Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2008, 09:40   #301
BHPian

udupi - kukke route query

From Eicher road map, I see two routes between UDUPI and SUBRAMANYA.

UDUPI - MANIPAL - KARKAL - MOODABIDRI - BANTWAL - MANI - PUTTUR - PANAJA - SUBRAMANYA

UDUPI - MANIPAL -KARKAL - BELTANGADI - UPPINANGADI - KADABA - SUBRAMANYA

I see MOODABIDRI - BANTWAL to be smaller road. KARKAL - BELTANGADI is a major road, according to the map depictions.

Can you please suggest which route is better?
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:47   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilrs View Post
From Eicher road map, I see two routes between UDUPI and SUBRAMANYA.

UDUPI - MANIPAL - KARKAL - MOODABIDRI - BANTWAL - MANI - PUTTUR - PANAJA - SUBRAMANYA

UDUPI - MANIPAL -KARKAL - BELTANGADI - UPPINANGADI - KADABA - SUBRAMANYA

I see MOODABIDRI - BANTWAL to be smaller road. KARKAL - BELTANGADI is a major road, according to the map depictions.

Can you please suggest which route is better?
Another route is UDUPI-MANIPAL-KARKALA-BELTHANGADI-UJIRE-DHARMASTHALA-GUNDYA-KUKKE SUBRAMANYA
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:47   #303
BHPian

Which route is better ?
Planning to go to mangalore this week. Its been around 3 months I had taken these roads.
So please give me latest update on both the options :
1 . Bangalore- Hassan- Belur - Dharmasthala - Belthangadi- Mangalore
2. Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Sullya - Puttur - Mangalore.

Thanks in advance.
Nithin
Old 24th December 2008, 11:22   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Which route is better ?
2. Bangalore - Mysore - Madikeri - Sullya - Puttur - Mangalore.
Voting for this route, again, which is in fact Bangalore - Srirangapatna - KRS detour - Hunsur - Madikeri - Sullya - Puttur - Mangalore.
Took the above route by car last week with day trip towards M'lore and the returned during the night. By far the best route. Distance from Chord Road-Mysore road intersection to M'lore is 380 kms. With this is as the start point, you will find good roads upto about 215kms. From this point on to Madikeri town (about 30kms), the roads are beaten but not bad. The travel through Sampaje ghats (another 25kms or so) is not so good again, but definetely better than the Shiradi stretch. They have newly laid the road between Sullia to Maani (too good but narrow), and good roads again till the entrance of BC Road. BC Road to M'lore is lined with 4-lane road construction in progress and a bit dusty.

Finally, drive safe, as the roads are really tempting for most portion of this route.
Old 24th December 2008, 14:23   #305
Senior - BHPian

How is the charmadi section ? the one which joins near ujire..

I feel those who want to avoid mangalore this is a good option...any update on latest condition ?
Old 24th December 2008, 14:43   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
How is the charmadi section ? the one which joins near ujire..

I feel those who want to avoid mangalore this is a good option...any update on latest condition ?
Last time I travelled in this road was almost 2 months back, by then the road condition was good. But they were not allowing any HTV's/Bus as there was much of landslide happening in that area due to heavy rain.
One can take this route ( BLR_HASSAN-MUDIGERE-CHARMADI-UJIRE)
Old 24th December 2008, 15:35   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
One can take this route ( BLR_HASSAN-MUDIGERE-CHARMADI-UJIRE)
Thanks Sush

I personally feel that it makes more sense to take this road if you are not planning to go to mangalore(just to avoid all the traffic b/w BC Road-mangalore-Suratkal) else i too agree with mysore-madikeri route

Only concerned about the road condition though.. travelling on Jan first week or so

Hope to get a clear idea about latest condition of this road by then
Old 24th December 2008, 15:42   #308
Senior - BHPian

raj my friend be prepared to drive through some bad patch but yes this route seems to be promising

btw many seem to be heading towards Mlore....am soo tempted to go...
Old 25th December 2008, 04:06   #309
BHPian

@dkamath, i agree with you whole-heartedly.Went to Mangalore and back over the weekend. This route seems to be the best bet now. Roads till Kushalnagar awesome as usual. Kushalnagar-Madikeri is not good although it is pothole free. Seems like some sort of road-widening activity is going on. Madikeri-Sullia is bad especially the Sampaje ghats which has some pretty big potholes now compared to when I went in October. After the ghats, they have patched up all the potholes but road texture remains rough hence the ride is uncomfortable. This total stretch is around 50KM.They have relaid the entire section from Sullia to Mani and it is a pleasure to drive on the long winding curvy roads. However, be careful of the jeep and truck drivers who are also out to enjoy their drivesMani to BC Road is a good stretch of NH-48. BC Road to Mangalore remains pathetic as usual except for that work is going on in full swing, hence there is hope. Total distance is 390 km if you take the Ranganthittu bypass after Srirangapatna.
Old 25th December 2008, 23:09   #310
Senior - BHPian

Road between Murudeshwar and Udupi is mostly repaired.

I did Honnavar to Udupi today by NH17 and except some 20km rough stretch the road was very decent with almost no pot holes.
Old 26th December 2008, 10:37   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
Madikeri-Sullia is bad especially the Sampaje ghats which has some pretty big potholes now compared to when I went in October.
Hey Taz

Can you tell me the distance in km which has gone bad ? my BIL had driven about a month back and he had told one can manage these roads

I have recently gone till kushal nagar and i know the road is just great with 4 lanes

Also can anyone update on Inner roads(Bantwal to udupi) via mudbidri-karkala (I checked in Yahoo maps and it shows this as shortest route) and also i can save BCRoad-mangalore-mulki stretch

@Lohit, i am still hopeful of avoiding Mangalore lets see ..depends on what update i get on the moodbidri roads

Last edited by rajshenoy : 26th December 2008 at 10:40.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:00   #312
Senior - BHPian

Raj, Moodbidri roads are good, had taken that road a month back...just that they are lil narrow but the traffic is not much.

But one needs to be lil careful on the road from Moodbidre to Mlore as its narrow and traffic is lil high on it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hey Taz

Can you tell me the distance in km which has gone bad ? my BIL had driven about a month back and he had told one can manage these roads

I have recently gone till kushal nagar and i know the road is just great with 4 lanes

Also can anyone update on Inner roads(Bantwal to udupi) via mudbidri-karkala (I checked in Yahoo maps and it shows this as shortest route) and also i can save BCRoad-mangalore-mulki stretch

@Lohit, i am still hopeful of avoiding Mangalore lets see ..depends on what update i get on the moodbidri roads
Old 26th December 2008, 13:27   #313
BHPian

Raj,
Around 25km between Madikeri and Sullia in the Sampaje ghats is bad. There are quite a few potholes and takes around 45mins to do this stretch. After that they have patched up the road haphazardly so ride is rough even though there are no potholes.
Just after BC Road when you are coming form the Bangalore side, there is a right turn that connects to the Mangalore-Moodabidri road at a place called Kaikamba. This road is a single road but is good and traverses through places called Kolatthamajal,Polali and Addoor. After BC Road, keep looking to your right and you will see a main road with an arch or 'DWARA' as it is called in these parts. This is the arch leading to the famous Polali temple. This way you will save on BCRoad-Mangalore-Suratkal as well if you go via Moodabidri to Udupi.
Old 26th December 2008, 16:03   #314
Senior - BHPian

Yes this road is newly laid but very narrow, had taken this route few months back enjoyed but from Polali till 1 place forgot the name thier is a regular bus service...so you need to watch out that these guys are fast and wont let you the place so you need to get out of the road....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz-On-The-Road View Post
Raj,
Around 25km between Madikeri and Sullia in the Sampaje ghats is bad. There are quite a few potholes and takes around 45mins to do this stretch. After that they have patched up the road haphazardly so ride is rough even though there are no potholes.
Just after BC Road when you are coming form the Bangalore side, there is a right turn that connects to the Mangalore-Moodabidri road at a place called Kaikamba. This road is a single road but is good and traverses through places called Kolatthamajal,Polali and Addoor. After BC Road, keep looking to your right and you will see a main road with an arch or 'DWARA' as it is called in these parts. This is the arch leading to the famous Polali temple. This way you will save on BCRoad-Mangalore-Suratkal as well if you go via Moodabidri to Udupi.
Old 29th December 2008, 00:05   #315
Senior - BHPian

Suliya to Kushalnagar (Sampaje Ghat) is very bad with lots of big potholes. I did this stretch today - mostly in 2-3rd gear. Took about 1:45 hrs to cover 73 kms.

Kushalnagar onwards all the way to Bangalore is excellent road.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th December 2008 at 07:42. Reason: Typo, it is Sampaje, not Sampige

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks