another option will be to take the ring road at JP Nagar and come to Mysore road. Take the ring road again at Kengeri and join Magadi Road. Take the left and go towards Magadi

Once you reach Magadi, pass through Magadi town and then you will have to take the deviation to the right. This road will take you to NH48 just before Kunigal

Last edited by prabhusati : 1st October 2009 at 09:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks