Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 13:49   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here you go: Mane Adige: Ambade/ Aambode/ Chattambade or simply Dal Vada

It is available all over south canara/Udupi district.
haha thanx for this..my own very hummmbllleee & zimble paruppu(stands for dal in malayalam) vada as it is called in Kerala..this has set me thinking on making some at home today,I just dont get the authentic ones here in Hyd.sigh
Old 6th October 2009, 14:39   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Back from Sakleshura after a long weekend.
The road just after Ballupete to Sakleshpura has taken the beating of heavy rain, certain places are filled with potholes. Rest of the route(BLR-Hassan-Ballupete) is in good condition except the 4 lane deviations at some places.
Old 6th October 2009, 14:59   #1188
MCR
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Subrahmanya - Dharmasthala - Ujire - Udupi - Sringeri - Horanadu during this christmas vacation. I will start on 24.12.2009. The route I will take will be;
Day1 : Mysore - Madikeri - Subrahmanya - Dharmasthala(halt).
Day2 : Dharmasthala - Ujire - Mangalore - Udupi(halt).
Day3 : Udupi - Sringeri - Horanadu(halt).
Day4 : Haranadu - Kalsa - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Mysore.

Hope to catch some BHPians on the way.
Old 7th October 2009, 09:49   #1189
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am planning to visit Udupi during Diwali holidays.I am planning to take the Agumbe route. If anybody had taken this route recently , can they answer my below questions?
1) How is the road condition and how many Kms of bad stretch approximately ?
2) Is it doable in a maruti 800 ? I intend to leave at 4:00 AM
3) What was the exact route that was taken ?

I dont like travelling in bus and want to take the car.

Last edited by @400Kph : 7th October 2009 at 09:55. Reason: Agumbe Route to udupi
Old 7th October 2009, 10:14   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
Hi Guys, I am planning to visit Udupi during Diwali holidays.I am planning to take the Agumbe route. If anybody had taken this route recently , can they answer my below questions?
1) How is the road condition and how many Kms of bad stretch approximately ?
2) Is it doable in a maruti 800 ? I intend to leave at 4:00 AM
3) What was the exact route that was taken ?

I dont like travelling in bus and want to take the car.

I took this route last month. Here is detailed route :

Bangalore-Magadi-Kunigal-Hassan-Belur-Chikmaglur-Aldur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Manipal-Udupi

Break up:
Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Awesome roads as soon as you leave Bangalore
Kunigal - Hassan - So and so. Constructions and road repairs

Hassan - Belur - Chikmaglur - Good roads.

Chikmaglur - Aldur - Sringeri - Agumbe - Good roads for the most part.

Agumbe - Manipal-Udupi - You nightmare would start as soon as you descend from Agumbe. The road goes from bad to worse. Huge potholes will require you to stop the car completely before proceeding. I did this route on my Santro <with 5 people> and I cant remember how many times the bottom of the car scraped the road. Thats for about 5-10kms after Agumbe. Then the roads get slightly better as you go towards Manipal.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1499985

Hope this helps. ^^

~Morgul
Old 7th October 2009, 10:44   #1191
BHPian

As rightly said by Morgul, this is the perfect route and very much doable in 800 except for the stretch after agumbe and around sitanadi. The road stretch is bit bad as it is a single road hence need to drive slowly for about 15-20 odd kilometers. In between some patches are ok. Rest I am sure you will enjoy the drive as it is lush green now and drizzling in heights.

Take the NICE road to reach the Magadi road and you will save hell lot of time and also will be a great start for the journey.

All the best and Happy Journey.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:59   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Well, Morgul has explained the route in detail.

I travelled upto Agumbe on this route the previous saturday. The only place you may have to worry is a couple of spots between Aldur & Balehonnur. You will be riding high on good roads and suddenly you will find crater sized potholes. Just be careful near blind spots. You might just run into a huge crater.

Most of the good stretches have become rough due to the monsoon. But those are manageable, atleast I could, in my Innova. I think you should be able to cover it in the 800 without much hassles.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:04   #1193
BHPian

Thank you so much guys . i am relieved now.I was afraid even this had gone to Shiradi ghat state.I will go ahead and cancell my return tickets from udupi :-) Well looks like i can have some photo sessions too at agumbe !!
Old 7th October 2009, 11:16   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
Thank you so much guys . i am relieved now.I was afraid even this had gone to Shiradi ghat state.I will go ahead and cancell my return tickets from udupi :-) Well looks like i can have some photo sessions too at agumbe !!
Since you plan to leave Bangalore as early as 4 am, you should pass through Agumbe at a good time. When I went, we passed through Agumbe at around 6 pm <thanks to leaving Bangalore late> . It was raining and it was so foggy that I could not see for more than 5 ft in front. It was disappointing since I was hoping for some good photos at Agumbe. T_T

Hope you have better luck. ^^

~Morgul
Old 7th October 2009, 12:03   #1195
Senior - BHPian

I just came via Agumbe last week.. Roads are in OK condition.. worst stretch is after Hebri till someshwar(foothills of Agumbe and few curves at the bottom)

Should be doable on 800 easily.. i could see many 800/Omni taking this route
Old 7th October 2009, 12:14   #1196
MCR
BHPian

@400kph, you can also try this route.

Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kalasa - Kudremukh - Karkala - Udupi.
The roads upto Mudigere are good. Ok upto Kalasa. From Kalasa The roads are good all the way till Udupi.

The distance is almost the same as Agumbe route.
Old 7th October 2009, 12:29   #1197
Senior - BHPian

MCR, roads from Belur to Mudigere is not that good, infact just about few kms of stretch between the roads which take you to Charmadi and Kalsa gets good..again going towards kalsa the road gets rough but kalsa onwards its smooth.
Old 7th October 2009, 12:51   #1198
Senior - BHPian

I thought that the Kudremukh-Karkala road had caved in sometime last month. Has it been repaired already?

Mudigere to Kottigehara-Baalur was in an ok condition, but from Baalur (where you take a left towards Kalasa) to Kalasa, it was very very rough. And I expect no improvements to happen atleast till the rains end.
Old 7th October 2009, 13:17   #1199
MCR
BHPian

@lohitrao,
Yes the Belur - Mudigere road is not in the same league as that of Hassan to Belur or Hassan to Chickmaglur. The Kalasa Kudremukh stretch is good and also very Scenic. The Hanumagundi falls is amazing.
The road from Chickmaglur Via Aldur to Sringeri is ok. But the particular stretches near Aldur are quiet bad.

@addyhemmige,
Are you sure about the caving in on Kudremukh - Karkala road. I never heard about this. This stretch of road is good and from Karkala to Udupi the roads are good and wide.

On the Agume ghat roads, the road concrete slab moves as the cars pass on them. Sometimes this is scary.

Last edited by MCR : 7th October 2009 at 13:20.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:20   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

@addyhemmige,
Are you sure about the caving in on Kudremukh - Karkala road. I never heard about this. This stretch of road is good and from Karkala to Udupi the roads are good and wide.

This news was posted here a few weeks ago. I'm not sure about the present condition though.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1469142

~Morgul

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks