Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 17:25   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Maruru.

Just heard from my colleague that the roads from Mangalore to Kundapura is getting repaied and should be good in a week or 2. Will drive down this weekend to Udupi will keep you guys update.
Old 7th December 2009, 19:49   #1412
BHPian

Guys I am planning to go to Mangalore during Christmas
Any suggestions on good hotel in the range of 1000 to 1500
Old 7th December 2009, 22:16   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Guys I am planning to go to Mangalore during Christmas
Any suggestions on good hotel in the range of 1000 to 1500

You can take Moti Mahal, its near Milagres Church or Poonja International in KS Rao road or Nalapad Resenency near light house. All are in a KMS radius in the heart of the city.

And also you have the Ginger Hotel from Tata Group. But its not in the happening part of Mangalore.

All are in 1000 to 1500 range.
Old 8th December 2009, 09:58   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Kadri.

How about taking Magadi road all the way till it hits NH48? Is it a good option.

I plan to start early in the morning at around 5 am. Any idea on the timings of the Dharmasthala temple?

Also any recommendation of good place to eat at/near Dharmasthala.

Thanks,
DF.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:06   #1415
Senior - BHPian

@aka, Kadri has suggested some good places, you can also try "Ayodhya" & "Woodlands" these hotels should cost a bit less but is good.

Diesel,

Magadi is a good option, i think 12:30 is the pooja and after 1 the temple will be closed till 5 or 6pm.

You can have food at the temple itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Thanks Kadri.

How about taking Magadi road all the way till it hits NH48? Is it a good option.

I plan to start early in the morning at around 5 am. Any idea on the timings of the Dharmasthala temple?

Thanks,
DF.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:24   #1416
Senior - BHPian

patch works

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Thanks Maruru.

Just heard from my colleague that the roads from Mangalore to Kundapura is getting repaied and should be good in a week or 2. Will drive down this weekend to Udupi will keep you guys update.

Yes it is getting repaired. Udupi to Mulki is okay now. The horrible roads still existing between Mulki till Padu Panambur. As usual patch work is going on.

Latest i heard is that there is lot of public demand for 6-laning Suratkal Kundapura road rather than existing plan for 4 laning. How i wish this will come true.

One of my frineds Civic travlled from Tokkottu to Udayavar in 35 minutes last year
Old 8th December 2009, 10:34   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Diesel,

Magadi is a good option, i think 12:30 is the pooja and after 1 the temple will be closed till 5 or 6pm.

You can have food at the temple itself.
Thanks Lohith. How long would it take to reach Dharmasthala from Bangalore? Assuming I leave early in the morning and take a break for about 30 min for breakfast in Hassan. Any tips on driving ?

Thanks DF.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:38   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
KSRTC Airavat's and a few private contract carriage buses (saw most of the buses from "Vishal") are taking this route now.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:48   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kadri.

Thanks,
DF.
If you start around 5 AM with a average speed of 70-80 KMs you would reach around 12PM ot 1PM +/- with some breaks inbetween.

Since you are leaving around 5AM you can take the normal Rajajinagar - Jalahalli cross route. Traffic would be less. But after Nelmangala you would encounter all the incomming Mangalore buses in a chain for sometime. Then it would be a easy drive.

Also its holiday time you may have to stand in Q for sometime in Dharmastala. During holiday time it takes around an hour or more to get Darshan.

Its better you start early and reach there by 11 AM then you are in a comfortable position.

There are plenty of hotels near the temple. But lunch you can have in temple.

And don't miss to visit the Bahubali statue and the Museum in Dharmastala.
Old 8th December 2009, 10:54   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
@aka, Kadri has suggested some good places, you can also try "Ayodhya" & "Woodlands" these hotels should cost a bit less but is good.
I guess it is not Woodlands it is Woodside
Am I correct
Ayodhya i am not able to get it thorough online from any of travel sites like travelguru etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
You can take Moti Mahal, its near Milagres Church or Poonja International in KS Rao road or Nalapad Resenency near light house. All are in a KMS radius in the heart of the city.
And also you have the Ginger Hotel from Tata Group. But its not in the happening part of Mangalore.
All are in 1000 to 1500 range.
Thanks I will check
Old 8th December 2009, 11:04   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Lohith. How long would it take to reach Dharmasthala from Bangalore? Assuming I leave early in the morning and take a break for about 30 min for breakfast in Hassan. Any tips on driving ?

Thanks DF.
You can visit Hoetl Kamath near Chennarayapatna on the highway. Its on the right side when you are going from Bangalore. Its around 3/4 hrs from Bangalore.

Tips on driving:

Do keep horning on the hair pin curves of Charmadi ghats since you cant see the incoming traffic from below. The roads are narrow so if horn the other guy climbing up the ghat would know that you are coming down.

In come curves two vehicles cant pass at a time.

Also beware of the private buses in the coastal districts. They come like aeroplanes. If the head lights are on it means they are racing and will come in wrong side and you need to give side to them. Before you realise they will vanish.

Dont miss to take a camera. The natural beauty of Charmadi is just beautiful.

Last edited by kadri007 : 8th December 2009 at 11:07.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:04   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Yes it is getting repaired. Udupi to Mulki is okay now. The horrible roads still existing between Mulki till Padu Panambur. As usual patch work is going on.

Latest i heard is that there is lot of public demand for 6-laning Suratkal Kundapura road rather than existing plan for 4 laning. How i wish this will come true.

One of my frineds Civic travlled from Tokkottu to Udayavar in 35 minutes last year
Well at the rate they are doing the work seems like our grand childrens will enjoy the road however wider roads mean lots of trees being cut and i hope they dont do that!

btw 4lane should be good enough if they can complete it asap.

Quote:

Thanks DF.

Bangalore to Hassana should take 3-3.5hrs if you leave early, Hassana to Dharmasthala should take about easy 2+hours thanks to the road conditions...
Old 8th December 2009, 11:21   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I guess it is not Woodlands it is Woodside
Am I correct
Ayodhya i am not able to get it thorough online from any of travel sites like travelguru etc

Thanks I will check
You can try Ginger hotel, it is brand new and offers good comfort. Downside, it is situated at the end of Mangalore around 2-3 Kms from city center (Bharath mall). Check out here: Ginger hotels
Old 8th December 2009, 11:36   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Mangalore - Udupi roads

Quote:
Well at the rate they are doing the work seems like our grand childrens will enjoy the road however wider roads mean lots of trees being cut and i hope they dont do that!

btw 4lane should be good enough if they can complete it asap.
added to that our suratkal fly over which is in same state

Any of my kins coming to Suratkal, I say "there is a half constructed fly over infront of bus stand. Just wait below that. I will come and pick" I have been saying this for last 3 years or more i guess. and biggest joke is most of the flyovers constructed as part of Mangalore Suratkal 4 laning are one way fly overs. Pathetic planning.

I too agree about tree cutting part. So many trees will be cut if they are going for 6 lane. Even 4 lane, the number of trees to be cut is not less. I am missing drive to Udupi which we used to have some 2 years back covered by tree shades all over (especially stretch after Padubidri). it was so nice. Used to drive between 50 to 60KMPH on that road with windows down on a hot summer. it was pleasure ride.

Also I sincerely hope they will replant double or triple the number of trees cut so that say after 10 -15 years we shall have cool ride during a hot summer

Last edited by recshenoy : 8th December 2009 at 11:38.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:57   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kadri.

It is a very good option depending on which part of Bangalore you are starting from. If you are in Western & Southern part of Bangalore, I would suggest taking this road. But if in the Northern part, it will be a big roundabout. So, better take the Nelamangala route and leave the city early (before 6 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
KSRTC Airavat's and a few private contract carriage buses (saw most of the buses from "Vishal") are taking this route now.
I don't think Airavats are plying on Magadi road. KSRTC buses are not allowed to take alternate routes other than the scheduled ones. If caught, the drivers are fined.
Private buses are taking this route. I have seen Vishal & Sugama ply on this road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks