Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 17:00   #1471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I guess it is not Woodlands it is Woodside
Am I correct
Ayodhya i am not able to get it thorough online from any of travel sites like travelguru etc

Thanks I will check
Woodlands is a very famous and old hotel. It is on the Jyothi theatre-Bunts Hostel road. It is also popular for its breakfast and evening tea car service. Hotel Ayodhya is near PVS circle. Hope it helps.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:02   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
The Bangalore-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-Mangalore is the best way to get to Mangalore from Bangalore as of now if you are travelling by your own vehicle. Did this route last weekend in an Indica and it is slow but manageable and much much better than Shiradi.
Bangalore-Kushalnagar is a breeze as usual. Kushalnagar-Madikeri is horrendous to say the least. Try the Kushalnagar-Dubare-Bylakuppe-Siddapura-Madikeri route instead. This road adds 12 kms to your distance but can be done much faster thanks to its even nature. Madikeri-Sampaje ghat road is also bad. The onward road to Sullia is good in patches. Sullia-mani(Before BCRoad) is excellent. The less said about Mani-BCRoad-Mangalore the better Overall you get about 320 kms of good roads in a jurney of 410kms.
So its almost 70kms more than Shiradi ghat road. Any one has idea how Hassan-mudigeri-Kottigehara-charmadi Ghat road is now?
Old 16th December 2009, 17:12   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
So its almost 70kms more than Shiradi ghat road. Any one has idea how Hassan-mudigeri-Kottigehara-charmadi Ghat road is now?

Bangalore-Managlore through Shiradi is 360kms. So 50kms to be precise. If you take the normal Kushalnagar-Madikeri road it is only 38kms more than the Shiradi road. But I have preferred this road over Shiradi in the last 2 years to save mine and my vehicle's suspension and have seen it going from bad to good to very good to bad again
Old 16th December 2009, 17:30   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
It should be around 30KMS more from what i have heard.

Generally when the Shiradi ghat gets blocked. Buses take Charmadi ghat only its shorter than Madikeri route.

If you love nature and want a memorable drive down the ghat then Charmadi is the best option. The views are just excellent.
Old 17th December 2009, 07:38   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
The Bangalore-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Madikeri-Sullia-Puttur-Mangalore is the best way to get to Mangalore from Bangalore as of now if you are travelling by your own vehicle. Did this route last weekend in an Indica and it is slow but manageable and much much better than Shiradi.
Bangalore-Kushalnagar is a breeze as usual. Kushalnagar-Madikeri is horrendous to say the least. Try the Kushalnagar-Dubare-Bylakuppe-Siddapura-Madikeri route instead. This road adds 12 kms to your distance but can be done much faster thanks to its even nature. Madikeri-Sampaje ghat road is also bad. The onward road to Sullia is good in patches. Sullia-mani(Before BCRoad) is excellent. The less said about Mani-BCRoad-Mangalore the better Overall you get about 320 kms of good roads in a jurney of 410kms.
Is the route from Hassan->Sakleshpur Mangalore is not good from Bangalore
I am planning to start on 25th Dec morning
Old 17th December 2009, 10:07   #1476
BHPian

Fellow TBHP'ans.

As told earlier, I am on my way to Dharmasthala on 24, 25, 26 and 27. We have tweaked the plan to accommodate Sringeri also. Now the places of interests in the order of Visits are
1. Sringeri, 2. Horanadu, 3. Dharmasthala, 4. Subramanya

I have mapped the route on Google (below), please let me know about the road conditions along the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-dharmasthala.jpg  

Old 17th December 2009, 10:14   #1477
BHPian

From Bannerghatta Road (IIM) to Mangalore (Pump well) via Shiradi Ghat - 360 KMs.
From Bannerghatta road (IIM) to Mangalore via Madikeri - 410 KMs.

I did these routes recently in my Ritz. Madikeri route is much better when compared to Shiradi ghat. Also, i would suggest to take Mangalore university route to reach Mangalore in stead of taking pathetic BC Road.

Last edited by funda2max : 17th December 2009 at 10:17.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:31   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Fellow TBHP'ans.

As told earlier, I am on my way to Dharmasthala on 24, 25, 26 and 27. We have tweaked the plan to accommodate Sringeri also. Now the places of interests in the order of Visits are

I have mapped the route on Google (below), please let me know about the road conditions along the trip.
Options:

Blore - Mysore bypass - Madikeri- Sullya- Subramanya - Uppinangadi - Belthangady- Ujrie - Dharmastala - Charmadi - Kotthighera - Kalasa - Horanadu - Kalasa - Balehonnuru - Sringeri - Balehonnuru - Aldur - Chickmaglur - Hassan - Kunigal - Bangalore.

Blore - Mysore bypass - Madikeri - Sullya - Subramanya - Gundya - Dharmastala - Belthangady - Mudabidri - Karkala - SK Boarder - Sringeri - Balehonnur - Kalasa - Horanadu - Kalasa - Aldur - Chickmaglur - Hassan - Blore.

Advantage: You can visit Mudabidri 1000 pillar Jain temple and Karkala Gomateshwara and also Kodyadka Annapoorneshwari temple, Soan's farm, etc.

With a bit of detour you can visit Kudremukha also.

From Subramanya - It would be ideal to take the uppinandagi - Belthangady route to Dharmastala.

If you want to skip Mudabidri- Karkala , you can take Dharmastala - Belthangadi - Naravi - Bajagoli - Sk boarder route to Sringeri.

Last edited by kadri007 : 17th December 2009 at 10:44.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:39   #1479
Senior - BHPian

I would choose option 2 as the road is good and very scenic, though i gues its bit longer.

Kadri, how are the road conditions from Bajagoli to sk border?
Old 17th December 2009, 10:40   #1480
BHPian

@Kadri007, I am starting with Sringeri from bangalore and down to Subramanya at the last.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:46   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow TBHP'ans.

Bangalore-magadi-kunigal-hassan-chikmagalur is better route to take than tumkur and tiptur.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:02   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
@Kadri007, I am starting with Sringeri from bangalore and down to Subramanya at the last.
The only sensible route to Sringeri is this : Bangalore - NICE road - Magadi - Kunigal - CR Patna - Hassan - Belur - Chikmaglur - Vastare - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri. Roads are good throughout and very scenic. Depending on your speed, you should be able to cover the distance in 6 to 8 hours.

But if you have time do go via Mudigere - Kottigehara - Kalasa - Kudremukh road. The road surface is not great in the first half, but it's straight out of a picture postcard. Stay over at Kalasa the first night and trust me, you won't repent it. Hornadu is about half an hour from Kalasa. There an amazing road from Horanadu to Jayapura, IIRC ,which will take you to Sringeri.

Rest of the route is as Kadri pointed out -

From Sringeri : SK border - Karkala - Belthangadi - Ujire - Dharmasthala - Gundya - Subramanya.

Return : Subramanya - Sulya - Sampaje - Madikeri - Kushalnagar - Mysore - Bangalore.

There was a post a page or two back on how to avoid the dreadful Madikeri - Kushalnagar stretch.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:04   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I would choose option 2 as the road is good and very scenic, though i gues its bit longer.

Kadri, how are the road conditions from Bajagoli to sk border?
It was one of the best roads earlier. It was built by the Army. I have not heard anything recently. Hence i feel no news may be good news.
Old 17th December 2009, 11:12   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Kadri, what if the driver brakes hard? incase of the sleeper?
Good question Lohith! Guess one would have to sleep with his feet to the front of the bus!
Old 17th December 2009, 11:17   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
It was one of the best roads earlier. It was built by the Army. I have not heard anything recently. Hence i feel no news may be good news.
Its still awesome. Barring the shoddy work done at that collapsed bridge.

Most Viewed