Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2009, 17:18   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
Thats true. Majority of the services would be shifted out of Majestic.

Buses coming through Nelamngala basically from Mangalore, Tumkur, etc would halt near Peenya. My friend told KSRTC had taken some huge property some years back near Peenya.
The huge property in Peenya was supposed to be used to build a TTMC - Traffic & Transit Management Center (I really don't know what it means) 2 years back. But supposedly, work hasn't even started.

I don't know how Peenya (already crowded) will cope up with an additional influx of KSRTC buses.
Old 14th December 2009, 09:44   #1442
MCR
BHPian

I will be travelling to Mangalore / udupi on 25.12.2009. I will take the Madikeri road to Mangalore. I want to avoid BC road, can anyone suggest me suitable diversions from Mani upto Mangalore?
Old 14th December 2009, 09:46   #1443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I will be travelling to Mangalore / udupi on 25.12.2009. I will take the Madikeri road to Mangalore. I want to avoid BC road, can anyone suggest me suitable diversions from Mani upto Mangalore?
Only diversion left would be the melkar - thokkotu routing. It will add miles, but will save on the pain.
Old 14th December 2009, 09:51   #1444
BHPian

Quote:
If you are going by train then trains are full. you can look out for tatkal.

You have good number of KSRTC and Private buses daily to both places from Bangalore. But you need to book your tickets immideatly. Its holiday time.

By road Bangalore- Hassan- Charmdai - Dharmastala - Subramanya - Madikeri - Mysore - Bangalore.

Road condition will update on 14th. I am travelling this weekend to Mangalore.

Hey please update the details of road conditions..Thanks
Old 14th December 2009, 10:11   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Deepak take the "KSRTC" that will be the best option for you for now.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:10   #1446
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Only diversion left would be the melkar - thokkotu routing. It will add miles, but will save on the pain.
Thanks.
My car runs on oil and not on fumes, so adding miles will not be a problem.

However I have added Kateel to my list. I will take diversion to Bajpe Airport as soon as I enter BC road and follow the road Modankap-Kalpane-kaikamba-right near holy family girls school-Kateel. I will visit Kateel Durgaparameshwari temple and later return to Mangalore via bajpe road.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:32   #1447
BHPian

To all who want to plan a Trip to Kukke or Dharmastala .

Warning - Heavy warning - Road from Sakleshpura to Kukke and Dharmastala is very bad . Its so bad that it will scrap all small vehicles , sedans available in Indian market .

I took my Scorpio M Hawk yesterday and some how could make it . Scorpio really showed its true colors of being the most trusted SUV in the market .

In the last repair of the Sakleshpur ghats , the turnings have undergone concrete . Where ever they have not done the cementing of the road, those places have gone for dogs . I could see even big trucks struggle to go in this road. Many Airavatha BMTC Volvo buses all had there underbellies scratched .

I will shortly log a detailed travelogue with photos .

My personal opinion is for all to not go on these roads in any kind of vehicles. Please use the train between Bangalore to Kukke to travel between these roads .

Its a shame that Shiradi ghats have this problem for last 5-8 years .
Old 14th December 2009, 17:40   #1448
Senior - BHPian

Ranga, did you say the "scorp" struggled on the "ghat"?
if so then all other vehicles shouldnt even dream of this road

Well the condition got bad in last 4-5years, prior to that it was a dream road!
Old 14th December 2009, 17:56   #1449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Srini, the Shiradi ghat is very motorable now, so thats the best route as of now.
Are you serious, I am not able to get convinced ? Well can you provide more details on the latest conditions of Shiradi ghats ? have they completed the work , or is the work still going on, tarmac or concrete and how many kms of bad vs good portions of the ghats ?
Old 14th December 2009, 18:13   #1450
BHPian

Hi All,

I came back to Bangalore today from Mangalore after a two day visit. And here is the latest update on the road condition.

I had booked in Durgamba Motors sleeper coach bus from Bangalore. It left Bangalore at 10.30 PM.

The first stretch between Bangalore city and Nelamangala came as a surprise to me. The road was very clear in and around Jalahalli , Dasarahalli, 8th Mile stretch. Even at the check post road was quite clear. The bus reached Nelmangala at 11.15 PM. This is despite all the road work happening in this stretch. This stretch has a bit improved.
So i think anyone leaving out of Bangalore can go through the main road itself, there is no need to try out other alternative routes.

One more surprise, the 4 lane road work has picked up between Nelmangala and Kunigal. This stretch has become pretty rough. In many paces the roads are uneven. Be cautious in this stretch. In some places the roads become narrow.

Kunigal to Chenrayapatna is also not that smooth compared to earlier days. My bus managed to reach Udayapura, the Kamath Hotel at around 1.30AM. I found a new KSRTC Volvo that has been put to Kundapura from Bangalore.

Chenrayapatna to Hassan is pretty OK. My bus was just flying and i got a good sleep for a while. Hassan By-pass road stretch is bad as usual. The bus was dancing side to side.

Hassan - Sakleshpur stretch patch work has been completed. Something better than nothing. The road seemed to be OK and my bus was doing some good seed again.

Then comes the Shiradi ghat from Sakleshpur to Nelyadi. One word to say. "Horrible". Though in some places i saw patch work was done. 90% of the road is still in a pathetic shape.

I didn't even get 5 mins of sleep. My bus was coming down the ghat as if it was in a express way. It managed to over take 2 Volvo buses which were struggling to come down.

Another competition between a KSRTC sarige bus and my bus for sometime almost had a experience of a roller coaster ride. I thought if there was a cross country race for buses in the world. Our Indian driver's would win all the first three prizes.

By 4.30 AM it was in Nelyadi and again a tea break of 15 mins. Still the Volvo buses had not come down the ghat. They in fact left Kamath hotel before us.

Nelyadi - Uppinangadi - BC road. Almsot 80% patch work is done, stretch is a bit ok compared to earlier days. BC road - Mangalore - 40% work is completed. But the reaming 60% is just horrible.

And Guess what i reached Mangalore by 6.00AM. That's just in 7.30 Hrs to Mangalore with 30 + 15 mins break.

Overall: I think National Highway 48 needs to be renamed as Village Highway 48.

While coming i took the VRL Volvo. Bus was good. But roads were the same. It was pretty fast but it could not go like Ashok Leyaland in the bad stretch. It left at 10.30PM and reached Bangalore by 6.45 AM Almost 45 mins more than the normal Ashok Leyalnd bus to cover the same distance.

I can say god bless the Bus drivers who still struggle daily in such road condition. I feel the Government must make a resolution that politicians and authorities concerned should travel only by road in a normal bus. Only then these guys would realize our pain.

Photos and other updates in my next post.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:54   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I came back to Bangalore today from Mangalore after a two day visit. And here is the latest update on the road condition.

I had booked in Durgamba Motors sleeper coach bus from Bangalore. It left Bangalore at 10.30 PM.

The first stretch between Bangalore city and Nelamangala came as a surprise to me. The road was very clear in and around Jalahalli , Dasarahalli, 8th Mile stretch. Even at the check post road was quite clear. The bus reached Nelmangala at 11.15 PM. This is despite all the road work happening in this stretch. This stretch has a bit improved.
So i think anyone leaving out of Bangalore can go through the main road itself, there is no need to try out other alternative routes.

One more surprise, the 4 lane road work has picked up between Nelmangala and Kunigal. This stretch has become pretty rough. In many paces the roads are uneven. Be cautious in this stretch. In some places the roads become narrow.

Kunigal to Chenrayapatna is also not that smooth compared to earlier days. My bus managed to reach Udayapura, the Kamath Hotel at around 1.30AM. I found a new KSRTC Volvo that has been put to Kundapura from Bangalore.

Chenrayapatna to Hassan is pretty OK. My bus was just flying and i got a good sleep for a while. Hassan By-pass road stretch is bad as usual. The bus was dancing side to side.

Hassan - Sakleshpur stretch patch work has been completed. Something better than nothing. The road seemed to be OK and my bus was doing some good seed again.

Then comes the Shiradi ghat from Sakleshpur to Nelyadi. One word to say. "Horrible". Though in some places i saw patch work was done. 90% of the road is still in a pathetic shape.

I didn't even get 5 mins of sleep. My bus was coming down the ghat as if it was in a express way. It managed to over take 2 Volvo buses which were struggling to come down.

Another competition between a KSRTC sarige bus and my bus for sometime almost had a experience of a roller coaster ride. I thought if there was a cross country race for buses in the world. Our Indian driver's would win all the first three prizes.

By 4.30 AM it was in Nelyadi and again a tea break of 15 mins. Still the Volvo buses had not come down the ghat. They in fact left Kamath hotel before us.

Nelyadi - Uppinangadi - BC road. Almsot 80% patch work is done, stretch is a bit ok compared to earlier days. BC road - Mangalore - 40% work is completed. But the reaming 60% is just horrible.

And Guess what i reached Mangalore by 6.00AM. That's just in 7.30 Hrs to Mangalore with 30 + 15 mins break.

Overall: I think National Highway 48 needs to be renamed as Village Highway 48.

While coming i took the VRL Volvo. Bus was good. But roads were the same. It was pretty fast but it could not go like Ashok Leyaland in the bad stretch. It left at 10.30PM and reached Bangalore by 6.45 AM Almost 45 mins more than the normal Ashok Leyalnd bus to cover the same distance.

I can say god bless the Bus drivers who still struggle daily in such road condition. I feel the Government must make a resolution that politicians and authorities concerned should travel only by road in a normal bus. Only then these guys would realize our pain.

Photos and other updates in my next post.
The main reason for this road condition is Bellary Iron mines transport. They overload lorries many times over. This road will never improve till this stops.

I still remember those butter smooth road in my college days when we used to travel in bikes from Hassan till shiradi for small rides. Those were the days when 100's of oil tanker used to move on this road but roads were so good.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:12   #1452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
The main reason for this road condition is Bellary Iron mines transport. They overload lorries many times over. This road will never improve till this stops.

I still remember those butter smooth road in my college days when we used to travel in bikes from Hassan till shiradi for small rides. Those were the days when 100's of oil tanker used to move on this road but roads were so good.

Be it on my Friday's journey to Mangalore or Sunday's journey back to Bangalore. I did not find any mine trucks. That could be one of the reason for my bus reaching so early to Mangalore. I think mining has been stopped after the Central teams visit.

I do remember when i came to Bangalore almost 7.5 years back. The roads were just smooth like butter and any bus would travel not less than 90 or 110.

Hopefully once the 4 lane work between Hassan - Bangalore and BC road- Mangalore gets completed along with the concrete roads in Shiradi ghat. I think our sweet memories wold come back.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:18   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Be it on my Friday's journey to Mangalore or Sunday's journey back to Bangalore. I did not find any mine trucks. That could be one of the reason for my bus reaching so early to Mangalore. I think mining has been stopped after the Central teams visit.

I do remember when i came to Bangalore almost 7.5 years back. The roads were just smooth like butter and any bus would travel not less than 90 or 110.

Hopefully once the 4 lane work between Hassan - Bangalore and BC road- Mangalore gets completed along with the concrete roads in Shiradi ghat. I think our sweet memories wold come back.
After JD(s) govt went down, it seems 4 lane work has slowed down a bit, main office of nation highway authority was shifted from Hassan to shimoga within 15 days after govt came to power. It seems revenge politics, since BJP did not win a single seat from Hassan, dont know what other people thinks, but people in Hassan district does have lot of hatered against this Govt. But one thing Revanna did good was he has released 200 crore for the project already, i see work going on till Bellur cross only, hope fund released is not only till this point.

Hope govt understands revenge politics wont work for long. This road is not for Hassan only, it connects managalore and chikmagalur which it has significant base.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:22   #1454
BHPian

I heard the BC road to Mangalore road via Neermaga has improved. You will need to take a right in BC road and ask for Neermaga. It will connect to NH 13 near Kulshekar.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:22   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
.....i see work going on till Bellur cross only, hope fund released is not only till this point.

Hope govt understands revenge politics wont work for long. This road is not for Hassan only, it connects managalore and chikmagalur which it has significant base.
I don't think 4 laning work until Bellur cross has slowed down. But, I doubt that work on the Bellur cross-Hassan stretch will even start, atleast till this govt is in power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks