Team-BHP - The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/91125-art-travelling-between-bangalore-mangalore-udupi-8.html)

Rajesh
The Kushalnagar Madikeri road is Ok but not great(the road had been patched last month) you can consider this route but I dont have the recent update on the Bhagamandala - Panathur road. the Madikeri Bagamandala road is good (I drove 3 weeks ago on this streatch)

Best suggestion would be the Mysore - Guldalpet - Sulthan Bathery - Manathawadi - Irritty - Payyanur road in case your driving in the night. But be careful not to get stuck at muthanga checkpost among the truks and the busses. Try reaching around 12~3am at this point to avoid the traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajeshK (Post 924515)
Thanks a lot Ravi for the suggestion.

The road from Kushalanagar to Madikeri is in a bad shape. If taking madikeri route, Madikeri - Bhagamandala - Panathur - Kanjangad - Payyanur is shorter than Sulya route. I got information that these roads are not good at all.

Via gonikopal, we don't required to touch Virajpet. This is the shortest route with only 340km, but the problem is the Perumbadi - Makkutta sector is not at all driveable. 3 Months back I drove via this road, and took 2.30hrs to cover the 17kms stretch.

Considering the Shiradi Ghat condition and as you suggested I am avoiding Hasan route. So taking my usual route Mysore - Guldalpet - Sulthan Bathery - Manathawadi - Irritty - Payyanur which is 430Km.

Thanks
Rajesh

Thanks Nitin..

Quote:

Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan (Post 925136)
Rajesh
The Kushalnagar Madikeri road is Ok but not great(the road had been patched last month) you can consider this route but I dont have the recent update on the Bhagamandala - Panathur road. the Madikeri Bagamandala road is good (I drove 3 weeks ago on this streatch)

The Bhagamandala - Panthur road is around 26km and is full dense forest. Its nice scenic drive in a day time specially in a sunny day during monsoon. I also don't hv recent update on this road condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan (Post 925136)
Best suggestion would be the Mysore - Guldalpet - Sulthan Bathery - Manathawadi - Irritty - Payyanur road in case your driving in the night. .. Try reaching around 12~3am at this point to avoid the traffic.

Thanks...I will try to reach there before 2-3am. I may start from bangalore by around 11:30pm only.

All, sorry for highjacking this tread for a while, lets continue discussion on Bangalore - Mangalore route condition. I am also joining with all of you to pray to the Mining loads to have their blessings on this road.

Thanks
Rajesh

I am planning for a weekend trip to Mangalore (from Bangalore) on independence day. What is the condition of Shirdi ghat section road? Is it motorable? Is there any alternate route?

Shiradi Ghats is pretty Damaged but motorable. Bad patches here and there. The cemented part is fine though. Smooth roads and suddenly you'll find bad patches, This is as of 2 days back, Came through that route as i had been to Dharmasthala. By the Way, had been there in a swift, 5 people in the car.

Hi Jay,

How was the traffic on the Shiradi Ghat road? Especially after the supreme court banning iron ore mining in forest area?

Quote:

Originally Posted by prabhusati (Post 935750)
Hi Jay,

How was the traffic on the Shiradi Ghat road? Especially after the supreme court banning iron ore mining in forest area?

There was traffic but not much, most of the traffic was the trucks itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by java.bullet (Post 934647)
I am planning for a weekend trip to Mangalore (from Bangalore) on independence day. What is the condition of Shirdi ghat section road? Is it motorable? Is there any alternate route?

To see pics of the Road Condition of Shiradi Ghats
Click here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/936712-post110.html

Mangalore is almost islanded from all sides. You cannot reach mangalore from kerala or mysore or bangalore. I have also driven into Mangalore from Sirsi/Karwar side, the roads are bad. I dont understand how they can keep a city totally cut off from other parts. I am due to travel to Mangalore from Mysore now and i am totally scared.it would be great if someone tells what is the state now?

There is landslide reported in Shiradi ghat and other ghats, however rain is expected to calm down from tomorrow.

So expect excellant long week end for tourists :)

Regards,

Ravi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravibhat (Post 937490)
There is landslide reported in Shiradi ghat and other ghats, however rain is expected to calm down from tomorrow.

So expect excellant long week end for tourists :)

Regards,

Ravi.

I am travelling to Mangalore instead of Kodaikanal for the long weekend. Planning to stay in a homestay at madikeri on thursday night and continue my drive to Mangalore on Friday morning. Hope there are no land slides on the route. I heard that the roads are slightly better now. Any ideas?

I'm planning Blr-Mlr via Shiradi during the long weekend. Latest I'm hearing is there has been some landslide and Shiradi ghat is closed for traffic temporarily.
Can someone please confirm this.
Thanks

Guys am heading to Coastal Karnataka finally this coming friday,after a long gap of almost a year and a half. My itinerary is

Day : 1
Drive to Jog from bangy and halt for the 1st night at Murudeshwar.

Day 2:
Murudeshwar to Kundapur and stay at Turtle Bay.

Day 3 :
Sight seeing if possible and catch up with Samurai if time permits.

Day4 :
A friends wedding in Udupi and after that another wedding in Mangalore.

So my need of the hour is the best route to take from and back to Bangalore.Keep your suggestions pouring in and thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramkumar (Post 938042)
I am travelling to Mangalore instead of Kodaikanal for the long weekend. Planning to stay in a homestay at madikeri on thursday night and continue my drive to Mangalore on Friday morning. Hope there are no land slides on the route. I heard that the roads are slightly better now. Any ideas?

Hey Ramkumar,

How was your trip to Mangalore? Can you please update on the road condition especially between Mysore - Madikeri?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 942410)
Day 3 :
Sight seeing if possible and catch up with Samurai if time permits.

After 3 busy weekends, I should be free on this one. So we can meet.

Hey Riju,

Good that you are visiting coastal area Good plan!

While coming back from Mangalore every road is 50-50 now, so I feel if you drive in day time Shiradi ghat is good one compared to via madikeri , via charmadi because there is landslide, bad road even in those ghats too.

You can venture out onething: On day4 after wedding, plan to meet Samurai and stay nearby resort/hotel. Next day drive via Agumbe - Teerthahalli - Shimoga - Bangalore. You will love this!!

Day1: Absolutely fine. tirthankar has driven Honnavar - JOG - Shimoga - Bangalore. Not much bad roads except here and there potholes with not smooth surface, But it won't bore you because of excellant scenary green everywhere. If you leave Nelmangala by 8AM can reach Shimoga by 1pm - lunch - JOG by 3PM. Spend 2 hours there visit both the ends to view the water falls. On the way drop 10 minutes side of the ride to see sharavati river valley and can reach murdeshwar easily by 8PM. Expect bad roads near tarikere - bhadravati, rough surface here and there between shimoga - Honnavar (max 20km out of 150km), From honnavar to Murdeshwara its 50-50 road just carefull about oncoming traffic of bad roads, bus/trucks come in our way to avoid potholes.

Day2 to Day4 perfectly fine. Expect lot of bad roads in NH17.

Have a nice time!

Ravi.

PS Riju you can call me anytime, I will do my best for sure. From mangalore I feel you need to take Mudbidri - karkal - Then via hebri to Agumbe or go directly to Sringeri, I feel Samuari can help you much better about this route.